JULY AND AUGUST ONLY: Unvaccinated ages 2 and up - mandatory covid test ($150 each)

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

The good thing is that there is plenty to do in Florida.  We had already decided to keep our flights if our cruise ended up being cancelled and just enjoy a Florida vacation.

That is what we are doing.  We are extending our stay at Disney and adding Universal Studios  as well.  We are going to have some relaxing resort days and a day trip to Tampa / Clearwater.  What I hate is the thought of our Thanksgiving cruise going out normal and no restrictions after we cancelled thinking there will be a lot of restrictions.  LOL!  Some people say to wait and see but cabins for future dates are disappearing quick.  I don't want to end up with two interior cabins for $10K.  lol

• Like 2

and I already paid $2000 for our flights to Orlando so will make the best of it.  Will have to book flights to Orlando again in March now with the rebooked cruise so that is another $2000.  So this move will cost me more than $6000 in total probably.  All for the love of cruising.  ha ha

6 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Very true.  What parent would want to do that to their small children twice just to cruise?  Sounds selfish to me.  Big reason we moved our cruise to March and will be waving goodbye to the MG on 11/20 from the sidelines since we already have flights booked and hotel.  Will make the best of it.  Glad we can afford the extra few thousand to move the cruise to a later date - even though we had to downgrade our cabin.  Never thought I would pay $7000 for an interior and one balcony on the upper section of a ship.  BRUTAL!  lol  Paid more for an interior than I did the balcony.

So glad I didn't play the FCC game.  I booked MG for 2/13/21 way back in summer 2019 with a fully refundable deposit fare.  When final payment arrived in November 2020, I just took the refund and moved on... to Disney parks... where the whole family can go without a vax, without a test, and without a mask.  Looking into all-inclusives in Mexico for another trip but not pulling the trigger until the testing requirement goes away.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Very true.  What parent would want to do that to their small children twice just to cruise?  Sounds selfish to me.  Big reason we moved our cruise to March and will be waving goodbye to the MG on 11/20 from the sidelines since we already have flights booked and hotel.  Will make the best of it.  Glad we can afford the extra few thousand to move the cruise to a later date - even though we had to downgrade our cabin.  Never thought I would pay $7000 for an interior and one balcony on the upper section of a ship.  BRUTAL!  lol  Paid more for an interior than I did the balcony.

It's spring break time during that time. I thought my 2024 March cruise was ridiculous at $5100 for a balcony and an inside. $7K is yikes (unless that's all in with grats, insurance, flights etc) 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

Just now, jfunk138 said:

So glad I didn't play the FCC game.  I booked MG for 2/13/21 way back in summer 2019 with a fully refundable deposit fare.  When final payment arrived in November 2020, I just took the refund and moved on... to Disney parks... where the whole family can go without a vax, without a test, and without a mask.  Looking into all-inclusives in Mexico for another trip but not pulling the trigger until the testing requirement goes away.

Part of me is thinking about taking the refund.  Might be a good time to give Disney cruises a try and maybe cruise on Carnival again in 10 years or so.  We have a Royal C cruise booked for Nov 2022.  Love all inclusives in Mexico - way cheaper than cruising for sure.  

6 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

All those Carnival shares and $150 will hurt you? Somethings not adding up. 

What's not adding up? I have a one year old and I feel like she should not be included in the nonsense. She is a baby she wont even be two years old when I sail.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

That is what we are doing.  We are extending our stay at Disney and adding Universal Studios  as well.  We are going to have some relaxing resort days and a day trip to Tampa / Clearwater.  What I hate is the thought of our Thanksgiving cruise going out normal and no restrictions after we cancelled thinking there will be a lot of restrictions.  LOL!  Some people say to wait and see but cabins for future dates are disappearing quick.  I don't want to end up with two interior cabins for $10K.  lol

It really was a toss up 50/50 decision.  At least you are able to make solid plans and kids love Disney and Universal.  We've been to Busch Gardens in Tampa and had a great time.  We've had many years of doing those things while the kids were growing up, so really it's a win as far as vacations.  Not the same as a cruise, but at least you have a better chance having a nice cruise in March.  Maybe even no masks or bubble tours!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It's spring break time during that time. I thought my 2024 March cruise was ridiculous at $5100 for a balcony and an inside. $7K is yikes (unless that's all in with grats, insurance, etc) 

Yeah but I am going from a Spring Break 2020 to a Thanksgiving 2021 to a March 2022 cruise.  March 2022 is three times higher than the Spring Break 2020 cruise and that is going from balcony to interior.  LMAO!  March 2022 cruise is a couple thousand more than the Thanksgiving week cruise and going from balcony to interior.  That is not with gratuities or insurance or anything other than cruise fare.  Yep.  Crazy times!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Yeah but I am going from a Spring Break 2020 to a Thanksgiving 2021 to a March 2022 cruise.  March 2022 is three times higher than the Spring Break 2020 cruise and that is going from balcony to interior.  LMAO!  March 2022 cruise is a couple thousand more than the Thanksgiving week cruise and going from balcony to interior.  That is not with gratuities or insurance or anything other than cruise fare.  Yep.  Crazy times!  

