Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

Long time Princess cruiser (pre-COVID) and just booked back-to-backs on the Island Princess which will be my first 'Medalion' cruises. I HATE this Medallion App thing! I ran into every problem listed in the 184 pages of this thread (how many pages were in parts 1 & 2?) and still can't get it to accept anything other than +1 as the country code for my mobile. I can't use the web version because when I try to log in, it tells me my email address is not valid - I know my friggin' email address (and it's correct).

Medallion (cr)App! 😡

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

To cruisingaussies, did you fill in medallion selection? I previously ignored 'ordering' medallion because we were picking them up at the pier, but when I 'ordered' them and confirmed this, we went to Green lane.

Sorry, I didn't see anything that said medallion selection?  We live in Australia, so I wouldn't be ordering them and paying, plus we leave two months before the cruise so I would have no faith in them arriving before we left home.

1 hour ago, Bill B said:

Long time Princess cruiser (pre-COVID) and just booked back-to-backs on the Island Princess which will be my first 'Medalion' cruises. I HATE this Medallion App thing! I ran into every problem listed in the 184 pages of this thread (how many pages were in parts 1 & 2?) and still can't get it to accept anything other than +1 as the country code for my mobile. I can't use the web version because when I try to log in, it tells me my email address is not valid - I know my friggin' email address (and it's correct).

Medallion (cr)App! 😡

Hi Bill

So sorry you're having problems but welcome to my club.  I absolutely detest this Medallion thing!  It is mind boggling that the problems continue and Princess seem impervious to any of it.  Good question, how many pages in parts 1 & 2 of the thread!!

Where On Earth are you trying to fill this thing in?  We're in Australia and trying to get our country code accepted required many tries.  Still wouldn't save the info anyway!

21 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Sorry, I didn't see anything that said medallion selection?  We live in Australia, so I wouldn't be ordering them and paying, plus we leave two months before the cruise so I would have no faith in them arriving before we left home.

When you are on the App, under

personal information and documents…

Next line…

Choose your medallion wearable…

You would click on that, order the medallion, the free one and choose pick up at port.

13 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

When you are on the App, under

personal information and documents…

Next line…

Choose your medallion wearable…

You would click on that, order the medallion, the free one and choose pick up at port.

Thank you!  I didn't notice that.  Have done it and it has been confirmed.  At least something works!

1 hour ago, cruisingaussies said:

Hi Bill

So sorry you're having problems but welcome to my club.  I absolutely detest this Medallion thing!  It is mind boggling that the problems continue and Princess seem impervious to any of it.  Good question, how many pages in parts 1 & 2 of the thread!!

Where On Earth are you trying to fill this thing in?  We're in Australia and trying to get our country code accepted required many tries.  Still wouldn't save the info anyway!

Hi there!

I'm in Vietnam and can change the country code for my mobile to +84; however, the app won't 'Save' it - it reverts to +1. What I did was 'untick' the SMS Messaging box (so it won't send messages to phones I can't answer/wrong numbers) and left it at that. It took me 10 hours to enter all the info. required to get to 'Green Line' status - one of the most frustrating exercises I've ever experienced!  😖

EDIT: It took 5 minutes to enter the information. It took 10 hours of 'screwing around' to get the app to accept the information.

Edited by Bill B
In the interest of clarity.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bill B said:

Hi there!

I'm in Vietnam and can change the country code for my mobile to +84; however, the app won't 'Save' it - it reverts to +1. What I did was 'untick' the SMS Messaging box (so it won't send messages to phones I can't answer/wrong numbers) and left it at that. It took me 10 hours to enter all the info. required to get to 'Green Line' status - one of the most frustrating exercises I've ever experienced!  😖

EDIT: It took 5 minutes to enter the information. It took 10 hours of 'screwing around' to get the app to accept the information.

😱I've given up with trying to get our info saved for the moment.  If I have the time and - more to the point - the patience, I'll try again.  At least I feel some kind of victory having successfully, or so it seems,  ordered the medallion.  Even though I don't plan to use it except, maybe, to open our stateroom door.

