Hoping to sail the Oasis--Internet Question

I have not sailed on RCCL for about 6 years. I'm hoping to go on the Oasis out of Bayonne in Oct. and crossing my fingers that she sails! Does anyone know the price of the internet packages? I usually get unlimited. This is a 7 night cruise. The last class of ship I was on was the Explorer. I understand this is larger.

Does anyone know of any balcony cabins to avoid or decks for a cabin. We would want the ocean view.

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, karinad said:

I have not sailed on RCCL for about 6 years. I'm hoping to go on the Oasis out of Bayonne in Oct. and crossing my fingers that she sails! Does anyone know the price of the internet packages? I usually get unlimited. This is a 7 night cruise. The last class of ship I was on was the Explorer. I understand this is larger.

Does anyone know of any balcony cabins to avoid or decks for a cabin. We would want the ocean view.

Thanks!

Join the roll call of the sailing you are looking at and ask. With Royal always changing prices that would be your best way of knowing.

4 hours ago, karinad said:

Does anyone know the price of the internet packages?

The price online is almost always cheaper than on board. You can buy and if the price goes down, you can cancel and re-buy. Oasis has O3B internet, which means the Surf tier performs quite well for most uses.

• Like 2

My September Oasis cruise planner list the surf internet package at $14.39 per day.  The stream package (higher speed) is $18:39 per day.  These prices are for one device at a time.  You can switch devices anytime.

I don’t see The Key package offered for my cruise. It has internet included and some other benefits.  All guests in the same cabin must purchase the Key, not worth it unless you need two internet packages.

As far as ocean view cabins, almost all are good, I avoid deck 14 as the overhang from the deck above blocks out most of the sun.

Lou

Thank you for you answers and suggestions. Do they ever offer unlimited internet? I didn't decide if we're doing the Oct. 10 or the 17th and didn't think I should join the roll call until I'm booked. I do always join it.

If anyone was on the Oasis, did you ever stay on deck 6. I see that it is where the action is but we've stayed once on one of the decks with public venues and it was kind of nice to just walk out your door and be there or near to things. I think the cabins were on the other side of the ship.

2 minutes ago, ampurp85 said:

The internet plans are unlimited, it is just one is more basic for things like checking a few emails, browsing etc. The other has higher speeds for streaming and uploads.

Sorry, I didn't word that right. We were on NCL the past few years and they offer an internet package to include the whole cruise instead of day to day. This could be better if you don't get it every day.

13 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The price online is almost always cheaper than on board. You can buy and if the price goes down, you can cancel and re-buy. Oasis has O3B internet, which means the Surf tier performs quite well for most uses.

I typically do some work when I. Cruise, I have always got the surf and stream package and always wondered if I could just do the surf pkg.  I do connect to a vpn thru work laptop and occasionally need to download docs from customers but no streaming.

What are your thoughts?

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

What are your thoughts?

This depends on whether you are on ship with O3B internet or not. With it, I may chance Surf only. The overhead hit for the VPN will likely slow the non-O3B even more. As long as the documents are not huge (several MBs) the speed diff makes little diff.

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

This depends on whether you are on ship with O3B internet or not. With it, I may chance Surf only. The overhead hit for the VPN will likely slow the non-O3B even more. As long as the documents are not huge (several MBs) the speed diff makes little diff.

I hoping to be on Oasis in Sept.  Most docs are 1 mb or less.

2 hours ago, karinad said:

Thank you for you answers and suggestions. Do they ever offer unlimited internet? I didn't decide if we're doing the Oct. 10 or the 17th and didn't think I should join the roll call until I'm booked. I do always join it.

If anyone was on the Oasis, did you ever stay on deck 6. I see that it is where the action is but we've stayed once on one of the decks with public venues and it was kind of nice to just walk out your door and be there or near to things. I think the cabins were on the other side of the ship.

