Education on the NCL Joy, Haven (H2) Deluxe Owners Suite with Large Balcony Cabin #18700

Sthrngary

When I ask for folks that have had actual experience in a specific suite on other social media outlets, I get lots of push back. Especially when the suite is in the Haven.  Prior to cruising, I love to have an exactly accurate idea of the details and particulars of my suite.  It helps me prepare and set my ever so important expectations.  So, I write this topic on cruisecritic.com with the hope some of you out there can educate me.

Those that read my op-eds know, I fully understand the NCL Haven.  It is my cruising approach of choice.  The issue and question is about this specific category of Haven Suite. 

First let me say, I got very luck.  Really lucky and I know it.  Pre-covid, I had a NCL cruise on the NCL Encore to Bermuda May 2020 in a Haven Two-bedroom Family Villa for five (5) adults (My family).  It was for my 40-wedding anniversary, so it was going to be incredibly special.  As logic will tell you, this cruise was cancelled.  I took the Future Cruise Credits which at the time was 125%, instead of a cash refund. 

I then booked the Encore again for May 2021 now to Alaska.  This was a destination I always wanted to go to.  Because of the disappointment, I notice I could upgrade my Haven Suite to the elusive and normally unattainable and unaffordable Haven (H2) Deluxe Owners Suite.  This is a two-bedroom on steroids.  It was going to cost me a few thousand dollars more, but I had a year to come up with it. Now it was going to be our 41-wedding anniversary.  The key word here is Alaska.  CANCELLED again.

I got really frustrated as my May 2021 cruise was a few months away knowing it was going to be cancelled.  The writing was on the wall.  I then got strategic.  I booked May 2022 on the Encore for Alaska and November 27, 2021 on the Joy waiting for my May 2021 cruise to cancel.  When it did, I made a decision to go on the Joy in the end of November 2021.  I wish it was the Encore however the Joy is a sister ship and almost identical. 

That is my story, and I am sticking to it, LOL.  Can anyone tell me their opinion of the Haven (H2) Deluxe Owners Suite with Large Balcony on the NCL Joy.  The Suite is 18700.  18100 is the exact same suite.  What information I am looking for is:

1.      Likes and Dislikes.  Please if possible, tell me why.

2.      Accurate Amenities especially if different from other Haven Suites

3.      Any other differences from a normal Haven Suite other than size.

4.      General Overview of this suite.

This for my family and I will be a bucket list cruise suite and experience.  I just want to get every ounce of enjoyment out of it.  This will be my adult children’s first experience in the Haven on any NCL ship.  It will be my daughters’ significant others first cruise ever.

Thank you for any education you provide.  It will be very much appreciated.

9 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

When I ask for folks that have had actual experience in a specific suite on other social media outlets, I get lots of push back. Especially when the suite is in the Haven.  Prior to cruising, I love to have an exactly accurate idea of the details and particulars of my suite.  It helps me prepare and set my ever so important expectations.  So, I write this topic on cruisecritic.com with the hope some of you out there can educate me.

Those that read my op-eds know, I fully understand the NCL Haven.  It is my cruising approach of choice.  The issue and question is about this specific category of Haven Suite. 

First let me say, I got very luck.  Really lucky and I know it.  Pre-covid, I had a NCL cruise on the NCL Encore to Bermuda May 2020 in a Haven Two-bedroom Family Villa for five (5) adults (My family).  It was for my 40-wedding anniversary, so it was going to be incredibly special.  As logic will tell you, this cruise was cancelled.  I took the Future Cruise Credits which at the time was 125%, instead of a cash refund. 

I then booked the Encore again for May 2021 now to Alaska.  This was a destination I always wanted to go to.  Because of the disappointment, I notice I could upgrade my Haven Suite to the elusive and normally unattainable and unaffordable Haven (H2) Deluxe Owners Suite.  This is a two-bedroom on steroids.  It was going to cost me a few thousand dollars more, but I had a year to come up with it. Now it was going to be our 41-wedding anniversary.  The key word here is Alaska.  CANCELLED again.

