Anyway to register without downloading the Medallion app?

Jemnibabe

I just now checked the link on the Princess site and the MC app is once again available in the Google Play Store.

EDIT: I deleted the app from my phone and then installed the version that has just been restored to the Play Store. It has the small amount of info I had entered into the previous version but still doesn't allow me to do any of the stuff I couldn't do before. I can't enter personal information or documents. I still get the "all hands on tech" message. When I hit the link to choose Medallion accessories it still gives me the "loading" message and then locks up on a white screen.

There is no improvement at all as far as I can tell...

Edited by Thrak

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

There is something that I don't understand about this thread and similar ones complaining about how a cruise line is doing things.  Are there other cruise lines out there?  Does Princess do any cruises that are unique?  Are there other cruise lines that are similar in ship ambience?  If you don't like the way Princess or any other cruise line is treating you, don't use them any more and tell them why.   Nobody is forcing you to cruise Princess.

DON

I agree. I prefer NCL to Princess. Problem is I kept booking Princess all these years,because of the perks. Military OBC, Stockholder OBC, Elite perks, etc. Also, I have $21,000 in FCCs I opted for the cruises that were cancelled and $3000 in Gift Cards. I've applied all that to five future cruises and once those are out of the way, I'll consider your advice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I just now checked the link on the Princess site and the MC app is once again available in the Google Play Store.

EDIT: I deleted the app from my phone and then installed the version that has just been restored to the Play Store. It has the small amount of info I had entered into the previous version but still doesn't allow me to do any of the stuff I couldn't do before. I can't enter personal information or documents. I still get the "all hands on tech" message. When I hit the link to choose Medallion accessories it still gives me the "loading" message and then locks up on a white screen.

There is no improvement at all as far as I can tell...

I wonder if it is only appearing for US mobile customers.  I don't see the app here in Canada.  No reason for it to be country-specific.

Otherwise, the behavior you report is what I get when using the app on my wife's phone.  Cannot enter Blue Lane info step 1.  No DMW.

We are both Samsung S10 with latest Android O/S.

Edited by Steelers36

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I wonder if it is only appearing for US mobile customers.  I don't see the app here in Canada.  No reason for it to be country-specific.

Otherwise, the behavior you report is what I get when using the app on my wife's phone.  Cannot enter Blue Lane info step 1.  No DMW.

We are both Samsung S10 with latest Android O/S.

Samsung S10e (the little one) here with Android 11.  Weird that the link from Princess works for some but not for others. I just now checked the Play Store and didn't see the app listed there. Not that's really weird since, like I said, the link from Princess took me right to it this time.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Samsung S10e (the little one) here with Android 11.  Weird that the link from Princess works for some but not for others. I just now checked the Play Store and didn't see the app listed there. Not that's really weird since, like I said, the link from Princess took me right to it this time.

IDk whether I posted it here or the other thread, but I did get it from the Princess.com link based on another post you made.

47 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

IDk whether I posted it here or the other thread, but I did get it from the Princess.com link based on another post you made.

I just now did that...Princess.com...clicked on get the app in PlayStore...clicked on install and got "This Google account is not yet associated with a device. Please access the Play Store app on your device before installing apps.". So, now what? Is there a step that I missed?

55 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I just now did that...Princess.com...clicked on get the app in PlayStore...clicked on install and got "This Google account is not yet associated with a device. Please access the Play Store app on your device before installing apps.". So, now what? Is there a step that I missed?

You could try this:

Install the Play Store on your phone or tablet. Visit the Play Store on that device. Access your account on that device. Download something - anything (you may not actually have to do a download but...).  Your device should then be associated with the Play Store and your account. After that you should be able to get apps via the computer.

Edited by Thrak

We have done 18 cruises with Princess.  Four of those have been Medallion cruises. Three of those four were back to back cruises--two times we did btb  on the Regal, once we did btb on the Sky.  The other medallion cruise was the Regal for Canada/New England.  Each time the Medallion device and the Medallion app worked better.  Only on the first time we had it on the Regal were there some problems.  The last two Medallion cruises the medallion and the app worked perfectly.  Embarkation was particularly fast and easy.  We did not use the app on the ship for many things other than tracking each other, ordering drinks, purchasing items on the ship, opening the stateroom door etc.  Everything worked well; boarding and leaving the ship were tracked by scanning the app similar to the old cruise cards.

We have two Medallion cruises for 2022, one in February on the Enchanted and one November 2022 TA on the Regal.  The permanent information on the old Medallion app (IOS/Apple) such as profile and security photos, passports, PIN number, etc automatically transferred to the updated app.  The other information was easy to add.  There are some features that are not available yet such as arrival group, dine my way, etc.  I assume these will not be available until final payment is made.  Same with ordering the medallion for the cruise; final payment first.  I am somewhat tech savvy, so for me using the app is easy.  Also since we have used it before, it is not as complicated as it was the first time.  Our hardest function four years ago was getting the passport photo into the app.  Fortunately ours transferred from the old app of last year to the updated app of this past month.

