Dining with Ship Officer

Oxo

12 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Agree--  

Although when we read some of the posts it appears ( ?? ) as if the writer is bragging about how often they are invited and what an " honor " it is.

If they enjoy it and feel " honored " , good for them and why should it bother anyone else.   

LOL-- We've been on over 40 cruises , never invited to dine with a Sr Officer , could care less about it--- and enjoyed every cruise . 

Am I missing something ? 

To me, it is usually a special dinner menu, good wine, and drinks, and interesting conversation with officers and other invited guests. All for free.   Not concerned about status or honor or recognition.  Better than being invited to a Bridge tour or playing pool volleyball with the officers.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

My experience on Azamara is it's most definitely not based on the cabin you are staying in as it often is on Celebrity. That is reserved for the Best of the Best dinner in the Drawing Room. Top suites and maybe certain other guests and truly a memorable culinary experience. 

The official "Captain's Table" on Azamara is in THE worst spot in the dining room, right in the middle on the upper tier and in the noisiest spot. Personally I don't do noise very well and find it hard to hear the conversation. But I think it's lovely if one is asked. 

Phil 

Correct.  It was with the ship's master and another officer in the Drawing Room.  Selection by cabin class.

30 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

To me, it is usually a special dinner menu, good wine, and drinks, and interesting conversation with officers and other invited guests. All for free.   Not concerned about status or honor or recognition.  Better than being invited to a Bridge tour or playing pool volleyball with the officers.

Best discussion ever with a Master/Captain was during an officer's quarters and bridge tour on Navigator of the Seas.  Insights into how the ship really works.  The Captain was a special breed not limiting himself to required protocol events - he actually drove the Zamboni between ice shows.  Very candid exchange of perspectives on sea states, cruise lines and most difficult passages.  

43 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

In reading CCers posts we get a " feel " for what they are like.

After reading your always interesting and informative posts, I doubt you take part in Zumba at poolside, Silent disco , Look 23 yrs younger in 32  minute class(es ) at the Spa  , the Newlywed game , or the Congo line to GR to have your gratuities removed. 

• Like 1

Celebrity once tried to lure frequent passengers from other lines by inviting them to a Captain’s Table. That didn’t work and was discontinued. An invitation is largely a marketing device to attract targeted passengers. 

16 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

In reading CCers posts we get a " feel " for what they are like.

After reading your always interesting and informative posts, I doubt you take part in Zumba at poolside, Silent disco , Look 23 yrs younger in 32  minute class(es ) at the Spa  , the Newlywed game , or the Congo line to GR to have your gratuities removed. 

So funny!  LOL.  You nailed it!  Have never done any of that stuff on any cruise!  Also I do not take along my emotional support animal or have never done the belly flop competition (which I would win).  But I do admit to participating once or twice to the Quest in my younger days sailing Royal Caribbean.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Orator said:

Celebrity once tried to lure frequent passengers from other lines by inviting them to a Captain’s Table. That didn’t work and was discontinued. An invitation is largely a marketing device to attract targeted passengers. 

Maybe that is why NCL gives Platinum (Elit+) 2 free Specialty Restaurant (SR) meals as a perk and MSC gives Diamond (Elite+) 1 free SR as a perk. I love these typr of marketing device to attract us. I guess it worked!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Oxo said:

When people have Traditional Dining and they sit with people they may not know, is that awkward? 

Everyone has their opinions. If you would feel awkward, we will not invite you to our table. LOL

STAY SAFE! 

Me thinks you misunderstood my comment.

I was referring to my having a one on one with captain as opposed a whole table of others.

And yes if the captain was at the table, some folks would feel awkward. And also a bit more composed and stiff. The conversation would have to be shared by all and I might not have a chance to ask more than 2 questions. So an important person like the captain, yes I would like his  or full attention.

Has nothing to do with other dining times with other folks.

You do not know me and so do not judge.

I hate traditonal dining as I prefer different tables every night. Like meeting new people.

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Me thinks you misunderstood my comment.

I was referring to my having a one on one with captain as opposed a whole table of others.

And yes if the captain was at the table, some folks would feel awkward. And also a bit more composed and stiff. The conversation would have to be shared by all and I might not have a chance to ask more than 2 questions. So an important person like the captain, yes I would like his  or full attention.

Has nothing to do with other dining times with other folks.

You do not know me and so do not judge.

I hate traditonal dining as I prefer different tables every night. Like meeting new people.

I was joking. Your right,  I do not know you as you do not know me. 

How would anyone think or try to be the center of attention with the Captain or an Officer? This who would feel awkward should attend or not, as it is their choice. 

The next Crouise we are on we will invite you to our table if you buy the drinks, I will pay for the MDR meal.  LOL

Stay Safe! HAPPY cruising!

We did the Atlantic trip on board Queen Mary a few year ago New York to Southampton and were fortunate enough to be assigned to an Officers table, in our case the Chief Engineer. We were only in a modest balcony cabin but after complaining about our table and location on the first night the Maitre d ask if we would like to join an officer hosted table, we weren't sure as it was about 10 people but eventually said yes. It was the best thing we ever did as firstly it turned out to be a great bunch of people and it was was the whole voyage, every night with a change of officer some night, and we had complimentary excellent wine all week, which we normally would have paid for, so all in all worked out great. It seemed that others on the table had also complained about something, I'm sure this doesn't work most times but it's just a thought. I don't know if Cunard still do this as our last cruise with them was in a suite, separate dining.

