JULY AND AUGUST ONLY: Unvaccinated ages 2 and up - mandatory covid test ($150 each)

3 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

If the expert quoted in this article are to be believed, vaccinated need to be tested as well:

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-expert-vaccinated-people-can-spread-the-delta-variant-2021-7?op=1

"COVID Expert: Vaccinated People Can Spread the Delta Variant"

I am fine with being tested.  Whatever Carnival needs to do to make cruises happen.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I am fine with being tested.  Whatever Carnival needs to do to make cruises happen.

Are you fine with paying $150 to be tested?

I think this expert is clear, that everyone, vaccinated or not, needs to be tested.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

That's crazy. I've had three of them in Mexico the past three months. My costs were $0, $35, $17.55.

Your probably not going to get a domestic rapid test under $100.  Here is the CVS link which is $139

Self-pay is not available for rapid-result testing at this time. No screening required. The cost is $139, which includes $100 for the independent laboratory that processes your test and $39 for your MinuteClinic 

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

I think this expert is clear, that everyone, vaccinated or not, needs to be tested.

I wouldn't like it, but at this point I would do it because I really want to cruise again.  I don't like wearing a mask in the cruise terminal, but I will do that too.  If I have to make reservations for shows, I will do that too.  An additional $150 for testing would not make me cancel my cruise.  Wearing masks all over the ship would.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I wouldn't like it, but at this point I would do it because I really want to cruise again.  I don't like wearing a mask in the cruise terminal, but I will do that too.  If I have to make reservations for shows, I will do that too.  An additional $150 for testing would not make me cancel my cruise.  Wearing masks all over the ship would.

I would be unhappy to suddenly add 150 to my cost. Add the cost to people who book going forward. Dont add it to those booked.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I would be unhappy to suddenly add 150 to my cost. Add the cost to people who book going forward. Dont add it to those booked.

It would not be a popular thing for Carnival to do for vaccinated passengers.  There would probably be a mutiny.  LOL. They seem to be doing it to unvaccinated passengers though, unless they honor their previous $50 testing fee for those already booked and either exempted or waiting for exemptions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It would not be a popular thing for Carnival to do for vaccinated passengers.  There would probably be a mutiny.  LOL. They seem to be doing it to unvaccinated passengers though, unless they honor their previous $50 testing fee for those already booked and either exempted or waiting for exemptions.

Actually it said they will waive the 50 fee. Free.

And I already have to take a covid test b2b on my two 5 day b2b cheapies.  Adding 150 would be a big price hike.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Actually it said they will waive the 50 fee. Free.

And I already have to take a covid test b2b on my two 5 day b2b cheapies.  Adding 150 would be a big price hike.

I think it's ridiculous that vaccinated B2B passengers have to take a covid test between cruises.  Are they requiring all vaccinated passengers to take a covid test before returning to the US?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jfunk138 said:

What lead you to believe that vaccinated passengers, would have to pay $150 to be tested?? Are you just making that up, to continue the argument?? 

1 minute ago, Joe817 said:

What lead you to believe that vaccinated passengers, would have to pay $150 to be tested?? Are you just making that up, to continue the argument?? 

If everyone ( including vaxxed) needs to be tested, as the expert quoted in the Business Insider article claims, why should there be a different cost for the test depending on whether you are vaccinated?

With the ever changing virus that Covid has presented  there is still so much that is unknown.  With the increase in cases ( not just in Florida)  could CCL be concerned for an increase chance of cases on these early sailings?  I'm sure this is very difficult for those calling the shots and hoping they are making the right decision for the sake of the future of the Corporation.  Maybe they are hoping to discourage those who are unvaxxed to reschedule with the increase in COVID cases.  I think we can expect changes for the first few months or longer as they work through and learn from each of these initial sailings.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think it's ridiculous that vaccinated B2B passengers have to take a covid test between cruises.  Are they requiring all vaccinated passengers to take a covid test before returning to the US?  

My TA not very patiently explained to me it was added by cdc when they added back cruises over 7 days. He is always so right it drives me nuts. No one told me it was added when cdc allowed longer cruises. I'm sure he is right, hes always right. While I'm sure it's great to have someone knowledgeable, having someone almost perfect can almost be annoying. Lol. Shhh. 

After I asked if it was just rcl who was doing this, he explained it was because of lomger cruises. There was a big stir yesterday. Post on rcl about b2b2b on celebrity edge you might enjoy. In the end they allowed it. I found out unvaccinated on rcl cant book b2b. No clue if applies to carnival. My learning is more by accident reading stuff. Celebrity beards decided 2 days before the celebrity edge cruise ended 2nd leg, 3rd leg wasnt allowed. People booked onboard upset, I would be. Got it reversed and they can finish what was booked. Good story about b2b lr b2b2b. I learned a few things.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 7:38 PM, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Your probably not going to get a domestic rapid test under $100.  Here is the CVS link which is $139

Self-pay is not available for rapid-result testing at this time. No screening required. The cost is $139, which includes $100 for the independent laboratory that processes your test and $39 for your MinuteClinic 

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

We have done CVS rapid tests for our recent Honduras trip twice in two days -- didn't cost us a dime.  It was $0 cost.