Over 50 nights on Oasis class, always deck 12 forward hump.. Oasis is almost double the size of Explorer,  but once inside you would think it is triple the size..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, karinad said:

Oasis, did you ever stay on deck 6. I

It's either deck 6 or 7 where the rear elevator lobby area is split so you can't walk from port to starboard. So if you get in the wrong side of elevators you'll have to go down/up to go over. I think it's 7?

2 hours ago, smplybcause said:

It's either deck 6 or 7 where the rear elevator lobby area is split so you can't walk from port to starboard. So if you get in the wrong side of elevators you'll have to go down/up to go over. I think it's 7?

Thank you! That helps when deciding the location. I forget what ship we were on (I think it was a Princess ship) that you had to go up a floor to cross over to the other side. It caused us to do lots of extra steps because of where our cabin was.

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Over 50 nights on Oasis class, always deck 12 forward hump.. Oasis is almost double the size of Explorer,  but once inside you would think it is triple the size..

It sounds like you like the Oasis Class Ships. We were on the Explorer twice. Sometimes a big ship doesn't seem as big at it is when you're on it. We were on the NCL Joy last year and I think it was my favorite ship so far. I'd love to see if it could be out done!

I believe the Oasis has been upgraded to the O3B, the newer internet, which means you'll get a lower ping.  But even then, it is still fairly slow, but probably not the crawl that you were used to 6 years ago.  You can actually stream some video and make facetime calls if its not too congested.

For 1 device, Anything lower than 15/day would be considered a decent sale (It was 14.97/day for my December cruise).  My best, I got it for $9.97/day but that was about 3 years ago.  Since then, I've rarely seen it below 12.99/day on sale.  This is for Surf and Stream.  Surf Only is cheaper, but they throttle that even more.

What you can do is if you find a sale, buy it.  And if it pops up cheaper, cancel and rebuy it at the lower price.

10 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

I believe the Oasis has been upgraded to the O3B, the newer internet, which means you'll get a lower ping.  But even then, it is still fairly slow, but probably not the crawl that you were used to 6 years ago.  You can actually stream some video and make facetime calls if its not too congested.

For 1 device, Anything lower than 15/day would be considered a decent sale (It was 14.97/day for my December cruise).  My best, I got it for $9.97/day but that was about 3 years ago.  Since then, I've rarely seen it below 12.99/day on sale.  This is for Surf and Stream.  Surf Only is cheaper, but they throttle that even more.

What you can do is if you find a sale, buy it.  And if it pops up cheaper, cancel and rebuy it at the lower price.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm not used to navigating the RCL site and haven't seen where they show the packages.

9 minutes ago, karinad said:

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm not used to navigating the RCL site and haven't seen where they show the packages.

Once you have your cruise booked you can see your cruise on their website, after you login.  Then click plan cruise, it will take you to the cruise planner and give you all the options available for your sailing.

With royal you can typically buy an item such as wifi pkg. or an excursion now then if it goes on sale you can rebook at the lower price.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Once you have your cruise booked you can see your cruise on their website, after you login.  Then click plan cruise, it will take you to the cruise planner and give you all the options available for your sailing.

With royal you can typically buy an item such as wifi pkg. or an excursion now then if it goes on sale you can rebook at the lower price.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you! I thought there was something I was missing.

On 7/15/2021 at 1:49 AM, karinad said:

It sounds like you like the Oasis Class Ships. We were on the Explorer twice. Sometimes a big ship doesn't seem as big at it is when you're on it. We were on the NCL Joy last year and I think it was my favorite ship so far. I'd love to see if it could be out done!

Nope, Oasis is HUGE.  We were on Allure and my wife clocked in more than 3x the steps on the ship than she would on a normal day at work on average while we did our 7 nights.  AND our room was right next to the elevator.  Would have probably been more if we had to walk past the elevators and beyond.

Also, Norwegian Joy stands at 166K gross tons.  Oasis is at 226K  A full 70K heavier.  73K is Grandeur of the Seas.