With the revised dress codes for dinner.

Longboysfan

On 8/8/2021 at 2:20 AM, HappyCamper49 said:

You must have packing down to a science.  I admire you!  Do you roll your clothes tightly or fold?  I am going to try rolling on our April 2022 TA.  Our cruises are mainly 12 - 14 days. DH has a 25" and I have also have a 25" , plus we share a 21" roll on bag.  Believe it or not, that is downsizing for us.

Roll…

23 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I was on the 7/24 Edge sailing, on Chic nights there was a surprising number of folks in tuxes yet the MDR hosts were letting in folks with hats (including cowboys hats), shorts and flip flops.  Those who are on "Team dress code enforcement" may not want to cruise at the moment.

Very true about the MDR, I just disembarked the Equinox. 

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I’m in your husband’s corner.  Two pair of Khakis.  Some button shirts (4) that double as daytime casual with shorts (4 pair).  Skivvies, socks, swim trunks, tennis shoes, some shoes that double as walking and “quasi” dress shoes (I think they’re “Sketchers”) , toothbrush, razor…..I am packed.

I use the shampoo and soap that are n my cabin.  I bet I dress and smell as good as 99% on the ship.  And, I pack lite.

I have a back pack that goes under the seat and a roll aboard that goes in the plane’s overhead bin.

Sounds like me…

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Roll…

Roll, too!  

Socks rolled up inside shoes.  Boxers rolled into legs of shorts/pants.  Shirts buttoned up and rolled.

Toiletries go in the backpack, along with cruise/flight paperwork.  Camera, plugs, shoes too.

You'd be surprised how much space even a sport coat takes to pack.  Plus, it looks terrible when you pull it out of the luggage....all wrinkly.

Always use this backpack from eBags.....I think I paid $80 for it....  And, this 4 wheel roll aboard by Away.  Got it a few years ago as a backer of one of the very few successful crowd funds I've ever done.  Very well made and I've abused the daylights out of it.  Guaranteed for life.

42FF1B64-66BB-46BD-9766-313B4A9EC6B1.jpeg

Navy_CO_PDP_01.jpg.webp

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I’m in your husband’s corner.  Two pair of Khakis.  Some button shirts (4) that double as daytime casual with shorts (4 pair).  Skivvies, socks, swim trunks, tennis shoes, some shoes that double as walking and “quasi” dress shoes (I think they’re “Sketchers”) , toothbrush, razor…..I am packed.

I use the shampoo and soap that are n my cabin.  I bet I dress and smell as good as 99% on the ship.  And, I pack lite.

I have a back pack that goes under the seat and a roll aboard that goes in the plane’s overhead bin.

We have packed the same way for 10 years, except recently stopped with the backpack and only use the carry on roller.   One week or 8 weeks this is how we roll. One reason is how and where we travel on land trips.  We only take what we can each physically handle.  We may or may buy a last minute cruise depending on where we are.

We had lots of the fancy dress events during our working career so not attending gala night in the MDR is of no consequence to us.  We stopped doing formal night a long time ago,  it lost it's appeal to us.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

^^^^^^^

I'm the same.  I had my fill of formal functions and dressing up a long time ago.  Don't want to do it on vacation.  Packing what I will need for a week plus is something I've become adept at during the decades I traveled for work.

I don't pack for every conceivable eventuality.  I pack for what I need for a 7 day trip.  I will put on khakis and a sport shirt on the dress up nights.  But, I'll only wear that while eating dinner.  Consequently, a few sprites of Downy Wrinkle release allows me to pack fewer of those types of clothes, while keeping them wrinkle free and smelling fresh throughout.

I feel special regardless of how I dress. 😉

• Like 1

We teach a travel class and my wife does a ‘what to take/how to pack’ demo and it is one of the favorites. We wear different clothes each session to show what is good for various venues and seasons. Fun. I love seeing all the Euro clothing store windows with all the colorful clothes and all the people looking at them in their black/brown outfits! 

We do use cube packs. I find them handy because I have my items organized in them, either by type of outfits and can just open that baby up and put the packs into the drawers. Each to our own.

We do the roll ups, socks in shoes and carry one change in our carryons. Either small backpack or small suitcase. 

As to the suitcases, we’ve been going hardside for more protection and go with a top opener so dont end up with one of those clamshell things that is heavy on both sides and a pain on a hotel luggage holder. Don’t see many of them, but when we do, we jump on them. Very handy.

den

• Like 1

We use an international size carry on roller. 

It is slight smaller that the North American carry on size limits.  It is very common in Europe and Asia on regional flights.  

More often than not there is a weight limit as well.  Usually 7 to 8,  sometimes 10 KG weight limit.  And some airlines are quite strict about weighing the bag.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:24 AM, Longboysfan said:

7 days.

Now jackets not required.

Understood.

I laid out clothes and it seems like about half from 10 years ago.

Does that seem right?

Yes and you probably are still taking more than you will need. 