I got really frustrated as my May 2021 cruise was a few months away knowing it was going to be cancelled.  The writing was on the wall.  I then got strategic.  I booked May 2022 on the Encore for Alaska and November 27, 2021 on the Joy waiting for my May 2021 cruise to cancel.  When it did, I made a decision to go on the Joy in the end of November 2021.  I wish it was the Encore however the Joy is a sister ship and almost identical. 

That is my story, and I am sticking to it, LOL.  Can anyone tell me their opinion of the Haven (H2) Deluxe Owners Suite with Large Balcony on the NCL Joy.  The Suite is 18700.  18100 is the exact same suite.  What information I am looking for is:

1.      Likes and Dislikes.  Please if possible, tell me why.

2.      Accurate Amenities especially if different from other Haven Suites

3.      Any other differences from a normal Haven Suite other than size.

4.      General Overview of this suite.

This for my family and I will be a bucket list cruise suite and experience.  I just want to get every ounce of enjoyment out of it.  This will be my adult children’s first experience in the Haven on any NCL ship.  It will be my daughters’ significant others first cruise ever.

Thank you for any education you provide.  It will be very much appreciated.

Hey Gary,

I don't have personal experience in H2 on the Joy, yet.  I am booked in 18100 on he Jan sailing, so like you I have been doing my due diligence.  I have watched both those video's that BirdTravels posted several times.  In the floor plan renderings and promotional pictures NCL published, there is a comfortable looking chair in the living room area.  However, I notice in both video's there is no chair.  Just something I noticed.

Danny makes great videos.  Always informative and relevant.  One of his best tips is to bring EU to US plug adapters so one can maximize use of all the wall sockets.  I sail with two teenagers, so phones, iPads, cameras, etc are always needing charging.  Its a great tip.

Following this thread for my own edification.

Hello Gary,

I will be sailing in 18100 for a back to back for the first 2 sailings out of Jamaica. I will be happy to report back on our experience! 

in the interim, I would love to hear the experiences of any who have enjoyed those suites on prior sailings.  I am also a planner.

Excited for this next adventure!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kruiserkatie said:

Hello Gary,

I will be sailing in 18100 for a back to back for the first 2 sailings out of Jamaica. I will be happy to report back on our experience! 

in the interim, I would love to hear the experiences of any who have enjoyed those suites on prior sailings.  I am also a planner.

Excited for this next adventure!

Back to Back, that is fantastic.  Not sure when you are sailing.  I think you will sail in the summer.  So you will be the first.  Thank you for posting. 

4 hours ago, WarfRatWA said:

Hey Gary,

I don't have personal experience in H2 on the Joy, yet.  I am booked in 18100 on he Jan sailing, so like you I have been doing my due diligence.  I have watched both those video's that BirdTravels posted several times.  In the floor plan renderings and promotional pictures NCL published, there is a comfortable looking chair in the living room area.  However, I notice in both video's there is no chair.  Just something I noticed.

Danny makes great videos.  Always informative and relevant.  One of his best tips is to bring EU to US plug adapters so one can maximize use of all the wall sockets.  I sail with two teenagers, so phones, iPads, cameras, etc are always needing charging.  Its a great tip.

Following this thread for my own edification.

So lets share what we know.  1) They will give us three bottles of spirits or wine on day one.  They have a list and we can choose. 2) The mixers and waters in this suite are refreshed daily.  Unlike any other suite, they are complementary.  After all my work, study and research; everything else about this suite is the same as any other Haven Suite.  The biggest differentiate is the size, location, and large wrap around balcony. 

So if we have ever traveled in the Haven, it should be similar.  My hopes are that some folks can tell us both if their is anything else that is a benefit, or amenity that we don't know about. I promise when I cruise, I will do a detailed review if for no other reason that I won't ever be able to afford this suite again.  Something to look back on. Cruise well everyone.

we sailed the Bliss H2 in April 2019 (our 4th on the Bliss from April 2018)

The largest difference was the attention of the Butler and the room steward - they made themselves available and looked for ways to assist. They were much more obvious in the attention, without being obnoxious. Our 7 month old GD got lots of attention from Butler, crew & officers!

