Mardi Gras - the case of the (no longer appearing) Coffee Makers!

Tom-n-Cheryl

Just now, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I don't drink coffee at all so this thread feels petty to me lol. 

I am amused you booked a very expensive cruise/Room based on a bloody coffee maker being in the room. (Sorry I can't help but laugh right now.). 

No, I said it was one contributing factor (which caught my eye). And, my very first comment was:

First off, this is a “first world” issue I’m pointing out here. In the big scheme of things, it means nothing!

So, I'm glad you're amused !  😄

Tom

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

No, I said it was one contributing factor (which caught my eye). And, my very first comment was:

First off, this is a “first world” issue I’m pointing out here. In the big scheme of things, it means nothing!

So, I'm glad you're amused !  😄

Tom

You phrased it more carefully then I think you needed to.  Some things are important to some people, while other people may not care.  Clearly this is important to you, so it's important when you decide what cabin or cruise line you choose.  For example, I find it insulting that CCL actually considers giving you a bottle of water as a "perk".  I think it would be better to give me nothing rather than saying all my continued sailing with them is only worth a bottle of water.  So it all depends on what is important to you.  If it matters, I think that the need to try and insult you about it is not amusing. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, for crying out loud! We are talking about a dumb coffee machine in the stateroom! I'm a coffee drinker when I wake up. Love a cup in the morning to kick start my heart. But if there's none in the stateroom, the world isn't coming to and end. I motivate quite well despite the lack of a cup of coffee when I wake up. My gosh! You are on a cruise! Enjoy the ocean, and quit bickering about something as inconsequential as a coffee maker in your room. [ ok. off my soapbox '  

Honestly, although I’ve not booked a room because of it. I can totally understand your disappointment. I’m a big coffee drinker. I think 10 years of working inpatient at the hospital has done that to me. But honestly I like to have my coffee before I go and do anything. So having one in the room would be wonderful. 
As far as those who are saying it’s a fire risk, I don’t know how much a keurig or keurig style coffee maker would be. They don’t have the heating plate the coffee maker sits on, which I think is the biggest risk. I don’t see it any worse than my hair straightener that heats up! 
Maybe it really is just a cost savings? I know Rona has been hard on all cruise lines and maybe they just couldn’t justify adding them to the rooms. But there’s not that many excel suites, correct? It’s too bad. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

They don’t have the heating plate the coffee maker sits on, which I think is the biggest risk.

No, the biggest risk is with the thermostatic shut-off switch that shuts off the heating element when the water runs dry in the plastic water reservoir.  This is common to all types of coffee makers.  If it fails, the heating element will melt the plastic, and start it burning.  As for your hair straightener, hair care appliances are allowed because of the riot that would ensue if they weren't.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lookitsmikel said:

Every hotel I’ve stayed in for the past year has had the coffee maker removed. I’m sure if they did intend on having them, this was just another Covid precaution. 

I’m sitting in my bed in the British Colonial Hilton in Nassau, staring at a little Cuisinart coffee maker.  Does not use pods.  They have, however, disabled all the ice makers due to COVID.  You now have to go down to the bar to get ice.  Room service doesn’t bring it.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

57 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

...  As for your hair straightener, hair care appliances are allowed because of the riot that would ensue if they weren't.

No doubt!

My better half said as much - by saying she would not leave the cabin without access to certain devices such as that!

Tom

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I’m sitting in my bed in the British Colonial Hilton in Nassau, staring at a little Cuisinart coffee maker.  Does not use pods.  They have, however, disabled all the ice makers due to COVID.  You now have to go down to the bar to get ice.  Room service doesn’t bring it.  EM

That's a cool place. Many years ago we were able to get day passes there to use the "beach" area. Not sure if they still do that or not.

Tom

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

No, the biggest risk is with the thermostatic shut-off switch that shuts off the heating element when the water runs dry in the plastic water reservoir.  This is common to all types of coffee makers.  If it fails, the heating element will melt the plastic, and start it burning.  As for your hair straightener, hair care appliances are allowed because of the riot that would ensue if they weren't.

Thanks for the explanation!  I am blown away by the detail and I hope if I ever need a MacGyver-type of assistance, you will be there!  And yes, hair straighteners are essential🤣

3 hours ago, Sagittarius traveler said:

Maybe they will give a coffee voucher for one free coffee a day 

Ask them to put that as a perk 🤷‍♀️

Yes Royal did this when the coffee machine in the Diamond lounge was out of service. 

• Like 2

I am halfway enjoying the back and forth on whether a coffeemaker is

1.  required or not for a proper cruise experience.

2.  only for those people who are too lazy to get dressed and go out to get a cup.

3.  unfairly only accessible to those in upper level suites.

4.  a fire hazard and should be banned.

5.  so filled with germs and other yucky things that no one should ever use one.  

It reminds me of the good ole days on CC.  For too long we have been posting about the grim news of the global pandemic, too many cancelled travel plans, and speculating on whether the cruise lines will survive their shutdown.  I am thoroughly enjoying the debate and before someone takes offense, I am not making fun of anyone's opinion.

I am wondering when my favorite topic will show up....STRAWS OR NO STRAWS.  For the record, I like them!  It's been a tough couple of days for me, so thanks for adding a smile to my face. 😊

Dawn

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

I am halfway enjoying the back and forth on whether a coffeemaker is

1.  required or not for a proper cruise experience.

