My saddest cruise memory from 2020!

Host CMLA

22 hours ago, lazydayz said:

We were lucky to get two cruises in last year, including one to the ABC islands.  We jumped on the Mariner in late February, knowing it would be our last cruise for a while.  But I thought a while was months, not over a year.  So I booked cruises for July, August, September, you get the idea. So 14 cruises cancelled so far.  But we look to be back SOON.  Two cruises booked in July, so fingers and toes are crossed. 

Fourteen!  I may be up near that number.  I had March 2020 canceled, May 2020 canceled, June 2020 canceled, July 2020 canceled, August 2020 canceled (my 50th birthday cruise to Bermuda), October 2020 canceled, Thanksgiving 2020 canceled, New Years 2020/2021 canceled, March 2021 canceled, May 2021 canceled, June 2021 canceled and July 2021 canceled.  Next up is Thanksgiving 2021.  So 12 canceled.  Only 4 of them were original cruises.  The rest were canx and I rescheduled thinking cruising would be restarted by then. 

I actually worked for Cruise Critic for 17 years and lost my job on May 5, 2020.  I kept thinking it would be a nice short break and then I'd be back at work.  No such luck.  😞

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Host CMLA said:

Fourteen!  I may be up near that number.  I had March 2020 canceled, May 2020 canceled, June 2020 canceled, July 2020 canceled, August 2020 canceled (my 50th birthday cruise to Bermuda), October 2020 canceled, Thanksgiving 2020 canceled, New Years 2020/2021 canceled, March 2021 canceled, May 2021 canceled, June 2021 canceled and July 2021 canceled.  Next up is Thanksgiving 2021.  So 12 canceled.  Only 4 of them were original cruises.  The rest were canx and I rescheduled thinking cruising would be restarted by then. 

I actually worked for Cruise Critic for 17 years and lost my job on May 5, 2020.  I kept thinking it would be a nice short break and then I'd be back at work.  No such luck.  😞

Aww, HostCMLA, I'm so sorry to hear that. That is truly a crummy bummer. I do appreciate your posts and inputs. I pray that things will get better for you in the near future! 

• Like 1

I stepped off of the Royal Princess in LAX to be greeted by a bunch of angry passengers that were waiting to board and had just been informed that their trip was cancelled.  That, along with the fact that I had 3 bucket list trips/cruises planned in 2020.  (TA via Iceland , inaugural cruise on the Apex w/a land trip to Paris, and the Greek Isles, Croatia and Adriatic cruises). Hope I am able to make them up in the future.  

@Host CMLA Very sorry to hear of your job loss.  Much more important than my whining....☹️

Mine is a sad story indeed.  My husband and I loved cruising together on Carnival, and had two wonderful cruises in March and April 2019 on Horizon and Splendor that we had booked a year earlier, along with an October 2020 11 day cruise on Legend in the Mediterranean— Venice, Rome, Naples, Sicily, Florence, Kotor, Montenegro, GREECE, Marseilles, and Barcelona.  I might have forgotten some other ports but no matter, it was a FANTASTIC itinerary and one I have not seen before or since on Carnival!  And we had booked a beautiful Suite on Legend for this special cruise!

Anyway after our 2019 cruise he was diagnosed with cancer and died six months later. 😢 It was devastating of course.

Even if I had wanted to still go, which I did, the cruise was cancelled due to Covid.  I have always wanted to go to Italy (I’m Italian) and my husband always wanted to take me, alas it was not meant to be.  Now I am faced with learning how to travel solo and it is daunting.  Especially to Europe. 

So yeah, that’s my sad 2020 cruise memory. 😢

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Circlt said:

Mine is a sad story indeed.  My husband and I loved cruising together on Carnival, and had two wonderful cruises in March and April 2019 on Horizon and Splendor that we had booked a year earlier, along with an October 2020 11 day cruise on Legend in the Mediterranean— Venice, Rome, Naples, Sicily, Florence, Kotor, Montenegro, GREECE, Marseilles, and Barcelona.  I might have forgotten some other ports but no matter, it was a FANTASTIC itinerary and one I have not seen before or since on Carnival!  And we had booked a beautiful Suite on Legend for this special cruise!

Anyway after our 2019 cruise he was diagnosed with cancer and died six months later. 😢 It was devastating of course.

Even if I had wanted to still go, which I did, the cruise was cancelled due to Covid.  I have always wanted to go to Italy (I’m Italian) and my husband always wanted to take me, alas it was not meant to be.  Now I am faced with learning how to travel solo and it is daunting.  Especially to Europe. 

so sorry to hear this.  as you read we had our 50th and 51st anniversary cruises cancelled and i am worried about our future booked cruises because my husband was diagnosed with cancer.  my heart and my prayers are with you.  hugs from texas

• Like 3

My saddest memory was from my last cruise which ended March 15, 2020.  I distinctly remember the last night on the Carnival Glory.  On the last night, I was sitting up in a clam shell on the serenity deck watching the sail in up the Mississippi River.  This is something I do on many last cruises, the last night trying to soak in the last few minutes.  The difference this night was there was thick fog and the horn was being sounded in regular intervals every couple of minutes.

