Anyway to register without downloading the Medallion app?

Jemnibabe

7 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I just got off the phone with my personal cruise planner and she said..........................There will be a separate line for those who don't have a smart phone and haven't used the app.  She said it might take a little longer to do at the pier. I told her I think it will be the shortest line at the pier!!!!! She said then there will be the old cruise card available.

OKI but how are we supposed to download/print out our luggage tags?

4 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The same as always, at the pier which still applies if you don't get your GTY assignment before boarding.

Where at the pier?  At the location where they load the luggage?

44 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I just got off the phone with my personal cruise planner and she said..........................There will be a separate line for those who don't have a smart phone and haven't used the app.  She said it might take a little longer to do at the pier. I told her I think it will be the shortest line at the pier!!!!! She said then there will be the old cruise card available.

Without a printed boarding pass (not available online anymore) or the equivalent on a smart phone, how would we gain access to the terminal? They always ask for your boarding pass before you’re allowed to enter the building.  So many questions!  I think I’ll call Princess tomorrow and see if they can shed anymore light on this.  Thank you so much for trying to help us out!

• Like 2

I assume that the luggage tags will be restored to the Cruise Personalizer.  Will be interesting to see how much different they look when they come back, or if they will just change the corkage fee displayed on them to $20.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Without a printed boarding pass (not available online anymore) or the equivalent on a smart phone, how would we gain access to the terminal? They always ask for your boarding pass before you’re allowed to enter the building.  So many questions!  I think I’ll call Princess tomorrow and see if they can shed anymore light on this.  Thank you so much for trying to help us out!

There is a desk downstairs from the terminal in San Pedro (where I usually board) that verifies you are on the cruise. The person at the door to get inside the terminal will point it out when you say you don't have your boarding pass. People have been known to forget their boarding pass, run out of ink or many other issues and they have a work around. They don't deny paid customers from getting on board, it just might take a few extra minutes to get things done. 

I was on a medallion sailing Feb 2019 weeks before the shutdown. I did not use an app, I got a normal cruise card and got into the terminal where they checked I was on the sailing. When I used the card to shop, disembark or other they didn't blink. The vast majority of passengers did use the medallion but the crew were also adapt to use the card. The medallion should not be used by people with pacemakers as per the brochure inside the medallion box so they can never discontinue a work around. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

There is a desk downstairs from the terminal in San Pedro (where I usually board) that verifies you are on the cruise. The person at the door to get inside the terminal will point it out when you say you don't have your boarding pass. People have been known to forget their boarding pass, run out of ink or many other issues and they have a work around. They don't deny paid customers from getting on board, it just might take a few extra minutes to get things done. 

I was on a medallion sailing Feb 2019 weeks before the shutdown. I did not use an app, I got a normal cruise card and got into the terminal where they checked I was on the sailing. When I used the card to shop, disembark or other they didn't blink. The vast majority of passengers did use the medallion but the crew were also adapt to use the card. The medallion should not be used by people with pacemakers as per the brochure inside the medallion box so they can never discontinue a work around. 

It is good to know that San Pedro will allow entrance to the terminal but what about a long flight to Europe and terminal personnel not being so accommodating?...............................................0

21 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

It is good to know that San Pedro will allow entrance to the terminal but what about a long flight to Europe and terminal personnel not being so accommodating?...............................................0

Yup, my thoughts exactly.  Our embarkation port is Copenhagen.  I would be so stressed out on the plane wondering if we would be allowed in or turned away.  I really need absolute assurance from Princess that there will no problems or issues.  I thank everyone here for trying to help, but Princess has to step up and tell exactly how they’re going to deal with this and preferably in writing.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MMsteffey said:

Actually you can use any WiFi enabled smartphone or tablet that still works.  You do not need it to function as a phone, you do not need a data plan.  Using WiFi download the app.  We use our retired î phones this way for streaming music and news via WiFi.  Will probably bring them On the cruise too.    So you don’t need to buy a new smartphone if you can have or borrow a friend’s retired phone.  However, I will admit you will probably need assistance getting familiar with the smartphone and with downloading the app. It is a learning curve with significant possible misdirections.  Good luck, I hope this works out for you. 

Good idea, but I tried to get app for my very old iphone.  Error message that the device is not compatible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Good idea, but I tried to get app for my very old iphone.  Error message that the device is not compatible.

From the download page:

image.png.7fac240c7c16378009451bd4c48603b5.png

Thrak:  I rarely get that far.  Went straight to download.  I'm a teacher who knows better (should read instructions first).  

So went back to check old phone:  IOS 10.3.4. Your software is up to date.

