JULY AND AUGUST ONLY: Unvaccinated ages 2 and up - mandatory covid test ($150 each)

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yes, it does.  It also feels like they might be preparing to open up cruising for all maybe in September and want to make it safer for everyone.  I think it's reasonable for them to require a covid test before boarding.  That is the smart way to go for the unvaccinated.  I know people really want to cruise, but this summer is not an easy time for those who are cruising with unvaccinated family members between the testing, travel insurance, bubble tours, and mask requirements.

Yeah.  I agree once again with you.

We cruise in November (thanksgiving cruise - Mardi Gras) and we hope things will be better then. We had our March 2020 cancelled and then we moved and moved and moved again.  I won't move again this time.  Over $6000 (5 of us)  just with cruise fare and taxes for this one coming up and I will get the refund this time around and get on Disney.  About the same price.  Might as well.  Really looking forward to the Mardi Gras and hope it works out.  Our kids talk about it EVERY DAY so they are excited.  

Edited by BrotherCraig
  • Like 1

Not cool to walk back on requiring fees for the testing of $150/per person, my exemption approval letter clearly states that the testing and administration fee of $50 per person, which we will waive for guests sailing in July and August!  First a huge jump from $50 to $150 then going against what is in writing is terrible customer service!  If you did not want kids under 12 on the ships you should have never started the whole exemption process for the under 12's!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JEANMR1 said:

So to put it in perspective (I’m an accountant):

total cruise fare not including gratuities for the four of us in a family harbor balcony was $2,018.96. a last minute compulsory fee of $150 increases the cost by 7.4% two weeks out. Probably less than two weeks out because they haven’t informed me I have to pay yet. Who would be happy if two weeks prior to your cruise they were like - sorry we just want more money. 
grrrrr

Check what i posted earlier. #19

4 minutes ago, JEANMR1 said:

So to put it in perspective (I’m an accountant):

total cruise fare not including gratuities for the four of us in a family harbor balcony was $2,018.96. a last minute compulsory fee of $150 increases the cost by 7.4% two weeks out. Probably less than two weeks out because they haven’t informed me I have to pay yet. Who would be happy if two weeks prior to your cruise they were like - sorry we just want more money. 
grrrrr

It's definitely a tough one.  I remember when they said there would be no kid's clubs for under 12 after the final payment date.  Carnival keeps changing things and it must be very frustrating for families with young children. Who knows what else they will add to the requirements by the time you cruise.  I feel bad for those families.  I guess Carnival is doing what they can to prevent any positive cases.  It's too bad they didn't figure this stuff out a month ago.  It's not like they didn't have plenty of time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My husband just showed me an article from Cruise Hive (don't know how reputable they are) that unvaxxed passengers sailing out of FL beginning on July 31st will need to purchase insurance.  I looked for a post about it and didn't see one so here's my hijack.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ultrafighter said:

My husband just showed me an article from Cruise Hive (don't know how reputable they are) that unvaxxed passengers sailing out of FL beginning on July 31st will need to purchase insurance.  I looked for a post about it and didn't see one so here's my hijack.

TRAVEL INSURANCE REQUIREMENT FOR UNVACCINATED GUESTS – FLORIDA-BASED SHIPS

As a condition for sailing, unvaccinated guests are required to purchase travel insurance for cruises leaving from Florida homeports, effective with sailings departing July 31, 2021. Currently, we will waive this requirement for children under the age of 12 who are ineligible for vaccines. Each unvaccinated guest must provide proof of a valid travel insurance policy at the time of check-in that has a minimum of US$10,000, per person, in medical expense coverage and US$30,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation and without COVID-19 exclusions. The insurance policy must name the unvaccinated guest as the policy holder or beneficiary and may be purchased from a travel insurance company of the guest’s choosing or through Carnival Vacation Protection, which includes the required coverage. Please note Carnival Vacation Protection is available for purchase until 14 days prior to sailing for guests residing in the U.S. (excluding New York and Puerto Rico), Canada (excluding Quebec), U.S. Virgin Islands (excluding St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix) and American Samoa. Should you wish to purchase Carnival Vacation Protection, please call 1-800-CARNIVAL, your Personal Vacation Planner or your travel advisor. Guests without the required proof of insurance will not be permitted to sail and no refund will be provided.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

This might be due to the delta variant being highly contagious.  Unvaccinated people who have never been infected with covid are at risk.

