Updated CDC guidance

Eli_6

13 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Since the news came out today about the Edge, it looks as though we will soon see other cruise lines and ships being given the green light to go. If that’s the case and DeSantis has indeed changed his mind then we will more than likely hear soon. 

FL has no jurisdiction over international travel or areas under Federal control or jurisdiction. Read: Ports, Airports, Passenger Rail, Federal Gov't property.  Ron knows this and has known this - there is no crisis here.

• Like 2

Just now, asalligo said:

I think we would all be surprised how many people are going into debt for their cruise. Paying it outright I suspect is the low minority. 

and that is their business.  People do the same with any vacation.  Although you and I believe that is irresponsible -- it is their money and problem.  Sad to see it for sure.  Most people do not understand finances these days because it is not taught and a lot of people want to be someone they are not.  They don't act their wage.  Same goes for Civics... not taught anymore so most people do not understand it.  Very important subjects to learn.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I think we would all be surprised how many people are going into debt for their cruise. Paying it outright I suspect is the low minority. 

I usually do wait until the final payment date, however, to pay off my balance.

Once exception --- our August Mardi Gras sailing. I wanted that PAID IN FULL, alcohol and other things already (paid) for the cabin, multiple specialty nights also taken care of. Reason being: Just in case they go through and decide to cull the herd a bit, I was thinking they might pass us over. Who knows... just covering my bases at this point!

Tom

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SUSIEK said:

We put everything on a credit card.   You can rack up some great points and cash back bonuses.  If you pay your bill off each month, it's pretty smart and pretty much like paying cash with a bonus.   We've been flying on points for years.  And, the cash back program pays for most of my Christmas presents each year.  But.... everyone should do what they feel comfortable with.  🙂

That is what we do.  We pay the cards off every month.  I believe we are talking about carrying the debt.  A lot of people don't understand the interest and waste of money it is carrying any debt other than mortgage.  Heck, I know people who have been paying their student loans back for 25 years.

• Like 3

Just now, SUSIEK said:

We put everything on a credit card.   You can rack up some great points and cash back bonuses.  If you pay your bill off each month, it's pretty smart and pretty much like paying cash with a bonus.   We've been flying on points for years.  And, the cash back program pays for most of my Christmas presents each year.  But.... everyone should do what they feel comfortable with.  🙂

We tried this twice in our lives, but it just always built to the point of not being able to pay it off monthly. So we had to go cold turkey personally. I only use credit cards enough now to keep the accounts active for my credit rating.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

and that is their business.  People do the same with any vacation.  Although you and I believe that is irresponsible -- it is their money and problem.  Sad to see it for sure.  Most people do not understand finances these days because it is not taught and a lot of people want to be someone they are not.  They don't act their wage.  Same goes for Civics... not taught anymore so most people do not understand it.  Very important subjects to learn.  

I am related to a person who has racked up massive credit card debt and filled bankruptcy three times in her life and I think gotten out from under that debt each time as I do not know the particulars, only that she filed bankruptcy. Somehow she still always drives a brand new 50k car and lives in a great house. Morally reprehensible to me to rack up debt with no intention of paying, but I admit she knows the system. She was looking at a new Camaro a few years back and I said, she cannot buy a car, she just filed bankruptcy, but she had that car a week later and a new one a year after that. 

• Like 1

Just now, asalligo said:

We tried this twice in our lives, but it just always built to the point of not being able to pay it off monthly. So we had to go cold turkey personally. I only use credit cards enough now to keep the accounts active for my credit rating.  

While I've always been able to pay off my credit card every month my entire life, I have little doubt I'm spending substantially more by using a credit card than I would if I didn't have one. I used to be really good about it when I was younger and income was lower, but now days I'm irresponsible in comparison. 

• Like 2

I put things I buy on my credit card and then pay it off as soon as the charge is no longer pending.  Definitely, what people do with their money is their own business as long as they don't come looking to us for loans.  One of my husband's friends once borrowed $1,000 from us and then proceeded to go to Disney World.  At that time, we had not even visited DW because we couldn't afford it.  

I know people who live paycheck to paycheck and still take expensive vacations.  That is on them, but it feels great to retire early and be able to cruise any time I feel like it.  It figures there would be a pandemic when I have all of the time in the world to cruise.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Once exception --- our August Mardi Gras sailing. I wanted that PAID IN FULL, alcohol and other things already (paid) for the cabin, multiple specialty nights also taken care of. Reason being: Just in case they go through and decide to cull the herd a bit, I was thinking they might pass us over. Who knows... just covering my bases at this point!

Tom

Did not think of that. I am sure you are right. 

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I usually do wait until the final payment date, however, to pay off my balance.

Tom

I am the opposite I always pay months before the final payment except I haven't for my September MG sailing because I have one booked for July 10th and would rather use the FCC  to pay the balance if it cancels.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It figures there would be a pandemic when I have all of the time in the world to cruise.

I moved back to Florida permanently January 2020, I said I am going to cruise all the time now. Every time I see a last minute low price and can get away from work, I am going to be on that ship. I was on the last cruise of the Liberty and that was it.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

I am the opposite I always pay months before the final payment except I haven't for my September MG sailing because I have one booked for July 10th and would rather use the FCC  to pay the balance if it cancels.

