Anyway to register without downloading the Medallion app?

Jemnibabe

Scottca,  We are not going to get into some kind of strange debate over travel facts.  But COVID has changed many things having to do with travel and folks will need to adapt or find themselves either outside looking in or having to deal with many hassles.   If your parents cannot deal with the Princess procedures they can certainly look elsewhere (we have cruised on 16 different lines) as their loyalty to Princess is a problem of their own making.   As to Greece being a "third world country" I can assure you that Greece is anything but a third world country, is a going member of the European Union, is one of 26 member countries of the Schengen Treaty (you can Google that if you don't know what it means), and is a very popular tourist destination for Americans and Europeans.   The reason I specifically mentioned Greece is because they are one of the first major cruise countries that has opened up to Americans and actually done much to help the traveler/cruiser.  Since they are a Schengen country this will likely have a huge impact on many other Western European countries.  And you might consider that quite a few popular Caribbean islands are closely aligned with some European countries and may follow similar rules.

International travel has become very complex because of the many COVID-related restrictions that vary from country to country.  Just flying through a country (called transiting) and needing to change planes can create big problems because the country you are transiting through might have different restrictions from your final destination.  Cruise lines have all been making major changes to not only enhance health/safety, but they also must comply with the rules/regulations/restrictions being imposed by each country they may visit on any voyage.  Even in the Caribbean this can be a big mess because some countries, such as Barbados, may have much tougher rules then a country such as St Vincent.  

Smartphones are "not the wave of the future" but are very NOW!   Up until recently we could have traveled anywhere in the world without a Smartphone (although they certainly eased things) but now that is no longer the case.  Consider that I need to download and complete an app to simply fly to Barbados!  This is likely to be one of those situations where folks will need to either "go along" or "get along."

Hank

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Smartphones are "not the wave of the future" but are very NOW!   Up until recently we could have traveled anywhere in the world without a Smartphone (although they certainly eased things) but now that is no longer the case.  Consider that I need to download and complete an app to simply fly to Barbados!  This is likely to be one of those situations where folks will need to either "go along" or "get along."

The app still needs to work. I'm guessing the apps you need for Greece or Barbados actually function. The issue here is that the Princess app doesn't work.

• Like 7

I continue to be disappointed in the app. I was recently able to order medallions (this was easy) and select dining options (after much trying). However, I have not been able to do anything with our passports and other boarding data. I have an updated phone and updated app. This app is a mess and I am going to ignore it for a few months - our next cruise isn't until January - and hope for the best then. I get so aggravated using it as it turns my hearing aid OFF.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The app still needs to work. I'm guessing the apps you need for Greece or Barbados actually function. The issue here is that the Princess app doesn't work.

Exactly. This app is probably the worst I have ever encountered 

• Like 3

Just now, Thrak said:

LOL  nothing surprising about cruise line software not functioning :(.  We started using the original Princess Medallion apps when they were pretty new and some of it worked, some did not work, the apps would frequently go down (while on the ships), etc.  In the past few days my Seabourn app has not been working (causing me issues with two outstanding reservations) so Princess is in good company.  I think travelers/cruisers either need to get a good supply of Xanax or learn how to roll with the waves.  DW and I have spent nearly the entire day trying to resolve a new travel problem (caused by American Airlines) and have only been waiting 6 hours (as of now) to get a call-back from AA.  The cruise lines are often not much better (.

Hank

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Not quite the point. My parents have been cruising on Princess for 32 years. They have been and will continue to use other cruise lines, but have built up status on Princess, which is the point of loyalty programs. Also, Los Angeles is their home port. Being in their 90s, travel to other ports (FLL, MIA, NYC, etc) isn't easy. They aren't forced to use Princess, but would like to. Why does Princess seem to insist on making this difficult and unpleasant?

As they pointed out they have FCC to use. Life isn't black & white.

I think Princess is pretending or wanting it to be that the happy family in this picture is their typical cruise party, not 70 somethings. If Princess WANTS the people in the pic they better start buildings hips like the NCL Bliss and RC Oasis.

But few stores have self checkout only. Fresh & Easy tried that concept and they flopped badly.

Banks still have tellers, even though they have ATMs.

Airlines still counters, even though they have self check-in kiosks. Ditto for rental car companies.

Sam's Club let's you self checkout by scanning as you go using their app, but still have checkers.

I am sure banks, airlines, fast food restaurants, stores, etc would LOVE to fire their customer facing people and go all app. We will one day, sooner rather than later, but all recognize now is not the time to FORCE their customers into it.

It shouldn't be a "battle". It should be Burger King, "Have It Your Way". Princess leadership needs to be realistic about who their paying customers are right now.

I think they made a monetary judgment on not integrating the Medallion app with their current Cruise Personalizer and that might bite them in the posterior. Penny wise, pound foolish, as they say.

Greece is a freaking third world country that is virtually bankrupt. Good luck. You need look no further than the Athens bus system to understand the difference between Germany and Greece.

Yes Smartphones are great, handy and the wave of the future, but organizations(be they countries or companies) that abandon current methods and standards, do so at their own peril.

AMEN!!! Agree with every pont made above!!

Now I f Princess would only listen and get real about all this!!!

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Right.  I have never had an issue with using probably as many as 10 different airline apps - maybe 12.  Never had an issue with major hotel chain apps.  Neither with car rental apps.  Neither with travel rating and advisory apps.  I could go on and on.  I cannot think of any major business app of any stripe that had any significant issues and nothing even resembling the MC App which I feel we are all Alpha Testing.

