Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

You are not mistaken.  As of now there is no place to enter passport information, credit card info., emergency contact info., all the things we are used to entering online.  They keep promising to re-activate the on-line check-in but so far no sign of it. 

Two questions:  I'm trying to scan my passport, but the "camera" is in reverse.  I thought perhaps it was the camera in my phone,  but I checked and no, it is not in reverse.  So, instead of scanning my passport, my phone through the app wants to scan ME.

Second, I thought I'd manually enter the information, but the date (calendar) is today, and I can't find a way to set the date back to the month and year I was actually born (which yes, is decades in the rear view mirror).  Am I missing something here?  I can't keep clicking on the back arrow all the way to the 1950s.....

15 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you for your explanation.  I just asked my SIL (software engineer) and he assured me that it wasn't my fault nor my device.  But that doesn't really help any if the app continues to display the white screen of death as you are trying to enter data.  Sign

from the testing I have done one will have problems if your device is limited in memory, cpu speed, or you have a slow internet connection, even if you are running the correct versions of an operating system.

3 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

Two questions:  I'm trying to scan my passport, but the "camera" is in reverse.  I thought perhaps it was the camera in my phone,  but I checked and no, it is not in reverse.  So, instead of scanning my passport, my phone through the app wants to scan ME.

Second, I thought I'd manually enter the information, but the date (calendar) is today, and I can't find a way to set the date back to the month and year I was actually born (which yes, is decades in the rear view mirror).  Am I missing something here?  I can't keep clicking on the back arrow all the way to the 1950s.....

you can scroll month year and day independently.

7 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I had not seen this option previously but it’s possible to request the types of paper notices received in cabin (OceanReady Profile; My Preferences; Cabin).

7CBB5986-6989-4BFC-8BDF-360181185F04.png

Thanks!  I checked Princess Patter only.  I’m sure if there is an “important “ notice, I will still get it! 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwimum said:

You can also order specific types of pillows in the app, feather, synthetic, hypoallergenic, soft, firm and they are delivered by room steward.    Nightly turn down service is another option.   

When we ordered through the app feather pillows it was 2 pillows per order so we selected one order. When a crewmember arrived with 1 pillow and not 2 she had to return later with a second pillow. It’s just another poorly designed option in the MC system.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I wish there was a new "topic" for the Medalian App for people who are having trouble just even using it to upload information.  I'm sure once you are lucky enough to have the app running and are on board ship, everything will be self explanatory .... plus there are dozens of YouTube vlogs on using the app onboard.  It's prior to the cruise and getting the app started is where I see people having difficulty.  FWIW, Disney has been using their My Disney Experience app for quite a few years now and it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

2 hours ago, MudderBear said:

FWIW, Disney has been using their My Disney Experience app for quite a few years now and it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Is it anyways near as difficult to load your information as the Princess medallion app?

On 12/8/2021 at 3:05 PM, BabySarge said:

I'm done with this bleeping app!!  DH and I shall walk up to whatever lane they are calling the "customer completely frustrated and done with the app ready to throw their expensive phone thru the wall" lane in Fort Lauderdale on embarkation day and hand them all our paperwork and passports and let them sort it all out.  After which we shall board the Emerald Princess, find our cabin, drop our carryon baggage, and head to Vines for a very LARGE glass of wine.  When dinnertime rolls around, we will hopefully be mellow enough from the wine intake to roll with whatever cluster that Dine My Way turns out to be.  I have struggled with this app since the beginning but really thought (stupid me) that I had gotten the hang of it and that all was going well.  All our cruises were there, they were all linked together for our upcoming B2B2B2B, it was letting me input, it was saving, it even let me select DMW stuff and saved it.  Well, I should have known better - the first leg of our B2B2etc is gone, our previously input info is partially there, won't save anything else I put in, gives me white screen of death, and on and on.  Tried uninstall and reinstall several times, tried waiting it out, tried turning my phone off and then on again, whatever.  I have enough stress in my life without this.  Done, done, done!!!

Great comment, I hope someone in the Princess establishment takes note although I don't hold out much hope.  I emailed Medallion App customer care as my iPhone being all of 5 years old does not accept this App so what are my options!!  I now know just how 'wonderful' this app is and the fact that it will remove all 'friction' and 'enhance my travel experience' but no answer to my actual question - I'm not sailing until April so hopefully the website check-in will be reinstated by then - I did make another booking with P&O and completed all the required information online within about 10 minutes. If Princess does not take note of all these negative comments they will be losing some of their loyal customers, us included.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 1:59 PM, MudderBear said:

Second, I thought I'd manually enter the information, but the date (calendar) is today, and I can't find a way to set the date back to the month and year I was actually born 

I had the same problem initially, I can't remember exact detail, but there are two scroll buttons. One on the left allows you to scroll the Year.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

I had the same problem initially, I can't remember exact detail, but there are two scroll buttons. One on the left allows you to scroll the Year.

