No more free internet for platinum & elite

2 hours ago, Loreni said:

My belief is that Princess was trying to shed their older, experienced cruisers pre-pandemic.  

Maybe it is for the best that some of us reconsider if Princess is still a good fit.  DH and I do not like the design of the newer ships.  He calls them clip ships….   

It sounds like Princess is definitely no longer a good fit for you. As for my DH & me, it is still the perfect fit. I sincerely hope you find the right fit. 😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Loreni said:

My belief is that Princess was trying to shed their older, experienced cruisers pre-pandemic.  The pandemic gives them cover to do so in a big way.  If this was just about directly saving money, why has priority boarding been taken away from Platinum and Elite.  This would cost nothing to provide.  Taking it away does, however,  send an unambiguous signal.  Message received.

Princess obviously believes they will be better off financially without their most loyal cruisers.  Yet I wonder if there are enough younger people who want to cruise, both in general and specifically with Princess, to replace the older cruisers they wish to shed.  Maybe it is for the best that some of us reconsider if Princess is still a good fit.  DH and I do not like the design of the newer ships.  He calls them clip ships…. because of the elimination of balcony furniture (lounge chairs and decent tables), tiny balconies, and no promenades.  You can’t easily spend money while sitting comfortably on your balcony or on the promenade deck.  Gotta get inside where you can drink and gamble and shop…on the clip ship. Of course inside is the worst place to be for corona transmission.  

My new way of thinking is that Princess' new, larger ships are ok for TAs but will shop other lines for port intensive journeys.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Loreni said:

If this was just about directly saving money, why has priority boarding been taken away from Platinum and Elite.  This would cost nothing to provide.  Taking it away does, however,  send an unambiguous signal.  Message received.

Do we know for sure that there is no longer priority boarding? Is that the same for tenders as well?

27 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Do we know for sure that there is no longer priority boarding?

By reading the recent "Live" Alaska threads it appears that there has been an "Elite" boarding lane/area?  Maybe someone on the recent cruises can confirm or deny this???

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Do we know for sure that there is no longer priority boarding? Is that the same for tenders as well?

What I was told by Princess is that technically there is still Priority Boarding however it’s different than previously.

It’s no longer to arrive when desired to board first but is now PB within Arrival Group. If only later Mid & Late groups are available we’d get PB within that group. Thus a first time Princess passenger who became aware of assignments being available to book could be first to board & loyal passengers who got an assignment later could be in the last Late group.

That’s not the definition of Priority Boarding to me.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

By reading the recent "Live" Alaska threads it appears that there has been an "Elite" boarding lane/area?  Maybe someone on the recent cruises can confirm or deny this???

Just home from the Majestic. We arrived early, before first boarding.  As elites, we were seated in a separate area (no snacks or drinks). When boarding started we were first to board, after those needing  wheelchair/assist. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Loreni said:

why has priority boarding been taken away from Platinum and Elite

They did not take this away.  However, certain people at PCL misunderstood this feature and how it worked for people.  They had the position at first to offer priority within arrival groups, but that is bogus and doesn't mean a thing since people just board the ship after check-in and check-in was scheduled after ship open for boarding.

2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

NO change to tenders.  There is priority boarding.  Show up early, get checked-in and there is a waiting area as before where Suites & Elites are called first.

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

Yes, this was reported - especially beginning after the first voyage where things were not well established.

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Following

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

What I was told by Princess is that technically there is still Priority Boarding however it’s different than previously.

It’s no longer to arrive when desired to board first but is now PB within Arrival Group. If only later Mid & Late groups are available we’d get PB within that group. Thus a first time Princess passenger who became aware of assignments being available to book could be first to board & loyal passengers who got an assignment later could be in the last Late group.

That’s not the definition of Priority Boarding to me.

Yes, PCL provided this response which was absolutely not priority boarding as you stipulated. 

Since the start up, it seems people are showing up, arrival group not being checked, terminal is opening well ahead of 11:30 to begin check-in, and eligible guests are seated in the designated area and are called to board first.

Once general boarding has commenced, folks just stream onto the ship as they complete check-in and it has not even been clear there is a priority check-in desk.  

It will be interesting to see how the process is run in Port Everglades once that starts up.

BTW, Princess has the ability to alter arrival group times, alter the number of arrival groups, and alter the number of guests allowed to fill an arrival group time slot.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, PCL provided this response which was absolutely not priority boarding as you stipulated. 

Since the start up, it seems people are showing up, arrival group not being checked, terminal is opening well ahead of 11:30 to begin check-in, and eligible guests are seated in the designated area and are called to board first.

Once general boarding has commenced, folks just stream onto the ship as they complete check-in and it has not even been clear there is a priority check-in desk.  

It will be interesting to see how the process is run in Port Everglades once that starts up.

BTW, Princess has the ability to alter arrival group times, alter the number of arrival groups, and alter the number of guests allowed to fill an arrival group time slot.  

While that’s the way it’s being done in Seattle, I would expect they’ll eventually follow there stated policy of not allowing passengers to enter the terminal until it’s their Arrival Group’s time. Last night we got an Early Group A boarding time (1130-1200) from LA for our late October cruise. 👍😊

What if I arrive at the terminal before my assigned time?

