Anyway to register without downloading the Medallion app?

Jemnibabe

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess said they are doing this to lessen the workload of the TAs. The more the client does, the less the TA has to.

Like the grocery stores with the self-service checkout lines. The more checkout work you do yourself, the less the store employees need to do for you.

Actually, my TA hates this new plan and it's causing her much more work and anxiety.  We just need the Personalizer back to fill in the basic info and stop this mandatory insanity.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dog said:

so Princess cares how much less work TA does

and

could care less about the anxiety, confusion, delays, work this new process is causing for potential customers?

In the fantasy world presented on the webinar, all is perfect and enhances the customer experience while allowing TAs more time to sell more cruises.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

Actually, my TA hates this new plan and it's causing her much more work and anxiety.  We just need the Personalizer back to fill in the basic info and stop this mandatory insanity.

Agree.   

12 minutes ago, caribill said:

In the fantasy world presented on the webinar, all is perfect and enhances the customer experience while allowing TAs more time to sell more cruises.

They better start listening. Once FCC are used up there are other cruise lines with less hassle. 

• Like 3

I don't own a smart phone. I do everything internet-related on a desktop computer, and I'm happy with that. Until now, I've always been able to use that computer, along with my scanner and printer, to print out every single cruise-related document that's ever been required on any of the eight or nine lines I've cruised on.

I have a very short (4 night) California Coastal cruise booked on the Majestic Princess for this October. If I understand what people on this thread are saying, in order to go on this cruise I'll have to buy a smart phone or some similar device, at a cost of hundreds of dollars (maybe over a thousand if you include mandatory data plans and all that that), and I'll take the damn thing home from the phone store and I still won't have a clue on how to install the app. If Princess doesn't change this policy by the final payment date, I'm inclined to say "Take this cruise and shove it. Keep the FCC I used to book it and drop me from your mailing list forever. I'll take my cruise business back to HAL, Oceania, and Silversea, none of which force me to buy an expensive smart phone (and learn how to use it) just to get on the ship.

• Like 10

Our cruise takes place at the end of August.    A few days ago in the midst of trying to sort through through this mess I was worried about dinner reservations....Ha!   Now I fear for a smooth embarkation and cruise.   

Princess better get their IT department together fast and fix this app and issue a big apology out to their customers for their patience!   If they continue to place all their eggs in one basket with this app with all its flaws,  it could be an unpleasant cruise experience for everyone.

• Like 2

App still crashes when I try to open it on my Iphone and Ipad...not going to spend $1500 to buy the latest version of either just so I can sail on Princess...I am ready to find a new cruise line ASAP!!!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

App still crashes when I try to open it on my Iphone and Ipad...not going to spend $1500 to buy the latest version of either just so I can sail on Princess...I am ready to find a new cruise line ASAP!!!

We’ve already booked our backup plan B cruise with Celebrity just in case this one gets too stressful and frustrating.  Everything pertaining to our sailing is available online to peruse.  They send an email when your docs are ready to print out.  Easy peasy!  I’ll give it a couple of weeks to see if Princess fixes this debacle.  If not, we’re done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Condocat said:

Our cruise takes place at the end of August.    A few days ago in the midst of trying to sort through through this mess I was worried about dinner reservations....Ha!   Now I fear for a smooth embarkation and cruise.   

Princess better get their IT department together fast and fix this app and issue a big apology out to their customers for their patience!   If they continue to place all their eggs in one basket with this app with all its flaws,  it could be an unpleasant cruise experience for everyone.

Now I'm glad my 11/6/21 cruise on the Caribbean was cancelled!  My next Princess cruise is not until next April so, hopefully, things will have been smoothed out.  And I just may buy the necessary smart phone 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

We’ve already booked our backup plan B cruise with Celebrity just in case this one gets too stressful and frustrating.  Everything pertaining to our sailing is available online to peruse.  They send an email when your docs are ready to print out.  Easy peasy!  I’ll give it a couple of weeks to see if Princess fixes this debacle.  If not, we’re done.

This is where I’m at, everything was fine as it was and it should have remained that way, should passengers who prefer to use an app then give them an option to transfer all their information and bookings across to one. Our cruise is 111 days away and maybe it will all be sorted by then, but by now I’d normally have all my personaliser filled in, printed off and nothing more to worry about. I can’t recall at any point in my varied cruise history thinking that my experience was lacking an app.