34 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

😱I've given up with trying to get our info saved for the moment.  If I have the time and - more to the point - the patience, I'll try again.  At least I feel some kind of victory having successfully, or so it seems,  ordered the medallion.  Even though I don't plan to use it except, maybe, to open our stateroom door.

Don’t you have to use it every time you order a drink?  I plan to give mine a workout.

23 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

At least I feel some kind of victory having successfully, or so it seems,  ordered the medallion.  Even though I don't plan to use it except, maybe, to open our stateroom door.

How exactly does the medallion work? I know it replaces the old key cards and it's based on radio frequency. However, how is it used to order drinks etc.? Is it used in conjunction with my phone? Do I order on my phone and use the medallion to 'pay'? If I'm in a bar, do I have to use my phone to order?

I don't want to have to carry my phone - it's not welded to my hand, and unlike most people I don't spend 16 hrs./day staring at the screen and start to withdrawal symptoms if I'm accidentally separated from it.

49 minutes ago, Bill B said:

How exactly does the medallion work? I know it replaces the old key cards and it's based on radio frequency. However, how is it used to order drinks etc.? Is it used in conjunction with my phone? Do I order on my phone and use the medallion to 'pay'? If I'm in a bar, do I have to use my phone to order?

I don't want to have to carry my phone - it's not welded to my hand.....

The medallion is used to "pay" for your drinks or other onboard purchases by identifying who you are, like the old key cards, but you can order from one of the smiling, friendly, helpful servers.  It is also required to be presented when boarding or leaving the ship.  And it is how you unlock your cabin door.  At no time do you have to use your phone once onboard.

56 minutes ago, Bill B said:

I don't want to have to carry my phone - it's not welded to my hand, and unlike most people I don't spend 16 hrs./day staring at the screen and start to withdrawal symptoms if I'm accidentally separated from it.

I so agree with you about the phone Bill.  I believe you can use the medallion for all kinds of things but we plan to stick to good, old fashioned methods.   I occasionally carry my phone on a cruise if I think there may be something worthwhile to take a photo of.  Otherwise I don't need it as an attachment 24/7.

Brenda 

36 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

The medallion is used to "pay" for your drinks or other onboard purchases by identifying who you are, like the old key cards, but you can order from one of the smiling, friendly, helpful servers.  It is also required to be presented when boarding or leaving the ship.  And it is how you unlock your cabin door.  At no time do you have to use your phone once onboard.

Ok... got it. Thanks! 😃

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

I so agree with you about the phone Bill.  I believe you can use the medallion for all kinds of things but we plan to stick to good, old fashioned methods.   I occasionally carry my phone on a cruise if I think there may be something worthwhile to take a photo of.  Otherwise I don't need it as an attachment 24/7.

Brenda 

The medallion is great to use OB. You just walk up to the bar or coffee counter and your info comes up on their screen to order your drinks.  You can, if you want, order on your phone, through your TV, or a waiter if you prefer. You do not need to carry your phone around.

We’ve used the Medallion on PCL since 2018, when they first started on the ships.

When a bar waiter takes your order, they can see your info also, or scan your medallion and take the order.

Or, the MDR will see your info when you go in for dinner.  The reservation that you have, etc.

We love the ocean medallion OB and it has so many advantages over the old fashioned card.  Most cruise lines do have a similar technology.  

You will use the medallion to scan getting on and off the ship. We wear a bracelet with the medallion in it and barely remember it’s on. 

The medallion is not the same as the App.  The App is just to check you

in for the cruise.

I say, if you’re having a lot of difficulty with the App, you might want to use the website version of the App to do your checkin. Or, email or call the ocean medallion IT team for help with the App.

Cruise personalizer>checkin>

(Just under the download Google Apple Bars)

There’s a blue hyperlink “Try our website version”

The phone entry has presented problems for some folks since the beginning.  They corrected some, but not all the glitches.

