No more free internet for platinum & elite

10 hours ago, Ombud said:

Oh btw: no more loyalty OBC either.  That bugs me more than the loss of a incredibly slow internet that I had to use a work-around or wifi in ports 

That is a true loss and I can't believe that more aren't complaining about that. I guess more were affected by the WiFi change.

1 hour ago, 007colocruz said:

I knew right away from reading it on here. I usually get notices, but recently had issue with my Alaska cruise cancelled in error by Princess. 

Oh dear! Did you get the cancelled cruise corrected?!

7 hours ago, 1965 said:

Oh dear! Did you get the cancelled cruise corrected?!

Yes, through Customer Relations gave me an email to get it sorted out - took full refund & booked for next fall instead 

I usually get emails from Princess, just no notice about loss of elite benefits this time. No problem as I check cc once a week 

21 hours ago, 007colocruz said:

No I was not told either. Have booked with TA and also directly with Princess. 3 cruises booked- no notice as elites. 

23 hours ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

I am disappointed to learn of the loss of our free internet minutes for being Platinum.  They worked fine for our needs and we did not have speed issues.  Those who want unlimited internet should have been able to swap their free minutes for the new $5 a day plan.  The free minutes were a perk we valued and we were not informed by Princess that this perk was removed.  Poor customer relations.  

Although Princess did not send out a notice saying they were taking away this and that, they did publish notice of the new benefits and reading that one would realize the changes - hopefully.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That is a true loss and I can't believe that more aren't complaining about that. I guess more were affected by the WiFi change.

CC members did complain loud and long several months ago.  This is an old thread and most people did their venting already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The bottom line is that Princess internet is no longer minute based, and doing it by the minute only for the perk was creating problems and many visits to internet Cafe.

What I think they should do is give the Platinum and Elite cruisers a flat amount of credit (for example $5 /day toward internet service to use as they wish...by the package or by the day. Solved. 😀

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, donswife said:

The bottom line is that Princess internet is no longer minute based, and doing it by the minute only for the perk was creating problems and many visits to internet Cafe.

What I think they should do is give the Platinum and Elite cruisers a flat amount of credit (for example $5 /day toward internet service to use as they wish...by the package or by the day. Solved. 😀

Sorry, too good not to comment:  They "DO" give you $5 a day OBC toward your internet service....After you pay them $10/day.  🤑

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Sorry, too good not to comment:  They "DO" give you $5 a day OBC toward your internet service....After you pay them $10/day.  🤑

😄 Of course.  I just think that they should give the option to use that credit to get a couple of days totally free instead of having to buy for the whole trip.

• Like 3

How important that perk was depends on how long you are on the ship and how often you need internet access. We are booked for a 35-day B2B next year so to buy their $10 a day plan would cost us $175, after the 50% discount. The minutes we received FREE under the old plan would have been plenty to allow us to check our email occasionally and print boarding passes for the flight home. So, I agree that another option should be offered rather than having to pay for every day whether you use it or not.

• Like 3

Unfortunately I don't see that happening. But maybe it will become possible to buy one single 24 hr block at a much higher cost than the $15 day without an elite discount although there's no incentive from their side to do so. Especially if other Carnival Corp lines don't offer it

Suite pax might be able to get help downloading their digital airline boarding passes or printing them off

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

Unfortunately I don't see that happening. But maybe it will become possible to buy one single 24 hr block at a much higher cost than the $15 day without an elite discount although there's no incentive from their side to do so. Especially if other Carnival Corp lines don't offer it

Suite pax might be able to get help downloading their digital airline boarding passes or printing them off

I have previously posted that individual days can be purchased for $20/day - or double the daily cost for the full voyage if bought in advance.  Guest should just figure if they want internet for less or more than 50% of voyage days and they will know which is the best deal.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I have previously posted that individual days can be purchased for $20/day - or double the daily cost for the full voyage if bought in advance.  Guest should just figure if they want internet for less or more than 50% of voyage days and they will know which is the best deal.