We pack according to the location of the cruise.  USA is definitely less formal.  Whereas for Europe we take more formal clothes.  This also differs for Africa, Asia, Australia, South America etc.

What do you think about location?  Does it matter to you?  ( I am not referring to climate here).

Also, I always take a jacket just for the free dry cleaning!

Edited by Solon

19 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I used to use they cube packs but learned there still pretty pointless.  I place my boxers, undershirt and a pair in socks on my pants and roll them up together.

I go back and forth on cubes.  If I take the time to use them correctly (not always a given) they are very effective.  Sometimes, I just start organizing what I’m taking and by the time I think about using cubes, I’m nearly done packing.

3 hours ago, Solon said:

We pack according to the location of the cruise.  USA is definitely less formal.  Whereas for Europe we take more formal clothes.  This also differs for Africa, Asia, Australia, South America etc.

What do you think about location?  Does it matter to you?  ( I am not referring to climate here).

Also, I always take a jacket just for the free dry cleaning!

Location does matter.  I know for my last Mediterranean cruise (MSC) I didn’t pack a sport coat, but did pack dress shirts and ties.  I realized I probably could have ditched the ties and been just fine.  Probably could have ditched the dress shirts, too and been just fine with just sport shirts.  Interestingly, when we took that cruise, the GF insisted she needed TWO 25” pieces of luggage and a backpack and a large bag/purse (vs my one 22”).  Even though I schlepped most of the luggage, I couldn’t carry all the luggage, all the time.  So, we were both carrying large pieces of luggage (mostly hers).  From that point forward, she learned the GraphicGuy way of packing and traveling….light and nimble.  LOL!

Moreover, a cruise in the winter requires different clothes than a cruise in the summer.  Winter clothes tend to be bulkier (shorts vs long pants, short sleeve shirts vs long sleeve shirts, socks, topsiders vs heavier shoes, etc).

I haven’t done Alaska (yet), but I would think that itinerary would have similar conundrums given the weather changes.

19 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Here is a photo of a Delsey luggage that is top opening hardside:

526E95BF-C01A-487F-937A-02F40CC15D07.jpeg

ABACB9F5-F6DD-461A-86AD-CFAB72BBF5FE.jpeg

Den…I’ve looked at the Delsey model several times.  I’ve veered away from soft side to hard side luggage, too.  On the very few occasions I do check luggage (like when the gate agent says there is no more room in the overheads and I gate check mine), you can tell my soft side was under some pretty weighty luggage when it was thrown into the cargo hold.  They never ripped, but the contents got squished pretty hard.

I only had one piece of hard side fail me.  It was a Samsonite piece…22”.  Was on a flight to MSY to sail on a Carnival Cruise.  Fortunately, it wasn’t my GF’s luggage.  That would have been a disaster of epic proportions.  It was mine.  It came out of baggage claim with the frame sprung and the locks broken.  The contents were duct taped into either side of the sprung frame.

Luckily, we were spending a couple of days in the Big Easy before embarkation.  After (firmly) dealing with the Delta customer service agent at baggage claim over whose fault it was (it certainly wan’t mine), I got a debit card with several hundred dollars in credit to buy new clothes and a suitcase.  

We were staying in the French Quarter so clothing stores were at a premium.  They were either high end boutique shops or touristy spots to buy t-shirts and shirts with New Orleans logos.  I got a mix of both.  None were nearly my style.  That gave the GF no end of entertaining commentary the entire cruise.

The hard side luggage I have now (AWAY) is worlds better in materials and workmanship.

I find it interesting that a good deal of our discussion is over what is ‘allowed’ or the minimum, or complaining what others are wearing requires me to dress differently than what I wear at the pool……I understand, but just as those that they feel they are being pushed by what others are wearing, I dress up more than the basic; I enjoy wearing a jacket (love my pockets!) and throw on a bow tie. I’m stepping into a nice restaurant and I dress What I Think Is Appropriate….for me. I don’t care and I don’t look around. And I certainly don’t do it every evening. 

So wear what you wish, but please follow the Very Basic dress guidelines. Men can actually wear pants for a few hours and take off that t-shirt with the ‘colorful’ sayings on the front of it. 

the only thing that drives me nuts is the complete inability of men to take off that ballcap while Inside…..you are Inside so take the darn thing off. It folds up, thats the point of the thing. 

OK enough trying to control others by asking them to follow common sense. 

Den

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I find it interesting that a good deal of our discussion is over what is ‘allowed’ or the minimum, or complaining what others are wearing requires me to dress differently than what I wear at the pool……I understand, but just as those that they feel they are being pushed by what others are wearing, I dress up more than the basic; I enjoy wearing a jacket (love my pockets!) and throw on a bow tie. I’m stepping into a nice restaurant and I dress What I Think Is Appropriate….for me. I don’t care and I don’t look around. And I certainly don’t do it every evening. 

