With the revised dress codes for dinner.

Longboysfan

8 hours ago, Solon said:

We pack according to the location of the cruise.  USA is definitely less formal.  Whereas for Europe we take more formal clothes.  This also differs for Africa, Asia, Australia, South America etc.

What do you think about location?  Does it matter to you?  ( I am not referring to climate here).

Also, I always take a jacket just for the free dry cleaning!

I’ve only done more recent Europe cruise, a westbound TA from Southampton- noticeably more dressing up on formal nights. My only Med cruise was 29 years ago, so another workd

23 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Here is a photo of a Delsey luggage that is top opening hardside:

526E95BF-C01A-487F-937A-02F40CC15D07.jpeg

ABACB9F5-F6DD-461A-86AD-CFAB72BBF5FE.jpeg

I have a Delsey soft side that preceded the hard side craze that is much like this hard side version - love it. My fav bag ever, I baby it because it’s not made anymore.

The last time I think I took a jacket on a cruise was fifteen years ago.  Wore it onboard once and purposely left it behind.  

When we are travelling for eight or nine weeks we had no intention of dragging along clothes that we only wear one or twice.

Fortunately the requirements for gala nights have been revised.  We can easily meet these requirements from our carry on…IF we decide to bother with the MDR on those nights.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

Daytime I wear Chico’s capris and Lands End polos.  (Who would have thought, growing up shopping at Needless Markup, that one day my wardrobe would be 99% Lands End 😜?)  Generally bring a couple of capris…beige or a light color…colorful polos.  I used to also bring white capris and dressy tunic tops for some evenings and dresses for others.  But I found the jersey dresses weigh so much less and take up less room in the cabin closet that now all my evening wear is dresses.  You can be messy in my dresses.  All are colorful patterns…some are reversible.  If you spilled something easy to sponge off…. 

Like this one.

https://poshmark.com/listing/Chicos-Reversible-Floral-Animal-Print-Dress-0-60f095c97ec30cba97b86b6f?utm_source=gdm&utm_campaign=9871158674&campaign_id=9871158674&ad_partner=google&gskid=pla-1447674507767&gcid=431428569519&ggid=97587076062&gdid=m&g_network=g&enable_guest_buy_flow=true&gclid=CjwKCAjwx8iIBhBwEiwA2quaqwmIK7lFE0ybo7p-YVCknBm7rp05MxFX2RlIl8bXd6-Ax-GGCntCAhoC_WgQAvD_BwE

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 1

We have packing down after 40 cruises.  I could never go with just a carry on except maybe a 5 night.  We take snorkel equipment for the Caribbean, packable beach umbrella, beach chairs. So it does depend on the destination.  We dress nicely every night and the DH takes a clean shirt for each evening.  Polos he rewears later during the day a second time.  What we pack less of is daytime clothes.  We find if we are going to the beach or have a sea day we are in swimwear all day so take less daytime clothes now. I pretty much wear a dress every evening and he wears a dress shirt or polo.  No more tux but he takes a jacket. Rarely a tie. Lots of women wear the same pants and just change tops.  I’m just not much of a pants gal.  Plus I love shoes!

We have a bag called a cruiser.  We can leave everything on hangers in dry cleaning bags,  very easy to pack and unpack.  Otherwise use Delsey lightweight 25 inch plus carry on roller and personal bag.  Always use packing cubes and all lose stuff in clear zip bags I found on Amazon.  I unpack in the cabin putting pretty much everything in the same place each cruise so DH knows where it all is. The small clear bags I label for instance pool, just grab and drop it in my beach bag for the pool.  Have an excursion bag, first aid bag, cabin bag for random stuff like clothes brush, small flashlight, extra sanitizer etc.

Guess I answered more then you’ll ever want to know….lol.  We fly southwest unless it’s Europe of course.  Then we do pack lighter to avoid fees or book a fare that includes at least one checked bag. Even then I pack pretty much the limit in pounds.  We don’t shop much anymore on trips.

We always pack 3 checked luggage and one small carry on one each (for meds and valuables). We are always under the weight allowance and consider the airlines checked luggage fee, airfare, pre cruise stay, ground transportation and everything else just part of the cost of cruising. We pack for the ports, evenings on the ship and sea days. We also use the CC laundry perk/benefit for socks and underwear. 

Edited by davekathy

We never shop on trips. No room.  Besides, we do not intend to have any more garage sales since the big downsizing exercise.

When we buy clothes at home we always find ourselves buying lightweight, easy care fabric, multiuse/layer type clothing suitable for travel.  The same for shoes....are they comfortable, could we travel with them....

We can be packed and out in ten minutes no matter where we are when we are traveling.

Edited by iancal

We all range from a 2 or 3 check-in’s plus a carry-on or each, down to only carry-ons and a bag or so. Lots of variations and options. We usually have a single medium check-in between us plus a small carry-on each (not the type you see the poor person trying to stuff it in the overhead). We like a roller carry-on to lean on as we traipse  That not only covers a 7N, but longer ones. We are E+ so have more than enough laundry, and even if we didn’t have it free, we’d have laundry done. Makes life so easy. Lots of mix/match. Went with zippered pants for flexibility and lots of light clothes unless going colder clime. 

I know lots of guys have quit with the sports jackets, but I love the travel sports/blazer jackets with the pockets and light wear so bring one along. Doesn’t take up room because I wear it! I also bring a travel vest with Lots of pockets….that way, I give my wife good entertainment watching me go through the 23 various pockets looking for whatever. 

We’ve really cut back also, but we do use checklists and update it after each trip. Heck, haven’t done any except for a few day trips to help out family, so it is now time to review them. 

But I do remind our students (and myself!) that various ports Do have clothes and items for sale….I bought a great set of walking shoes in Germany and Love them. And I nice light but dressy Mexican shirt that made me feel good….because my wife loved how I looked!

den

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 11:40 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

I never understood them, in the past, I've never had a problem locating my socks which somewhat renders the cubes useless.  Now I rollup my boxers, socks, undershirt in my pants and that's been a huge time saver.  I never wear regular shorts, only boardshorts.

I am currently a cube user.  It is so easy to unpack in the cabin and remember where I put things when I use the cubes.  For example, bathing suits and covers in one cube, exercise wear in another....