It amazed me how much the world changed by midweek that cruise.  I was to get off that cruise and drive to pickup family to get on another cruise.  🚢 

No way I would have believed that I wouldn't be on a ship again for well over a year.  One more funny about that cruise, in the rush to get home (and find toilet paper on the way home) I forgot to empty one of the bed side cabinets leaving 2 books, our pajamas, and two sets of earphones.  Unfortunately, while a lost report was done, they have never been retrieved.

On 6/5/2021 at 5:48 AM, Saint Greg said:

I was fortunate to cruise on Panorama last year. I believe it was the next to last cruise  panorama did. We were held on the ship an extra day due to a COVID-19 scare.

My last cruise was on the IMAGINATION scheduled to depart the very day that the PANORAMA that Saint Greg was on, had returned a day late because of Covid testing. Sitting there at the port watching the PANORAMA debark and then embark, while our ship sat out in the harbor waiting to debark and then embark with me. Normally leaves port around 5:00, didn't get out until 9:00.

I had cruised on the PANORAMA a month or so earlier and was just taking a 4-dayer to sandwich in because I was booked on the PANORAMA again in the year, which of course didn't happen.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Circlt said:

I'm so sorry.  😞   I hope you make it to Italy and that your husband will be looking down on you smiling. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Aww, HostCMLA, I'm so sorry to hear that. That is truly a crummy bummer. I do appreciate your posts and inputs. I pray that things will get better for you in the near future! 

23 hours ago, taznremmy said:

@Host CMLA Very sorry to hear of your job loss.  Much more important than my whining....☹️

Thanks.  I know jobs are supposed to be just jobs but working for Cruise Critic was a dream job that never felt like work for all 17 years.  If I'm being honest, I'm still mourning the loss.  Thankfully I've been able to stay around as a host.  Maybe Cruise Critic will ramp back up and there will be another opportunity for me with the company?  I can only hope.  Thanks for the support.  Fingers crossed we're all going to be ok very soon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Circlt said:

My husbands grandmother has been a widow for about 20+ years. She travels extensively (pre covid) and goes with some really great tour operators. She is also part of a national Widow Persons group that does a ton of local tours and trips and has even cruised with them. It might make the first few trips a bit easier if you are in a group setting. My condolences on the loss of your husband. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Host CMLA said:

Thanks.  I know jobs are supposed to be just jobs but working for Cruise Critic was a dream job that never felt like work for all 17 years.  If I'm being honest, I'm still mourning the loss.  Thankfully I've been able to stay around as a host.  Maybe Cruise Critic will ramp back up and there will be another opportunity for me with the company?  I can only hope.  Thanks for the support.  Fingers crossed we're all going to be ok very soon. 

Out of curiosity, and you of course do not have to answer, what was your job with cruisecritic? Also, were there a lot of layoffs by cruisecritic?

I went the first week of March last year and the line shut down the next week- so my saddest memory is getting off that last time. I also lost a birthday cruise in August and then didn't book anything else until this year and the end of it at that, lol. Honestly the last cruise I was on I really didn't think they were going to shut down. They had implemented protocols and it didn't feel unsafe, I thought it was fine. Then I was certain they'd be re-opened for the summer, very nearly my whole town was after a two month quarantine. That will be the saddest memory of 2020 in regard to cruising, that it never resumed. I can't believe this has gone on as long as it has.  

On 6/4/2021 at 2:44 PM, Host CMLA said:

Hi there!  I know most of us didn't cruise in 2020 but we still had sad cruise memories.  For me, it was the cancellation of our Radiance Transatlantic that was supposed to depart on June 11, 2020.  I'd already bought the shirts and everything.  Now when I wear the shirt around the house, I'm reminded of my missed cruise. 

Anyone else? 

I actually did cruise in 2020.  I got off the Magic on January 4, 2020.  Seems so looooooong ago.....

20210603_085734.jpg

Similarly, we were supposed to do Legend TA from NY to Dover with some cool stops in Greenland/Shetlands/Iceland/etc. Hoping that Itin comes back. 

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Out of curiosity, and you of course do not have to answer, what was your job with cruisecritic? Also, were there a lot of layoffs by cruisecritic?

