How do you think the past 15 will change cruising as an industry going forward?

pokerguy90

Im interested in your opinions as to what cruising will become going forward?  Im thinking long term.  Because they can never recoup 16 months of loses.

what will the permanent changes most likely be for:

Dining

Entertainment

Onboard amenities

service

overall quality 

new ship design post covid

ect…

I think once the restart is complete the prices will likely be much higher as a result of the debt incurred over the last year and a half.  Not just cabins - alcohol and any of the other revenue generating areas.  They've got to get even/ahead somehow.

• Like 2

I'd say that the virtual muster drill and staff serving buffets are the first "permanent" changes.

I don't think we'll see a slow down in the amenities arms race. Cruising competes against every other form of tourism in some form or fashion. You may see a few things that go from being included to being extra-charge attractions "ahead of schedule".

It will be difficult for the industry financially for many years to deliver the returns to shareholders it did pre-2020. I doubt we'll see a shipbuilding frenzy in the second half of the 2020s, and older tonnage may remain in service longer. We'll see a continued emphasis on balcony cabins and exterior-facing public spaces, mainly because they produce more revenue. Automation to minimize crew levels may also begin to take place.

• Like 2

Pricing will be what the market will bear, not a penny more.  They can't just set prices astronomically high and fill the ship, supply and demand does not work that way.  Had there been money on the table before the pandemic they would have took it.

I think muster will change long term and that will be about it.  Everything will go back the way it was just as it day by day now.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hurricane0226 said:

I think the way they do boarding's and disembark will change and probably be permanent.  

I agree.  I believe all will be required to complete process online, have appt times and process to the ship at a specific appointment time.  However, non US will more than likely have an added in-person process when they arrive to verify their documents.  Getting off the ship will probably be the same in reverse. Of course, that is all a plan if there are no delays in ship arrival or any of the other possibilities that could delay a ship from arriving/departing.

4 hours ago, ray98 said:

Pricing will be what the market will bear, not a penny more.  They can't just set prices astronomically high and fill the ship, supply and demand does not work that way.  Had there been money on the table before the pandemic they would have took it.

I think muster will change long term and that will be about it.  Everything will go back the way it was just as it day by day now.

Yes, the law of supply and demand will always be there.

I think passengers will rebel if they try to bring back the real muster drills. 

Consider how the TSA has changed some of their security procedures over time since 2001. It will be the same way with cruising. Certain protocols currently in place will either be modified or dropped altogether when deemed as no longer necessary. For those of us that have been cruising for 20 years or longer, the protocols currently in place will take a little time to get used to. For those about to embark on their very first cruise, it probably won't seem like such a big deal. Will prices change? Possibly. Who knows? But, I don't believe it will be a huge increase. While I can understand each of the cruise lines trying to recoup some of their losses due to the pandemic, they also need to be careful not to scare off potential new cruisers on a tight budget.

Edited by beachbum53

55 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think passengers will rebel

if they try to bring back the real muster drills. 

I never had much problem with muster drill

but then I'm not one of those ppl who..

the drinking party starts as soon as I'm on board!

Yes, Muster Drill is a bit of a drag,

but the experience and knowledge gained

could come in handy some day!

• Like 1

I’m hoping as much as thinking that Carnival will continue to improve & expand their app options.  Notify when YTD is available instead of queueing.  Same with rides.  

Show what luggage #s are being called on the app to avoid the cattle herding.  Not allow folks in the elevator if their # not called.

Design newer ships with MORE (not less) open interior space.  Covid may not be an issue some day but there is always something contagious whose risk of contracting is heightened in a cruise environment.

More outdoor dining options (again requires some dedicated space but imagine a sail-away dining with a 4-course meal and a million $ view).

Edited by TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail
  • Like 2

I like this thread. It really makes you think.  (Well, let's be honest, the unexpected disruptions of 2020 have made us all think and re-think.)

I am, typically, not a buffet eater, but I do hope that the buffets never go back to self-serve.  I understand that requires more crew to staff it all, and that it could mean longer lines, but no one on a cruise is going hungry.

I hope the cruise lines factor in enough time between disembarking and then embarking to thoroughly clean.  I also hope they continue to clean more during the cruise.  This is about more than COVID.  Think about all of the norovirus issues that have happened over the years.

I don't think the cruise lines will be able to increase their prices by too much.  But that will definitely be a wait and see situation.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I think we will see more of the "ship within a ship" nonsense for the foreseeable future. Even Carnival has jumped on this bandwagon with the Mardi Gras. Personally, I think it's an experiment fad that will pass eventually, since that product exists elsewhere already, but in the meantime, it will be a good opportunity to increase revenue for the budget mass market lines by surging up premiums and capitalizing on egos. This trend has pushed me to breakdown and get passports for the family. Got an appointment in a few weeks. Not a fan of this concept and after our next three cruises, AI's will be back in the running for consideration. 

Edited by cruisingguy007

On 6/28/2021 at 5:30 AM, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Design newer ships with MORE (not less) open interior space.  Covid may not be an issue some day but there is always something contagious whose risk of contracting is heightened in a cruise environment.

More outdoor dining options (again requires some dedicated space but imagine a sail-away dining with a 4-course meal and a million $ view).

Good ideas to be sure but I just don't see this happening anytime soon with the way things are going. Ships only have so much square feet and as the trend to separate passengers under the guise of exclusivity continues, both sides end up with less space for more money. While the class system is actually a brilliant psychological marketing scheme, it's ultimately terrible for the consumer in the end. Ships are being built bigger and bigger, with more cabins to pack in more people, in less space.  If anything, they'll pack in more and more and try and up-sell you on "exclusivity purchase options" so that you have to pay to actually enjoy what you used to included (not free as many misstate). A la carte everything by dragging down the included options. Not sure why people want more pay options for everything on mass market AI cruise ships. It only incentivizes the cruise lines to reduce the quality of their product.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Good ideas to be sure but I just don't see this happening anytime soon with the way things are going. Ships only have so much square feet and as the trend to separate passengers under the guise of exclusivity continues, both sides end up with less space for more money. While the class system is actually a brilliant psychological marketing scheme, it's ultimately terrible for the consumer in the end. Ships are being built bigger and bigger, with more cabins to pack in more people, in less space.  If anything, they'll pack in more and more and try and up-sell you on "exclusivity purchase options" so that you have to pay to actually enjoy what you used to included (not free as many misstate). A la carte everything by dragging down the included options. Not sure why people want more pay options for everything on mass market AI cruise ships. It only incentivizes the cruise lines to reduce the quality of their product.  

I agree with everything you said…except I think in the short-term we will not have 100% sailings.  I had zero interest in sailing on Mardi Gras or that class anytime soon.  

I am booked on my first Vista class ship for September.  Would not have even booked that class but Havana seems wonderful.  So I spent a lot more (pre-covid) and rebooked same category (post-covid) because I want space.  Havana is a great compromise IMO.  But if the masses DO return & space-in-a-space prices me out, I’ll probably move to all-inclusive.  C’est la vie.

• Like 1