I have enough storage.  

Not the problem.  Phone too many generations removed?

6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

What did she say about the mandatory Covid risk form that must be submitted a day or more before embarkation and which can only be submitted via the app?

Princess says if you do not submit this form in time, you cannot cruise.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, caribill said:

What did she say about the mandatory Covid risk form that must be submitted a day or more before embarkation and which can only be submitted via the app?

Very good point, so thank you.   It just keeps getting more complicated all the time.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess also says what time to arrive for your boarding group and has never enforced it. I believe since they have a work around for boarding without an app they will have a paper version as they always had in the past for you to sign at check in.  The only issue that is out of the hands of the cruiseline is the homeland security check which is done from your booking. Cruises are in business to get your business not turn you away. 

5 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Princess also says what time to arrive for your boarding group and has never enforced it. I believe since they have a work around for boarding without an app they will have a paper version as they always had in the past for you to sign at check in.  The only issue that is out of the hands of the cruiseline is the homeland security check which is done from your booking. Cruises are in business to get your business not turn you away. 

That might happen, but on the webinar they said if this waiver was not submitted from the app at least a day before the cruise, you would not be allowed on the ship.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

That might happen, but on the webinar they said if this waiver was not submitted from the app at least a day before the cruise, you would not be allowed on the ship.

Yep. That was explicitly stated. It has to be accepted, it has to be accepted from within the app, and it has to be accepted by the passenger - it can't be done for them by their TA. In my case, those strictures don't really bother me except for the fact that the app won't allow me to access that portion so I can't accept the agreement. By the time it becomes relevant to my cruises they "should" have it working but that doesn't help folks with cruises that depart fairly soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Yep. That was explicitly stated. It has to be accepted, it has to be accepted from within the app, and it has to be accepted by the passenger - it can't be done for them by their TA. In my case, those strictures don't really bother me except for the fact that the app won't allow me to access that portion so I can't accept the agreement. By the time it becomes relevant to my cruises they "should" have it working but that doesn't help folks with cruises that depart fairly soon.

What's funny is that the app accepted for me.  Both boxes were already checked and grayed out the first time these fields appeared in the app for me.  Somehow I don't think this is what their lawyers intended when they asked to have passengers acknowledge the new terms.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2021 at 10:00 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I got the same message and mine is NOT that old.  It still works fine and do9es everything I need it to do.  Bring back the Personalizer and don't force people into something they don't want

• Like 4

11 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

What's funny is that the app accepted for me.  Both boxes were already checked and grayed out the first time these fields appeared in the app for me.  Somehow I don't think this is what their lawyers intended when they asked to have passengers acknowledge the new terms.

This was the same for me on the app. completed   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

I got the same message and mine is NOT that old.  It still works fine and do9es everything I need it to do.  Bring back the Personalizer and don't force people into something they don't want

From your lips to Princess’s ears!  Agree with you 200%!

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 11:52 AM, billco said:

I agree. I prefer NCL to Princess. Problem is I kept booking Princess all these years,because of the perks. Military OBC, Stockholder OBC, Elite perks, etc. Also, I have $21,000 in FCCs I opted for the cruises that were cancelled and $3000 in Gift Cards. I've applied all that to five future cruises and once those are out of the way, I'll consider your advice.

We don't have a lot of benefits on Princess but do on a couple of other cruise lines.  We were very impressed when MSC came to the US market and was willing to match anybody's benefits from another cruiseline for the first cruise with them.  Then, if you continued to cruise with them I believe at least every other year you kept those benefits.

On 6/10/2021 at 8:00 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

This is not true that you can use any phone.  The android phones have to have an operating system of 8.0 or higher and the i-phones have to have an operating system of 10.0 or higher so basically you need to have purchased a phone within the last two or three years.  I also got the incompatible message when trying to download to my 3 year old phone that works for everything else.  It unfortunately only has a 6.0.1 android operating system.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

I just now did that...Princess.com...clicked on get the app in PlayStore...clicked on install and got "This Google account is not yet associated with a device. Please access the Play Store app on your device before installing apps.". So, now what? Is there a step that I missed?

To use the Google Play store you have to set up a gmail account on your phone.

It's pretty obvious to me that since Princess has made a special line to check in for people without a smart phone they have a work around for this too. If they planned to deny you boarding for not submitting a form via an app then they wouldn't need a special line to check in for us.

27 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

It's pretty obvious to me that since Princess has made a special line to check in for people without a smart phone they have a work around for this too. If they planned to deny you boarding for not submitting a form via an app then they wouldn't need a special line to check in for us.

Where did you see info about a special line?