Not stopping in St Peter’s Port, Guernsey.

devonuk

I’m sailing on the Sky Princess out of Southampton on the 15th October 2021 and I’ve finally had it confirmed today that the ship will NOT stop in St Peter’s Port but will spend a further day at sea. 
Would this be grounds to cancel the cruise should I want to? Or, be a reason to try to reduce the cost?

Probably if you cancel now you are outside of the cancellation period and will receive a refund of any refundable deposit and any fare that you may have already paid. But, Princess has the right to change itinerary. It is in the passage contract.

• Thanks 1

Since you appear to be in the UK and deposits are not refundable, I would contact Princess directly and see if the removal of the port would be grounds to cancel and get your deposit refunded to you.

My guess is that they will bring up the contract proviso that they can change ports but it can't hurt to try.

Not sure of present situation but we have been on 5 cruises where St. Peters Port was listed as a stop and actually made the port twice. Just not a port that is easy to use when weather conditions are wrong.  I personally would not book a cruise just to see it as it seems the chances of actually doing so are slim.

It is spelled out in the Passenger Contract that the cruise line may change the itinerary at any time. They may replace it, but you will not be charged for port fees. If the entire reason for your cruise was THAT port, then cancel.

Thanks for the replies guys. For info I was told of the itinerary change after I had made my final payment 🙄 I’d not thought of the port charges so thanks for that info. 

1 hour ago, devonuk said:

I’m sailing on the Sky Princess out of Southampton on the 15th October 2021 and I’ve finally had it confirmed today that the ship will NOT stop in St Peter’s Port but will spend a further day at sea. 
Would this be grounds to cancel the cruise should I want to? Or, be a reason to try to reduce the cost?

That’s interesting as we are doing a Regal Princess short cruise at the end of October and were notified some time ago that Guernsey was being replaced  

by a sea day. It’s been common knowledge on these boards for a while that Guernsey is not accepting cruise ships this year.

Did you book direct or through an agent?  We booked directly.

2 hours ago, devonuk said:

Should have come as no surprise because it has been widely reported for some months now that Guernsey was not accepting and cruise lines until 2022.

For the avoidance of doubt despite asking time and time again my agent just would not confirm it for me until just after I paid in full 🤔

Yes, I read the rumours but I wanted it in writing which I finally got. To me it’s a question of principle that I should be told... there will still be pax on this cruise that will not be aware as they don’t do social media or trawl forums. 

I really hope that Guernsey will take cruise ships next year, as I am looking forward to seeing Victor Hugo's home (author of Les' Miserables).  Yes, I read the ENTIRE book in high school; all 1500 pages. He was exiled on Guernsey for 15 years and that is where he wrote it.

• Like 2

My cruise for Sept. also had Guernsey removed. I assumed because the port announced in March no cruise ships for this year. But -- the port schedule shows Celebrity and Norwegian are stopping there in Sept and Oct this year. 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/guernsey-island-port-561?tab=schedule&month=2021-09#schedule

Maybe because things are getting better covid-wise, they are allowing some ships in the fall (?)

Any chance Princess would add Guernsey back in to the schedule?

1 hour ago, Kthynoll said:

My cruise for Sept. also had Guernsey removed. I assumed because the port announced in March no cruise ships for this year. But -- the port schedule shows Celebrity and Norwegian are stopping there in Sept and Oct this year. 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/guernsey-island-port-561?tab=schedule&month=2021-09#schedule

Maybe because things are getting better covid-wise, they are allowing some ships in the fall (?)

Any chance Princess would add Guernsey back in to the schedule?

I do not think there are any changes to my knowledge of Guernsey changing their minds in allowing cruise ship visits in 2021.

On 6/3/2021 at 11:29 AM, devonuk said:

For the avoidance of doubt despite asking time and time again my agent just would not confirm it for me until just after I paid in full 🤔

Yes, I read the rumours but I wanted it in writing which I finally got. To me it’s a question of principle that I should be told... there will still be pax on this cruise that will not be aware as they don’t do social media or trawl forums. 

Look at your UK cruise contract very carefully. Usually you will find within it the definition of a major va minor change. The definition is important because under the UK PTR you can get a refund if there is a major change, but not a minor one.

Have not read the Princess UK contract but on the Celebrity one missing one port and replacing with a sea day would have been minor where as missing two ports replaced with sea days would have been considered to be major.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nocl said:

Look at your UK cruise contract very carefully. Usually you will find within it the definition of a major va minor change. The definition is important because under the UK PTR you can get a refund if there is a major change, but not a minor one.

Have not read the Princess UK contract but on the Celebrity one missing one port and replacing with a sea day would have been minor where as missing two ports replaced with sea days would have been considered to be major.

Thank you 👍