If you come to the terminal before your arrival time, you will be asked to wait away from the terminal until you are permitted to enter during your specified arrival time.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:54 AM, Steelers36 said:

Did someone at Princess tell you individual days can no longer be booked?  IDK - I think we have to see once ships set sail as this wasn't the case before.

Oh dear 

No offence folks but I have just read 18 pages of this thread with cruisers threatening mutiny, jumping ships and generally being offended by a charge of five bucks a day for decent internet (or less than a beer)

I have been a victim of elite minutes and unlimited fast internet for $5 a day at sea is an absolute bargain 

How about we demand that all the whiners should have their slooow free minutes reinstated while the rest of us enjoy either unlimited fast internet for $5 a day or enjoy the value of Princess plus 

There is no Platinum/Elite perk lost here

we have finally gained decent connectivity at considerable expense for the provider (Princess ) and they are offering it to plat/elite for a pittance

Really if you whinge about discounted  $5 a day for a vastly improved service.

i don’t want you on my dinner table

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 9/13/2021 at 6:28 AM, Jadn13 said:

For me in the past the 10% elite benefit  plus duty free was a good deal for Make up purchases. I saved a decent amount compared to the cost at my Macys/Sephora.

The internet was a great benefit and I’ll miss it but I’m going to make the most out of what is being offered. 
Happy Cruising! 

My wife was shopping for a bag on Royal Caribbean. We had the unlimited internet package. She price compared what the ship was offering and what was on sale with a friends and family coupon at Macy's. It was cheaper at Macy's so she ordered it online while we were in the store on the ship. I did the same thing with a watch. I would purchase unlimited even if I had the free minutes available to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpatter said:

Oh dear 

No offence folks but I have just read 18 pages of this thread with cruisers threatening mutiny, jumping ships and generally being offended by a charge of five bucks a day for decent internet (or less than a beer)

I have been a victim of elite minutes and unlimited fast internet for $5 a day at sea is an absolute bargain 

How about we demand that all the whiners should have their slooow free minutes reinstated while the rest of us enjoy either unlimited fast internet for $5 a day or enjoy the value of Princess plus 

we have finally gained decent connectivity at considerable expense for the provider (Princess ) and they are offering it to plat/elite for a pittance

The irony is that many of these people are paying thousands for a 30 day cruises which amounts to $150 for unlimited fast speed wifi.  However, these are the same people who are still communicating via email and checking in for flights through a website and not an App so the free slow minutes work for them.  What they don't realize is that Princess is building for the future passengers who won't stand for old or nonexistent technology.  I remember paying $150 for 90 slow minutes before I became platinum.

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 hours ago, Peterpatter said:

Oh dear 

I respect your point of view, but I fail to comprehend why you picked a two-month old post of mine to respond to which had nothing to do with complaining about the loss of the free minutes benefit.  In fact, I have never posted a complaint about this loss. 

4 hours ago, Peterpatter said:

Oh dear 

Sorry to disappoint you ... but my free plat/elite minutes had NOT been slow for 3-4 years now ... so I was disappointed to lose them. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The irony is that many of these people are paying thousands for a 30 day cruises which amounts to $150 for unlimited fast speed wifi. 

That would be great if there was fast speed WIFI.

But the threads on the current Alaska cruises report very low speeds for Internet. So they are paying $$$ for speeds no better than when the platinum/elite minutes were free.

Yes, at certain latitudes high speed is not available, but Princess charges the same $$$ for slow speed as for fast speed.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

But the threads on the current Alaska cruises report very low speeds for Internet. So they are paying $$$ for speeds no better than when the platinum/elite minutes were free.

Yes, at certain latitudes high speed is not available, but Princess charges the same $$$ for slow speed as for fast speed.

Maybe Princess should establish latitudinal wifi pricing ... a sliding scale based on speed and location.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, caribill said:

You would be burning all of your free minutes faster under those conditions as well.  Everyone knows that the wifi can be hit or miss on a cruise ship whether it's free or for a charge.  Years ago I purchased Wifi on a Celebrity reposition cruise San Juan to Cape Liberty. Paid a ridiculous price for 90 minutes. I couldn't log in all week and the internet manager went into hiding. I would have pitched a ***** but  because of a hole in the firewall we were able to text each other on board and family at home for free so I didn't bother. Texting worked out better for us than the email communication we would have to do.

• Like 1

This thread is getting as boring as the barrel/tub chair and pat of butter threads.  Run its life.

I have been Elite since 2009 and don't really care about losing the free internet, we rarely used it all anyway. It is cheap enough to buy in the package.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

I am disappointed to learn of the loss of our free internet minutes for being Platinum.  They worked fine for our needs and we did not have speed issues.  Those who want unlimited internet should have been able to swap their free minutes for the new $5 a day plan.  The free minutes were a perk we valued and we were not informed by Princess that this perk was removed.  Poor customer relations.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

@Suncitycruiser1925 I was notified by Princess & confirmed by my PVP. Do you book independently, with a PVP, or a TA? Wondering why you weren't told. 

Oh btw: no more loyalty OBC either.  That bugs me more than the loss of a incredibly slow internet that I had to use a work-around or wifi in ports 

No I was not told either. Have booked with TA and also directly with Princess. 3 cruises booked- no notice as elites. 

34 minutes ago, 007colocruz said:

No I was not told either. Have booked with TA and also directly with Princess. 3 cruises booked- no notice as elites. 

Wow. They really dropped the ball (I was only notified on the booked cruise)