HAL crew receiving vaccinations in San Diego

kiwimum

1 hour ago, igraf said:

Oh my god.  Is it so hard for you to accept that things are getting better?  Restaurants are now serving indoors, stores no longer require masks and WE WILL BE CRUISING AGAIN VERY SOON.

And I was vaccinated by my employer at a private vaccination center.

igraf

And I'm glad you are vaccinated.  But private companies still cannot buy the vaccine, and Indonesia is currently 3.4% fully vaccinated.

L.

• Thanks 1

The Koningsdam is sailing into San Diego harbor right now to get the crew vaccinated.  What an uplifting day!  I feel the same as I did when the distribution of the vaccines began.

igraf

• Like 5

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The Chief would weight in on this, but if you are talking about taking staff from the idle ships to staff up a ship being activated...that would be a challenge. Remember the ships are already minimally staffed to meet insurance requirements and industry regulations. Dropping ships below said minimal staffing would probably violate those requirements, and may also slow the progress of reactivating ships, as they would go to a lower status with fewer staff

If he is smart he will wait until Carnival tips it's party hat and shows us what they are doing at the moment.

in other words...this may already be happening.....check out the carnival threads.....

7 hours ago, leerathje said:

And I'm glad you are vaccinated.  But private companies still cannot buy the vaccine, and Indonesia is currently 3.4% fully vaccinated.

L.

The vaccines in the USA are not being bought and sold as a commodity, otherwise the wealthy would be vaccinated before those that need it the most.  I don't know why people are making such big thing about this.  Also, the cost of running a vaccine center is a lot more than just acquiring the vaccines.  A lot of people at UCSD donated their time to make it work.

Where was Indonesia and other countries when billions were needed to develop the vaccines?  Did they ante up their share to finance Operation Warp Speed?  The countries that paid early, which included Israel and Chile, are being taken care of first.  I have no problem with that at all.

igraf

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, igraf said:

The vaccines in the USA are not being bought and sold as a commodity, otherwise the wealthy would be vaccinated before those that need it the most.  I don't know why people are making such big thing about this.  Also, the cost of running a vaccine center is a lot more than just acquiring the vaccines.  A lot of people at UCSD donated their time to make it work.

Where was Indonesia and other countries when billions were needed to develop the vaccines?  Did they ante up their share to finance Operation Warp Speed?  The countries that paid early, which included Israel and Chile, are being taken care of first.  I have no problem with that at all.

igraf

I'm not sure you understand what my comment was about. The majority of staff on board HAL are from Indonesia (3.4% vaccinated) and the Philippines. (0.6% vaccinated) and most of those staff members were repatriated back to their home countries. How is that staff going to be vaccinated so they can go back on board?

L.

2 hours ago, igraf said:

The Koningsdam is sailing into San Diego harbor right now to get the crew vaccinated.  What an uplifting day!  I feel the same as I did when the distribution of the vaccines began.

igraf

I will try and walk down to take some pictures.  The sad thing is there are only around 150 crew on each ship being vaccinated.   Definitely only a skeleton crew on each vessel.

7 hours ago, kiwimum said:

I will try and walk down to take some pictures.  The sad thing is there are only around 150 crew on each ship being vaccinated.   Definitely only a skeleton crew on each vessel.

Yet, it is a very encouraging sign.  Just my opinion, but there is simply too much activity in the Port of Miami, the Port of San Diego, and Port Everglades to only explain that it is due to the ships returning for crew vaccinations.  Particularly, as I have seen on the web cams for both Port Everglades and the Port of Miami, when the ships are in port for several days.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Yet, it is a very encouraging sign.  Just my opinion, but there is simply too much activity in the Port of Miami, the Port of San Diego, and Port Everglades to only explain that it is due to the ships returning for crew vaccinations.  Particularly, as I have seen on the web cams for both Port Everglades and the Port of Miami, when the ships are in port for several days.  

