Seeking Alaska cruise recommendations.

AMCJavelin

We are looking for recommendations for an Alaskan cruise.   Hoping to plan something for 2022 - fingers crossed.   We normally cruise Celebrity or RCI.  We always book Balcony cabins. Cruise will be for my wife and I - just the 2 of us we are in our late 50's in good physical condition with no limitations.   Seeking the following information:

1. Best time of year to take an Alaskan cruise?

2. Recommended Itinerary - I have friends who suggest we have to do the "Inside Passage" if at all possible - thoughts?

3. Must see/do items in port?

Much thanks! 

I checked on a number of Celebrity Cruises on CC and it appears they do the inside passage - Not sure if this is a good itinerary or not.

Example - Celebrity Eclipse  Hubbard Glacier Cruise -  

Cruise Itinerary DAY 1Vancouver DAY 2Inside Passage DAY 3Icy Strait DAY 4Hubbard Glacier DAY 5Juneau DAY 6Ketchikan DAY 7Inside Passage DAY Vancouver

We have done this one numerous times and I'm considering using our FCC for Aug 29/22 to do it again.  With weater like anywhere else you never know.  Did mid July once and nothing but sunshine.  Repeated the same week a few years later and rain.  Its a good itinerary, get out on deck for departure and enjoy going under Lions Gate Bridge.  On the last day at sea get out again mid afternoon and enjoy the inside passage once again.  Watch for whales. Will let others chime in with what to do and see in Alaska.

I feel that if Alaska will be a “one time opportunity “, it is greatly enhanced to include time in the interior visiting Denali National Park, etc.  That works by taking a one-way north or southbound itinerary between Seward or Whittier and Vancouver with pre-or post-Cruise days into Denali, with Fairbanks being the start or end city.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bama4cruisin said:

I feel that if Alaska will be a “one time opportunity “, it is greatly enhanced to include time in the interior visiting Denali National Park, etc.  That works by taking a one-way north or southbound itinerary between Seward or Whittier and Vancouver with pre-or post-Cruise days into Denali, with Fairbanks being the start or end city.

Hmmm - interesting I didnt see anything like that when I looked at Celebrity  - any ideas which line offer that type of iternary?   This will be a 1 time trip.

2 minutes ago, AMCJavelin said:

Hmmm - interesting I didnt see anything like that when I looked at Celebrity  - any ideas which line offer that type of iternary?   This will be a 1 time trip.

During the pre-covid era the Millennium offered both north and south bound one way seven night cruises between Vancouver and Seward.  While every cruise line offers cruise tours it is very easy to create a DIY land package tailored to your specific interests.

4 minutes ago, AMCJavelin said:

Millennium does the North from Vancouver or South from Seward.  To see the interior on these cruises you can book a land package with Celebrity either after (North) or before (South) the cruise. When you are looking at a specific cruise on the web site select the tab for land packages.  There are a number offered. 

14 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Millennium does the North from Vancouver or South from Seward.  To see the interior on these cruises you can book a land package with Celebrity either after (North) or before (South) the cruise. When you are looking at a specific cruise on the web site select the tab for land packages.  There are a number offered. 

Great info! - Much Thanks!

We sail primarily with Royal / X but for Alaska after much research went with Princess.  They include Glacier Bay which RCG brands can't always visit.  Highlight of the trip was 6 day Princess land tour beginning in Fairbanks with stops at Denali and Mt. McKinley.  This was followed by cruise to Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, Juneau, Ketchican and Skagway.  Finished in Vancouver.  If you only visit Alaska once you really need to see Denali.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

We sail primarily with Royal / X but for Alaska after much research went with Princess.  They include Glacier Bay which RCG brands can't always visit.  Highlight of the trip was 6 day Princess land tour beginning in Fairbanks with stops at Denali and Mt. McKinley.  This was followed by cruise to Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, Juneau, Ketchican and Skagway.  Finished in Vancouver.  If you only visit Alaska once you really need to see Denali.

That sounds amazing!  Looks like I need to research that for sure!  Thank you  so much!

8 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

You might want to ask on the Alaska board.

With that said, while I like Celebrity very much, I'm not sure it would be my first choice for Alaska.

Thank you - I thought about that  - Wasn't entirely sure where to start looking but I will ask over there as well.  Much thanks!

1 hour ago, AMCJavelin said:

Thank you - I thought about that  - Wasn't entirely sure where to start looking but I will ask over there as well.  Much thanks!

Hi - we've done 8 AK trips with X, couple land tours. Normally, May and Sept are 'shoulder season' prices. Weather is variable, but often nicer Sept. If you add a land tour from ANC, it can be pre or post cruise.  Based on Pre-Covid era, I recommend 1) skip Fairbanks  2) add most time in Denali (deep interior tour vs 19 mi.) 3) pick AKRR train connections vs coach.  (In past, even if tour pkg design connected with coach, you could call and switch, maybe with fee, to AKRR connections at least partially)  Same preference for Anchorage - Seward pier transfer - choose AKRR mtns route connection vs coach at sea level along Turnagan? Arm. (request change if not assigned)

AKRR connection is like airplane 1st class seats, with sceni-dome and bar service, cafe and real restroom on lower level.  Coach stops at portalets and gift shops needing to roust some pax back on board to keep schedule.

Fairbanks is rather basic, plain and has multi-cruise lines crowds ( I saw 24 busses from multiple lines all dropping pax together onto the steamboat excursion)  In Fairbanks, Alaska University has natural history museum worth visit.