Probably, Carnival is trying to cover themselves and naturally it isn't going to make people happy. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, ultrafighter said:

There's actually been two discussions going today on that.

Edited by Lee Cruiser

43 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I would post this to john directly.  They cant change it retroactively. 

I’m going to guess carnival lawyers have a catch all CYA somewhere in the cruise contract that they can change covid protocols/testing. But hopefully all the kid exemption test fees will still be waived for July and August like they promised.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

I’m going to guess carnival lawyers have a catch all CYA somewhere in the cruise contract that they can change covid protocols/testing. But hopefully all the kid exemption test fees will still be waived for July and August like they promised.

Sounds like a case of right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

This might be due to the delta variant being highly contagious.  Unvaccinated people who have never been infected with covid are at risk.

Florida had a 48% increase in weekly Coronavirus infections because of the ease with which the delta variant spreads.  

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2021/07/09/florida-sees-48-percent-jump-in-weekly-coronavirus-infections-as-delta-variant-spreads/

I'm beginning to wonder about my September sailing out of Port Canaveral.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, groundloop said:

Florida had a 48% increase in weekly Coronavirus infections because of the ease with which the delta variant spreads.  

Los Angeles is up by triple-digits in Covid cases from the prior week. Cases are increasing exponentially again. I am starting to get worried about my 7/31 cruise. 

LA County reports 839 new COVID-19 cases, a 165% increase from last week

The two examples above are why I'm waiting as long as I can to pay off cruises. Don't want to get money tied up if SHTF again. A lot of folks think everything is hunky-dory when it's not. I'm cautiously optimistic but also apprehensive as well. Everything still feels so uncertain, tenuous and fragile. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CruisingFromLA said:

Los Angeles is up by triple-digits in Covid cases from the prior week. Cases are increasing exponentially again. I am starting to get worried about my 7/31 cruise. 

LA County reports 839 new COVID-19 cases, a 165% increase from last week

As a Carnival shareholder, and someone who is greatly looking forward to getting back on a ship I'm terrified of the repercussions of another outbreak on a cruise.  To my way of thinking it would simply make sense for the cruise companies to go with 100% vaccinated for the time being.  

• Like 9

1 minute ago, groundloop said:

As a Carnival shareholder, and someone who is greatly looking forward to getting back on a ship I'm terrified of the repercussions of another outbreak on a cruise.  To my way of thinking it would simply make sense for the cruise companies to go with 100% vaccinated for the time being.  

Given the current circumstances, I think many(myself included) will totally agree with you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

It's definitely a tough one.  I remember when they said there would be no kid's clubs for under 12 after the final payment date.  Carnival keeps changing things and it must be very frustrating for families with young children. Who knows what else they will add to the requirements by the time you cruise.  I feel bad for those families.  I guess Carnival is doing what they can to prevent any positive cases.  It's too bad they didn't figure this stuff out a month ago.  It's not like they didn't have plenty of time.

Changing protocols I can handle or cancel (probably) without complaint. This is simply changing from free to $150. That is not a protocol change but a money grab. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Ok so I’m completely Facebook illiterate. I tried to post to him but all I did was post it on my page. Sigh. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

58 minutes ago, JEANMR1 said:

Changing protocols I can handle or cancel (probably) without complaint. This is simply changing from free to $150. That is not a protocol change but a money grab. 

Do they realize you may get some extra money in the short run, but alienating customers is not the way to go if you want repeat business?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Do they realize you may get some extra money in the short run, but alienating customers is not the way to go if you want repeat business?

It sure looks like Carnival is trying to do everything possible to get unvaccinated passengers to cancel.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It could also be Carnival's attorney's opinion on helping to shift liability as much as possible from Carnival to the passenger in case of infection. Not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, just my 2 cents (which is what is about what it's worth...)

• Like 1