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

take along my emotional support animal

LOL---- SO, you travel on your own ????

In case you " care "?? ---- You are hearing from a one time ( 2009 ) putting Champion . 

The competition was pretty tough on our last cruise !!!!

Holy Cow, we were 6 in the final round-- 2 sitting on their walkers while putting, a guy who never golfed in his life who asked " How do you hold this " stick " ? , etc,etc---

Unluckily for me, the lady before me " whacked " her putt off an electric scooter , kicked left , hit a guy in the shin, and " poof " ---- into the hole. ( Never mind what I mumbled to myself ).

Isn't it " crazy " what we do to win a tshirt, key chain, or a water bottle on a cruise ???

14 minutes ago, Oxo said:

I was joking. Your right,  I do not know you as you do not know me. 

How would anyone think or try to be the center of attention with the Captain or an Officer? This who would feel awkward should attend or not, as it is their choice. 

The next Crouise we are on we will invite you to our table if you buy the drinks, I will pay for the MDR meal.  LOL

Stay Safe! HAPPY cruising!

Ok peace then.

But we would still have a problem as I am one of those folks who do not drink alcohol.

And if you pay for MDR, I would like to pick my bread selection as I am picky. So annoyed when someone else grabs my favorite. 

I hope to be safe on my NCL Encore cruise to Alaska in late Aug this year.

I am looking forward to my two Edge cruises next year and then the new "Beyond"

Toodles. Hoping the variant virus goes away

17 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL---- SO, you travel on your own ????

In case you " care "?? ---- You are hearing from a one time ( 2009 ) putting Champion . 

The competition was pretty tough on our last cruise !!!!

Holy Cow, we were 6 in the final round-- 2 sitting on their walkers while putting, a guy who never golfed in his life who asked " How do you hold this " stick " ? , etc,etc---

Unluckily for me, the lady before me " whacked " her putt off an electric scooter , kicked left , hit a guy in the shin, and " poof " ---- into the hole. ( Never mind what I mumbled to myself ).

Isn't it " crazy " what we do to win a tshirt, key chain, or a water bottle on a cruise ???

Funny!  Another thing I will admit to on a cruise is something I have never done anywhere on land.  Shuffleboard.  For some reason, when cruising with my son along over the years we would get into a shuffleboard match or too against each other.  No reason.  Just our thing I guess.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Ok peace then.

But we would still have a problem as I am one of those folks who do not drink alcohol.

And if you pay for MDR, I would like to pick my bread selection as I am picky. So annoyed when someone else grabs my favorite. 

I hope to be safe on my NCL Encore cruise to Alaska in late Aug this year.

I am looking forward to my two Edge cruises next year and then the new "Beyond"

Toodles. Hoping the variant virus goes away

Agree! We like Specialty Coffee. Very little booze.

Enjoy the Encore! We were on her B2B Feb 2020. Excellent Ship, Cruise, Food.

Going on the Edge in Sept. Were on her after the B2B on the Encore Feb 2020.

We have EPIC and Getaway Nov and Dec in the Med.

Peace/Stay Safe! Enjoyed conversing with you! 

Edited by Oxo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Correct.  It was with the ship's master and another officer in the Drawing Room.  Selection by cabin class.

Ah ok. That event is different to a Captain's Table that is being discussed here and in my view on a another level, with food cooked specially by the Executive Chef and Sommelier chosen wine with each course. And it's a given to attend if you stay in one of the 10 large suites. It's not something that would normally be offered to a frequent cruiser if they weren't staying in one of those suites. You can of course decline to go if you don't want to. 

Phil 

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Ah ok. That event is different to a Captain's Table that is being discussed here and in my view on a another level, with food cooked specially by the Executive Chef and Sommelier chosen wine with each course. And it's a given to attend if you stay in one of the 10 large suites. It's not something that would normally be offered to a frequent cruiser if they weren't staying in one of those suites. You can of course decline to go if you don't want to. 

Phil 

This sounds like the Chef Table on RCI. That is an experience! 

On 6/20/2021 at 7:05 PM, Oxo said:

This sounds like the Chef Table on RCI. That is an experience! 

I haven't done the Chef's Table on Royal so can't compare. The menu on B o B is constantly changing and the Exec Chef is given free reign to produce something. It's hard to explain, but I've had some amazing food there, both taste and appearance. 

Phil 

1F4AD5BE-4C3B-45E6-9814-34DE01341D13.jpeg

17F79910-773D-4A1A-8EED-0584C4D50D13.jpeg

9C572A49-193B-4BA8-899B-2816C1465384.jpeg

DF647087-29AE-4AEF-9EF1-1B5223E3679B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 11:25 AM, BigAl94 said:

If I paid to go to a luxury hotel and had to eat with the staff I would not be happy!

If I worked in a luxury hotel and had to eat with the patrons, I would not be happy!

And that was before Covid, Now, I would be extremely unhappy, because I would not know if the patrons were really fully vaccinated. 😷

• Haha 1