If you need help you can email:

Askoceanmedallion@carnival.com

Your full name

Ship and Sail date

Booking no

Device you are using

State exact problems you’re having

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

The medallion is great to use OB. You just walk up to the bar or coffee counter and your info comes up on their screen to order your drinks.  You can, if you want, order on your phone, through your TV, or a waiter if you prefer. You do not need to carry your phone around.

We’ve used the Medallion on PCL since 2018, when they first started on the ships.

When a bar waiter takes your order, they can see your info also, or scan your medallion and take the order.

Or, the MDR will see your info when you go in for dinner.  The reservation that you have, etc.

We love the ocean medallion OB and it has so many advantages over the old fashioned card.  Most cruise lines do have a similar technology.  

You will use the medallion to scan getting on and off the ship. We wear a bracelet with the medallion in it and barely remember it’s on. 

The medallion is not the same as the App.  The App is just to check you

in for the cruise.

I say, if you’re having a lot of difficulty with the App, you might want to use the website version of the App to do your checkin. Or, email or call the ocean medallion IT team for help with the App.

Cruise personalizer>checkin>

(Just under the download Google Apple Bars)

There’s a blue hyperlink “Try our website version”

The phone entry has presented problems for some folks since the beginning.  They corrected some, but not all the glitches.

If you need help you can email:

Askoceanmedallion@carnival.com

Your full name

Ship and Sail date

Booking no

Device you are using

State exact problems you’re having

This is an excellent synopsis of the App versus the onboard experience. 

The second half of your post should be a sticky on the ways to get assistance with the App.

The only thing I would add (based on what I have read here) is that if the App gets the better of you, just show up at embarkation with your travel summary and the check-in personnel will set up the medallion and get your on board.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bill B said:

Medallion (cr)App! 😡

I gave Princess a shot over the holidays, it was an OK cruise.  But I'll be booking with other cruiselines in the future.  I'd rather cruise with a company who cares about their pax.   Princess has had YEARS to fix their blundering medallion system and they obviously don't care.  

• Like 1

Thank you PacknGoNow.  Will certainly give the medallion a go when on board.
I’ve already tried filling in details on both on the app and on the web using the blue hyperlink “Try our website version”.  Neither allows me to save anything.
When I have more time I may email and ask for help, thanks for the address.  At the moment I have a lot more travel arrangements to make and don’t intend to spend even more time playing around with this thing. 

As cappricio says, right now we’re planning to just get to the ship with our hard copy paperwork.  At least my ordering of the medallions was a breeze.

Jsn55 – yes!  It is patently obvious by the number of people posting on CC who are having problems (and who knows how many others who don’t post on here), that there is a big flaw.  Princess should acknowledge this and fix it.  It is mind boggling they've let this go on for years.

I will no doubt make use of the medallion when we cruise, but really when paying for drinks it's not much difference to the waiters scanning your cruise card on their iPads, and probably no quicker.

However  the main issue I will have with it is the extension they have made for it to be used to undermine the very essence of "Anytime Dining". Princess and most other lines, seem to be selling this up as a major advance in providing us with a slick way to guarantee we dine when we want, where we want. When really all it is doing is enabling them to reduce the number of MDR covers and cut the number of waiters which only benefits the cruise line. I  remember back when AD started, when there were more tables and waiters and you could turn up just when you wanted and be seated. Now it seems that most dining rooms have long queues, even if you have booked a time, and even longer waits if you haven't.

To me this is rather like self check out supermarket shopping, where the only winner is the supermarket.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Now it seems that most dining rooms have long queues, even if you have booked a time, and even longer waits if you haven't.

John - can you provide evidence that this happens on Princess ? 

23 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

I don't believe you have to.  I figure I have two good legs and can walk to a bar to order a drink!  Although DH usually does that for me. 

That is true. However when I'm in the Hot Tub and would like a cold drink it is way easier to order a drink through the Medallion than get out of tub and find a server or go to a bar! Lazy yes, but I'm on vacation and love the convivence. 

• Haha 1