Question for Unvax'd who have July/August/Sept Carnival cruises booked...

2 hours ago, Flytko said:

Anyway, that's my story to share since the unvaccinated voice seems to be in the vocal minority.

Thank you for your story and I don't blame you at all and you hit on THE problem.  The people who are validly hesitant are being completely blasted on sites like this and being censored on any other platform out there.  All the news coming out in the last week SHOULD make everyone question the honesty and motives of the people who hold the key to the information at this point.

I'm certainly not saying people shouldn't get the vax, it's completely their own choice but the public should have all the actual data presented in an unbiased way.  I personally don't believe we have that.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Children don't need the vaccine.  Almost any healthy person under 40 doesn't need the vaccine.  I worry about non-vaccinated elderly people on cruises, that if they do get covid, could rapidly decline.  That's a problem that could affect the entire cruise.  And there are alot of elderly people not getting the vaccine.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bdever said:

While I completely understand and respect ✊🏼 your personal choice it doesn’t sound like a cruise vacation is right for you. At least not for the foreseeable future. Not only from the perspective of the cruise lines needing to mitigate risks but also in terms of your own family’s vacation value. Did you hear about 2 positive cases reported on MSC Seaside this week? The 2 passengers, their families and the other passengers who came into contact with them while on board were all isolated and the positive passengers and their families were taken off the ship at the next port. Note that this was their 3rd COVID test of the cruise so it’s not about testing negative prior to boarding. This could have been you and your family as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7627317002

Thanks for the input.

Though, I have looked at MSC's protocols, and they are not much different to what Carnival is proposing, except I didn't see MSC with a vaccine requirement.  This is for Europe as they are still working on the protocols for the US.  They restarted in August last year and were able to keep cases to a minimum.  I can see that working here, but unfortunately this is really the CDC we are fighting and not the Cruise lines. 

Of the article referenced above, they were able to offload the cases without disruption of the whole cruise.  I know that would suck if I were that family, but that is a risk you take while traveling.  That could even happen in a non-COVID ridden world with any sort of injury or surprise illness.  That is why we always purchase the travel insurance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Flytko said:

Thanks for the input.

Though, I have looked at MSC's protocols, and they are not much different to what Carnival is proposing, except I didn't see MSC with a vaccine requirement.  This is for Europe as they are still working on the protocols for the US.  They restarted in August last year and were able to keep cases to a minimum.  I can see that working here, but unfortunately this is really the CDC we are fighting and not the Cruise lines. 

Of the article referenced above, they were able to offload the cases without disruption of the whole cruise.  I know that would suck if I were that family, but that is a risk you take while traveling.  That could even happen in a non-COVID ridden world with any sort of injury or surprise illness.  That is why we always purchase the travel insurance.

Yes, no vaccine requirement on MSC. No disruption except for those unfortunate individuals that the infected came into contact with that had to be isolated and tested as well. Will you be able to secure travel insurance for a cruise when you elect not to get a vaccine????? I would think 🤔 insurance companies wouldn’t pay out on travel expenses incurred due to COVID-19 if one was not vaccinated. Interesting!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, yerdsyerds said:

Carnival just released news on August sailings, and they WILL be requiring guests to be vaccinated.  At least as of 15 minutes ago...

I didn't see anything in the press release that stated August would be Vaccinated.

30 minutes ago, yerdsyerds said:

Carnival just released news on August sailings, and they WILL be requiring guests to be vaccinated.  At least as of 15 minutes ago...

Can you post the link as it relates to vaccination? Thanks 🙏🏻 

MSC cruise ship Seaside sailing in the Med had 2 cruisers test positive for Covid. The 2 are not traveling together. This was reported yesterday.

Immediately after testing positive, the two passengers and their traveling parties were isolated," Rosenthal said. "Similarly, their close contacts were quickly identified and isolated." After getting off the ship, the two passengers and accompanying parties were taken home by "protected MSC Cruises transport" in coordination with local health authorities.  The got off in Siracusa, Italy. Malta their next pot would not let them dock. MSC does not require vaccinations. Will this impact US sailings?  

4 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

I wish I shared your optimism for sanity prevailing.  Even on these forums there are folks with the car gassed up and ready to peal out of the driveway to the nearest CVS to inject their kids so they can go on their cruise the moment it gets approved for under 12.

I can't imagine the guilt one might feel if their kid gets hospitalized for myocarditis and they missed their cruise anyway...