Arrived home later than anticipated  and the Koningsdam was gone.  She maybe one of the ships I can see off the coast.   Another HAL ship due tomorrow.

• Like 2

Drove down to San Diego cruise terminal to see the beautiful koningsdam. It was weird to not see anyone out and about the ship. All activity/vaccinations were obviously done out of sight. Still made my heart sing to see a cruise ship in town. Hoping to cruise on the koningsdam in November. Laurie

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lstrong said:

Drove down to San Diego cruise terminal to see the beautiful koningsdam. It was weird to not see anyone out and about the ship. All activity/vaccinations were obviously done out of sight. Still made my heart sing to see a cruise ship in town. Hoping to cruise on the koningsdam in November. Laurie

We live in the towers on PCH and can see the pier and the ships.  From what I have seen on TV they are vaccinating in the check in hall.  Did not take them long to vaccinate everyone.   
Our first cruise is October out of LA on Princess.   
Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

A friend sent this to me today:  Nice article.

Why are cruise ships back in San Diego? Efforts to return to sea ramp up

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/story/2021-05-19/holland-america-crew-get-covid-19-vaccines-in-san-diego-but-still-no-word-on-when-cruising-will-return

Crew members get long-awaited COVID-19 vaccines at the B Street terminal from Sharp Healthcare personnel

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 5:34 AM, KirkNC said:

HAL ships typically have 600-800 crew when fully functional.  While this is a step forward it sounds like they need to “crew up” before thinking about a restart.  Not sure if additional crew would come vaccinated already.  I kind of doubt it given the low levels of vaccinations in Indonesia and Philippines.  If not, you need to add some more time to your equation for getting the crews to San Diego.

Just a heads up; Nieuw Amsterdam has been in L.A./San Pedro since yesterday and is staying until tomorrow evening. She's taking on 88 returning crew in those days and Covid vaccinating the current skeleton crew onboard. Still a far cry from her normal crew complement of 929 but things are starting to happen and I'm sure, HAL's crew scheduling dept. (plus the unions in Indonesia, the Philippines and elsewhere) in SEA has plans on the table........... 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just a heads up; Nieuw Amsterdam has been in L.A./San Pedro since yesterday and is staying until tomorrow evening. She's taking on 88 returning crew in those days and Covid vaccinating the current skeleton crew onboard. Still a far cry from her normal crew complement of 929 but things are starting to happen and I'm sure, HAL's crew scheduling dept. (plus the unions in Indonesia, the Philippines and elsewhere) in SEA has plans on the table........... 

Interesting!  Could this possibly be in preparation for NA to sail a reduced Alaska season? 🙏

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

so what’s a best guess on how long it takes to crew up, dust off the ship for real cruises.  Jack Rio has been quoted numerous times saying 90 days, reasonable?

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

so what’s a best guess on how long it takes to crew up, dust off the ship for real cruises.  Jack Rio has been quoted numerous times saying 90 days, reasonable?

I'm thinking two months and hit the road in the 3rd week of July

• Like 8

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

HAL didn't wait...just announced first cruise is July 24. N. Amsterdam. Any hint Koningsdam might join them?

Only one ship for now; baby steps after more than a year in misery 😎

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, igraf said:

I was vaccinated by my employer.  I work at a major university that set up large vaccination center.  The vaccines were only for staff and students, so it was not a public vaccination center.

igraf

I know many people who were vaccinated early on privately by their employers.

Another reason that ships may spend a few days in port now is for contractors to upgrade air conditioning (new filtration), hygiene (new hand wash stations) and medical/onboard lab facilities.

It is not only due to ongoing crew vaccinations or receiving more crew members.

David

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 3:07 PM, igraf said:

COVID vaccinations are being provided free of charge for the most part in the USA, so I don't why I need to concern myself with who paid for what.  The vaccination center was set up and operated by the university because we are also a major medical center.  

University of California, San Diego   35,000+ employees   $2+ billion annual in health systems & clinics

igraf

We taxpayers are paying for it.