Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

10 minutes ago, barrykel said:

Looks like they sort of fixed it for me - I can now actually see my info, and while they lost a bunch of it I managed to reenter everything for me - only problem now is my picture showing up on DW's account, which should be easy to fix once she gets home. You may want to try again.

Kind of like I went through before. We have a cancelled/replacement cruise to sort out. So I will wait until we have new booking number for replacement cruise. 

OK, looks like I got everything fixed. BTW, if anyone wants to change their security and profile pictures, note that if you change the security pic, you don't have the option to use the same one for the profile pic, you have to retake it as well. 

I left a 1 star review in the Android Play Store (only because it wouldn't let you select 0 stars). Overall rating was 1.4 (out of 5) - I was a little surprised it was that high.

41 minutes ago, barrykel said:

if you change the security pic, you don't have the option to use the same one for the profile pic, you have to retake it as well. 

Well when it worked for me I just uploaded the same picture from my Photos for both Security and Profile for Self and DW - the app seemed Ok with that. I have seen comments that the app want you to take a Selfie versus an Upload - I did not see that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Well when it worked for me I just uploaded the same picture from my Photos for both Security and Profile for Self and DW - the app seemed Ok with that. I have seen comments that the app want you to take a Selfie versus an Upload - I did not see that.

Are you on iPhone or Android? I've got an Android phone and it's definitely asking for a selfie; if you've got an iPhone, maybe that's the difference.

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

No iOS update from 3.1.4 right ? Several people referred to a Friday update. Frustrating to see errors when I have not made any changes. 

I had read a post or two referring to that event as well.  Nothing new out there for Android Saturday morning.  I did wonder if it was for real as there weren't many other confirmations.

I have read most of this thread and I have a minor, but odd, issue that I haven’t seen mentioned yet.  When I select a photo to upload for my profile the end result is a photo that looks like it’s been stretched.  It’s like someone has pulled up from my hair (if I had any) and down from my chin.  I get the same stretched result when I take a new photo instead of selecting a file.  

Has anyone else seen this?  I am on an iPhone.  The attached is the result I get on the app when I upload the photo you see as my cruise critic profile picture.

Don from Halifax 

755B523D-A7BD-4EA4-81C8-37D646DE3A53.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alfieisgod said:

When I select a photo to upload for my profile the end result is a photo that looks like it’s been stretched.  

I see the same sort of stretching when I try and take a selfie with the Medallion Class app on my Lenovo Flex Chromebook (Android); it's fine if I take it on my Android phone. Not sure what could be causing it; wouldn't be surprised if it was some sort of weird app bug.

Edited by barrykel

5 hours ago, barrykel said:

OK, looks like I got everything fixed. BTW, if anyone wants to change their security and profile pictures, note that if you change the security pic, you don't have the option to use the same one for the profile pic, you have to retake it as well. 

I left a 1 star review in the Android Play Store (only because it wouldn't let you select 0 stars). Overall rating was 1.4 (out of 5) - I was a little surprised it was that high.

If you read the reviews, a few people give a high number of stars, then say "I got most things loaded"  or

"I loaded everything except...," or "Princess help was great after spending 2 hours on the phone".  To me, if I can't do EVERYTHING, or I have to spend 2 hours on the phone, it is not even average.  The comments don't match the stars.  Go figure.  You can't fix stupid.  Those few high ratings are enough to skew ratings the .4.  If more people could give it a 0, I think that .4 would go away quickly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

If you read the reviews, a few people give a high number of stars, then say "I got most things loaded"  or

"I loaded everything except...," or "Princess help was great after spending 2 hours on the phone".  To me, if I can't do EVERYTHING, or I have to spend 2 hours on the phone, it is not even average.  The comments don't match the stars.  Go figure.  You can't fix stupid.  Those few high ratings are enough to skew ratings the .4.  If more people could give it a 0, I think that .4 would go away quickly.

When it was first released, there were about 4 5* reviews - probably all from the developer team.  So that skews it.  No way would a sane person have voted the App 5*.  If it worked as promised, sure, but not the way it is.  I'd give it about 2* now.

6 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I read reviews to help me in a decision to buy something. If everybody has to use the Medallionclass App what difference does it make what the reviews say?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, billco said:

I read reviews to help me in a decision to buy something. If everybody has to use the Medallionclass App what difference does it make what the reviews say?