Both of my teens got them the first day it was available. Both fully vaccinated now. No issues beyond normal side effects of sore arm. Not conjecture or speculation, just a fact. Over the counter pain meds, pools, driving etc etc etc etc etc are all more dangerous than a covid vaccine. Statistics over sensationalism. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bdever said:

3 hours ago, bdever said:

It’s in the bottom of the graphics they posted on Facebook 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 12:55 PM, sm3ds said:

The nation does not just consist of adults. Only 6% of children 12-15 have been fully vaccinated. The younger the child the more hesitant parents will be. 

This board does not represent the view of the whole population. Only about 15 million Americans cruise every year and that was when times were good.

Cruise lines have designed all their new ships for family's not for old people. They were counting on the family market. Maybe they can get the old people to play laser tag, bumper cars and ride the rollercoaster. I don't know, but I'm guessing they prefer the smaller ships. 

It will be interesting to see how Disney handles this, but it doesn't appear they are in any hurry to jump into the fire. They'll sit back and watch all the other cruise lines make fools of themselves.  

The vaccination rate currently is at 42%. Some of the states cruises embark from are sitting in the low 30's, Vaccine centers are being shut down due to lack of demand. Every place where I live is walk in and they are empty. 

As far as the fragility of the cruise industry that's not my problem. My life has been fine over the last year without cruises. I enjoy cruises and I'd like to go on one again someday, but it's not the end of the world if the cruise lines don't survive.  

I’m glad you’re fine but in a few months we’ll see you’re off track here. You may think the cruise lines are making fools of themselves and ho ahead and say the same of me but I don’t think so.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 12:53 PM, dallasdan said:

I am booked on a 4 day cruise out of Galveston at the end of August.  I am hesitant to get the vaccine because I don't do well with medication and have some allergies.  So I am in a waiting pattern.  If required to cruise I will get the J&J shot.  My hope is by then it will not be required.  I wouldn't want to take a chance on the 5%.

We are also on a four-day in September. Both my wife and I have had Covid and have anti-bodies. I am vaccinated but, due to allergy reasons, her doctor does not want her to get the vaccine. She can get proof of having anti-bodies but I haven't seen the situation of those who have recovered from Covid-19 addressed by any cruise line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

We are also on a four-day in September. Both my wife and I have had Covid and have anti-bodies. I am vaccinated but, due to allergy reasons, her doctor does not want her to get the vaccine. She can get proof of having anti-bodies but I haven't seen the situation of those who have recovered from Covid-19 addressed by any cruise line.

Unfortunately they won't.  It doesn't fit the agenda of pushing vaccines to anyone and everyone, regardless of safety.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Unfortunately they won't.  It doesn't fit the agenda of pushing vaccines to anyone and everyone, regardless of safety.

Yeah, I agree. Her doctor says that there is no reason for her to get vaccinated. I was told the same thing and went ahead and did it anyway just to avoid travel issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

Yeah, I agree. Her doctor says that there is no reason for her to get vaccinated. I was told the same thing and went ahead and did it anyway just to avoid travel issues.

My wife and I both had the virus and I ended up getting the Pfizer vax.  The only reason I did it was because I work at a nursing home in management and cannot afford to be quarantined if exposed.  My wife is debating the J&J shot and will probably do it for her job as well.

These vax vs non-vax debates are getting old and very tiresome  The long and short of it is that the vaccines are not risk free.  Neither is Covid if you get Covid.  Even a 0.05 percent chance of an adverse reactions sucks if you end up on the wrong side of that statistic.  And we know people are ending up on the wrong side of that statistic whether it is clotting issues (as documented in several medical journals with both the J and J and Astra Zeneca vaccines), menstrual disruptions (like myself and many other women have experienced with the Moderna vaccine and as is now being studied due to the prevalence of women reporting it as a side effect), or something else.  The vaccine is NOT risk free.  It is an individual risk vs benefit decision for every person out there to weigh.  If you decide that in your case, the risk of a side effect from the vaccine is greater than the risk of possibly getting Covid and possibly having a serious side effect from the vaccine, then you have every right to not get it.  But, with that said, you have to realize the cruise industry has to do what they have to do to get sailing and, right now, the only reasonable thing to do in light of the CDC regulations and the risk of a possible shut down or further extension of the CDC order in the event of an outbreak appears to be to restrict most unvaccinated people from sailing.  I am sure that CCL has considered all options and determined this is what it is best for them. It is what it is. It likely won't be that way permanently.  So either deal with the consequences of not getting vaccinated or deal with the possible consequences of getting vaccinated. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Eli_6 said:

What are you defining as a child?  Under 18? Under 12? Under 10? Because the stats I have seen reported in medical journals on actual children (not teens or pre-teens) is much lower than that. Like single digits low.