I sailed the Getaway in Oct 2019 in H6 and the Butler didn't recognize me at the "disembarkation meeting" on a 19 day cruise - was certainly different from the Bliss 

12 minutes ago, YVRBassElectric said:

The largest difference was the attention of the Butler and the room steward - they made themselves available and looked for ways to assist. They were much more obvious in the attention, without being obnoxious. Our 7 month old GD got lots of attention from Butler, crew & officers!

I sailed the Getaway in Oct 2019 in H6 and the Butler didn't recognize me at the "disembarkation meeting" on a 19 day cruise - was certainly different from the Bliss 

Very interesting, I also have found butlers hit or miss. This is excellent information.  The best Butler’s by rating could be getting the more expensive suites.  My last butler was in a Spa Suite and was ok, not great.  Thank you

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Very interesting, I also have found butlers hit or miss. This is excellent information.  The best Butler’s by rating could be getting the more expensive suites.  My last butler was in a Spa Suite and was ok, not great.  Thank you

We sail mostly H6 & have had good to great service (we never eat in-suite & are pretty low maintenance) but Getaway was disappointing!  We hit 2 storms, missed Azores, I was in bed sea sick, celebrating my Birthday & Butler didn't even call. We scheduled Oceania after that trip but hubby hated it. (medically I wasn't able to travel, so won't get to try Oceania)

Butler's do make a huge difference in the trip (something I wouldn't have believed before sailing the Haven)

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Very interesting, I also have found butlers hit or miss. This is excellent information.  The best Butler’s by rating could be getting the more expensive suites.

Butlers rotate I believe every 2 weeks. The butler may be more attentive when working the most expensive suites, though (for obvious reasons). 

When working the aft-facing suites, only one butler handles all of them. It's understandable when some in those suites have less than spectacular service. My experience has been excellent when in those suites but others have had the opposite. It also depends on how "needy" the other suite guests are since butlers are shared. 

• Like 1

NCL recently converted a bunch of concierge suites to Haven rooms. The Haven facilities (lounge, sundeck, restaurant) were designed to handle the 80 Haven suites. Now there are a lot more Haven Suites. It will be interesting to see how that affects the Haven experience. We booked Joy Haven rooms a few times to see what the reclassification has done,,, but they have all been cancelled. We’re booked on an upcoming cruise from Jamaica, but it is with reduced capacity, so it won’t be a good to evaluate the change. 

18 hours ago, YVRBassElectric said:

We had a similar experience on the Getaway on a 9 day Baltic in an H6 as well..  Didn't meet the butler til the morning of day 3 (chance encounter in the hall) and then never interacted with him again.  To be fair we weren't in the room during the day that much.  The rest of the Haven staff more than compensated.  They were fantastic.  

2 hours ago, WarfRatWA said:

We had a similar experience on the Getaway on a 9 day Baltic in an H6 as well..  Didn't meet the butler til the morning of day 3 (chance encounter in the hall) and then never interacted with him again.  To be fair we weren't in the room during the day that much.  The rest of the Haven staff more than compensated.  They were fantastic.  

I also was in the Haven on the NCL Getaway in a Haven Spa Suite.  My experience was different however I really need to explain myself.  A few years ago I cruised in the Suite Class of the Celebrity Equinox.  It came with a Butler.  It became clear to me, Butlers were hit or miss.  I asked some frequent cruises how could I improve the Butler Experience.  Their answers truly surprised me.

1. Be Clear On Your Needs:  Know what a butler will and will not do.  All sorts of articles on this in social media. Make a list of what you want done.  Put your list in writing for your Butler.
  2. Tipping: It seems, most of use use the "Pre-Paid Gratuities Program".  Some of us don't know the Butler is not included in this program.  This leads to Butlers often not being tipped which is a huge part of their income.  The advice given to me which contradicted everything I knew about tipping on a cruise ship to this point.  They said, give your Butler the list of your needs and your tips on day one.  Since I have done this, my Butler experiences have been outstanding. 
  3. Butlers Availability on Day One:  They are there and near to your stateroom.  Ask any staff member to have your butler come to your stateroom.  Also, your wireless phone in your room is a direct connect to the butler.  You should not have to do this, however if you know the rules to the game, you can improve your experience with this strategy.
  4. Engage Your Butler:  I am an extrovert and my wife is an introvert.  Yet both of us engage the butler.  We are super excited to see them.  We smile the same way a child does when they get an ice cream sundae.  It is not fake, it is real.  When ever something is done special, we complement the butler.  