I have a different take. Since March of 2020, everyone has been aware of the pandemic and could have/should have forseen a lot of travel cancellations/changes. As international travel started to re-open as a possibility there have been frequent changes based on what the country you are going/returning to requires. This has been and will continue to be an evolving situation. I don't think that anyone should have booked/paid for a trip this year without being aware that nothing was guaranteed and that it was an evolving situation. If you believed that what Carnival said in reference to July/August cruises couldn't change then you didn't learn any lessons last year when month after month they announced that they would start sailing... and then didn't. 

I have skin in the game, not for a cruise but for an international trip. When I booked, even though I was vaccinated, I was going to have to take at least 4 covid tests. Now, requirements have changed and I'm down to two covid tests. It may change again and I understand that. The costs of those tests haven't been set in stone and I understand that. If I"m unlucky the number will go back up to 4 due to all these variants running amok. If I'm lucky it will go down to zero to 1 due to increasing vaccination rates. Time will tell. My trip is in September so waiting until it gets closer to make any test appointments or actual plans for that. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 6

48 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

We have done CVS rapid tests for our recent Honduras trip twice in two days -- didn't cost us a dime.  It was $0 cost.

That would be thru insurance which usually requires symptoms to cover testing  (mine does as I’ve been tested post-covid/pre-vaccine. Sigh-for allergies).  

The price I am comparing is w/o insurance since I have no idea if Carnival’s rack rate would be covered as such.  Maybe flex spending if they’ve updated the laws?  

I was just saying that $150 is not an unreasonable rate for rapid and where insurance does not cover (non-symptoms or travel).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

That would be thru insurance which usually requires symptoms to cover testing  (mine does as I’ve been tested post-covid/pre-vaccine. Sigh-for allergies).  

The price I am comparing is w/o insurance since I have no idea if Carnival’s rack rate would be covered as such.  Maybe flex spending if they’ve updated the laws?  

I was just saying that $150 is not an unreasonable rate for rapid and where insurance does not cover (non-symptoms or travel).

Didn't give my insurance.  I made the appointment and went - along with my wife and father-in-law.  It was for a trip to Honduras.  Zero symptoms.  

1 hour ago, BrotherCraig said:

If you had them done in the US...its covered by the government here.   All Covid testing is free here...insurance or not.     But its not really free...the government (and/or your insurace company) does.

• Like 2

So we have exemption approval for our 5 year old for Breeze 7/29 (4 day).

Outside of Friday's and this morning's Facebook coffee chats from John Heald, Carnival has communicated nothing about this change or this testing fee to us yet.  Nor does the Carnival website have any update with this change.  The Have Fun. Be Safe. FAQ page as of this morning still states:

All unvaccinated guests who have been pre-approved for a vaccine exemption must show the negative results of a PCR COVID-19 test, taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation. You will also receive an antigen test at embarkation which Carnival will provide. Guests under two are exempt from these testing requirements.

So that makes me wonder, if they do change to charge $150 for the testing, do we still have to also provide a separate negative test from the 72 hours before embarkation?  Also, today John said that the $150 would cover both the embarkation and debarkation testing (if he said that correctly), so the discussion earlier about the test cost may be moot.  However, for 4 day cruises, there was not going to be a debarkation test required for the unvaccinated guest.  So will that still be the same, and if so, would the charge be reduced to $75?

I really wish there was something more official from Carnival rather than just the ramblings of John Heald, as I want to see all this in writing to help confirm my questions above.  I would imagine most guests don't follow him nor post here, thus do not know anything has changed.  Perhaps that notice will go out today or tomorrow, since it was a weekend...

Edited by lancerTXST

11 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

If you had them done in the US...its covered by the government here.   All Covid testing is free here...insurance or not.     But its not really free...the government (and/or your insurace company) does.

Correct. It was funded as part of one of the packages passed by Congress last year. I've had 3 Covid tests and all cost me $0 at the point of "sale."

This is from the HHS:

https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/community-based-testing-sites/index.html

"COVID-19 tests are available at no cost nationwide at health centers and select pharmacies. The Families First Coronavirus Response Act ensures that COVID-19 testing is free to anyone in the U.S., including the uninsured. Additional testing sites may be available in your area. Contact your health care provider or your state or local public health department for more information."

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 7:32 PM, shof515 said:

Why is this 150 dollars? in my area the test is reasonable like around 50 dollars or so

I might be wrong but don't unvaccinated have to take 2-3 test before and during cruise $150 may be for more than one test. think i read this somewhere not sure

It has gotten to the point with travel insurance, testing fees, reduced onboard/shore excursions, etc.. that I have no idea why an unvaccinated individual or family with unvaccinated kids would want to cruise right now and likely well into next year. 

Given the surge in covid cases this summer BEFORE we have even gotten to the usual fall/winter peak flu season, it is very likely the current protocols are in place through not only the rest of the year, but most of next year. I see no evidence (willingness of public) that enough of society will get vaccinated and/or take precautions if not vaccinated to prevent another massive covid surge this fall/winter...hence get use to the current protocols for unvaccinated as they're going to be around for awhile.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrotherCraig said:

Didn't give my insurance.  I made the appointment and went - along with my wife and father-in-law.  It was for a trip to Honduras.  Zero symptoms.  

Glad RAPID testing is free and available to all.

Not being skeptical, just was quoting rack rates link as a comparison to what Carnival is quoting for the unvaccinated.  

I’ll  admit error when wrong; I just know based on my 2x testing & waiting thru insurance experience  & the link I provided that my personal experience was different.

• Like 1