Previously the medallion came in a fancy box with a lanyard and a small plastic case.  We put our medallion in its small case and either carry it in a pocket or on the lanyard. I do carry my smartphone to use some of the medallion cruise functions that the medallion and app provide.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

I have done 32 cruises for 361 days on Princess--it's been our favorite cruise line!  I am also without a smart phone and see no need for one (I'm 75).  So I think Princess could have an alternative for folks like me.

I totally see your point.  You have to make a decision - the perks for 361 days of cruising on a line that you like but doesn't give a hoot about your needs and wants or to switch lines.  Bottom line is that is your decision.

DON

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Install the Play Store on your phone or tablet. Visit the Play Store on that device. Access your account on that device. Download something - anything (you may not actually have to do a download but...).  Your device should then be associated with the Play Store and your account. After that you should be able to get apps via the computer.

Play Store is installed. I've used it for apps. Just did a D/L for updates for my installed apps.

1 minute ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Stumped the OLD IT guy.

Do I get a prize?🤩

Ah but you are right about the OLD part. I never did support for Android or the Play Store. 😁 I've fiddled about a bit with the internal phone menus at times and things of that nature - and of course have had to figure out what the heck has happened with my wife's phone (as well as her computer) but would never claim to be capable of good support for smart phones.

• Like 1

We just booked Celebrity Apex for the same month and itinerary as our Princess cruise as a back up plan “B”.  If Princess does not get their act together, then we’re back to Celebrity.  I’m really not interested in spending so much time with “well, try this and if that doesn’t work you could try this and if that doesn’t work you could hire a teenager to do it for you and if that doesn’t work for you then, too bad, so sad, because you can’t do a thing at Princess dot com anymore, so buy a new phone because that could be your problem.  We really don’t care!”   I’m exhausted worrying about this!  I’ll give it a couple more weeks to get sorted out and then I’ll be done.  Planning a cruise used to be fun.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dog said:

in my Personalizer on the Princess website it clearly says:” Coming soon” in reference to the MedallionClass app. 
and lists things you will be able to do using the app 

it is not ready for all yet. 

it will return to the “playstore”. 

As I pointed out on the main thread for the app, mine has encouraged me to download the app for a couple of weeks now.  This is what it shows now but there was an iteration of this a week ago - not everyone has the "Coming Soon" message:

image.thumb.png.6ad1f6730650c6f3069566df1deb95ec.png

Edited by azbirdmom

11 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

As of their 6/3 webinar these are the requirements which currently must be done on the app & whether that will modified or not is still to be determined.

Currently the requirement to accept their mandatory Risk Assessment Policy & Vaccination Attestation will only be possible through the app & not on their website.

D2F147AC-835D-4581-A71B-80F848EA8827.jpeg

EFD701B4-85DA-4093-B878-E5DB65705B7E.jpeg

19397070-3AD4-4B8F-97A3-D2CE2FB6D846.jpeg

Is Princess trying to eliminate travel agents?

clients can visit a local TA and use the agencies smart phone/ device as the TA walks them through it. 

I think this is one of the stupidest things this cruiseline has done 

Princess, keep the pre cruise features on the website and let TA S help their clients   

• Like 4

6 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

As I pointed out on the main thread for the app, mine has encouraged me to download the app for a couple of weeks now.  This is what it shows now but there was an iteration of this a week ago - not everyone has the "Coming Soon" message:

image.thumb.png.6ad1f6730650c6f3069566df1deb95ec.png

yes, my page was like yours Until 2 days ago. 

I can only report on what I see on My page now. 

things change. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dog said:

clients can visit a local TA and use the agencies smart phone/ device as the TA walks them through it. 

Princess, keep the pre cruise features on the website and let TA S help their clients   

My TA is either in remote NB or in FL, so not visiting them in person (not that I need to).

Your final two sentences are 120% correct and I agree.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

My TA is either in remote NB or in FL, so not visiting them in person (not that I need to).

Your final two sentences are 120% correct and I agree.

So true for many on here and the thousands plus potential cruisers who know nothing about these changes. 

for Pete’s sake… they are going to cause hectic situations at boarding.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dog said:

Princess said they are doing this to lessen the workload of the TAs. The more the client does, the less the TA has to.

Like the grocery stores with the self-service checkout lines. The more checkout work you do yourself, the less the store employees need to do for you.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess said they are doing this to lessen the workload of the TAs. The more the client does, the less the TA has to.

Like the grocery stores with the self-service checkout lines. The more checkout work you do yourself, the less the store employees need to do for you.

so Princess cares how much less work TA does

and

could care less about the anxiety, confusion, delays, work this new process is causing for potential customers?

once FCC are used up they may see some of us move along to non Medallion requirements. 

• Like 1

i don’t compare grocery store purchase to checking in for a cruise I have pre paid for. 

Edited by dog

Supermarkets install self service tills to eliminate staff, not to give them a much needed rest whilst at work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1