Anyway to register without downloading the Medallion app?

Jemnibabe

6 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

If they say buffet will be by reservation, I'd say you can take it to the bank.

It actually makes sense because the buffet is most likely to go from 90% self serve something very different and that will require extra people and they want to be able to distance too.

Or so I think.

I suspect it is strictly for physical distancing purposes.

But I do not understand why physical distancing is needed on fully vaccinated cruises.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caribill said:

I suspect it is strictly for physical distancing purposes.

But I do not understand why physical distancing is needed on fully vaccinated cruises.

As long as you are on, you should repost in this thread -

what you heard from Princess. I think that is great information and I thank you for yours efforts to clarify and be helpful.

• Like 1

Here is what I got from Princess in Sydney today:-

OCEAN Medallion App; if you are unable to access the app via smart phone or tablet pre-cruise, you will be able to complete your full check-in and health questionnaire at the port during embarkation. Onboard the ships, we will provide touch screen stations throughout the ship which you can use to access the features of the app.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, casofilia said:

OCEAN Medallion App; if you are unable to access the app via smart phone or tablet pre-cruise, you will be able to complete your full check-in and health questionnaire at the port during embarkation. Onboard the ships, we will provide touch screen stations throughout the ship which you can use to access the features of the app.

Mike

Mike-

Is there any chance you could ask them how to know what time to show up at the terminal?  Last I saw, if you just show up without an assigned time they won't let you in.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Mike-

Is there any chance you could ask them how to know what time to show up at the terminal?  Last I saw, if you just show up without an assigned time they won't let you in.

Thanks.

That is the conundrum.  Those using the MC App will have a selected or assigned Arrival Group.  If you don't select, Princess assigns.  That means those not using MC App are defaulted to an Arrival Group, but have no way to know what it is.  So, how to know to show up?  I'd say show up when you can and explain the situation.  Hopefully, they won't be sending folks away for an hour or two. 

What I really hope is that after 2021, this will be unnecessary and we can return to the old way.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, casofilia said:

I don't know if what Princess is doing in Sydney will be the same as what Princess does in CA, WA and FL because of different regulations.

The big sticking point in the U.S. seems to be if you don't have the app, and can't satisfy Princess on the health & risk agreement at the port; they will deny you boarding.

21 hours ago, caribill said:

I E-mailed a couple of the execs on the list posted earlier on this thread about my concerns about not having an acceptable smart device to run the app for entering required pre-cruise information.

Today I received a call from a nice person at Princess who told me the following:

o There are no current plans to restore the Personalizer functionality that has been removed. In the future Princess might evaluate the relative cost of using the Personalizer to enter in required pre-cruise information vs. the cost of losing customers that do not have access to current smart devices that can run the app.

o Although having a smart device is not required during the cruise, access to one pre-cruise is required in order to provide Princess with all your needed information.

o If you do not have access to a smart device that can run the app, you can call Princess and some, but not all,  of the required information can be entered by the Princess rep over the phone.

o The rest of the required information can be provided when you check-in for the cruise. But if you are unable to provide a needed piece of information at that time, you will be denied boarding.

o The future is marching towards smart devices and away from desktops, even if the customer finds using the smart device is harder, takes longer, and is more prone to data entry errors than using a desktop keyboard.

o If you have a smart Android or Apple device with an "obsolete" operating system, you should download a newer, acceptable version of the operating system. (I am not familiar enough with smart phones/tablets to know how easy/difficult this is or if it is even possible to do this. I only know that all the CC posts I have seen about this say they purchased a newer phone/tablet with nobody posting that they were able to download a newer operating system.)

She also provided some information about dining, although she indicated this was what the status is today. It might change tomorrow or the next day or.....

o Physical distancing will be the rule in the dining rooms, so you will likely only be able to be at a table with those in your traveling group. This may mean that a couple traveling alone may only be at a table for two, even if there is room for more people at the table.

o Eating at the buffet will require an appointment to do so.

Again, this is of today. Tomorrow = ????

