Mini bottles of liquor and buckets of beer

Therese S.

On 6/9/2021 at 9:41 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

I hope so. A bottle in our cabin is really the only drinking we do onboard. We never go to the bars for a variety of reasons, one main one is we enjoy pre-dinner drinks on our balcony. For us, morning coffee and evening drinks on the balcony is THE cruise experience! If Princess stops offering alcohol for cabin delivery, even at their very high prices, I might be forced to do what I did many years ago; and I'd rather not do that; too much hassle!😳

Lol I know exactly what you’re referring to.  Once I discovered you could pre-purchase spirits before boarding I stopped the bad habits and packed away my “stuff” and don’t want to revert back to my old habits and yes to much hassle.  

Yes, this does sound very frustrating!

I believe that Princess has been working hard at all of their IT stuff.  And, there have been problems!

Maybe we all need to have a lot of patience right now.

Are you looking at your cruise coming Jan. 22?

If so, they should be able to get this ironed out.

It looks like they are not purposefully discontinuing this service.

I don't think they would do that, if they are able to make any money off it!!!

Right now, I would just be happy to think that I were going to be able to sail again anytime soon!   Hoping for an itinerary late this year.

Not too worried about the alcohol at all at this point!

Edited by Wishing on a star

11 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I think you and I have discussed scotch before on the Princess forum here! I totally agree on your rating of Cutty Sark and JWR. Yuck! And I do the same when we have the Princess beverage package; pick something good up at a bar during the day, take back to the cabin, pour into a RumRunner for later. I've even done that when I get thirsty for a martini! I do have to ask the barkeep to make it shaken without ice and poured into an Old Fashioned glass. I brinkg a small SS shaker and a supply of queen olives when we board.

I don't even bother to put it in a Rum Runner. I just set the glass in a drawer and close the drawer. As for Martinis... I drink the Chairman of the Board so get a twist. An olive just doesn't work well at all with that one! I too often get mine in a different glass but that's so I can carry it to the theater without spilling. I don't know how in the world the servers manage to carry those things around in a martini glass without slopping them everywhere! I did have a server in the theater thank me for ordering my Chairman of the Board in a rocks glass. He said it's sooooooooo much easier to carry and wished more people would do that. (I also always order my 24K Gold Margarita in a rocks glass. Servers usually try to tell me it's "smaller" but it's not. I get the same amount of stuff in a glass that's not their stupid Margarita glass. I always order it on the rocks with no salt.)

Edited by Thrak

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

I don't even bother to put it in a Rum Runner. I just set the glass in a drawer and close the drawer. As for Martinis... I drink the Chairman of the Board so get a twist. An olive just doesn't work well at all with that one! I too often get mine in a different glass but that's so I can carry it to the theater without spilling. I don't know how in the world the servers manage to carry those things around in a martini glass without slopping them everywhere! I did have a server in the theater thank me for ordering my Chairman of the Board in a rocks glass. He said it's sooooooooo much easier to carry and wished more people would do that. (I also always order my 24K Gold Margarita in a rocks glass. Servers usually try to tell me it's "smaller" but it's not. I get the same amount of stuff in a glass that's not their stupid Margarita glass. I always order it on the rocks with no salt.)

I too always marvel at the talents of the drink and food servers. In my college days 120,450 years years ago, I was a bus boy and later a bartender at a swanky country club (in Ojai, CA). So I can appreciate their skills! I enjoyed that job, served many movie/TV celebs of the day and worked in a beautiful setting. And man, those rich folks were great tippers!😉 I try to continue that when we cruise, although as I said earlier, we rarely drink in bars.

PS - I nearly always bring an empty RumRunner onboard as it's useful should I have any scotch or gin left over from our pre-cabin delivery at the end of a cruise. That rarely happens on Princess with their micro-bottles, but more often on Carnival and HAL with their larger bottles. The empty RRs take up zero room in the carry on.

Doug

• 1 month later...