• Like 4

Reading the posts above shows the frustration and anger this topic has lead to. 
Princess does read cruise critic, their Facebook, Instagram comments and eventually responds to some emails.  

No one from the cruiseline that I am aware of has said to go buy a smart phone etc.
Please let us know if that was

said. 

There has to be thousands of passengers from many different countries who will not be as informed about this new pre cruise check in procedure as those of us who read these boards. 

I am not aware of anyone getting an urgent message from Princess to get on the app since they cruise in the next couple of months. 

It is only reasonable to be able to do the check in & print the boarding pass online like in the past. 

if I was totally stressed about these changes I would cancel the cruise. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dog said:

Princess does read cruise critic, their Facebook, Instagram comments and eventually responds to some emails.  

No one from the cruiseline that I am aware of has said to go buy a smart phone etc.

said. 

There has to be thousands of passengers from many different countries who will not be as informed about this new pre cruise check in procedure as those of us who read these boards. 

I am not aware of anyone getting an urgent message from Princess to get on the app since they cruise in the next couple of months. 

It is only reasonable to be able to do the check in & print the boarding pass online like in the past. 

Nope, didn't tell us to go buy a smart phone but they did say to "go get your grandchild to help you."  Sorry, I have none and I'm guessing that a big majority of the cruisers on Princess are not into the new techie stuff.  Just give us the Personalizer to fill out and print and let those who want to mess with the app, have at it.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, dog said:

said. 

The option to view and print out your boarding pass has been removed from the cruise personalizer.  It states very clearly to download the app.   No options are offered.  I’m very happy to hear that everything on your end is working out hunky dory, but that’s not the case for a lot of folks right now.  And, yes, there is a very strong possibility that I and others will cancel our Princess cruises and move onto other lines that offer a more user friendly experience.  I also doubt if anyone has, or ever will,  receive “an urgent message from Princess” regarding anything.  You are just as likely to hear it first hand here on Cruise Critic.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

The option to view and print out your boarding pass has been removed from the cruise personalizer.  It states very clearly to download the app.   No options are offered.  I’m very happy to hear that everything on your end is working out hunky dory, 

I can only speak to what I see as of right now.
At the top of my booking  it has a link to travel summary.

Takes me to a page that says print your travel summary.

The link works and the full travel summary shows up for printing. 

it does not say boarding pass 

my point above was saying they should Leave that option in the Personalizer. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

The option to view and print out your boarding pass has been removed from the cruise personalizer.  It states very clearly to download the app.   No options are offered.  I’m very happy to hear that everything on your end is working out hunky dory, but that’s not the case for a lot of folks right now.  And, yes, there is a very strong possibility that I and others will cancel our Princess cruises and move onto other lines that offer a more user friendly experience.  I also doubt if anyone has, or ever will,  receive “an urgent message from Princess” regarding anything.  You are just as likely to hear it first hand here on Cruise Critic.

I am very sorry my post annoys you. I try tone helpful 

For all of you folks so smart about all this technology, I am  not, just read another thread questioning the security of so much info on the app?  Does not give me much comfort at the idea of buying a smart phone just to use this system that could put my personal information at more risk??   Had a death in my family recently, scammers hacked thru a personal phone of decease to the surviving spouses email and have been trying to access personal financial accounts.  So the security question is a big one in my mind.  Glad I am not cruising till Jan 2022, hopefully this gets addressed properly by then. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dog said:

I am very sorry my post annoys you. I try tone helpful 

Absolutely not directed at you and I apologize if it came across that way!  My frustration is with Princess and I guess it’s just leaking out of all my conversations right now.  I’m sincerely happy you’re having an easier  time with all of this and I do wish you a wonderful cruise experience.  I think I’m just getting too old.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

I don't own a smart phone. I do everything internet-related on a desktop computer, and I'm happy with that. Until now, I've always been able to use that computer, along with my scanner and printer, to print out every single cruise-related document that's ever been required on any of the eight or nine lines I've cruised on.