If you are concerned about being able to prepare for your cruise without access to a device than can run the app, I suggest sending an E-mail to people on the exec list that was earlier in the thread. Maybe with enough requests, they may do something about it.

Glad this has been clarified. 

11 hours ago, casofilia said:

Mike

Thanks for sharing. This is the same several of us in North America have been told by Princess. 

6 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Mike-

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

That is the conundrum.  Those using the MC App will have a selected or assigned Arrival Group.  If you don't select, Princess assigns.  That means those not using MC App are defaulted to an Arrival Group, but have no way to know what it is.  So, how to know to show up?  I'd say show up when you can and explain the situation.  Hopefully, they won't be sending folks away for an hour or two. 

Question was asked during today's webinar but was ignored.

They did say if you were at the terminal too early you would be sent away.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, caribill said:

Question was asked during today's webinar but was ignored.

They did say if you were at the terminal too early you would be sent away.

Down vote on that message (not you - Princess).

Also, ignore a difficult question.  I wish I could be there and ask John C. how the DMW app is doing at replicating the dining promises he has made.

Edited by Steelers36

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I wish I could be there and ask John C. how the DMW app is doing at replicating the dining promises he has made.

He indicated he knows it works for some people and that some people have had problems.

One person posted that on their cruise the earliest dining time available on some nights is 8:40 PM.

12 minutes ago, caribill said:

He indicated he knows it works for some people and that some people have had problems.

One person posted that on their cruise the earliest dining time available on some nights is 8:40 PM.

But he is either oblivious to the functionality or doesn't get it.  There is no selection of table-size.  Would be nice to know if a bunch of inventory is held back.  Would be good if they informed people what dining times are considered to fall within TD parameters in order to align with evening entertainment.  

Would be nice to have an answer as to why the IT team did not honor people's dining requests in Personalizer as to table size and travelling companions.  Why did they bother to assign default reservations and fill up a bunch of tables that some people won't want?

Maybe I can deduce his email address.

Edited by Steelers36

13 minutes ago, caribill said:

Hard to say - depends on voyage date.  I think I have read the earliest voyages are not mixing cabins at tables, so they must have 2's and 4's alone at large tables?  IDK about near-term voyages, but quite clear that some voyages at least in 2022 do not have full inventories released.  So, hard to understand what is going on.  I read DMW was a "soft launch".  But no info on what their next move is. 

I think John C. wants to sell cabins on voyages and isn't particularly concerned about how people eat.  LOL.

45 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Would be good if they informed people what dining times are considered to fall within TD parameters in order to align with evening entertainment. 

It usually is not until at best the week before a cruise that the evening entertainment schedule is prepared. Certainly not known now for a cruise in 2022.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

It usually is not until at best the week before a cruise that the evening entertainment schedule is prepared. Certainly not known now for a cruise in 2022.

I get it, but the times are generally within a narrow range.  So, put that aside and at least help the uninitiated out with what is considered TD.  Experienced Princess cruisers know for sure 5:00pm is TD and 6:15pm is too late (as in between Early and Late).  But, some information would help newbies and infrequent cruisers know the parameters so they align with what Princess thinks.

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I get it, but the times are generally within a narrow range.  So, put that aside and at least help the uninitiated out with what is considered TD.  Experienced Princess cruisers know for sure 5:00pm is TD and 6:15pm is too late (as in between Early and Late).  But, some information would help newbies and infrequent cruisers know the parameters so they align with what Princess thinks.

I have been on a B2B where the dining times changed by 30 minutes from the first cruise to the second. Show times also changed.

And show times on formal evenings are usually different than on non-formal evenings, by 15 to 30 minutes.

So picking a dining time weeks, months or longer before a cruise even if you know what times shows are currently or in the past is still a wild guess as to the reality for your cruise.

Yes, once on board, you can use the app to change your time to the one you really need....if that time is still available.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, caribill said:

I have been on a B2B where the dining times changed by 30 minutes from the first cruise to the second. Show times also changed.

And show times on formal evenings are usually different than on non-formal evenings, by 15 to 30 minutes.

So picking a dining time weeks, months or longer before a cruise even if you know what times shows are currently or in the past is still a wild guess as to the reality for your cruise.

