Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations

Thameside

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

So understand what you are saying but I do like to know exactly where we stand if things do go wrong...

I would imagine that it may be handled in a similar fashion to that on the Millenium. Contacts were quarantined in their rooms until their negative test result came back, and once all the contacts were deemed negative, they were released.

What this doesn’t tell us is what would happen if a contact was tested positive too. We all understand what happens on land here in the U.K. in such an event, but on an American ship 🤷‍♀️.

4 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Read that many were unable to board Britannia due to no passports or proper proof of vaccination.

Obviously most did not read the small print, although I did hear about a passenger on the NHS COVID testing scheme who although had two jabs,  and had letters from the NHS saying they were not to be disadvantaged,  they were unable to produce a valid letter/app showing the two Jabs conformation. 

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

So understand what you are saying but I do like to know exactly where we stand if things do go wrong...

Why worry about things you have no control over? Life is too short!

3 hours ago, downsmead said:

I would imagine that it may be handled in a similar fashion to that on the Millenium. Contacts were quarantined in their rooms until their negative test result came back, and once all the contacts were deemed negative, they were released.

What this doesn’t tell us is what would happen if a contact was tested positive too. We all understand what happens on land here in the U.K. in such an event, but on an American ship 🤷‍♀️.

Thanks for the response. Quarantined for an hour/or a day awaiting a negative result is far more acceptable than for the remainder of a 7 night cruise...

Again it is the unknown which is the worrying part. I still would like confirmation re what constitutes ‘contact’. For example, everyone in Luminae between 7/8pm or just  those on surrounding tables between 7/8pm...

Edited by chemmo

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

So, we are all wearing our tracelets...

What counts as ‘coming into contact with someone with covid’?

Sitting at the table next to theirs in Luminae, the Retreat lounge, Retreat deck or simply being in any of those venues when the covid guest is there?

Visiting a rest room at the same time as the covid guest or being in a pool at the same time....?

So what happens next? Are you asked to stay in your room if you are symptom free? Are you asked to move to another room?

If it is near the end of the cruise will you be allowed to head home to finish your quarantine or could you be told to enter a quarantine hotel as if you had returned from a code red country?

If you are unfortunate enough to have to spend your cruise in your room would you receive any money or fcc as compensation?

Does anyone have any idea from other boards about this where cruising is actually happening?

The first part of your question is easy to answer.  The Tracelet can record when a guest is within 6 feet for 15 minutes of other individuals on a ship. So if passenger "A" tests positive, they can determine who has been within 6 feet of "A" for periods of 15 minutes or longer during the course of the cruise. If you sit in an adjacent bathroom stall for 15 minutes, that contact will be logged, but I doubt that will happen. On the other hand, if you are in adjacent cabins sitting on your sofas, I suppose that the contact might be registered. As for the swimming pool, you are meant to remove them first as they aren't waterproof.

What happens next? For the first cruise out of Sint Maarten, anyone judged to have been in close contact with the two passengers testing positive had to be tested and remain in their cabin until the results were in. In the Sint Maarten case, everyone so tested was negative and they were allowed to carry on with their cruise. Had they also tested positive, I understand that they would have been move to isolation in a cabin on deck 2. Whether or not these protocols will be the same for your cruise I really can't say. Hopefully, no one will test positive!

I suspect Celebrity will not release that level of detail, presuming they have it documented somewhere. 
I would hope that they do not take the ‘schools’ approach - send all the kids in the class home to self isolate 🤦‍♀️
Since, as far as I aware, we have not been notified of any testing on board, unless I have missed something, then I would have thought that the only way someone would come to their attention is by going to the medical centre. Apart from pre-sailing testing, there is no testing for real-entry to the U.K. is there?

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The first part of your question is easy to answer.  The Tracelet can record when a guest is within 6 feet for 15 minutes of other individuals on a ship. So if passenger "A" tests positive, they can determine who has been within 6 feet of "A" for periods of 15 minutes or longer during the course of the cruise. If you sit in an adjacent bathroom stall for 15 minutes, that contact will be logged, but I doubt that will happen. On the other hand, if you are in adjacent cabins sitting on your sofas, I suppose that the contact might be registered. As for the swimming pool, you are meant to remove them first as they aren't waterproof.

What happens next? For the first cruise out of Sint Maarten, anyone judged to have been in close contact with the two passengers testing positive had to be tested and remain in their cabin until the results were in. In the Sint Maarten case, everyone so tested was negative and they were allowed to carry on with their cruise. Had they also tested positive, I understand that they would have been move to isolation in a cabin on deck 2. Whether or not these protocols will be the same for your cruise I really can't say. Hopefully, no one will test positive!

Very reassuring!

This is exactly the information I was hoping for. Much as we would love to cruise this year I really don’t want to spend half my holiday in my room...

We need to decide in the next few weeks so will be watching all reviews carefully...

19 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Very reassuring!

This is exactly the information I was hoping for. Much as we would love to cruise this year I really don’t want to spend half my holiday in my room...

We need to decide in the next few weeks so will be watching all reviews carefully...

I hope that Celebrity will have multiple cruises with zero positives over the next while to help you make a decision to sail!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I hope that Celebrity will have multiple cruises with zero positives over the next while to help you make a decision to sail!

We have a few weeks to decide. One bit of us is desperate to board again but we do want it to be a positive experience. We will be watching reviews over the next few weeks really closely...

• Like 1

Can anyone confirm that you can’t use the face shields rather than the over the mouth masks. I’m sure I read it somewhere but can’t find it now. They are so much more comfortable and don’t take my make up off and don’t give me spots. 