Just checked about pre-ordering those small bottles for cabin delivery/comsumption. I am one of those who has not been able to do on online with my PC. I use the Firefox browser until I suspect the site might only work with another browser. I tried Internet Explorer today; I could not even log onto Princess.com. With Firefox I could log on to Princess.com and see the wine listings, but still not the spirits.

I will keep checking from time to time. I still need to also get an internet package prior to our February 2022 cruise. Eventually if I continue to be unsuccessful with Princess.com and/or the MC phone app, I will resort to calling customer service and ask that they make the purchases for me.

Doug

9 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Just checked about pre-ordering those small bottles for cabin delivery/comsumption. I am one of those who has not been able to do on online with my PC. I use the Firefox browser until I suspect the site might only work with another browser. I tried Internet Explorer today; I could not even log onto Princess.com. With Firefox I could log on to Princess.com and see the wine listings, but still not the spirits.

I will keep checking from time to time. I still need to also get an internet package prior to our February 2022 cruise. Eventually if I continue to be unsuccessful with Princess.com and/or the MC phone app, I will resort to calling customer service and ask that they make the purchases for me.

Doug

and yet, I just logged on, IE, HP desktop, no problem and saw both wine and spirits - November cruise, NOT paid in full yet

Could the difference in being able to see the liquor in addition to the wine be whether or not the passenger has purchased Princess Plus?  We have the Plus fare and I do not see the anything other than the wine list for purchase.

Also, with the new medallion wouldn't you be able to order drinks right to your cabin?  I am hoping for that for our Alaska cruise next summer.  With the Plus fare at only $40 per day and $15 of that applied to gratuities, the $25 is cheap even for a light drinker.  

2 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Also, with the new medallion wouldn't you be able to order drinks right to your cabin?

Princess Plus fare does NOT include drinks delivered to your cabin, sorry - also not included are cans of soda ( fountain only ) or buckets of beer - along with other restrictions

10 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Princess Plus fare does NOT include drinks delivered to your cabin, sorry - also not included are cans of soda ( fountain only ) or buckets of beer - along with other restrictions

Where did you find this information on no delivery to the cabin.  I see it doesn't include the mini bar, canned soda etc.  However on there medallion information:

With OceanNow™, you can enjoy personalized service on demand and food and drink orders that find you. Ordering a drink has never been easier. Open OceanNow, place your order, then sit back and relax and a crew member finds you. Request service throughout the ship. Your Medallion™ tells crew members your exact location and sends them directly to you. Real time updates. Once you put in a request, the app finds the nearest available crew member. You'll be updated on which crew member is on their way and how soon they'll arrive.

8 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Where did you find this information on no delivery to the cabin.  I see it doesn't include the mini bar, canned soda etc.  However on there medallion information:

With OceanNow™, you can enjoy personalized service on demand and food and drink orders that find you. Ordering a drink has never been easier. Open OceanNow, place your order, then sit back and relax and a crew member finds you. Request service throughout the ship. Your Medallion™ tells crew members your exact location and sends them directly to you. Real time updates. Once you put in a request, the app finds the nearest available crew member. You'll be updated on which crew member is on their way and how soon they'll arrive.

huh ... maybe I'm not correct about the room service after all - I was referring to pre-'rona - maybe that has changed

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

and yet, I just logged on, IE, HP desktop, no problem and saw both wine and spirits - November cruise, NOT paid in full yet

Our cruise is later, assuming yours is November 2021. Ours is February 2022.  Also not paid the final payment yet.

I decided to try again, this time using Firefox, IE <old version>, and Edge. Results:

Firefox
Login Princess.com
 Booked cruises <mine is end of February 2022>
  Select cruise
    Onboard Activities
      Princess Cellars
        I see a List of about 25 wines. No spirits. At the bottom is listed my reservations and Purchases.

IE
Tried to Login Princess.com; simply clears my entries and presents the login screen again. Now I do have an old version of IE as I have a home security program that only works with that version of IE. I cannot download a newer version of IE for that reason. I may later try running a newer version of IE on another PC. Not a big priority.

