The Daily for Thursday Jul 15, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I was not that impressed with Rick on the Rotterdam but came to really appreciate him on Crystal.  He's  the consummate people person and a perfect fit for the 900-passenger Serenity.  I'm very happy to report that he's now at work on the Serenity on her Bahamas cruises.

Roy

We thought he did a good job on the Ryndam in 1998.  When we shared a table in the Lido, he was very open and candid especially with HAL newbies. I'm glad he is working now.

Lenda 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We are about the same numbers vaccinated, Jacqui, so things are going pretty well, although there are still a few new cases every day.  I just wish they had opened up a bit more slowly.  Masks are still "recommended" but without a mandate, I think no one is going to bother.  We tried going back  to church last Sunday, and there, too, we were amazed at how few were wearing masks, people were singing.  I am tempted not to go again until we see how things progress.

That's how our church has been, in fact last week I was the only one wearing one.  I'm fully vaccinated, but I don't want a cold, or the flu, or pneumonia, or tonsillitis, all of which I had in 2019 before masks. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Do you remember what week?  I was August 8-15.  It was my third traditional cruise (I consider an overnight on the Alaska Ferry Matanuska my first "cruise", but that was certainly not traditional).  It's become a special bond for me.  My Cruise Director on the Rotterdam was Rick Spath, and he moved over to Crystal Serenity several years later.  In 2014 I did a triple connection on Crystal Symphony, Crystal Serenity, and Amsterdam.  The Cruise Director on the Symphony always said "if you've ever sailed with me before, even on another cruise line let me know".  I mentioned that I had sailed with Rick on the Rotterdam last Alaska season, and he tipped off Rick.  Rick cornered me as I left a lecture once I moved to Serenity and it's been a special bond between us ever since then.

Roy

I did a 36 hour Alaska ferry from Ketchikan to Bellingham, I didn't have a cabin, and you know what?  I actually really enjoyed it.  It wasn't crowded and the views through the inside passage were great. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon!

I accomplished my goals today.   Both bathrooms have been scrubbed down and are sparkling clean.  

@summer slopeI am so sorry to hear about your shingles.  I know they can be very painful and I hope the antivirals kick in quickly.

@JazzyV So sorry to hear about your eye.  Let's keep our fingers crossed that it is much better tomorrow.

@Vict0riann I know what you mean about places being crowded and feeling uncomfortable.  I wonder how long it will be before we do feel comfortable in a crowd.   Over the fourth we went to Charlevoix to go shopping and there were so many people.  I was ready to go home in 20 minutes.  

I'm about to start bathrooms, lol, and it's the last thing I feel like doing 😞

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I did a 36 hour Alaska ferry from Ketchikan to Bellingham, I didn't have a cabin, and you know what?  I actually really enjoyed it.  It wasn't crowded and the views through the inside passage were great. 

I've enjoyed several trips on the system, most recently 5 days on the Kennicott Bellingham to  Whittier in 2016.

Roy

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I've enjoyed several trips on the system, most recently 5 days on the Kennicott Bellingham to  Whittier in 2016.

Roy

I found it to be so relaxing, nothing like a cruise ship of course, but the scenery doesn't change whether it be a luxury yacht or a row boat.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Have mentioned friend with liver transplant. He had a miracle yesterday. Scheduled to have surgery to remove fluid around his heart as well as a band of fibrous tissue, a scan showed it was all gone, no surgery needed! Such good news for him. 

PTL! 👏😊

• Like 8

Thanks for sll the daily information and photos of Sitka.

@JazzyV hope your eye continues to improve.

@summer slope hope you do not suffer too much with the shingles, good that you have the medication to help.

@Horizon chaser 1957  probably a good decision to cancel the planned trip to Africa.

Sunshine this morning, but now cloudy, rain is forecast, 13 C.

Take care everyone.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Do you remember what week?  I was August 8-15.  It was my third traditional cruise

I had to look it up in the Navigator. You were getting off the ship as I was embarking. Aug 15-22. Got me hooked on cruising! 😁

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for sll the daily information and photos of Sitka.

@JazzyV hope your eye continues to improve.

@summer slope hope you do not suffer too much with the shingles, good that you have the medication to help.

@Horizon chaser 1957  probably a good decision to cancel the planned trip to Africa.

Sunshine this morning, but now cloudy, rain is forecast, 13 C.

Take care everyone.

Do hope this finds both of you doing well and that your beautiful country and people are safe.

Bruce

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, erewhon said:

I can't eat tapioca pudding, at boarding school as teenage girls we called it "Frogs Eyes".

🤣🤣

I can take it or leave it, I don't go out of my way for it, but I'd gladly have it on HAL where I know it's made well. 

• Like 5

Good evening all.

Had good intentions to get on earlier but the day has flown by.

Interesting set of day.  Really enjoy noodle bowls.  Been to Sitka several times.  Enjoyed all the pictures people have shar

Continuing prayers for all on the care list.  Cheers to those celebrating.

Made our final payment yesterday for our Sept. Eurodam cruise.  Very excited.  

So glad we are back from Diamond Lake.  The fire near there is growing.  Keeping all in harm's way of the fires in our prayers.

Grandkids are had a great second day of summer school.  We managed to get home quicker with all the traffic.  

Stay well and safe everyone.

• Like 11

Sitka is one of our favorite Alaskan ports. We've been there probably a dozen times! Our favorite thing to do is walk by the marina out to the Totem Pole park. The park is great for scooters as the paths are well-packed and fairly wide. You can stop at the visitor's center and they'll give you a laminated copy of the history of all the totem poles. 

What sets Sitka apart, to us, is that there are none of the jewelry stores, etc. that populate Juneau and Ketchikan. Instead the Ben Franklin is a great souvenir stop. We enjoy walking around the town and seeing the sites. 

Karen

• Like 9

9 hours ago, atexsix said:

That's how our church has been, in fact last week I was the only one wearing one.  I'm fully vaccinated, but I don't want a cold, or the flu, or pneumonia, or tonsillitis, all of which I had in 2019 before masks. 

Our church in my avatar profile has been open for a few months but we all wear masks,social distance and don't sing and holy communion is bread only.

Our Reverend David reminds everyone about this before the service.

Mask wearing after July 19th is no longer compulsory in England.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1