It seems pretty dumb not to have a pop-up calendar with a year change and month change function - as well as direct entry.  What's wrong with simple direct entry anyway?  Dumb programmers IMO.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It seems pretty dumb not to have a pop-up calendar with a year change and month change function - as well as direct entry.  What's wrong with simple direct entry anyway?  Dumb programmers IMO.

I just checked our data in MC APP even though it has been complete for sometime now.  What a pain the way they changed it.  It was not that way some time back.

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Is it anyways near as difficult to load your information as the Princess medallion app?

In a way they are two separate animals.  The one on your computer you can actually book reservations, etc, and then link (even reservations you made on third party sites) into your account.  The phone app contains your ticket (as does the computer one), but this app will serve as the actual ticket to get INTO the park, also to  reserve rides, make mobile dining orders, dining reservations, get into your Disney resort room, etc.  There are a host of other things you can do on the phone app.  They are separate, like siblings, but are related to each other and share many, but not all, of the same functions.

Edited by MudderBear

2 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

In a way they are two separate animals.  The one on your computer you can actually book reservations, etc, and then link (even reservations you made on third party sites) into your account.  The phone app contains your ticket (as does the computer one), but this app will serve as the actual ticke3t to get INTO the park, also to  reserve rides, make mobile dining orders, dining reservations, get into your Disney resort room, etc.  There are a host of other things you can do on the phone app.  They are separate, like siblings, but are related to each other and share some of the same functions.

The WDW phone app was great when I was last there in 2019.  Meanwhile, Princess app also works pretty well on board, but often can't get out of first gear pre-cruise.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I believe there is a way to scroll Years - though as you say you should be able to enter date manually. Our passport data is complete so I cannot check the input options.

I believe there is a way to scroll Years - though as you say you should be able to enter date manually. Our passport data is complete so I cannot check the input options.

I saw a pop-up calendar earlier today that had Month/Year at the top with single left and right arrows (so not moving by year and month).  It was the typical full 30/31 day calendar layout, S-to-S.

Actually you can if you select EDIT option.  I just checked it out and didn't save anything.

I was curious about the phone camera working backwards (selfie-mode) instead of regular photo mode to scan the passport.  I would have had to delete our data and start over and didn't want to try that.  Maybe I will sometime for the heck of it. 

4 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

The app removed all of our dining reservations for our Spring 2022 B2B cruises. It’s sad that we still need to regularly check the app to stay ahead of the unexpected glitches.

Your are right - we ought to be able to expect data to remain intact, but we all know we need to keep an eye on our bookings in case Princess changes our cabin even though marked "No Upgrade". 

It may not have been the App doing it - it could have been one of the IT team doing something that caused data to be wiped.  Who knows if they even were aware of what they did?

We have a cruise leaving in 2 weeks. Up until this last weekend, the app would not recognize our booking number on 5 different devices so we could not enter any info. As of this weekend, we are magically in the green lane! I still cannot order Medallions, I still get the white screen of death. Per a phone call with Princess this morning, it is too late to order them anyway. I also cannot pre-purchase internet service because, again, it is too late. I believe it is less expensive if I pre-order it though. Things are better with the app but it is still a totally unacceptable user experience. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fairmontracer said:

We have a cruise leaving in 2 weeks. Up until this last weekend, the app would not recognize our booking number on 5 different devices so we could not enter any info. As of this weekend, we are magically in the green lane! I still cannot order Medallions, I still get the white screen of death. Per a phone call with Princess this morning, it is too late to order them anyway. I also cannot pre-purchase internet service because, again, it is too late. I believe it is less expensive if I pre-order it though. Things are better with the app but it is still a totally unacceptable user experience. 

Couldn’t Princess do the internet order?

I’d call and get another agent. Tell them you want to purchase the internet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fairmontracer said:

So I happened to try the app on my Chromebook and was actually able to purchase the internet. When I mentioned the Chromebook to one of the Princess agents in the past, they told me it was not supported with the app.  It looks like the only missing thing is the medallions, we can get them at the terminal. I will be glad when we are actually on the ship!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fairmontracer said:

So I happened to try the app on my Chromebook and was actually able to purchase the internet. When I mentioned the Chromebook to one of the Princess agents in the past, they told me it was not supported with the app.  It looks like the only missing thing is the medallions, we can get them at the terminal. I will be glad when we are actually on the ship!

Due to the App not yet charging those who are eligible for 50% discount, the pre-cruise price is being offered on-board on Day 1, before increasing to the on-board price.