Notice of Data Breach but not sure which Carnival cruise line

Carnevale

Earlier this week I received a strange letter that didn't identify the sender but, from phoning them I was told it is a 3rd party company called Cruise Line Data Security Events Center in Florida (but I could not get the call agent to confirm the company name when I asked her to do so twice - I am only going by what was said on the recorded answer to my call).  As the letter was lacking in details I was only able to discover that the breach of my data came from a Carnival cruise line by phoning however, the person on the phone said she couldn't tell me which cruise line and that someone would call me back (hasn't happened yet).  We've sailed with Princess (most recent bookings in the Carnival family hence my post here) but a few years back we sailed several times with HAL and Cunard which are also in the Carnival group.

The letter raised all kinds of red flags not only due to the fact of the breach, but also due to the fact I can't tell from the correspondence who sent it, which cruise line was involved, when the breach took place, what data was exposed, or how the breach was dealt with.  The letter gives me a web address and cyber monitoring subscription code to apply for 1 year of credit monitoring but I'm concerned about going to this web link as the letter is so unusual that it feels like this may be spam (the letter tells me I have to enter personal info in order to access the free credit monitoring).

If anyone else has received this letter and can help shine some light on it I'd really appreciate it.  Is this letter with its web address legit?  Is there any way of finding out more about the data breach?  Thanks in advance!

@Carnevalethank you for alerting us to a potential scam. 

Im a little concerned that it arrived via mail, couldn't identify which branch, and the telephone line was non-committal / perhaps not even a CC#. Not cost effective but I guess they could get some (suckers) to fill in the blanks. Kind of like SSA telling me that they are going to stop my payments due to an overpayment  -- I'm not collecting yet. Or that I forgot to send enough to cover my annual payment -- I'm retired. Yes I've gotten & mostly ignored those letters. I just give them to our Postmaster 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@Carnevalethank you for alerting us to a potential scam. 

Im a little concerned that it arrived via mail, couldn't identify which branch, and the telephone line was non-committal / perhaps not even a CC#. Not cost effective but I guess they could get some (suckers) to fill in the blanks. Kind of like SSA telling me that they are going to stop my payments due to an overpayment  -- I'm not collecting yet. Or that I forgot to send enough to cover my annual payment -- I'm retired. Yes I've gotten & mostly ignored those letters. I just give them to our Postmaster 

But, but, but... What about my Student Loan being approved or my Extended Car Warranty, or the Suspicious $700 charge to Amazon, or my inquiry about Social Security Benefits, or my Amazon Prime subscription being suddenly "renewed", or...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

But, but, but... What about my Student Loan being approved or my Extended Car Warranty, or the Suspicious $700 charge to Amazon, or my inquiry about Social Security Benefits, or my Amazon Prime subscription being suddenly "renewed", or...

Or my favorite - "Your facebook password has been hacked"  I don't have a facebook account

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

Or my favorite - "Your facebook password has been hacked"  I don't have a facebook account

Oh yeah. Forgot about that one. I don't have a FB account either.  I also love the one saying my Verizon account has been compromised and has been locked. They send this via the supposedly locked Verizon account...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, memoak said:

😅🤣😂

Or my Amazon account is compromised.  No Amazon account

Edited by Ombud

39 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You left out the call that I got that the FDA or maybe the FDIC (I forget which) has a warrant out for my arrest.

DON

On 6/9/2021 at 1:24 PM, Carnevale said:

Earlier this week I received a strange letter that didn't identify the sender but, from phoning them I was told it is a 3rd party company called Cruise Line Data Security Events Center in Florida

Even Mr. Google cannot locate a company with that name.

Look what I get today!! So now scams arrive via mail, those boiler rooms must be experiencing social distancing.  Makes one wonder what country they are in. FWIW I have no home warranty

20210611_084631.thumb.jpg.0041bda5089bb20f58cd2f2d606d9569.jpg

I assume you are referring to a letter sent via the US Postal Service. I would take the letter including the envelope to the Post Office and speak to the postmaster. Let the postal inspectors deal with it. Using the postal service for fraud is a federal crime. You can read more about the postal inspectors at https://www.uspis.gov/ .

• Like 1

I unfortunately opened this one. It says my mortgage is with CCFCU so I'm notifying them (just not through the phone number on the letter). I paid off my mortgage almost 20 yrs ago so it was probably just a lucky guess on the scammers part

(Wanted all debts pd off before separating service)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1