Just in case anyone wants to do the best price guarantee... the UK Gov has now removed the 1000 passenger limit if all passengers are fully vaccinated, and therefore they can operate at 50% capacity instead (an extra 500 or so passengers). Celebrity have opened up the 3rd and 9th July sailings. May be cheaper for some, and there are now also NO single supplements!

21 minutes ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

Just in case anyone wants to do the best price guarantee... the UK Gov has now removed the 1000 passenger limit if all passengers are fully vaccinated, and therefore they can operate at 50% capacity instead (an extra 500 or so passengers). Celebrity have opened up the 3rd and 9th July sailings. May be cheaper for some, and there are now also NO single supplements!

I’m curious if this counts for the UK staycations as under 18s are allowed on and aren’t vaccinated.

Also interestingly some of the cruises show up availability if putting in 2 passengers but when putting in 1 passenger the cabin availability shows as sold out. 

13 minutes ago, CocoCronut said:

I’m curious if this counts for the UK staycations as under 18s are allowed on and aren’t vaccinated.

Also interestingly some of the cruises show up availability if putting in 2 passengers but when putting in 1 passenger the cabin availability shows as sold out. 

Well, of course, only those that are of an age to be vaccinated.

Interesting with the availability. You'd think that even with the ship only half full they'd give maximum availability to both singles and doubles as half the cabins will be empty anyway. But then, Celebrity have never made any sense with their decision making.

2 minutes ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

Well, of course, only those that are of an age to be vaccinated.

Interesting with the availability. You'd think that even with the ship only half full they'd give maximum availability to both singles and doubles as half the cabins will be empty anyway. But then, Celebrity have never made any sense with their decision making.

Yea I wasn’t sure if the lack of availability for singles was to do with lack of extra spend they would have on board…but who knows. 

55 minutes ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

Where did you see the Government changes?

This is the link to the government website, and I can't see any change to capacity: Coronavirus (COVID-19): domestic cruise ship travel - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

On the 3rd July cruise they only have Aqua Class guarantee, and 4 Verandah staterooms available. This is after offering a Move Up to the passengers already booked. I thought maybe a few had cancelled due to the current requirement of PCR tests, and the need to use celebrity curated tours.

The 9th July sailing only has guarantee cabins for sale.

If the capacity has changed I thought there would be many more available - unless they were already overbooked!

24 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Where did you see the Government changes?

This is the link to the government website, and I can't see any change to capacity: Coronavirus (COVID-19): domestic cruise ship travel - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

On the 3rd July cruise they only have Aqua Class guarantee, and 4 Verandah staterooms available. This is after offering a Move Up to the passengers already booked. I thought maybe a few had cancelled due to the current requirement of PCR tests, and the need to use celebrity curated tours.

The 9th July sailing only has guarantee cabins for sale.

If the capacity has changed I thought there would be many more available - unless they were already overbooked!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/cruises/msc-cruises-changes-vaccine-policy-24423357

1 hour ago, delondin said:

Can anyone confirm that you can’t use the face shields rather than the over the mouth masks. I’m sure I read it somewhere but can’t find it now. They are so much more comfortable and don’t take my make up off and don’t give me spots. 

Face masks are required. Celebrity has never offered the option of face shields are they not as effective at protecting you or the people around you from respiratory droplets.

24 minutes ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

I wonder if this is one of those instances when you read it in a newspaper before the government announce it. If they are that sure everything is going okay, I wish they would allow us off the ship when in port.

10 hours ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

Celebrity have opened up the 3rd and 9th July sailings. May be cheaper for some, and there are now also NO single supplements!

Hmm, I only see August 14,21 & 28 th for sale.😱

This is from the UK site, which I had to switch to, as  the US site only advertises departure port of Athens.

Obvious, as UK staycations are only available to vaccinated residents of UK.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/itinerary-search?dates=2021-08&destinations=EUROP&departures=STH

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Face masks are required. Celebrity has never offered the option of face shields are they not as effective at protecting you or the people around you from respiratory droplets.

Thank you. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

This is from the UK site, which I had to switch to, as  the US site only advertises departure port of Athens.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/itinerary-search?dates=2021-08&destinations=EUROP&departures=STH

Our trip on 14th August is being advertised widely, probably in anticipation of full relaxation of the rules next month resulting in full capacity ships as soon as they can.

CocoCronut said

Yea I wasn’t sure if the lack of availability for singles was to do with lack of extra spend they would have on board…but who knows. 

Replying,

Always thought the excuse for solos paying a supplement for  lack of spend was "an excuse" as usually solos spend more anyway .  Most staycations except P&O and Cunard include a drinks package anyway,  

Edited by LifeonMars

53 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Just took a look and the 3 & 9 July are available on the UK site.  Aqua & balconies only though 3 July (didn’t check 9 July).

Not sure if it makes any difference but I’m using the iPad which takes me to the UK site when you then click at the top of the page to the “United Kingdom” site.

48 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

CocoCronut said

Replying,

Always thought the excuse for solos paying a supplement for  lack of spend was "an excuse" as usually solos spend more anyway .  Most staycations except P&O and Cunard include a drinks package anyway,  

Ah yes, I was thinking more from the point of view of the things celebrity have as extras, so speciality restaurants, onboard shops, added supplement for a drink that’s above the package and internet. But it was only a guess on my part I’m not sure if there’s a better more technical reason that they weren’t showing as a single person booking.