I don't mind sharing.  When I started, I was the assistant community manager working over all the boards, making sure everyone played nice, handling user problems, tech issues, etc.  Over time I transitioned over to working almost exclusively for member reviews.  Over 40,000 member reviews were submitted every year.  I processed those reviews and published them to the site.  Answered questions about member reviews and the process.  Those member reviews came in all day everyday and I got them up on the site.  Dream job for me.  I got to read about cruises everyday.  When cruises stopped, reviews stopped.  Cruise Critic was great.  They kept me around until May 2020 which was a long time when there are no cruises and no reviews.  I think about 65% of Cruise Critic staff was let go.  A few from the community stayed because we're all still here talking about cruising and some editorial staff, sales staff, management.  They've kept as many people employed as possible.   Cruise Critic is owned by TripAdvisor.  Trip laid off 1/4 of their employees, about 900 people.  I switched back to being a host which is how I started back in 2003.  Being a host is a volunteer position but it still keeps me connected to cruising.  I've since gotten another job in the fintech industry but I'd drop it in a heartbeat to be able to come back to Cruise Critic.  😞

1 hour ago, Jasonsterling said:

I went the first week of March last year and the line shut down the next week- so my saddest memory is getting off that last time. I also lost a birthday cruise in August and then didn't book anything else until this year and the end of it at that, lol. Honestly the last cruise I was on I really didn't think they were going to shut down. They had implemented protocols and it didn't feel unsafe, I thought it was fine. Then I was certain they'd be re-opened for the summer, very nearly my whole town was after a two month quarantine. That will be the saddest memory of 2020 in regard to cruising, that it never resumed. I can't believe this has gone on as long as it has.  

I had a cruise booked for March 14, 2020 and leading up to it I went back and forth wondering if I should cancel.  I never imagined the cruise line would cancel and stop.  How could that ever be a possibility?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host CMLA said:

I don't mind sharing.  When I started, I was the assistant community manager working over all the boards, making sure everyone played nice, handling user problems, tech issues, etc.  Over time I transitioned over to working almost exclusively for member reviews.  Over 40,000 member reviews were submitted every year.  I processed those reviews and published them to the site.  Answered questions about member reviews and the process.  Those member reviews came in all day everyday and I got them up on the site.  Dream job for me.  I got to read about cruises everyday.  When cruises stopped, reviews stopped.  Cruise Critic was great.  They kept me around until May 2020 which was a long time when there are no cruises and no reviews.  I think about 65% of Cruise Critic staff was let go.  A few from the community stayed because we're all still here talking about cruising and some editorial staff, sales staff, management.  They've kept as many people employed as possible.   Cruise Critic is owned by TripAdvisor.  Trip laid off 1/4 of their employees, about 900 people.  I switched back to being a host which is how I started back in 2003.  Being a host is a volunteer position but it still keeps me connected to cruising.  I've since gotten another job in the fintech industry but I'd drop it in a heartbeat to be able to come back to Cruise Critic.  😞

I had a cruise booked for March 14, 2020 and leading up to it I went back and forth wondering if I should cancel.  I never imagined the cruise line would cancel and stop.  How could that ever be a possibility?  

Thank you for replying. I was wondering why the layoff since these boards seem as busy as ever, but it does make sense that no cruises were being reviewed.

Glad you can still stay involved as a host. (Do I now get a pass from having any posts deleted?😉)

We cruised in February of last year on the Elation just as the pandemic was firing up, the only 'precautions' taken pre-cruise was a short questionnaire (which I'm POSITIVE everyone answered with complete honesty).  

As it turns out this was our least enjoyable cruse so far.  First off we were disappointed that we didn't spot any whales on our whale watching excursion in Grant Turk - the tour boat played a tape recording of whale noises and told us it was live on their hydrophone.  In my most humble opinion they should have offered at least a partial refund.

THEN, on the way back to port we got into a hell of a storm that lasted FOREVER.  I later found out we were in 70 mph wind and 17 to 18 ft. seas.  Unfortunately, being the last night of the cruise, I had extra everything at dinner and extra drinks at the show.  To make matters worse we were on the top deck near the front of the ship and luggage was sliding across the floor, closet doors were banging, ...... I made it through about three hours before succumbing, and only managed a couple hours of sleep all night.  Were were very late getting into port so disembarkation was a catastrophe, and I had to drive over 8 hours to get home.

Still, I guess it wasn't TOO bad of an experience because I currently have 6 future cruises booked over the course of this year and next.  :)

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 1

Mine was walking off the Valor on Feb 15th 2020, thinking I will be on a Cruise again in October 2020. Now 4 cancellations later, patiently (not) waiting on their decision for cruise out of California for August. 

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Thank you for replying. I was wondering why the layoff since these boards seem as busy as ever, but it does make sense that no cruises were being reviewed.

Glad you can still stay involved as a host. (Do I now get a pass from having any posts deleted?😉)

I don't moderate the Carnival board but if you get in trouble, I can put in a good word for you. 😉

2 minutes ago, Host CMLA said:

I don't moderate the Carnival board but if you get in trouble, I can put in a good word for you. 😉

OK, thanks. As well as this board I am generally on Ask a Cruise Question, Holland America, and Princess.