Since you are active, hiking trails available many ports, such as Dewey Lake loop from downtown Skagway.  A rental (was Avis, book early) allows scenic self-drive for $150(?) 60 miles to Emerald Lake.  The Skagway train is historic, convenient and scenic but $140(?) each travels 20? miles.

In Juneau, Mendenhall glacier is easy access and there's 1 mile trail closer to glacier that reaches Nugget Falls - like standing at base of Niagara (depending on seasonal flow).  If not Mendenhall in Juneau, hike up Mt. Roberts above cruise dock.  Skip the Orca Beach wildlife tour (RIB - as soon as we got off shuttle busses they said "no Orca's since Navy built a facility" -  saw birds, otters, Stellar  seals.

Hope you find a lot of other recommendations on the Alaska board.  GOOD LUCK

Edited by greydog
  • Like 2

I have chosen a Celebrity cruise which includes Hubbard Glacier for 2022.
For us, this was a sight we absolutely wanted to include... We love glaciers and wanted to see this giant.

We also wanted to visit Sitka for the history and the beauty... and our itinerary included that port as well.

On top of it all, we wanted to sail on Celebrity for the experience.
I feel very good about our itinerary and our choice.

31 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

For us, this was a sight we absolutely wanted to include... We love glaciers and wanted to see this giant.

We also wanted to visit Sitka for the history and the beauty... and our itinerary included that port as well.

On top of it all, we wanted to sail on Celebrity for the experience.
I feel very good about our itinerary and our choice.

We have sailed Celebrity our last 2 cruises to Bermuda and loved it  -  So thats why we were leaning that way for Alaska.

6 hours ago, AMCJavelin said:

I'm planning a Vancouver rt Alaska cruise.   I hope to fly into Fairbanks, take the train to Denali, spend a few days in Denali, take the train to Anchorage, and then fly to Vancouver, doing the land portion on our own.  I was able to find a few package tours in order to get an idea of some options, still doing some research.  The two I found that look like possibilities are alaskatravel.com and alaskatours.com - train is slower and more relaxed than a bus, also appears to be more scenic.   There are some great videos on youtube, that made it easy for me to convince DH that the train will a great way to travel.

13 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

We like X and Princess but when it comes to Alaska, Princess is the only one in our opinion, largely due to the Glacier Bay option.

14 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

Hi - Siitka is a top choice, especially over Hoonah/IcyStraight.  nice .3 mi. level walk from pier to town - don't need shuttle delay arriving.  Large nature preserve/park worth strolling, I think a raptor center too.

Skagway is tops for history - Yukon gold rush.  For top-choice prep, HIGHLY recommend 

The Klondike Fever: The Life And Death Of The Last Great Gold Rush   by Pierre Berton

BTW, a couple times on hot July day, air temp was so hot, the ice fog prevented safe entry into Hubbard Glacier Bay -  small chance but possible.  

Happy Travels

• Like 2

Agree with Greydog on most points.  AKRR is a very pleasant ride. Seats were set up in booths with flat table between two benches.  Very pleasant enjoying steak & egg breakfast while rolling through wilderness.  In Denali absolutely recommend the 8 hour Tundra Wilderness tour over the 4 hour one cruise lines usually include.  Allows you to get much further into the park and see more wildlife.  On sea portion of trip DW & daughters enjoyed excursions on whale watching boat & helicopter ride to top of glacier (most expensive excursion we have ever taken but it was a bucket list trip and they really enjoyed it.  In Denali & Skagway felt US Forest Service tours were at least as good as private options.  Unlike Greydog we did enjoy Fairbanks.  Flew in a day early and rented a car to do Fairbanks walking tour, visit botanical gardens and see U of Alaska museum.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AMCJavelin said:

We are looking for recommendations for an Alaskan cruise.   Hoping to plan something for 2022 - fingers crossed.   We normally cruise Celebrity or RCI.  We always book Balcony cabins. Cruise will be for my wife and I - just the 2 of us we are in our late 50's in good physical condition with no limitations.   Seeking the following information:

1. Best time of year to take an Alaskan cruise?

2. Recommended Itinerary - I have friends who suggest we have to do the "Inside Passage" if at all possible - thoughts?

3. Must see/do items in port?

Much thanks! 

I checked on a number of Celebrity Cruises on CC and it appears they do the inside passage - Not sure if this is a good itinerary or not.

Example - Celebrity Eclipse  Hubbard Glacier Cruise -  

Cruise Itinerary DAY 1Vancouver DAY 2Inside Passage DAY 3Icy Strait DAY 4Hubbard Glacier DAY 5Juneau DAY 6Ketchikan DAY 7Inside Passage DAY Vancouver

Suggest going in August or first week in September, fewer bugs.

Also Celebrity doesn't do Glacier Bay, which is a must see.   We did NCL instead.

I would also try to spend a few days in Vancouver pre or post if the itinerary permits.  Fabulous city.  We opted to sail Regent in Alaska due to the size of the ship and its ability to get places larger ships cannot.  Pack for layering and bring plenty of bug spray if Denali is on your plate.  We sailed the last week in August.  Caught a 68 degree day in Skagway.  Awesome.  BTW, the helicopter/dog sled excursion is fine, but the dog sledding is really just a lap around the compound.  You don't go into woods or anything.  You're on a glacier after all.

Edited by marieps