So wear what you wish, but please follow the Very Basic dress guidelines. Men can actually wear pants for a few hours and take off that t-shirt with the ‘colorful’ sayings on the front of it. 

the only thing that drives me nuts is the complete inability of men to take off that ballcap while Inside…..you are Inside so take the darn thing off. It folds up, thats the point of the thing. 

OK enough trying to control others by asking them to follow common sense. 

Den

Perhaps the cap needs to hide something?

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I go back and forth on cubes.  If I take the time to use them correctly (not always a given) they are very effective.  Sometimes, I just start organizing what I’m taking and by the time I think about using cubes, I’m nearly done packing.

I never understood them, in the past, I've never had a problem locating my socks which somewhat renders the cubes useless.  Now I rollup my boxers, socks, undershirt in my pants and that's been a huge time saver.  I never wear regular shorts, only boardshorts.

I like the idea of a bow tie.  I'd like to try that....with cargo shorts.  Will I be kicked out of the MDR on Chic night?

In all seriousness, I really don't care how anyone else dresses.  If you like dressing up, I say put on your Saturday night best.

I'm probably a little sensitive about the whole dress up or not thing based on lady I ran into on the Allure of the Seas a decade or so, ago.  It was one of the formal nights.  I had on a long sleeve dress shirt and long wool pants.  The GF was wearing what I thought was a quite fetching silk blouse and nice pants.

We were waiting behind a couple on the steps who were having their pics taken.  We were maybe 2-3 steps behind them.  The lady (loose term) turned around and saw us.  She loudly asked that the photographer let us pass because we were ruining their picture because of the way we dressed.  She went on to belittle us as ruining the "night" because were weren't dressed up enough and didn't help anyone's "background".  

My GF is beautiful and sensitive. She was taken aback by this lady and was just hurt the rest of the evening.  I wished I had said something to her, but just passed by on the steps while I shot her my dirtiest of looks.  She just smirked.

I wanted to call her a bovine in the worst way.  GF stopped me.

From then on, we decided to dress the way we feel comfortable on a cruise.  Anyone who doesn't like it, that's their problem, not ours. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I like the idea of a bow tie.  I'd like to try that....with cargo shorts.  Will I be kicked out of the MDR on Chic night?

In all seriousness, I really don't care how anyone else dresses.  If you like dressing up, I say put on your Saturday night best.

I'm probably a little sensitive about the whole dress up or not thing based on lady I ran into on the Allure of the Seas a decade or so, ago.  It was one of the formal nights.  I had on a long sleeve dress shirt and long wool pants.  The GF was wearing what I thought was a quite fetching silk blouse and nice pants.

We were waiting behind a couple on the steps who were having their pics taken.  We were maybe 2-3 steps behind them.  The lady (loose term) turned around and saw us.  She loudly asked that the photographer let us pass because we were ruining their picture because of the way we dressed.  She went on to belittle us as ruining the "night" because were weren't dressed up enough and didn't help anyone's "background".  

My GF is beautiful and sensitive. She was taken aback by this lady and was just hurt the rest of the evening.  I wished I had said something to her, but just passed by on the steps while I shot her my dirtiest of looks.  She just smirked.

I wanted to call her a bovine in the worst way.  GF stopped me.

From then on, we decided to dress the way we feel comfortable on a cruise.  Anyone who doesn't like it, that's their problem, not ours. 

Agree. Celebrity has a very simple published suggested dress guidelines. Something similar happen to my wife and I on a cruise. March 2017, Jewel Of the Seas third night, second leg of our B2B cruise. We decided to dress formally on a suggested casual dress evening. Celebrating a special occasion. As we were standing in line waiting to enter the MDR for MTD reservation when I heard a loud mouth lady (I use the term lady loosely) say "I guess they didn't read that paper thing in our cabin telling us what we have to wear tonight". I spun around look down at both her and her husband (or whomever he was) and said, "no I didn't read the Cruise Compass that's in your cabin. What did it say"? They both just stood there like slugs. I then gave both of them a big smile while shaking my head, turned around and continued on into the MDR. After my wife and I were seated, ordered our wine, made a toast to each other, we then both had a good laugh and enjoyed our meal. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 9:34 AM, helen haywood said:

Well, even if I thought someone might notice that I was wearing the same dress every night (only for about two hours) 

I bring Chicos jersey dresses for nighttime.  They weigh nothing and don’t wrinkle so I generally bring three for a seven night cruise.

My husband brings two pairs of khaki pants and a different polo/golf shirt for each day…and he generally puts on s sports coat on Evening Chic nights.

Helen, I’m curious because I’m rethinking my packing a bit do you bring any “dressy” shorts, capris or long pants? If you have a daytime event like a lecture, trivia, or a wine tasting, for ex., do you wear your dresses or what? I’m an inherently messy person, so I need extras for “drips and drops “, and that’s the big disadvantage to dresses for me, if I dribble that’s 2 whole nights gone. I’m also probably too picky about what goes to the laundry