I just took a 2nd look. I counted incorrectly. It's 178. Looks like 109 for up to age 13. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7003e1.htm

This was originally published on January 13. Obviously the totals are higher today. My point still stands, 3m3ds is uninformed or intentionally lying. Cuz feedumbs or something.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

I've read through most of the posts, but didn't see anyone mentioning the "law" that Gov. passed in Florida making it illegal for any company to even ask if their customers had been vaccinated?  The last I heard he was threatening to fine cruise lines substantial fines for each passenger that they required show they were vaccinated.

I don't want to turn this into a Republican vs. Democrat issue, but I still don't understand why anyone would think that interfering in a private company's operation is okay.  I thought Republicans were all about small government. 

I was thrilled to get my email from CCL advising that my Mardi Gras August cruise is on and advised that passengers would have to be vaccinated.  I think the Governor is going to have to back down on requiring cruise lines to obey his "law", but we shall see.  Cruise Lines have to follow CDC guidelines so if he actually fines them, Florida will lose a lot of business as Cruise Lines pull their ships and sail from other ports.

My understanding (and I could be wrong as I have not read on it extensively) is that the state of Florida is basically challenging the CDC on their regulations arguing that they don't have the power and/or their regulations are unreasonable. It seems like the cruise lines and us cruisers are stuck in the middle.

47 minutes ago, bgrmini said:

I just took a 2nd look. I counted incorrectly. It's 178. Looks like 109 for up to age 13. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7003e1.htm

This was originally published on January 13. Obviously the totals are higher today. My point still stands, 3m3ds is uninformed or intentionally lying. Cuz feedumbs or something.

When you "counted incorrectly", no big deal.

But when another poster does it, its misinformation or lying?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eli_6 said:

My understanding (and I could be wrong as I have not read on it extensively) is that the state of Florida is basically challenging the CDC on their regulations arguing that they don't have the power and/or their regulations are unreasonable. It seems like the cruise lines and us cruisers are stuck in the middle.

The CDC has stated that they will not relax their guidelines for cruises to restart, and Governor DeSantis earlier this month said that the fine is $5000 per violation.  He specifically stated that this applies to cruise lines and if they violate it, they will pay.  How could any cruise line pay $5000 for each passenger??  I am just really curious as to who blinks first.

5 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

The CDC gave Carnival a Hobson's choice to either:

1. Mandate vaccination

or

2. Operate a "prison colony at sea" and incur a bunch of other expenses and uncertainty that amount to a huge financial penalty

Carnival said it preferred NOT to mandate vaccinations but its hands were tied between this mandate and a non-viable business offered in #2.

Florida is effectively doing the same but in reverse:

1. Don't mandate vaccination

or

2.  Pay a huge financial penalty

Since Carnival has publicly stated it prefers Florida Option #1, who is really interfering in the free market?

It seems that Florida wants the CDC to take the hit, rather than the cruise lines i.e. require vaccination (and explain why cruises have different rules than anything else), if that's what they want for international travel.

The CDC is instead forcing onerous rules on unvaccinated cruising, while not actually forcing an unapproved vaccine. It's still coercion though, just not in writing.

They're forcing vaccination, and letting the cruise lines and the states take the blame for anyone getting vaccinated just to cruise.

It makes the governor (s) and cruise lines the bad guys, when it's the CDC calling all the shots.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

The CDC has stated that they will not relax their guidelines for cruises to restart, and Governor DeSantis earlier this month said that the fine is $5000 per violation.  He specifically stated that this applies to cruise lines and if they violate it, they will pay.  How could any cruise line pay $5000 for each passenger??  I am just really curious as to who blinks first.

Carnival may have figured out a way to sail with vaccinated passengers.  Or, they are bluffing and are flushing out all of the unvaccinated passengers making them think that's the way they will sail that by the time the cruises get here, everyone left will be vaccinated.

Carnival can claim they are doing vaccinated only cruises so that everyone else will cancel.  Then, at the last minute, they can say that they aren't legally able to enforce it.

Edited by TNcruising02