I have a very short (4 night) California Coastal cruise booked on the Majestic Princess for this October. If I understand what people on this thread are saying, in order to go on this cruise I'll have to buy a smart phone or some similar device, at a cost of hundreds of dollars (maybe over a thousand if you include mandatory data plans and all that that), and I'll take the damn thing home from the phone store and I still won't have a clue on how to install the app. If Princess doesn't change this policy by the final payment date, I'm inclined to say "Take this cruise and shove it. Keep the FCC I used to book it and drop me from your mailing list forever. I'll take my cruise business back to HAL, Oceania, and Silversea, none of which force me to buy an expensive smart phone (and learn how to use it) just to get on the ship.

Actually you can use any WiFi enabled smartphone or tablet that still works.  You do not need it to function as a phone, you do not need a data plan.  Using WiFi download the app.  We use our retired î phones this way for streaming music and news via WiFi.  Will probably bring them On the cruise too.    So you don’t need to buy a new smartphone if you can have or borrow a friend’s retired phone.  However, I will admit you will probably need assistance getting familiar with the smartphone and with downloading the app. It is a learning curve with significant possible misdirections.  Good luck, I hope this works out for you. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dog said:

I can only speak to what I see as of right now.
At the top of my booking  it has a link to travel summary.

Takes me to a page that says print your travel summary.

The link works and the full travel summary shows up for printing. 

it does not say boarding pass 

my point above was saying they should Leave that option in the Personalizer. 

A week ago Tuesday we paid for our August cruise and I immediately downloaded our boarding passes and luggage tags.  A few days later they left only the travel summary as a printable item for now.  They pulled the luggage tags and I suspect that they are updating those since it still had the old $15 corkage price for wine.  At least I hope that is what it is and they aren't expecting everyone to check back shortly before the cruise from now on instead of 75 days before.  And the boarding pass shows as available through the MedallionClass app.  Now I know you had the "it's coming" language on your check in page in the Personalizer and I did not.  Maybe this is more of different people seeing different things?  Anyway this is what my documents screen looked like as of a couple of minutes ago:

image.thumb.png.b4d1dc9f4cdb3d0bbc665b0a58ba4324.png

Edited by azbirdmom

16 minutes ago, MMsteffey said:

Actually you can use any WiFi enabled smartphone or tablet that still works.  You do not need it to function as a phone, you do not need a data plan.  Using WiFi download the app.  We use our retired î phones this way for streaming music and news via WiFi.  Will probably bring them On the cruise too.    So you don’t need to buy a new smartphone if you can have or borrow a friend’s retired phone.  However, I will admit you will probably need assistance getting familiar with the smartphone and with downloading the app. It is a learning curve with significant possible misdirections.  Good luck, I hope this works out for you. 

This.

OK. I spoke too soon. I have 3 android devices that are all 3-5 years old. The app is not compatible with any of them according to Play Store. These are not way out of date devices - two are android cell phones that still work well and one is an Amazon Fire (android) tablet that is not quite 3 years old.

It looks like the app developers have not made the app compatible with any but the most current android releases?

Anyone have any info on that?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

A week ago Tuesday we paid for our August cruise and I immediately downloaded our boarding passes and luggage tags.  A few days later they left only the travel summary as a printable item for now.  They pulled the luggage tags and I suspect that they are updating those since it still had the old $15 corkage price for wine.  At least I hope that is what it is and they aren't expecting everyone to check back shortly before the cruise from now on instead of 75 days before.  And the boarding pass shows as available through the MedallionClass app.  Now I know you had the "it's coming" language on your check in page in the Personalizer and I did not.  Maybe this is more of different people seeing different things?  Anyway this is what my documents screen looked like as of a couple of minutes ago:

image.thumb.png.b4d1dc9f4cdb3d0bbc665b0a58ba4324.png

this is the same as mine right now. Travel summary can be printed from website. There is 
no boarding pass link like it use to be; 

hope they put that function back on the website. 

54 minutes ago, Croooser said:

It looks like the app developers have not made the app compatible with any but the most current android releases?

Anyone have any info on that?

The app download page says Android 8 and up:

image.png.d8078f5a38a17d0d95c9c6612895731f.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carnival.gxi.ocean.compass.medallionclass

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just got off the phone with my personal cruise planner and she said..........................There will be a separate line for those who don't have a smart phone and haven't used the app.  She said it might take a little longer to do at the pier. I told her I think it will be the shortest line at the pier!!!!! She said then there will be the old cruise card available.

• Like 1