Canadians Can Now Cruise To Alaska

2 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

Canadian citizens are allowed to cruise to Alaska but they have to leave from a US port.  Sorry Vancouver.

I thought the Canadian-United States border was closed for citizens of both countries.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

I thought the Canadian-United States border was closed for citizens of both countries.  

Canadians can fly into US as they please.  It’s only the land border that’s closed.

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Canadians can fly into US as they please.  It’s only the land border that’s closed.

Thank you.  I did not know this obviously.  Are there any quarantine requirements going either away across the border when flying?  

9 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

Canadian citizens are allowed to cruise to Alaska but they have to leave from a US port.  Sorry Vancouver.

We are thrilled that cruises are restarting.  Even though we are unable to go.  You wouldn’t want the Canadians on anyways only about 3% are double vaccinated.  I had my first shot two weeks ago and probably won’t get my second until August.  I think most second shots will be August or September so we will gladly join the party in late September early October in the meantime I hope you all do a live from so we can live vicariously through our neighbours.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you.  I did not know this obviously.  Are there any quarantine requirements going either away across the border when flying?  

My friend in Toronto says that the mandatory quarantine in government-sponsored hotels is still required.  Fines for bypassing the quarantine is $3000 in Toronto.  14-day quarantines upon return home at $400-700/night makes airline travel expensive.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Crew News said:

mandatory quarantine in government-sponsored hotels is still required. 

That is a term that I have not read before.  How does one determine what the "government-sponsored hotels" may be?  

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That is a term that I have not read before.  How does one determine what the "government-sponsored hotels" may be?  

The police at the airport exits board you on to a bus that delivers you to them.  My friend tells me that quarantining at home even if you live on a farm by yourself does not let you escape the hotel/fine.

Edited by Crew News

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There are quarantine requirements here right now - 14 days.

Vaccinations are changing that but it will be a while IMO.

Can’t comment on arrival in the United States, sorry.

Vaccines are progressing here.  First jab % of the population here just passed the United States but we are way behind on the 2nd jab.  that will come in time.

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

They are already designated and you pay the price.  3 days and tested - if you pass then you can then proceed to quarantine at home IIRC for the remainder of the time.  And yes, we do have “quarantine police” that check on you.

Most of our airports here in Atlantic Canada had ceased flights as so few people wanted to leave the Maritimes and our borders were basically closed to not just the U.S. but to Western Canada.  They will be restarting in June IIRC.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

And yes, we do have “quarantine police” that check on you.

I just received an e-mail from a friend residing in Toronto about a  Florida residing Nephew who has a cottage in Northern Ontario having been visited by the RCMP and just today by the Ontario Provincial Police to insure that he was abiding by the quarantine rules.  RCMP visited him on Day 17 of his 14 day quarantine period.  Today was day 19 when the Ontario Provincial Police  stopped by for a visit.  This sounds to me like harassment.  As it does to the family involved.  

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I just received an e-mail from a friend residing in Toronto about a  Florida residing Nephew who has a cottage in Northern Ontario having been visited by the RCMP and just today by the Ontario Provincial Police to insure that he was abiding by the quarantine rules.  RCMP visited him on Day 17 of his 14 day quarantine period.  Today was day 19 when the Ontario Provincial Police  stopped by for a visit.  This sounds to me like harassment.  As it does to the family involved.  

14 days is the norm - can’t comment on the visits after unless there was a positive test in between.  People are supposed to be tested after the hotel visit.  Two sides to every story 😉 

People cheat sadly, so yes, there are police and quarantine people who check.  Ontario was fighting a tough battle against covid so I can’t blame them for following up. 

We have a number here to call if someone breaks as well.  Thankfully our cases are no where near Ontario’s or most of Canada (fingers crossed it stays that way).  But there is zero tolerance here for anyone breaking the rules.  

I don’t call it harassment.  I call it making sure people are following the rules.  

Keep in mind please that we didn’t have vaccine manufacturers here so the vaccine did not flow as fast as to our friends south of the border.  Most that are vaccinated have only had one jab and awaiting the second so we need to be very careful.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

No, there is still a non-essential travel ban on.  If they choose to fly to the US, then go to Alaska, that is non-essential travel.  As well, any Canadian that flies back to Canada has to self-quarantine for 14 days upon return.

L.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kevingastreich said:

Canada still has a travel advisory not to cruise.

Anyone who does will find their travel insurance and health insurance voided I believe.

I don’t think you will see any Canadians cruising until Canada lifts the advisory.  Link - https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, kazu said:

14 days is the norm - can’t comment on the visits after unless there was a positive test in between.

That is what my Canadian friends cannot understand.  There were no positive tests whatsoever.  The term "harassment" is what my friend in Ontario used to describe their experience.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lido deck main said:

We are thrilled that cruises are restarting.  Even though we are unable to go.  You wouldn’t want the Canadians on anyways only about 3% are double vaccinated.  I had my first shot two weeks ago and probably won’t get my second until August.  I think most second shots will be August or September so we will gladly join the party in late September early October in the meantime I hope you all do a live from so we can live vicariously through our neighbours.

