Summit/Millenium swap theory???

NanaPam00

We have not yet been moved from Solstice for Aug 27.  I called my TA earlier today and that's when I found out about the Summit/Millie swap.  Hopefully this will all get straightened out soon and we can go cruising.  I'm not holding my breath though.

3 minutes ago, keels81 said:

Just got this email:

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 3.23.44 PM.png

I would def not want to be working as a CSR with Celebrity Bookings or a TA right now, jeez the stress they must be dealing with.  

As was pointed out above, the new Federal law allowing Alaska cruising this year without stops in Canada specifically only allowed two Celebrity ships, Solstice and Millennium, to sail under the new rules.  I am not sure why Celebrity thought it could have the Summit do those cruises instead.

On 6/1/2021 at 7:28 AM, TheMettins said:

The Bill passed in Senate allowing ships to return to Alaska mentions specific ships from each cruise line.... the Summit is not listed.  It's so late in the game though, I doubt the Millennium will be yanked.  We shall see  74 days till St. Maarten!

FB_IMG_1622557300777.jpg

FB_IMG_1622557306858.jpg

FB_IMG_1622557314485.jpg

FB_IMG_1622557320553.jpg

The law allowing the cruises this summer specifically mentions the ships allowed to sail this summer.  The Millennium is listed, but the Summit is not.  I just noticed that a third Celebrity ship, Eclipse, is also listed.  Those three ships were scheduled (pre COVID) to do Alaska this summer, but Summit was not.  

Edited by cruiserchuck

5 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

The law allowing the cruises this summer specifically mentions the ships allowed to sail this summer.  The Millennium is listed, but the Summit is not.  I just noticed that a third Celebrity ship, Eclipse, is also listed.

I can't remember where I read this earlier on in the creation of the Alaska Recovery Act, but the thinking was that the quickest way to push it through was to initially list the vessels that have cruised/berthed in Alaska during season within the last x-amount of years because it would allow the ports to go with what they know to ramp up for a return a quickly as possible, with the thinking that there may have been a chance to apply for a temporary waiver for three months for an additional/new ship if need be. 

That's why the Disney Wonder is on there, even though Disney does not have any intention of sailing Alaska this season.

1 minute ago, Lopsyl88 said:

The Millennium was yanked!!! Starting July 23 the Summit will take over the Millennium out of St. Maarten. Celebrity is a mess right now!!!!! 

I think it’s earlier.  The millennium has to get to Seattle.  

2 minutes ago, Lopsyl88 said:

The Millennium was yanked!!! Starting July 23 the Summit will take over the Millennium out of St. Maarten. Celebrity is a mess right now!!!!! 

Try running a multi-billion $ closed business during one of the greatest pandemics in world history and then restarting that business almost on the drop of a dime.  They are scrambling for safe places and of course where they feel they can recoup the best bang for the buck.

Sorry LGW59.  This is a major mistake to deploy a ship to Alaska which is not allowed to sail there in the bill they had been watching for months to pass.  No pass for the pandemic.   Pure chaos.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Sorry LGW59.  This is a major mistake to deploy a ship to Alaska which is not allowed to sail there in the bill they had been watching for months to pass.  No pass for the pandemic.   Pure chaos.

Didn’t President Biden sign a bill allowing Alaskan cruises from Seattle?

Just now, LGW59 said:

Didn’t President Biden sign a bill allowing Alaskan cruises from Seattle?

Yeah, but it only included ships that had previously sailed Alaska (regardless of whether the line had intention of them sailing this season or not). 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, keels81 said:

Yeah, but it only included ships that had previously sailed Alaska (regardless of whether the line had intention of them sailing this season or not). 

OK got it, silly but I got it, and now I will say shame on Celebrity as well.  And let me add, this is why I am not sailing until May 2022.

Edited by LGW59

1 minute ago, Locobill49 said:

Apparently Celebrity does not send out these email notices to those people who work with a travel agent. Is this true?

The email I posted is what was sent to TAs about an hour ago.

There is an article posted on the RC Blog that explains why the Summit was just swapped out for the Millennium on the new Alaska cruises.

Why the change? The recent bill which was signed into U.S. law to allow cruise ships to visit Alaska this year is the reason. According to Celebrity, the legislation inadvertently listed the Celebrity Cruises ships originally scheduled to sail in Alaska, which did not include Celebrity Summit. The Alaska Tourism Restoration Act specifically listed all the ships the new law applies to, and sure enough, Millennium is listed, but not Summit.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

This is so confusing. How could they make this kind of error. It makes me a little concerned about the restart. We just booked the 7/17 Edge sailing. I am now concerned that it might be too soon and they haven’t really figured out what to do about the executive order regarding not asking for proof of vaccination.