I am scared to pay anything more than my deposit at this point. I am not sure I can talk the wife into even a Covid test to cruise. Really hoping that is all over long before we get back to cruising. Much inconvenience and she will not go.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crazy4themouse said:

Last I checked, no under-12's had paid for a cruise.

55 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

What?  My three kids cost the same as adults when the cruise. 

I think that @crazy4themouse meant that the under-12s didn't pay, the parents/guardians paid.  Not that they cruised for free. 

I've occasionally heard of such deals, but I bet involves much higher rates for the accompanying adults...

21 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think that @crazy4themouse meant that the under-12s didn't pay, the parents/guardians paid.  Not that they cruised for free. 

I've occasionally heard of such deals, but I bet involves much higher rates for the accompanying adults...

Money is money.  Fare is a fare.  All equal.  

Cruising with our kids is important to us.  We took one cruise without them and won't ever do that again until they are adults.  Our kids have been cruising since they were babies... our son and daughter have been on 7 cruises now and have an 8th booked for November.  That is the only vacation they ask for because they love it.  Children under the age of 12 wouldn't affect a cruise and any spread on a cruise so that doesn't even come into play here.  A simple COVID test prior of cruise is going to be necessary.

Edited by BrotherCraig
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, asalligo said:

The problem with that is that only the people who are vaccinated think it is the right thing to do. Those who do not want to get the vaccine still want to cruise and Carnival wants both of your money and really only cares about how to get more people cruising. I think they are making the right business choice by fighting fully vaccinated cruises when it comes to making more money. There are many people on these boards who want fully vaccinated cruises, but I firmly believe that Carnivals base demographic is and will try to remain non vaccinated.   

Time will tell. It's either an aggressive brilliant gamble or a completely boneheaded move that will lead to more suspended sailings and potential financial ruin and/or bankruptcy reset. All eyes will be on the industry initially. 

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yeah, there is no way they will require masks for some passengers and not for others.  They will either have a fully vaccinated cruise with limited restrictions or a cruise open to everyone with whatever restrictions the CDC decides at the moment.  Every passenger will be subject to the same rules.  There is just no way to enforce vaccinated/unvaccinated on a cruise.  The crew would be running themselves ragged trying to get people to put on masks.

They cannot even enforce chair hogging. How anyone could think they could even attempt to enforce mask wearing especially if it only applies to some passengers is hard to believe.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

They cannot even enforce chair hogging. How anyone could think they could even attempt to enforce mask wearing especially if it only applies to some passengers is hard to believe.

Chair hogging isn't a violation of the ticket contract.

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Around here, very few people have worn masks in months.  Schools have been in person since last September.

DW's elementary school has been in person (though parents can have their child opt out) for about the last month. Before that it was half virtual and half attended with students alternating weeks.

One advantage of virtual has been that snow days have basically been eliminated. Instead of no school, every student attends virtually and the teacher teaches from home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

I moved back to Florida permanently January 2020, I said I am going to cruise all the time now. Every time I see a last minute low price and can get away from work, I am going to be on that ship. I was on the last cruise of the Liberty and that was it.   

I was on one of Royal's last ships in March 2020.  I wish I lived in Florida because there is so much to do out there in addition cruising.  I've vacationed there three times in the past year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I was on one of Royal's last ships in March 2020.  I wish I lived in Florida because there is so much to do out there in addition cruising.  I've vacationed there three times in the past year.

We talked about that many times last summer. We have lived in several parts of the country and all of them would have been terrible during the early days of covid compared to our days by the pool and at the beach. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

They won't get sued for failing to evict chair hogs.

2 hours ago, asalligo said:

Possibly off-topic but things like cruises and other non-necessities should only be paid by credit card if you have the means and intention to pay off by statement date.  I get a small (1.5%) cash back on my card purchases and have yet to accrue interest charges since opening.  It’s not much and if I ever feel overwhelmed I will stop using as a primary purchase mechanism.  It’s an individual decision; definitely made easier by making mistakes in the past & not wanting to repeat them.

The great thing about going on a cruise is you can book the cruise when they have a $50 deposit sale and make payments before the final payment is due.  You don't have to go into debt or put it on a credit card.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

While I've always been able to pay off my credit card every month my entire life, I have little doubt I'm spending substantially more by using a credit card than I would if I didn't have one. I used to be really good about it when I was younger and income was lower, but now days I'm irresponsible in comparison. 

There have been studies completed that show exactly this.  The act of using a credit card (or debit card) doesn't impart the same mental pain as using cash.  The studies showed using plastic increases spending by between 15% and 20% over using cash.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Possibly off-topic but things like cruises and other non-necessities should only be paid by credit card if you have the means and intention to pay off by statement date.  I get a small (1.5%) cash back on my card purchases and have yet to accrue interest charges since opening.  It’s not much and if I ever feel overwhelmed I will stop using as a primary purchase mechanism.  It’s an individual decision; definitely made easier by making mistakes in the past & not wanting to repeat them.

If you pay it off every month then it is a charge card and not a credit card.

• Like 1