Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

31 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It seems at the programmers just simply discarded the fact that some of the Princess cruisers will never convert to using a smart phone. 

While I completely agree with you, Princess is keeping the option of checking in at the pier just like we have done for years anyway.  I think the app and Cruise Personalizer are just time saving 'conveniences' for embarkation day.  The app merely permits the customer to perform their own data entry instead of Princess hiring extra check in staff at the terminal.  Have you noticed how many teller positions are not being used in banks nowadays?  It's ATMs and apps that enables the banks to reduce the number of teller positions.  DW won't use an ATM and she doesn't use any bank apps either.  She just does the legacy thing and waits in the serpentine lines to deal with a human teller.  To each their own.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

While I completely agree with you, Princess is keeping the option of checking in at the pier just like we have done for years anyway.  I think the app and Cruise Personalizer are just time saving 'conveniences' for embarkation day.  The app merely permits the customer to perform their own data entry instead of Princess hiring extra check in staff at the terminal.  Have you noticed how many teller positions are not being used in banks nowadays?  It's ATMs and apps that enables the banks to reduce the number of teller positions.  DW won't use an ATM and she doesn't use any bank apps either.  She just does the legacy thing and waits in the serpentine lines to deal with a human teller.  To each their own.

She's not alone on line at the bank.....I'm right behind her. 😁 

I haven't a need for their ATM's or online banking in any fashion. If it wasn't for some dividend checks coming each quarter I probably wouldn't go there at all.

In Florida there's no shortage of banks where we live. There's 4 at almost every major intersection & there's all in big time competition with each other sending out offers to open new accounts all the time. 

49 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

She's not alone on line at the bank.....I'm right behind her. 😁 

I haven't a need for their ATM's or online banking in any fashion. If it wasn't for some dividend checks coming each quarter I probably wouldn't go there at all.

In Florida there's no shortage of banks where we live. There's 4 at almost every major intersection & there's all in big time competition with each other sending out offers to open new accounts all the time. 

Ha Ha, DW & I just opened a 6 figure account with a bank and didn't even get a free toaster.  For that matter, no lollipop either.  Oh well, at least I can still get a lollipop at my barber.  🙄

24 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Ha Ha, DW & I just opened a 6 figure account with a bank and didn't even get a free toaster.  For that matter, no lollipop either.  Oh well, at least I can still get a lollipop at my barber.  🙄

The last offer I received in our area was for $700 when you keep $15,000 on deposit for 90 days. There no all that generous. One bank I deal with just charged me $15 to electronically transfer a deposit into my account. I had to pay them to take my money. 😡

Needless to say it won't be sitting there very long. 

51 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

You say 'most' how do you substantiate that?

I wondered the same, and presumed it was simply a love-blind princess sentiment.

If someone cared to, they could simply start a poll here:

"Have you had any problems with the Medallion app?"

I certainly don't see any point in telling someone who is having a problem...

"Too bad for you.  Most people are not."

The people who have actually had no problems should be rushing out to

buy lottery tickets, and hoping their luck holds!

And, the most amusing part ... some people (a person?) now posting that they

have had no problem, previously posted about problems they were having.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

The last offer I received in our area was for $700 when you keep $15,000 on deposit for 90 days. There no all that generous. One bank I deal with just charged me $15 to electronically transfer a deposit into my account. I had to pay them to take my money. 😡

Needless to say it won't be sitting there very long. 

I can refer you to my barber if you'd like.  😊

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I wondered the same, and presumed it was simply a love-blind princess sentiment.

My sentiments exactly. I wondered if the poster had recent device with current OS and possibly a new booking. So, no device problem and no prior data transfer corruption. Though this still would not explain what causes data that goes missing and other white screens that suggest Server problems.

5 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I had an email from Princess today asking me to do a survey on my thoughts about Medallion Cruising....that took awhile 🙂

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, bjkTX said:

I had an email from Princess today asking me to do a survey on my thoughts about Medallion Cruising....that took awhile 🙂

Okay, but was the survey focused on the CRUISE experience (i.e. on board) and not the pre-cruise experience attempting to setup all the data in the App and use functions like DMW pre-cruise?

52 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Okay, but was the survey focused on the CRUISE experience (i.e. on board) and not the pre-cruise experience attempting to setup all the data in the App and use functions like DMW pre-cruise?

It's already gone from my PC but as I recall it was two or three check a block questions then a comment block on what you thought of the Medallion experience.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

My comment was not a "love-blind Princess sentiment".  For years my relationship with Princess Cruises was to provide information as to what worked and what needed to be tweaked, fixed completely or discarded because I viewed my relationship as both a stockholder in the corporation and a stakeholder with Princess Cruises.

Initially, I had issues with MedallionClass like everyone else and most of the issues were caused by entering in the information using the wrong person's log in when I should have used the one that actually made the booking.  Once that was identified it was smooth sailing for us, both in finishing the app entries and then on board the ship for 10 days where we had no issues with the app at all.

I would like to see an honest poll as to who is having problems and who didn't.  My comment regarding "most" not having issues is due partly to the fact there are many more folks that are contributing to CC and not posting issues than the number of folks still having problems.

Regardless, we should be thinking that the app issues will be resolved because it is a tool that will be very effective for all that use it.  In the meantime, a web based entry system is not too far off and for now there is always handling check-in the way we have done it in the past by bringing in documents to the terminal and proceeding aboard the ship.  Once on the ship the medallion can be used just like the cruise card was used and you can start enjoying the voyage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

For a little unscientific substantiation I'll submit that when we boarded Sky a couple of weeks ago the lines for manual check-in were extremely short.  Granted it's only a snapshot.