MS Edge
Login Princess.com
 Booked cruises <mine is end of February 2022>
  Select cruise
    Onboard Activities
      Princess Cellars
        I see a List of about 25 wines. No spirits. At the bottom is listed my reservations and Purchases.

Really strange. There must be a reason it works for you but not for me (and others). But then the Princess Medallion App is having many problems also, and they are possibly both related to something on the Princess server. Who knows.......

Doug

3 hours ago, davemorton said:

I have the Plus fare, but am able to see the spirits. 

....and I do not have the Plus fare, and I cannot see the spirits.....that seems backwards, doesn't it?🤔 I mean, if I have the Plus fare I'd be far less likely to want a bottle sent to my cabin!

At this rate I'm thinking maybe I ought to get the Plus fare, but I booked NOT using that option many, many months ago. I don't even know if I can re-fare the cruise at this point.

Doug

• Like 1

2 hours ago, franktown said:

Spirits are available on my November cruise but not yet available on our February cruise.  Have Princess Plus on both cruises.

Ah, maybe we are getting to something here...........I cannot see the spirits section and my 28 February cruise is nearly 7 months away from sailing from San Pedro. Maybe the difference in sail date explains why some can, and some cannot see the spirits?

Doug

1 hour ago, Dar & Bob said:

That quote refers only to the OceanNow Medallion app feature; not the Beverage Plan. Princess has always excluded "free" delivery of drinks with the Beverage Plans to your cabin as far as I know. IOW, if you order drinks delivered to your cabin, you will pay just as if you did not have the Beverage Plan; but you do get to use the Medallion App <whoopie!>. I am not sure about delivery elsewhere with the Beverage Plan, like the pool deck, etc. If I am wrong someone please correct me, I don't want to be putting out bad info.

Doug

3 hours ago, franktown said:

Spirits are available on my November cruise but not yet available on our February cruise.  Have Princess Plus on both cruises.

Available on 8/15/21 & 12/9/21 cruises but not on 2022 & 2023 cruises. 

3 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Princess has always excluded "free" delivery of drinks with the Beverage Plans to your cabin as far as I know.

pre-'rona

I looked at the Terms and Conditions - briefly - and did NOT see anywhere that specifically excluded room service for the Beverage Plan

I could have missed it - maybe others will check also and do a cut and paste

Just now, Ombud said:

Available on 8/15/21 & 12/9/21 cruises but not on 2022 & 2023 cruises. 

Thanks. This is starting to make sense. Too bad Princess hasn't programmed something telling us when we can perform certain functions. This "spirits" issue is just one. I think a lot of issues we passengers are having are related to the time until our sail date. Instead, we just can't see what some other folks are seeing. Frustration.

Doug

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

pre-'rona

I looked at the Terms and Conditions - briefly - and did NOT see anywhere that specifically excluded room service for the Beverage Plan

I could have missed it - maybe others will check also and do a cut and paste

Well, I hope it's "allowed" with the Beverage Plan and Princess Plus, that would be a very nice thing IMO.

Doug

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Well, I hope it's "allowed" with the Beverage Plan and Princess Plus, that would be a very nice thing IMO.

Doug

Perhaps we can get clarification from the folks who sailed today.

The video was taken down as it contained too much personal information but it was briefly posted in the Live From thread for the cruise that sails today. The video contained a segment where a crew member was verifying that one can have drinks delivered to the cabin with the Medallion Class App and the Premium Beverage Package. It's an included service just like having drinks delivered anywhere else on the ship. Nice change. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I will keep checking from time to time.  Eventually if I continue to be unsuccessful with Princess.com and/or the MC phone app, I will resort to calling customer service and ask that they make the purchases for me.

Outside of paying for it in advance there is no benefit to ordering it before you get on board. The price for the alcohol beverage bottles is the same pre-cruise and on board. In addition, if you did pre-order, you still have to call room service once on the ship to have it delivered