These items were not natural.  They were learned.  When we were on the NCL Getaway, we used this strategy with our Butler.  Worked like a charm. Hope this helps. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Tipping: It seems, most of use use the "Pre-Paid Gratuities Program".  Some of us don't know the Butler is not included in this program.  This leads to Butlers often not being tipped which is a huge part of their income.  The advice given to me which contradicted everything I knew about tipping on a cruise ship to this point.  They said, give your Butler the list of your needs and your tips on day one.  Since I have done this, my Butler experiences have been outstanding.

Tipping is, of course, personal preference but for me I would never tip on day one.  Tips are something that are earned and to me giving money on day one seems like a bribe.  If I'm in a cabin that has a butler good service is expected.  How good that service is determines the tip amount.

Again....personal preference.

Cheers!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Tipping is, of course, personal preference but for me I would never tip on day one.  Tips are something that are earned and to me giving money on day one seems like a bribe.  If I'm in a cabin that has a butler good service is expected.  How good that service is determines the tip amount.

Again....personal preference.

Cheers!

Every time I say that fact about tipping upfront, I always get some contrary thoughts.  My response and my comment was to hit/miss butlers.  This situation happens much more on Mainstream Cruise lines then on Luxury Cruise Brands.  42 years of cruising, I never tipped on day one, ever.  I always tipped on the last day like everyone else.  A couple of times my service was less then great.  Throughout my trip it made my trip a little less great.  I wanted to fix that even though it should have been the cruise brand that should have fixed it.

I was looking for a solution.  After all, to go on some Luxury brands cost as much as a small car.  Tipping with a note upfront seem to fix the problem.  Transparently, it is a bribe as you say.  To me, my experience improvement since doing it allows me to feel comfortable with that approach. Should any of us have to do this, NO. I get one vacation a year, I personally believe, anything I can do that is within policy to insure the highest % chance of complete satisfaction, is fair game.

The real issue here is Cruise Brand Training, re-training and holding their team accountable to a very high standard.  When a standard it requested by not constantly evaluated, it is then up to the individual butler to execute or not.  That is when the Hit/Miss Butler situation happen.  

You are right, it is personal preference.  Tipping in general should be personal preference.  What really got me was the stories of crew, working so hard and doing everything the guest wanted and needed.  Then on the last day, no tip.  If it were me, I would not effect my service in the future.  Yet I can see how it might for others. 

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Every time I say that fact about tipping upfront, I always get some contrary thoughts.  My response and my comment was to hit/miss butlers.  This situation happens much more on Mainstream Cruise lines then on Luxury Cruise Brands.  42 years of cruising, I never tipped on day one, ever.  I always tipped on the last day like everyone else.  A couple of times my service was less then great.  Throughout my trip it made my trip a little less great.  I wanted to fix that even though it should have been the cruise brand that should have fixed it.

I was looking for a solution.  After all, to go on some Luxury brands cost as much as a small car.  Tipping with a note upfront seem to fix the problem.  Transparently, it is a bribe as you say.  To me, my experience improvement since doing it allows me to feel comfortable with that approach. Should any of us have to do this, NO. I get one vacation a year, I personally believe, anything I can do that is within policy to insure the highest % chance of complete satisfaction, is fair game.

The real issue here is Cruise Brand Training, re-training and holding their team accountable to a very high standard.  When a standard it requested by not constantly evaluated, it is then up to the individual butler to execute or not.  That is when the Hit/Miss Butler situation happen.  

You are right, it is personal preference.  Tipping in general should be personal preference.  What really got me was the stories of crew, working so hard and doing everything the guest wanted and needed.  Then on the last day, no tip.  If it were me, I would not effect my service in the future.  Yet I can see how it might for others. 

Curious - has tipping upfront ever backfired for you? I would be concerned that it might make them less inclined to offer the great service since they already have their $$$$? I've actually thought about this approach but have been too scared to try it. Others have suggested tipping half upfront with a promise of the remainder at the end? At this point, just get me on a ship and I would willingly give up my first born for any kind of service...