Yes, once on board, you can use the app to change your time to the one you really need....if that time is still available.

Yes, certainly people can change time on board once they see Patter or other reasons to alter.  

I agree with you on some of the fluctuations as we have experienced same, depending on night and type of show/entertainment.  But, we have always been able to make a show we wanted with having Early TD and we have never had the earliest time(s) - i.e. 5:00pm - since Princess backed up those start times a couple or so years ago.  I think most of our recent voyages had a 5:15pm TD start and 5:00pm AT start, IIRC.  We were shooting for 5:45pm or no earlier than 5:30pm on those trips.

I expect things will work out if one is persistent with DMW or visits the MD for a request.  I just think they could make things better for the folks and for the MD staff if they do some basic updates to DMW so they can meet the promises made in marketing and on their website advertising.

• 7 months later...
On 6/9/2021 at 12:36 AM, waltd said:

Did I read some where that you can now load the App on an android?   Has Princess announced yet that the App is up and running and ready to use?   It sounds to me that they are still working on it?????

Very slow on my Android and doesn’t always work.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:39 PM, caribill said:

I E-mailed a couple of the execs on the list posted earlier on this thread about my concerns about not having an acceptable smart device to run the app for entering required pre-cruise information.

Today I received a call from a nice person at Princess who told me the following:

o There are no current plans to restore the Personalizer functionality that has been removed. In the future Princess might evaluate the relative cost of using the Personalizer to enter in required pre-cruise information vs. the cost of losing customers that do not have access to current smart devices that can run the app.

o Although having a smart device is not required during the cruise, access to one pre-cruise is required in order to provide Princess with all your needed information.

o If you do not have access to a smart device that can run the app, you can call Princess and some, but not all,  of the required information can be entered by the Princess rep over the phone.

o The rest of the required information can be provided when you check-in for the cruise. But if you are unable to provide a needed piece of information at that time, you will be denied boarding.

o The future is marching towards smart devices and away from desktops, even if the customer finds using the smart device is harder, takes longer, and is more prone to data entry errors than using a desktop keyboard.

o If you have a smart Android or Apple device with an "obsolete" operating system, you should download a newer, acceptable version of the operating system. (I am not familiar enough with smart phones/tablets to know how easy/difficult this is or if it is even possible to do this. I only know that all the CC posts I have seen about this say they purchased a newer phone/tablet with nobody posting that they were able to download a newer operating system.)

She also provided some information about dining, although she indicated this was what the status is today. It might change tomorrow or the next day or.....

o Physical distancing will be the rule in the dining rooms, so you will likely only be able to be at a table with those in your traveling group. This may mean that a couple traveling alone may only be at a table for two, even if there is room for more people at the table.

o Eating at the buffet will require an appointment to do so.

Again, this is of today. Tomorrow = ????

If you are concerned about being able to prepare for your cruise without access to a device than can run the app, I suggest sending an E-mail to people on the exec list that was earlier in the thread. Maybe with enough requests, they may do something about it.

My iPod touch will not update to iOS 13 and the earlier version of the Medallion app won’t work. Android phone similar problem.

21 minutes ago, mcc said:

My iPod touch will not update to iOS 13 and the earlier version of the Medallion app won’t work. Android phone similar problem.

Are you aware of the new web-based OCEAN pages for registering (It replicates the Personal Information & Documents section of OCEAN Ready in the MC App)?  You login to Princess.com.  You pull up your voyage in the Cruise Personalizer.  On the main page there is the notice about downloading the App from Apple or Google.  Just below that, there is a URL to the web interface with a note to access it if can't use the MC App.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Are you aware of the new web-based OCEAN pages for registering (It replicates the Personal Information & Documents section of OCEAN Ready in the MC App)?  You login to Princess.com.  You pull up your voyage in the Cruise Personalizer.  On the main page there is the notice about downloading the App from Apple or Google.  Just below that, there is a URL to the web interface with a note to access it if can't use the MC App.

Does not work. Pvp unable to help.

• 4 months later...