• Like 3

Likewise, I have never had an issue with any other travel / cruise app, only Princess Medallion. My iOS system is meant to be ok but obviously is not as the app constantly crashes. I am booked on a short cruise to use my FCC so am committed to a Princess cruise to use this. I don’t see why I should lose money just because of the ineptness of the app. I have emailed the two Ocean Ready accounts and so will wait to hear if they have a solution, apart from buy a new smartphone, which is not a solution but a workaround in their favour.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2021 at 7:20 PM, Jemnibabe said:

Apparently, they are forcing everyone to register for a cruise and put all your information on the Medallion Plus App.  So what happens to all those who can't do that for one reason or other like no smart phone or ability to deal with the new technology?  Many of the older cruisers might have to buy a phone or just not be able to cruise?  Please, no comments about "get used to it" or get "up to date."  

Judy in SW Florida

I received a reply from customerreltions@princesscruises.com

“you can complete your personal information at the pier. Fill in what you can and we will have agents at the pier to assist you with completing the rest. “

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dog said:

“you can complete your personal information at the pier. Fill in what you can and we will have agents at the pier to assist you with completing the rest. “

Kind of obviates the need for app...

And creates a new line.🤢

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, downsmead said:

apart from buy a new smartphone, which is not a solution but a workaround in their favour.

I have the latest versions of iPhone & iPad with their current iOS and are still limited by their glitchy incomplete app so apparently that’s not even a workaround for their problems.

In the nearly 4.5 years since January 2017 when CCL CEO Arnold touted MC at the CES it’s been one delay after another with missed deadlines to be working as promised. Sadly that trend continues until today & is even worse now because they’ve eliminated the Cruise Personalizer functions & are forcing passengers to use an incomplete app. For those sailing in about 6 weeks dealing with an inconsistent app it must be very difficult to prepare for their cruises.

After 4.5 years of promises they should have created a smooth & easy transition from the CP to the app particularly after about 15 months without any cruises…very disappointing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Kind of obviates the need for app...

And creates a new line.🤢

On Medallion Class Monday, he said several times all one needs is the Medallion. Nobody is required to have a smartphone or use the app on any device. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billco said:

On Medallion Class Monday, he said several times all one needs is the Medallion. Nobody is required to have a smartphone or use the app on any device. 

True, once you're on board the ship. But to get fully checked in and pick dining, etc. pre-cruise, you have to have a supported smart phone and the (functional) MC app.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, billco said:

I heard him, he only talked about once you are on-board the ship. I did not hear him say that for pre cruise,  but my reply today said they will have agents at the pier to assist in completing the forms. Personal information etc 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 10:01 AM, Astro Flyer said:

As of their 6/3 webinar these are the requirements which currently must be done on the app & whether that will modified or not is still to be determined.

Currently the requirement to accept their mandatory Risk Assessment Policy & Vaccination Attestation will only be possible through the app & not on their website.

D2F147AC-835D-4581-A71B-80F848EA8827.jpeg

EFD701B4-85DA-4093-B878-E5DB65705B7E.jpeg

19397070-3AD4-4B8F-97A3-D2CE2FB6D846.jpeg

Umm umm I have a Samsung S9 and can't do this!! Apparently I will need to find someone with a new iPhone, complete on their phone, check to make sure it's ok on my app, then delete the app on their phone. What a pain in the ass

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dog said:

That's not acceptable.  Unless a cruise is days away and no way to get it fixed. 

ETA - In our case, Princess has (had?) the data for Check-in Step 1.  Their IT screwed up the data conversion.  Not my problem.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

That's not acceptable.  Unless a cruise is days away and no way to get it fixed. 

ETA - In our case, Princess has (had?) the data for Check-in Step 1.  Their IT screwed up the data conversion.  Not my problem.

error

6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

As I stated in an earlier post, it will be the shortest line 😁

yes, it was similar to the response you got a few days ago. 

my post was to share, not my opinion. 

thanks again 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Umm umm I have a Samsung S9 and can't do this!! Apparently I will need to find someone with a new iPhone, complete on their phone, check to make sure it's ok on my app, then delete the app on their phone. What a pain in the ass

Been around and around with Medallion Support about failure of their MedallionClass App. They took our emergency contact info, credit card info, already had our birth dated etc. Told that while it will be slower, there will be pier staff to put in all the other required info for those who could never get into the app to begin with and they're aware of the app failures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PROCRUISE said:

Been around and around with Medallion Support about failure of their MedallionClass App. They took our emergency contact info, credit card info, already had our birth dated etc. Told that while it will be slower, there will be pier staff to put in all the other required info for those who could never get into the app to begin with and they're aware of the app failures.

Good to hear some others are getting the same answers.

They say there will be help at the pier to complete paperwork.

Did they mention the Risk or Health forms?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dog said:

I wonder how this affects Princess' ability to provide TSA with a complete list of passengers with appropriate information about them hours ahead of sailing.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

I wonder how this affects Princess' ability to provide TSA with a complete list of passengers with appropriate information about them hours ahead of sailing.

Contact them and ask 

• Like 1

It is fine that we can be checked in at the pier, however since we do not have a functioning app we are unable to book dining times etc and therefore will be at a disadvantage. Hopefully ATD will still be allowed (we sail late October), even if we will have to queue / get a pager.

• Like 1