2.  only for those people who are too lazy to get dressed and go out to get a cup.

3.  unfairly only accessible to those in upper level suites.

4.  a fire hazard and should be banned.

5.  so filled with germs and other yucky things that no one should ever use one.  

It reminds me of the good ole days on CC.  For too long we have been posting about the grim news of the global pandemic, too many cancelled travel plans, and speculating on whether the cruise lines will survive their shutdown.  I am thoroughly enjoying the debate and before someone takes offense, I am not making fun of anyone's opinion.

I am wondering when my favorite topic will show up....STRAWS OR NO STRAWS.  For the record, I like them!  It's been a tough couple of days for me, so thanks for adding a smile to my face. 😊

Dawn

Exactly - I started a thread yesterday precisely to lighten things up (about the Police Academy "guy who made all the sounds"). I'm trying to get out of the groove of "everything covid/vaccine/etc" !

Tom

• Like 2

With all this time on my hands (quarantining you know), I've been trying to update my cruise photo galleries on SmugMug (below). I realized that the most recent cruise I had in there was from 2013, and I KNOW we've sailed since then, LOL!

In fact, during that process - of getting at least a few cruises added, I did find a couple interesting (and timely) pics from our NCL Breakaway cruise (NY to Bermuda in 2013). We had asked our butler about getting something pressed. During that conversation he mentioned that we could have use of an IRON in our cabin if we'd like one... OK !

20130916_134723-L.jpg

20130916_174557-L.jpg

Having so many Carnival cruises under our belts - I was shocked!

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fear not, friends. Kmom here to solve this (first world) problem.

Step 1. Bring along a double wall steel water bottle with a tight screw top lid. Better yet, bring 2 or 3.

Step 2. Fill up at the 24 hour FREE COFFEE station in the Lido Marketplace before beddy bye.

Step 3. Drink whenever you wish in privacy, grungy self-condition notwithstanding.

Step 4. Wash out in bathroom sink and repeat tomorrow night.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Fear not, friends. Kmom here to solve this (first world) problem.

Step 1. Bring along a double wall steel water bottle with a tight screw top lid. Better yet, bring 2 or 3.

Step 2. Fill up at the 24 hour FREE COFFEE station in the Lido Marketplace before beddy bye.

Step 3. Drink whenever you wish in privacy, grungy self-condition notwithstanding.

Step 4. Wash out in bathroom sink and repeat tomorrow night.

Will that keep the coffee hot overnight?

I like a cup of coffee first thing in the morning and sometimes later in the day.  I always try to book a cabin on the lido deck for a number of reasons.  Easy access to coffee is one of them.  I know a lot of people don't like the free coffee, but I'm fine with it.

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Having so many Carnival cruises under our belts - I was shocked!

Typically, NCL keeps very close tabs on the irons, and comes back to check if your done with it in a pretty short time.

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

Will that keep the coffee hot overnight?

I like a cup of coffee first thing in the morning and sometimes later in the day.  I always try to book a cabin on the lido deck for a number of reasons.  Easy access to coffee is one of them.  I know a lot of people don't like the free coffee, but I'm fine with it.

It keeps it hot enough for me, not burning, steaming hot though.  My first Carnival cruise we bought the insulated covered cups in the gift shop - they were blue or red clear plastic over the inside shiny liner.  They worked fine and the coffee was still what I would call a hard warm when I needed it. (They've since fallen apart). I can't drink the stuff scalding anyway and this way I don't need to add any fatty, milky calories to cool it down. I think the stuff in the buffet is about the same as what you'd get in a hotel coffee maker anyway.

The problem with those Carnival cups was I was worried in case of a tip due to shop motion, their tops were not 100% watertight. That didn't happen but I have since brought more secure bottles just in case. You could get an actual old time name brand Thermos which is rated to keep coffee hot 24 hours and it would be good for shore excursions with ice water that would likewise stay cold all day. Yeti is supposed to keep coffee warm for about 5 to 6 hours and I would say the Carnival souvenir cup was close to that, or close enough for me. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

It keeps it hot enough for me, not burning, steaming hot though.  My first Carnival cruise we bought the insulated covered cups in the gift shop - they were blue or red clear plastic over the inside shiny liner.  They worked fine and the coffee was still what I would call a hard warm when I needed it. (They've since fallen apart). I can't drink the stuff scalding anyway and this way I don't need to add any fatty, milky calories to cool it down. I think the stuff in the buffet is about the same as what you'd get in a hotel coffee maker anyway.

The problem with those Carnival cups was I was worried in case of a tip due to shop motion, their tops were not 100% watertight. That didn't happen but I have since brought more secure bottles just in case. You could get an actual old time name brand Thermos which is rated to keep coffee hot 24 hours and it would be good for shore excursions with ice water that would likewise stay cold all day. Yeti is supposed to keep coffee warm for about 5 to 6 hours and I would say the Carnival souvenir cup was close to that, or close enough for me. 

We do have yeti type tumblers that we bring on every cruise.  I sometimes pour coffee into it in the morning so I can take it to a lounge chair.  I use it for tea and cold drinks later in the day.  I never thought about putting coffee into it at night for the morning.  I will have to give that a try.  We're on the lido deck for our next cruise, so getting a quick cup of coffee is easy.  But the cruise after that we aren't, so having some coffee as soon as I wake up would be nice.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1