The reviews can be a highly useful tool for the development team; smart management can use the reviews to influence (or determine) the future development plans for the app. It's unclear whether Princess is competent to take advantage of this. I looked up the LinkedIn profile of the Carnival Chief Information Officer, and it turns out his only experience prior to joining Carnival was as CEO of two startups - the first was acquired, the second went bankrupt. Neither was involved in consumer-facing software, much less mobile apps. His profile did include a post from the CTO of Costa; it looks like his team, based in Germany, are the ones who developed the medallion technology. Neither of them appear to have any experience with American smartphone consumers; I couldn't find any indication of whether there is a separate CTO for Princess.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barrykel said:

The reviews can be a highly useful tool for the development team; smart management can use the reviews to influence (or determine) the future development plans for the app. It's unclear whether Princess is competent to take advantage of this. I looked up the LinkedIn profile of the Carnival Chief Information Officer, and it turns out his only experience prior to joining Carnival was as CEO of two startups - the first was acquired, the second went bankrupt. Neither was involved in consumer-facing software, much less mobile apps. His profile did include a post from the CTO of Costa; it looks like his team, based in Germany, are the ones who developed the medallion technology. Neither of them appear to have any experience with American smartphone consumers; I couldn't find any indication of whether there is a separate CTO for Princess.

Would that be Greg Sullivan?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gregoryasullivan/

How about Marshall Lancaster?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-chief-information-officer-named-for-princess-cruises-holland-america-line-seabourn-po-cruises-australia-and-carnival-australia-300976889.html

or John Padgett?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnpadgett/

All seem to have quite a bit of experience.

Edited by billco

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I had read a post or two referring to that event as well.  Nothing new out there for Android Saturday morning.  I did wonder if it was for real as there weren't many other confirmations.

I would be one of them.  I mentioned Friday's update because I thought it came from a very reliable source.  On that rare occasion, when I was directly connected (via agent Jason) to an OCEAN Navigator (Bwana) on Thursday, she said that an update was coming out on Friday.  I thought she knew what she was talking about.  She knew that I had an iPhone.  She alluded to updates would fix glitches.  

Well, once again, I fell for their promises.  Apologies to all for getting your hopes up.

23 minutes ago, billco said:

I was referring to Sullivan, I missed Lancaster and Padgett. Both of the latter two do indeed have pretty impressive resumes (including quite a bit of relevant experience, as opposed to Sullivan, whose experience was in a totally different market segment), which makes it even more surprising that Princess would make this serious a blunder.

Copied this from the August 1st live

"We have the drink package included, so we decided to try ordering from our cabin. We both ordered drinks (a margarita and a strawberry daiquiri) and they were delivered to our cabin within 10 minutes.  Order showed no charge for delivery.

As others have mentioned, you have to order drinks on your account.  If you order drinks for you and your spouse from one account, you will be charged for the second one."

Believe most passengers are linked to a single summary account. Many of these may only have a single device. Can Ocean Now work without logging in and logging out. If no, Princess has to get this fixed.

Appears the exclusion of room service from the Premier Beverage Package as indicated in the terms does not apply when ordering via the app.   

Guest Snaxmuppet
3 minutes ago, skynight said:

Appears the exclusion of room service from the Premier Beverage Package as indicated in the terms does not apply when ordering via the app.   

Can anyone else confirm this please?

Guest Snaxmuppet
5 hours ago, skynight said:

Please refer to posting 168 on page 7 of the referenced post. Appears there was no charge for drinks delivered to the cabin.

Thanks for that.

I have just read the Terms and Conditions for the package and nowhere there does it exclude drinks delivered to the room so I am hoping that it is official.

I don't see why it shouldn't be though... if you can get a drink delivered to anywhere on the ship then why not your cabin?

Hmmm... It seems to have pulled the EZ Air info over into the app for me but not my wife. Stupid. Also had to delete my credit card info and then put it in again because it no longer had her linked and there was no way to fix it without doing it over. Oddly enough, even though the flights are only showing for me and my wife has a big red mark in that section we are both showing as Green Lane with the "main screen" boxes all checked green (except for Arrival and Departure Groups of course).