The Department of Homeland Security is considering vaccine passports

ontheweb

I'm all for it even though I think it's going to be a logistical challenge especially when it's time for booster shots/jabs.  Would people need to renew on their own?  Will it be automatic?  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I'm all for it even though I think it's going to be a logistical challenge especially when it's time for booster shots/jabs.  Would people need to renew on their own?  Will it be automatic?  

Exactly.  It may be well meaning and assure consistency but it is of time-limited use.  And truly in 18 months this will all be history if this pandemic plays out like other plagues and pandemics. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Exactly.  It may be well meaning and assure consistency but it is of time-limited use.  And truly in 18 months this will all be history if this pandemic plays out like other plagues and pandemics. 

Also, at the risk of being a negative nelly and putting my foot in my mouth again, it's been my experience if you want to complicate anything, just invite the US government into it.  By the time all the debate and arguing are over, the form will be 10 pages long with vague instructions along with various threats if not filled out correctly, meaning people will just throw their hands up and forget it.  

I think Canada with a national healthcare program already, may have the necessary infrastructure in place to carry out something like this rather quickly.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

Also, at the risk of being a negative nelly and putting my foot in my mouth again, it's been my experience if you want to complicate anything, just invite the US government into it.  By the time all the debate and arguing are over, the form will be 10 pages long with vague instructions along with various threats if not filled out correctly, meaning people will just throw their hands up and forget it.  

I think Canada with a national healthcare program already, may have the necessary infrastructure in place to carry out something like this rather quickly.  

I think if you were vaccinated at a government hub as I was all of the data is available through a government website already.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think if you were vaccinated at a government hub as I was all of the data is available through a government website already.  

It was a pharmacy, not government, and I'm sure the CDC has all the info, but....as you alluded to, it'll take them months and months to get a process in place, and while I can see the necessity, I'm not sure this is a door we should be opening, talk about big brother!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

It was a pharmacy, not government, and I'm sure the CDC has all the info, but....as you alluded to, it'll take them months and months to get a process in place, and while I can see the necessity, I'm not sure this is a door we should be opening, talk about big brother!

Yeah but this decision is way beyond my pay grade and as an extreme pragmatist i just want to travel.  Privacy issues are difficult policy decisions.   

• Like 2

I remember going to work in Zambia in the early 1970's and having to have proof of vaccination for yellow fever.

I wish I could agree on the Canadian system but nothing could be further from the truth, we live in Alberta so know the reality, each province has it's own position on this issue. 

I hope there is a requirement for proof of vaccination, this whole discussion devolves down to the perennial division between individual rights and those of the broader society. An epistemological approach is probably the best.

• Like 5

This CDC webpage has links to immunization registries kept by US states: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/contacts-locate-records.html#state   You may want to check if you are listed. I assume this info could be used for vaccine passports.

I have only a partial match and am unable to access my immunization records, my government ID number was not recorded when I was vaccinated. My name and birth date might be unique enough that I can the registry updated.

This is one of those situations where they don't have a choice because the EU is requiring proof of vaccination.  If there was a situation where someone faked their vaccination status it would be really bad for the US travel to the EU.  

46 minutes ago, old mike said:

I hope there is a requirement for proof of vaccination, this whole discussion devolves down to the perennial division between individual rights and those of the broader society. An epistemological approach is probably the best.

I hope there is too as each province has their own system for vaccination so we have no national record like our U.S. counterparts.  It would make travel so much easier I suspect if we had a uniform method of proof for our country.

If it’s only for travel (like your yellow vaccine certificate) I see no breach of individual rights.  Passports are required to get into countries re-opening so if we want to get there we need not just our passport but our vaccine proof that is acceptable.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Hopefully, but colds have not played out and isn't Covid cold-related?

8 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Hopefully, but colds have not played out and isn't Covid cold-related?

They play out by mutating to a variety that preserves the life of the host.  That is how most biology works.  Wayyyy off topic, I was thinking this morning how it is my generation which was the last that truly got sick from viruses.  Mothers knew what it was to look into the eyes of a feverish child and hope they made it through the night. That is not modern experience and I think that is why so many have a negative outlook.  Few in western society have seen how epidemics and pandemics play out

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

We would be happy if somehow our record of vaccinations could be embedded in our passport.  

We still use our yellow International Record of Vaccination.  But....all the entries are hand written.  I believe that over 50 years we have only been asked for them three times-in Africa.  DW's has been required each time she was hired at a various hospitals over the years-a basic condition of employment.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, aa7yy said:

Sure seems like it would be pretty easy to embed your vaccination info  into an app like the mobile passport one on the bottom here.

Here

What about people who don't have a smart phone?  HAL's sister line Princess is having a devil of a time getting their app working.  Many people can't even log into their MedallionClass App.

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

What about people who don't have a smart phone?  HAL's sister line Princess is having a devil of a time getting their app working.  Many people can't even log into their MedallionClass App.

Then I guess you paperclip you vaccine record inside your passport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happy dance. Great move. I'm sure they will get it figured out ... just like they figured out regular passports and passport cards. No shirt, no service. No vaccination, no international travel. Sounds right to me. No one is forcing anyone to travel internationally. 

• Like 6