My pvp has added the wifi pkg to our Nov. booking. We will cruise as elite for the 1st time. I'll take my 50% discount, enjoy unlimited wifi, & put the pre covid way of cruising behind me. Those days are gone. Free minutes are gone. I'm moving forward.

• Like 5

People don't like change. But it happened. Fortunately for the cruise lines, there was a significant break in service so massive change could happen. Now people need to figure out if they can go with it or need to find new ways to travel. And IMO that's what's going on.  And yeah, mistakes were made. Like moving everything to the app without a desktop alternative. That's being corrected before most even sail. 

All told, it didn't feel that different onboard last month. Water's still fine, ship's still beautiful, balcony view's still relaxing. And I still cannot wait until I go again

Adding: cruising isn't the only thing that the pandemic changed. I eat in a parklet, show vaxed status for ball games & services, businesses are struggling, and it goes on. Paying $5 a day for internet & losing loyalty obc pales by comparison 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 7

I did call Princess about the internet discount for Platinum and Elite.  The lady I spoke with confirmed you need to purchase it over the phone (she suggested do so at least 5 days before the cruise).  $10 for one device, unlimited service on your cruise or $20 for up to 4 devices, unlimited.  50% discount in obc will appear on your folio once you are on board.  

1 hour ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

I did call Princess about the internet discount for Platinum and Elite.  The lady I spoke with confirmed you need to purchase it over the phone (she suggested do so at least 5 days before the cruise).  $10 for one device, unlimited service on your cruise or $20 for up to 4 devices, unlimited.  50% discount in obc will appear on your folio once you are on board.  

You can order it in MC App now, effective with the Sep upgrade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donswife said:

I have another idea! If 2 platinum/elite passengers are sharing a booking,  they should be allowed to combine their 50% discount and get one wifi for free 😁. What is Jan's email address? I'll pitch it to her 😃.

They already can but if only 1 wants to be on internet at a time when purchasing single device or up to 4 people when purchasing multiple device. That has not changed. The ONLY 2 things that changed are (1) it's not by minutes (2) no freebie for PES. You still don't need it to be on intranet

2 hours ago, donswife said:

I have another idea! If 2 platinum/elite passengers are sharing a booking,  they should be allowed to combine their 50% discount and get one wifi for free 😁. What is Jan's email address? I'll pitch it to her 😃.

Donswife - Get busy pitching that! Lol. 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

They already can but if only 1 wants to be on internet at a time when purchasing single device or up to 4 people when purchasing multiple device. That has not changed. The ONLY 2 things that changed are (1) it's not by minutes (2) no freebie for PES. You still don't need it to be on intranet

So you are saying that since DH and I are both platinum, we will both get 50% of the single device internet cost back? We don't plan to be using it a bunch, but need to stay accessible.

1 hour ago, donswife said:

So you are saying that since DH and I are both platinum, we will both get 50% of the single device internet cost back? We don't plan to be using it a bunch, but need to stay accessible.

What I'm saying is:

> Donswife buys internet pkg for $10 day and gets $5 day back to their merged onboard billing account in refundable OBC. They both spend (maybe Donswife more than Don IDK)

> Donswife sets up internet

> Don logs onto intranet for free to do everything on MedallionClass app, does not use device to connect to internet (ie: email, web browsing) yet

> Don wants to go on internet 1 or 2 or more times or even daily to check personal email

> Donswife logs off internet, connects to intranet to use MedallionClass app free of charge

> Don logs on internet under her screen name

> Don logs off & Donswife logs back on internet when desired

> Don reconnects to intranet to use MedallionClass app free of charge

> since both accounts are merged in Shipboard Accounting, any charges / credits under either account will be shared

Adding definitions:

Intranet - restricted network within an organization (ie: ship)

Internet - what you're using now

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1