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Our post cruise survey was mostly on the cruise experience with several questions for on-board medallion use.  I don't recall any questions on implementing the app.

9 hours ago, bjkTX said:

It's already gone from my PC but as I recall it was two or three check a block questions then a comment block on what you thought of the Medallion experience.

Our post cruise survey was pretty extensive - took close to 30 minutes including some discussion on points like service and the very disappointing MDR.  But those are points for another thread.

2 hours ago, Grego said:

I would like to see an honest poll as to who is having problems and who didn't.

I as well.  Unfortunately, I don't think we will see that here.

My recollection from before the pandemic ... is that here were some long threads

about the initial use of medallions on board, and the problems people were having

with simple things like opening their cabin doors.

Subsequenty, I was unable to find those threads.

I chalked it up to: Don't bite the hand that feeds you...

• Like 1

Up until a few days ago, I was one of the few who never had any issues with this app, it always worked fine on all our bookings. As a result of all the travel issues in the news recently, we decided to re-jig our entire 2022 cruise season, cancelling three trips and re-booking two new ones later in the year. Our TA handled everything, and the two new bookings showed up in the app very quickly, alongside our two existing, untouched 2023 bookings.  Unfortunately, when I try to access the two new 2022 bookings in the "Travel Checklist" in an attempt to enter our information, I am met with "You do not have any journeys. Select Link Booking to add one".  When I enter the only bit of "enterable" info, the booking number and hit "Link Booking" the app just sits there, doing nothing. Our TA, who handled the booking with Princess, says it IS linked.  Any suggestions? I've tried a few things, like logging out and logging back in, deleting and re-installing the app, etc. For now, anyway, contacting Princess is a non-starter, I'm not about to it on hold for hours for this.  Thanks in advance.

15 hours ago, Tedferg said:

My sentiments exactly. I wondered if the poster had recent device with current OS and possibly a new booking. So, no device problem and no prior data transfer corruption. Though this still would not explain what causes data that goes missing and other white screens that suggest Server problems.

I think if Princess can crank up their web version, it will really help the situation.

First, it takes the pressure off the medallion app as customers have an alternative.

And, second ... it's a lot easier to make web applications work that phone applications.

There are only a small number of browsers, as opposed to a bazillion combinations of

phones, OS versions and other apps installed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Up until a few days ago, I was one of the few who never had any issues with this app, it always worked fine on all our bookings. As a result of all the travel issues in the news recently, we decided to re-jig our entire 2022 cruise season, cancelling three trips and re-booking two new ones later in the year. Our TA handled everything, and the two new bookings showed up in the app very quickly, alongside our two existing, untouched 2023 bookings.  Unfortunately, when I try to access the two new 2022 bookings in the "Travel Checklist" in an attempt to enter our information, I am met with "You do not have any journeys. Select Link Booking to add one".  When I enter the only bit of "enterable" info, the booking number and hit "Link Booking" the app just sits there, doing nothing. Our TA, who handled the booking with Princess, says it IS linked.  Any suggestions? I've tried a few things, like logging out and logging back in, deleting and re-installing the app, etc. For now, anyway, contacting Princess is a non-starter, I'm not about to it on hold for hours for this.  Thanks in advance.

You probably have, but have you tried logging in with the booking number?

16 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Are any of them B2B?  

You mentioned the new bookings showed up in the App quickly.  My experience is that it takes a day or two for the systems to sync up and I still see old voyage (although tagged as cancelled) and the new one not there yet (these were for same voyage, but with a new booking number and I know you have changed dates).

Also, post above, #1721, is a good idea.  Given some time, it might fix itself.  You may need to pick a time when you won't have to wait on hold for very long and call them.  You can also write and give them your booking numbers and the issues you are having:

AskOceanMedallion@carnival.com

Edited by Steelers36

2 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

You probably have, but have you tried logging in with the booking number?

Thanks, yes, tried that a number of times. I read in a post here on CC some time ago that someone had gotten lucky by entering the Booking Number in lowercase rather than the expected upper case, but that didn't work either.  I also tried using my wife's details in case our TA had put the booking in her name, but again no joy.

8 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks, yes, tried that a number of times. I read in a post here on CC some time ago that someone had gotten lucky by entering the Booking Number in lowercase rather than the expected upper case, but that didn't work either.  I also tried using my wife's details in case our TA had put the booking in her name, but again no joy.

Do all your bookings show up on the website?  Also, how many are there?  Just wondering if you've hit some threshold that blocks the listing on the app.

21 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Are any of them B2B?  

You mentioned the new bookings showed up in the App quickly.  My experience is that it takes a day or two for the systems to sync up and I still see old voyage (although tagged as cancelled) and the new one not there yet (these were for same voyage, but with a new booking number and I know you have changed dates).

Also, post above, #1721, is a good idea.  Given some time, it might fix itself.  You may need to pick a time when you won't have to wait on hold for very long and call them.  You can also write and give them your booking numbers and the issues you are having:

AskOceanMedallion@carnival.com

Thanks a bunch.  I'll be trying the Email next, thanks for the link.  No B2B, two separate trips in April and November. The two new ones did show up fast, IIRC maybe the same day or a day or two later, can't remember exactly.   One thing I'm having our TA look into is the fact that in the two new Princess Booking Confirmation docs we received from her for the new trips,  my wife shows up on the left and I'm on the right under PASSENGERS, implying she is the primary and I'm the secondary. On the two 2023 bookings, and all previous bookings, including the ones we just cancelled, I'm on the left and she is on the right. Could be coincidence, or not.  Obviously I've also tried logging in with her credentials as if the bookings are in her name, still no luck

Edited by lx200gps