JULY AND AUGUST ONLY: Unvaccinated ages 2 and up - mandatory covid test ($150 each)

JULY AND AUGUST ONLY:  Unvaccinated ages 2 and up - mandatory covid test ($150 each).

Just announced by John Heald.  They will move your cruise to a later time or work on your refund if you don't want to go through that.  September guidelines are not implemented yet.

Edited by BrotherCraig
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• BrotherCraig changed the title to JULY AND AUGUST ONLY: Unvaccinated ages 2 and up - mandatory covid test ($150 each)
5 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

JULY AND AUGUST ONLY:  Unvaccinated ages 2 and up - mandatory covid test ($150 each).

Just announced by John Heald.  They will move your cruise to a later time or work on your refund if you don't want to go through that.  September guidelines are not implemented yet.

Wow!  At the port or 3 days prior...? Just curious.  Thanks for the update!

5 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Feels like Carnival is trying to get families with Kids ext to reschedule so they don't have to deal with the unvaccinated. 

And the people above 16 years old that are not vaccinated by choice.  I'm thinking its a way for Carnival to cover themselves against a potential case of Covid.  With so much at stake financially, it's probably the only way Carnival could go.

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Wow this might make some families rethink cruising. More cost

On top of idk if they can get off the ship with unvaccinated in ports and just walk around and shop or private excursions.  Yes i saw bubble excursions.. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

This is NOT ok. We were clearly told the fee was $50 and waived for July and August. They really must be trying to get us to cancel. I get that nothing is perfect and they have to do what’s best for the greater good but this is unreasonable changing the policy two weeks out (for us). 

kids having to get negative covid test three days before - fine

kids getting a test upon embarkation and disembarkation - fine

kids wearing a mask on board more often - fine

no kids club - fine

Having to take bubble tours - fine

finding out my little guy can’t even go to the pool at amber cove - not really fine

Charging kids three times more than previously stated and implementing it with no lead time - untenable. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, JEANMR1 said:

This is NOT ok. We were clearly told the fee was $50 and waived for July and August. They really must be trying to get us to cancel. I get that nothing is perfect and they have to do what’s best for the greater good but this is unreasonable changing the policy two weeks out (for us). 

no kids club - fine

finding out my little guy can’t even go to the pool at amber cove - not really fine

Charging kids three times more than previously stated and implementing it with no lead time - untenable. 

I've never seen the $50 fee, could you post a link. If so I think you got a case.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JEANMR1 said:

no kids club - fine

Where was this $50 fee posted? I don't remember seeing that anywhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've never seen the $50 fee, could you post a link. If so I think you got a case.

Yes it was there but I cant remember where i saw it. i do remember thinking that was fair for those families because it was a sudden new charge that wasnt there when they booked. 

2 minutes ago, JohnMI said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  I got an email that said that unvaccinated would have to pay for the test, but I don't remember it being only $50...

I hope you kept the email. Maybe you can post it and if more say they were told no fee its waived via email.. I'd be escalating it to john

• Like 1

I remember someone posting about the before/after rapid test requirement in a prior post; don’t remember if cost was mentioned.  

The cost charged should reflect actual cost to Carnival or normal cost charged by agency.  Just a quick Google search makes it appear that $150 is reasonable for a rapid test.

.It was in the COVID-19 VACCINATION EXEMPTION REQUEST FORM within the Email dated 6/17 and titled Important Operational Update for Mardi Gras July 31 and August 2021 Sailings

This following part that applicants for the exemption had to agreed to for consideration.

By submitting your request, you agree to the following protocols that will apply to all unvaccinated guests:

Testing

• All unvaccinated guests will be required to submit at embarkation the negative results of a PCR COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation.
  • As per the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) guidance, unvaccinated guests will also be required to be tested at embarkation (and debarkation if the cruise is longer than 4 days). The cost of testing and administration is US$50, per person, which we will waive for guests sailing in July and August.
  • Any guest who tests positive at embarkation –along with their traveling companions –will not be able to join the ship and will be provided a future cruise credit.
  • Guests who test positive and have flown in for their cruise may be required to quarantine locally. Although Carnival will secure lodging, any expenses will be the responsibility of the guest.
  • Additional COVID-19 tests may be required by the destinations we visit prior to debarkation at the port of call.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with the success of the first two cruises?  Or did Carnival have a case of Covid appear onboard?  So far, I've heard nothing but glowing reports.

This is not my post but someone posted on "issues" on the Vista. As most people indicated, could be just working out the kinks...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cruise/comments/oeud0d/im_on_board_vista/

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

This is not my post but someone posted on "issues" on the Vista. As most people indicated, could be just working out the kinks...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cruise/comments/oeud0d/im_on_board_vista/

There will always be a few that don't like it no matter what, Most of the reviews have been glowing and Steller. 

Edited by WhaleTailFlCruiser
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Feels like Carnival is trying to get families with Kids ext to reschedule so they don't have to deal with the unvaccinated. 

Yes, it does.  It also feels like they might be preparing to open up cruising for all maybe in September and want to make it safer for everyone.  I think it's reasonable for them to require a covid test before boarding.  That is the smart way to go for the unvaccinated.  I know people really want to cruise, but this summer is not an easy time for those who are cruising with unvaccinated family members between the testing, travel insurance, bubble tours, and mask requirements.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

There will always be a few that don't like it no matter what, Most of the reviews have bee glowing and Steller. 

Yeah, I have seen a few bad reviews but most of the reviews have been very good.  

27 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

I remember someone posting about the before/after rapid test requirement in a prior post; don’t remember if cost was mentioned.  

The cost charged should reflect actual cost to Carnival or normal cost charged by agency.  Just a quick Google search makes it appear that $150 is reasonable for a rapid test.

That's crazy. I've had three of them in Mexico the past three months. My costs were $0, $35, $17.55.

• Like 4

So to put it in perspective (I’m an accountant):

total cruise fare not including gratuities for the four of us in a family harbor balcony was $2,018.96. a last minute compulsory fee of $150 increases the cost by 7.4% two weeks out. Probably less than two weeks out because they haven’t informed me I have to pay yet. Who would be happy if two weeks prior to your cruise they were like - sorry we just want more money. 
grrrrr