6 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

.....Others have suggested tipping half upfront with a promise of the remainder at the end....

It would seem to me that would insult their professionalism.  Like they needed incentive in order to do their job in a high level professional manner.  One would never do that to a server at a land based restaurant for instance.

Again though, to each their own.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Curious - has tipping upfront ever backfired for you? I would be concerned that it might make them less inclined to offer the great service since they already have their $$$$? I've actually thought about this approach but have been too scared to try it. Others have suggested tipping half upfront with a promise of the remainder at the end? At this point, just get me on a ship and I would willingly give up my first born for any kind of service...

I have done both.  1/2 and 1/2 and the whole thing upfront.  The key is the note I write.  It says, I wanted them to have their tip upfront.  I accidently left a ship and forgot to tip my butler.  It embarrassed me.  True story by the way. Then I write the things I want them to do during the week.  Never backfired, always worked since I have done it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

It would seem to me that would insult their professionalism.  Like they needed incentive in order to do their job in a high level professional manner.  One would never do that to a server at a land based restaurant for instance.

It's a conundrum, for sure...Personally, I have always just followed the "tip at the end" but it's interesting to see/hear other options. I do dislike the idea of "expected" tipping as I believe that a tip should be earned but I would never NOT tip, regardless of how bad the service was. Thankfully, I haven't found myself in that situation either!

4 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I have done both.  I stopped doing the 1/2 and 1/2 for that very reason.  Let me add.  I used to travel for business internationally.  My German Client would hand me my check for the full amount on the first day of a 30 day job.  He would explain, he trusted me and know I would do a great job.  It made me do even a better job because I felt like I owed him for his trust.  That is what gave me the idea.  Human emotions are a funny thing.  

• Like 3

On 5/16/2021 at 6:49 AM, Sthrngary said:

I also was in the Haven on the NCL Getaway in a Haven Spa Suite.  My experience was different however I really need to explain myself.  A few years ago I cruised in the Suite Class of the Celebrity Equinox.  It came with a Butler.  It became clear to me, Butlers were hit or miss.  I asked some frequent cruises how could I improve the Butler Experience.  Their answers truly surprised me.

1. Be Clear On Your Needs:  Know what a butler will and will not do.  All sorts of articles on this in social media. Make a list of what you want done.  Put your list in writing for your Butler.
  2. Tipping: It seems, most of use use the "Pre-Paid Gratuities Program".  Some of us don't know the Butler is not included in this program.  This leads to Butlers often not being tipped which is a huge part of their income.  The advice given to me which contradicted everything I knew about tipping on a cruise ship to this point.  They said, give your Butler the list of your needs and your tips on day one.  Since I have done this, my Butler experiences have been outstanding. 
  3. Butlers Availability on Day One:  They are there and near to your stateroom.  Ask any staff member to have your butler come to your stateroom.  Also, your wireless phone in your room is a direct connect to the butler.  You should not have to do this, however if you know the rules to the game, you can improve your experience with this strategy.
  4. Engage Your Butler:  I am an extrovert and my wife is an introvert.  Yet both of us engage the butler.  We are super excited to see them.  We smile the same way a child does when they get an ice cream sundae.  It is not fake, it is real.  When ever something is done special, we complement the butler.  

These items were not natural.  They were learned.  When we were on the NCL Getaway, we used this strategy with our Butler.  Worked like a charm. Hope this helps. 

Great points.  I've only had the Haven experience once (and now I am sold), but I agree with all these points.  I didn't meet my Butler until day two, when he brought breakfast, but he let me know he stopped by twice on Embarkation day to introduce himself.  Probably just missed him.  I always smile when I saw him or the room steward, and engaged both of them.  I would ask where they were from, how to say hello in their native language, and always let the know how much I appreciate the work they do. 

Anyone who has been in the Haven can surely attest to those few guests who feel entitled...and treat the staff horribly.  I could never be that person. 

That being said, on my cruise I did not tip the concierge.  They messed up my reservations twice, and also didn't call me back after I called about it.  Not cool, so I spoke with my tip.  Both the room steward and Butler got tips from me.

Either way, it was a wonderful experience and I loved having the personal attention the Haven provides.