Good News!! Judge Merryday denies CDC request to keep COVID-19 cruise rules in place during appeal

A federal judge denied a request Wednesday from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to keep its COVID-19 safety regulations for Florida cruises in effect, clearing the path for them to turn into simply recommendations on July 18.

Judge denies CDC request to keep COVID-19 cruise rules in place during appeal

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

There's another thread discussing this already. But it's not exactly shocking that a judge upheld an injunction that they themselves put in place. It's the next level's decision (or lack of one) that you need to watch for.

• Like 2

I don’t know yet if it is good news for RCI to be allowed to determine my public health policy. I need to wait and see before I decide if I am canceling my October cruise.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

A federal judge denied a request Wednesday from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to keep its COVID-19 safety regulations for Florida cruises in effect, clearing the path for them to turn into simply recommendations on July 18.

Good news. I’m curious to see what Royal will do.

I think this is a good thing as it makes the cdc have to respond if they want to keep the cso in p,ace. So far they are just stalling from what I see and doing nothing to justify the cruise protocols. Imagine that a govt agency having to justify their decisions based on science. Tired of cdc stalling games. Their hand had to be forced. 

• Like 6

I believe this only affects Florida’s ports. The CSO stands for the other American ports…for now.  Other than “test cruises”, I have my doubts this will change Royal’s current policies as they need a healthy ship

• Like 3

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Does that mean that Royal does not have to follow the mask mandate that the CC has in effect for public transportation until mid September?

I’m hoping they at least do away with mask requirements for vaccinated cruisers. 

• Like 5

I think the CDC made a mistake appealing and that they would have had a better outcome if they had taken the other choice that Judge Merryday had given them to make a more narrowly tailored CSO.

I have confidence in RCL because they want to sail safely in order to be successful.   I already have other vacation plans for this summer but if I hadnt, I would definitely have sailed them rather than Carnival.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

How would you like cruising to change as a result of this ruling?  What makes this good news - how does it help us?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CruiserRob said:

How would you like cruising to change as a result of this ruling?  What makes this good news - how does it help us?

It doesn't. You really think cruise lines want to be responsible for the next outbreak? USA is not the only country going through a pandemic, THE WHOLE WORLD IS.  They will still require mask mandates and such for the unproven/unvaccinated as will ports of call.

Edited by Jtd724
  • Like 6