2022 Alaskan cruise cancelled!!!!

Cruise Suzy

Received this 3 minutes ago from my TA:

Hi,

I  just found out that your cruise on the Oosterdam  departing  July 17, 2022 was cancelled last night.   They will be sending out more information regarding this in 48-72 hours.  So as soon as I hear more I will advise you.

Based on published schedules for Fall 2022 to Spring 2023 I have been assuming that Oosterdam and Westerdam will be swapped for the summer 2022 season with Westerdam replacing Oosterdam in Alaska and Oosterdam replacing Westerdam in Europe. Perhaps this is an indication that is happening?  Also it could be a charter forcing cancellation of that specific sailing. 

• Like 1

Update - I just checked the travel agent booking system and Oostedams entire Alaska season has been removed as has Westerdams entire European season. I’m fairly confident you can expect a ship swap notice soon moving you to Westerdam for same sailing date/cabin/perks with a new reservation #. 

Other than a few decor differences, the layout/amenities/cabins of the two vessels are identical. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Update - I just checked the travel agent booking system and Oostedams entire Alaska season has been removed as has Westerdams entire European season. I’m fairly confident you can expect a ship swap notice soon moving you to Westerdam for same sailing date/cabin/perks with a new reservation #. 

Other than a few decor differences, the layout/amenities/cabins of the two vessels are identical. 

Thanks. That makes sense as both Oosterdam and Westerdam are showing no cruises for late spring to early fall 2022.

29 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Which begs the question of why create all that booking turmoil to swap virtually identical ships?

There could be a lot of operational/logistical considerations we as consumers are unaware of.  Additional projected cancellations through Spring 2022 for Asia, Australia and South America, new itineraries/deployments for one or both vessels prior to the start of the Alaska/Europe seasons for 2022 , current locations of vessels related to projected re-entry to service (Oosterdam has been hanging out in Europe and Westerdam off US West coast), mechanical inspections/drydocks required for re-entry to service and availability of facilities relative to their current locations, and the list goes on.  

Little is settled or firm in the current environment and I expect ALL cruise lines to have redeployments/ship swaps of some sort cascading through at least mid 2023.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

37 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Which begs the question of why create all that booking turmoil to swap virtually identical ships?

When we were switched from one ship to another,  all new booking numbers and reservations were created, although we were never officially "canceled". Could easily be the requirements of the assigning/booking system. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 2:02 PM, kazu said:

HAL has published the listing of the replacement cruises for the Westerdam on the Oosterdam - https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/News/cruise-pause/070621_Pause_Impacted_Itineraries.pdf

Thanks for the link and post Jacqui.   They are identical ships and the switch can be made without a problem. 

It is really surprising they can’t do this without causing panic and confusion. I understand they may have to cancel the cruises to put on a new ship due to IT limitations, but how hard is it to send an email before you do that saying “hey we are doing a ship swap to an identical ship. You may get an email that your booking is cancelled, don’t worry everything including your cabin number will transfer over”

• Like 4

We were notified yesterday our May 2022 Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam has been moved to the Westerdam.  Apparently everything is staying exactly the same otherwise.  That's a good thing since we already have our airline tickets booked.

On 7/7/2021 at 10:57 AM, KirkNC said:

Simple answer is that HAL/Princess/Seabourn works with voyage numbers rather than passenger ships and sailing dates.. Each voyage number is assigned to a specific ship. So in switching ships they must assign you a new reservation number that will line up with the new voyage number. This is totally different than what NCL, RCCL, Celebrity does where when there is a change things are actually much easier since your reservation number does not change. It can be moved numerous time until you have finally sailed using that reservation number.

On 7/7/2021 at 10:57 AM, KirkNC said:

The reason is probably a savings of more than $500,000. The Oosterdam is in Amsterdam and the Westerdam is in Cabo San Lucas. They both would have to go through the Panama Canal to do the cruises they were orginally booked for. 

The Westerdam’s South America Cruises were cancelled if I remember correctly. The Westie would have gone from South America to Europe. And the Oosterdam’s Australia and NZ cruises were cancelled. And the Oostie would have gone from TP to Alaska.

Edited by Storylady

21 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Simple answer is that HAL/Princess/Seabourn works with voyage numbers rather than passenger ships and sailing dates.. Each voyage number is assigned to a specific ship. So in switching ships they must assign you a new reservation number that will line up with the new voyage number. This is totally different than what NCL, RCCL, Celebrity does where when there is a change things are actually much easier since your reservation number does not change. It can be moved numerous time until you have finally sailed using that reservation number.

NCL, RCCL & Celebrity’s method sounds a whole lot simpler and more practical to me.  Thanks Lisa. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 12:26 PM, Cruise Suzy said:

Received this 3 minutes ago from my TA:

Hi,

I  just found out that your cruise on the Oosterdam  departing  July 17, 2022 was cancelled last night.   They will be sending out more information regarding this in 48-72 hours.  So as soon as I hear more I will advise you.

The Oosterdam will be in Europe and is replaced buy the Westerdam

21 hours ago, Storylady said:

The reason is probably a savings of more than $500,000. The Oosterdam is in Amsterdam and the Westerdam is in Cabo San Lucas. They both would have to go through the Panama Canal to do the cruises they were orginally booked for. 

The Westerdam’s South America Cruises were cancelled if I remember correctly. The Westie would have gone from South America to Europe. And the Oosterdam’s Australia and NZ cruises were cancelled. And the Oostie would have gone from TP to Alaska.

That makes perfect sense and explains the switch.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Storylady said:

The 2022 South America cruises haven't been cancelled. I'm on one of them. To me, it makes sense to cancel those cruises with the current situation in Argentina and Chile regarding covid.  I do wish they would just go ahead and do it so that we could make other travel plans. That being said your logic makes complete sense to me. 

1 hour ago, mtnlvr53 said:

The 2022 South America cruises haven't been cancelled. I'm on one of them. To me, it makes sense to cancel those cruises with the current situation in Argentina and Chile regarding covid.  I do wish they would just go ahead and do it so that we could make other travel plans. That being said your logic makes complete sense to me. 

I was referring to 2021 cruises to South America. I suspect more SA cancellations will be announced.

2021 Cruises to Asia, Australia and South America Canceled

While Holland America Line continues to work with governments and port authorities in coordination with the phased resumption of cruising in other areas of the world, the company is canceling cruises in Asia, Australia and New Zealand and South America through the remainder of 2021, along with the Collectors’ Voyages (combined cruises) associated with those departures. This affects itineraries on Noordam (Asia), Oosterdam (Australia) and Westerdam (South America). In addition, fall sailings through the end of 2021 on Volendam and Zaandam also are cancelled”