2nd shots have begun in BC.  You 

Will get an email to book if you have registered.  Young teens are now getting 1st shots.  We will soon catch up and possibly surpass the US in vaccinations as we don't have nearly as much resistance against getting the shots 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've been trying to get a Canadian friend to book, but would completely understand if she didn't, a possible 14 day quarantine is not the extension to my vacation I'd be looking for.

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

RCMP visited him on Day 17 of his 14 day quarantine period.  Today was day 19 when the Ontario Provincial Police  stopped by for a visit.  This sounds to me like harassment.  As it does to the family involved.  

This is less likely to be harassment than it is a demonstration of the speed at which government paperwork is processed here.

The checks on Day 17 and Day 19 of a 14 day quarantine were probably supposed to be done Day 7 and Day 9. But the forms arrived at the local detachment 10 days late, so....

• Like 4

9 hours ago, leerathje said:

No, there is still a non-essential travel ban on.  If they choose to fly to the US, then go to Alaska, that is non-essential travel.  As well, any Canadian that flies back to Canada has to self-quarantine for 14 days upon return.

L.

There is no non-essential travel ban in place!

I can go to the airport here in Ottawa this afternoon and make my way to the United States (through Toronto) without any problem whatsoever.  Coming back will be a bit of a PITA but I could do it if I wished.

There is an advisory against non-essential travel, not a prohibition.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

There is no non-essential travel ban in place!

I can go to the airport here in Ottawa this afternoon and make my way to the United States (through Toronto) without any problem whatsoever.  Coming back will be a bit of a PITA but I could do it if I wished.

There is an advisory against non-essential travel, not a prohibition.

That travel advisory will void most peoples’ insurance coverage.  Most policies have language referencing travel advisories and known risks.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kazu said:

That travel advisory will void most peoples’ insurance coverage.  Most policies have language referencing travel advisories and known risks.

Perhaps, not mine.  The travel interruption portion of my insurance may be tricky if I tried to make a claim for a COVID-19 related incident; the health portion is OK.  That was changed by several different insurers over the winter.  Yours may be different, and always a good idea to check your own policy before heading off.

But, back to the original statement.  There is no ban on travel out of Canada by air.  Whether you will be permitted to land/stay in the destination country varies by country.  For the US, go right ahead and have a great time.

Not me, though.  I’m just hoping to get to Fredericton and Yarmouth later this summer!  More difficult than world travel at the moment....

• Like 1

Oh Dear! Capacity on a handful of ships will be so limited. Canadians shouldn't crowd out Americans! Good luck to you!

My hope is that Canadians will finally learn the same lesson as Boris Johnson has. See chart below for UK's progress.

In Ontario, they've set up checkpoints at the Quebec border.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/traffic-delays-ontario-quebec-border-1.5992906

In BC, we have checkpoints to restrict non-essential travel between regions...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/farnworth-travel-update-1.6008936

This is necessary because of the uneven presence of the disease. We need to restrict non-essential travel into regions with low community spread. Have to prepare for a long campaign against covid.

Cruising is banned in Canada till 2022. So, we'll just wait and see.

Folks in BC will be busy with the re-opening. Neighbourhoods returning to normal and trips to our beautiful parks in the interior!

Global new deaths per capita May 16.JPG

6 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Perhaps, not mine.  The travel interruption portion of my insurance may be tricky if I tried to make a claim for a COVID-19 related incident; the health portion is OK.  That was changed by several different insurers over the winter.  Yours may be different, and always a good idea to check your own policy before heading off.

A good idea to check your policy, a Level 4 advisory will make a difference :

Insurance has made changes to their policy effective April 26, 2021, to include COVID medical coverage up to $2.5 million for eligible vaccinated travellers who need to travel under a Level 3 government travel advisory. Please review the endorsement coverage provided with your insurance policy to clearly understand the criteria and benefits for this coverage. This coverage does not apply if you’re on a cruise or travelling to a destination listed in a Level 4 government advisory to Avoid All Travel. Once a Canadian government issued advisory is reduced from Level 3 to Level 1 or Level 2, the regular policy coverage will apply.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiggerwudz said:

A good idea to check your policy, a Level 4 advisory will make a difference :

Insurance has made changes to their policy effective April 26, 2021, to include COVID medical coverage up to $2.5 million for eligible vaccinated travellers who need to travel under a Level 3 government travel advisory. Please review the endorsement coverage provided with your insurance policy to clearly understand the criteria and benefits for this coverage. This coverage does not apply if you’re on a cruise or travelling to a destination listed in a Level 4 government advisory to Avoid All Travel. Once a Canadian government issued advisory is reduced from Level 3 to Level 1 or Level 2, the regular policy coverage will apply.

I guess that’s what your policy states?  Mine is different.