Couple thousand more AND interior vs balcony?  Steep.

Edited by cmukid87
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BrotherCraig said:

They are hitting up charges for sure. I booked it to snag the cabins I wanted but hope it comes down during a sale or something so I can use early save and get the price adjusted. It's usually around $3500-$3800 for the same cabins during normal times (I actually have the same same cabins in April 2023). Hoping it drops back into that range somewhere and/or snag some more OBC to offset cost.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

They are hitting up charges for sure. I booked it to snag the cabins I wanted but hope it comes down during a sale or something so I can use early save and get the price adjusted. It's usually around $3500-$3800 for the same cabins during normal times (I actually have the same same cabins in April 2023). Hoping it drops back into that range somewhere and/or snag some more OBC to offset cost.  

Yeah.  That would be great.

We have $1600 OBC right now for March 2022 Mardi Gras so that is one reason we haven't went for the refund.  Hate to lose that.  Good luck with the price drops.  Hope it happens.

• Like 1

$150 struck me as high.  Probably because we have been getting them on land for free.

I've been following the river cruise forum here and one of the first Americans on ship in Europe.  She got the embarkation test free, the midweek test free, but €132 for her debarkation test. So $156. It could be paid for with OBC.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Part of me is thinking about taking the refund.  Might be a good time to give Disney cruises a try and maybe cruise on Carnival again in 10 years or so.  We have a Royal C cruise booked for Nov 2022.  Love all inclusives in Mexico - way cheaper than cruising for sure.  

Carnival value will return IMO. It just may take awhile to wash out all that OBC that people took advantage of. A few years at most. I'm also getting passports for the family to be able to utilize the AI's as well. I have been seeing some great deals and I expect some cheap flights once the airlines resume and fully ramp up again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stellarose said:

I bit the bullet and paid for late December flights. I hope all goes well and MG sails. 

MG will sail.  All good vibes.  Hope the CDC relaxes more and let this virus dwindle down to just the sniffles.  

Just now, BrotherCraig said:

MG will sail.  All good vibes.  Hope the CDC relaxes more and let this virus dwindle down to just the sniffles.  

Man you have gone through a lot of changes, I'm sorry and hope you have a fun vacation regardless of where you end up!  I just have the one for Thanksgiving, that I finally scheduled because I thought all of this would be over.  Reading all the nonsense here is really making me want to throw my hands up and say to heck with cruises and move on to something else.  There is just too much hoop jumping and I'm not sure I want to participate.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

I just looked at the most expensive week in March 2022 on the Mardi Gras, for 2 adults, 2 children, in the most expensive balcony. It is $4,600. I don't know who makes up your party, but for 4 people in the most expensive balcony, that is about the going rate.

4 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I just looked at the most expensive week in March 2022 on the Mardi Gras, for 2 adults, 2 children, in the most expensive balcony. It is $4,600. I don't know who makes up your party, but for 4 people in the most expensive balcony, that is about the going rate.

We have two cabins.  6 people.  We are going from two balconies on the MG together for right at $5920.44 and going to one balcony with an interior cabin across for around $7000.  Just cruise fare and taxes.

Will have $1400 OBC though.

Have to pay $2000 for flights again so there is that added cost.

Edited by BrotherCraig

6 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

and I already paid $2000 for our flights to Orlando so will make the best of it.  Will have to book flights to Orlando again in March now with the rebooked cruise so that is another $2000.  So this move will cost me more than $6000 in total probably.  All for the love of cruising.  ha ha

You can’t just get the original flight moved? My ticket to Orlando next month was originally my ticket to Miami last august.

9 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I started cruising after the Concordia disaster when the prices fell through the floor. It seems that cruise pricing is coming back to what it once was: expensive and not a budget vacation. It's like buying a horse: booking the cruise is the cheap part. It's all the extras that add up, to include this testing. Cruising isn't a one-size-fits all venture. I've expected prices to balloon and here we are. Inflation and all that.

Yeah having done two AI’s recently, I can say the cruise is not a budget vacation..at least not for a solo traveler. Maybe if you’re packing 4 people in a room. But I’ve been going to brand new resorts and getting huge rooms with a swimout or a hot tub and an ocean view with flights and airport transportation and internet and alcohol and specialty restaurants included….all for the same price I pay for just an interior room on a newer carnival ship before I pay for cheers and internet and specialty restaurants and flights and airport transportation.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 4:40 PM, JohnMI said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  I got an email that said that unvaccinated would have to pay for the test, but I don't remember it being only $50...

Why do we have to pay anything at all to begin with (whether it $50, or $500, or $5,000, or whatever) for controlling our lives? I even do not want to pay when I really suck (I’ve never went to a doctor or a hospital unless I break something like I broke 5 ribs during one of my cruise couple years ago, so I payed $35 to visit an Urgent Care).