What to do in Cozumel Mexico ???

CENT

Its my birthday the day we dock in Sep 2021. and dont know witch one to pick. Due to no new reviews. I was thinking about  the All Inclusive Isla Pasion by Twister. any suggestion?

Rent a motor scooter across the street from the pier, and ride it from there, south along the west coast on Quintana Roo C-1, to the south end of the island on the beach road, have a beer at the bar on the south tip of the island, and then work up the east side of the island, still on Quintana Roo C-1, and finally across the middle of the island on Transversal de Cozumel (still Quinatana Roo C-1) back to the pier.  A very enjoyable ride, and it is impossible to get lost as the loop is essentially one road.  You will see many things that most people don't see when they visit Cozumel.

Edited by vintagegarage
  • Like 2

I would definitely not ride a scooter here, rent a car if you want to drive. Scooters are not as unsafe outside San Miguel, but still you're better off in a car and you can see more of thr island faster. But if you want to enjoy yourself just take an excursion or tour that sounds interesting to you. If you plan on drinking obviously don't drive, enjoy the ride with a guide.

Our favorite watering hole is the Bob Marley Bar at the southern edge of the east coast. Our favorite beach club is Playa Palancar (when not packed with cruisers). But really not an interesting day just to drive around the island IMHO, just a highway with several beach clubs along the west coast, and a few bars along the rugged east coast.

The PI excursion would be fun...Or perhaps one of the popular beach clubs...But if you want something less touristy you can just rent a car from ISIS Rentadora and head to a quieter beach...

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 12:01 PM, shellunderwater said:

Cozumel Bar Hop.  Amazing time, done it 7 times, heading to another in a few months.  Cant wait.  Love me some Bar Hop. 

DW and I will be doing this for the first time in April. Can't wait!

• Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 6:02 AM, vintagegarage said:

Rent a motor scooter across the street from the pier, and ride it from there, south along the west coast on Quintana Roo C-1, to the south end of the island on the beach road, have a beer at the bar on the south tip of the island, and then work up the east side of the island, still on Quintana Roo C-1, and finally across the middle of the island on Transversal de Cozumel (still Quinatana Roo C-1) back to the pier.  A very enjoyable ride, and it is impossible to get lost as the loop is essentially one road.  You will see many things that most people don't see when they visit Cozumel.

How long does it take to motor around the island?

1 hour ago, malawijay said:

How long does it take to motor around the island?

It is about 40 miles round the main road and I would say allow a minimum of 90 minutes, with no stops. Not sure why you would want to “ just” drive round. We would allow a minimum of 4 hours with various stops - bars, beaches, photo shoots, Punta Sur, ruins - too much for one trip. We have been many times.

We would also advise against renting a scooter, like @blue_water ( too many accidents and deaths) and for us personally, also a rental vehicle since we like to have a drink, so we choose the Bar Hop or taxi driver. If you go the self- drive route be sure to research insurance thoroughly and remember the police are out in force looking for cruisers that don’t want to miss their ship.

It’s true you can’t get lost just research what your priorities are to see and do.

jjI can see bar hopping once or twice, especially if you can see some of the real sights…but looking forward to an 8th bar hop? We visit Coz from our home in the Riviera Maya and we have a couple favorite spots to have a drink while there. But I’m just curious, doesn’t that get old after awhile?

• Like 1

Each time, you meet new people on the Hop.  One, the people we met were from our ship, we hung out for the rest of the trip.

You can drink and not worry about getting back in time.

It is a little party each trip.

That side of Cozumel is wonderful.

We aren't interested in other excursions as they are largely the same every stop.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 9:55 PM, blue_water said:

jjI can see bar hopping once or twice, especially if you can see some of the real sights…but looking forward to an 8th bar hop? We visit Coz from our home in the Riviera Maya and we have a couple favorite spots to have a drink while there. But I’m just curious, doesn’t that get old after awhile?

If I may...not trying to be a jerk....

One thing we value about the Hop is feeling confident that we will be back to the ship on time.  No matter how much "fun" we have.  The Bar Hop Babysitter gets us on the bus and gets us to our port at the end.  Peace of mind.

If we lived nearby, we wouldn't worry about missing the ship and the cost associated with flying to the next port.  If you miss the last ferry due to too much fun, hit a hotel for the night, catch the ferry in the AM.

Get comments and discussion.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:55 PM, blue_water said:

But I’m just curious, doesn’t that get old after awhile?

22 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

Each time, you meet new people on the Hop.  One, the people we met were from our ship, we hung out for the rest of the trip.

22 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

We aren't interested in other excursions as they are largely the same every stop.

I am sure any activity/excursion done exclusively would get old, however sometimes it is also a factor of how often you visit.

We have done the Bar Hop “several” times (not as many as 7!) and agree each time is “different” depending on the group - sometimes good/ sometimes not so good! We enjoy it for a change, to socialize and because it is well organized. We also like the security of knowing we will most likely get back to the ship on time, providing there are no unforeseen circumstances. Other times we prefer a private driver to set our own pace and be in charge of our itinerary. We like to stop for a drink and would not rent a vehicle. I would also hope that if we have a breakdown, given the huge network of taxi drivers on Cozumel I stand a better chance of getting a replacement ride compared to a rental car. I agree if staying on, or close to the island those factors are less important. We enjoy the east side, except when sargassum is predominant, and these are our preferred methods of visiting. There are locations I would visit on a land visit that I wouldn’t consider from a cruise ship.

That said there are many things to do on Cozumel and we wouldn’t do any of them exclusively. We enjoy the back streets of the town and many west coast locations. When visiting on a cruise ship we rarely do AI beach clubs. When staying on the island we often do AI since we have to provide our own food!

Hopefully the OP @CENT has made a decision since they will be sailing soon. If not, perhaps they could come back and give us some idea of the type of activities they prefer. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 10:47 AM, shellunderwater said:

If I may...not trying to be a jerk....

One thing we value about the Hop is feeling confident that we will be back to the ship on time.  No matter how much "fun" we have.  The Bar Hop Babysitter gets us on the bus and gets us to our port at the end.  Peace of mind.

If we lived nearby, we wouldn't worry about missing the ship and the cost associated with flying to the next port.  If you miss the last ferry due to too much fun, hit a hotel for the night, catch the ferry in the AM.

Get comments and discussion.

Yes you are so right about the distinction between getting back to the ship and just getting back to your nearby home. And you are definitely not a jerk, I hope I didn’t come off that way! 😄

We do love having a home in the Riviera Maya but we also enjoy cruising. We started our Caribbean discovery 20+ years ago by cruising and it is a great way to easily experience several Caribbean nations. We’ve only cruised 9 times though, mainly because we started returning to many of the destinations on land vacations and our favorite place here in Mexico. So as a result, we’ve not visited any cruise destination more than a few times and we still have more to see everywhere. But I can see doing this bar hop for fun, especially if you’ve already experienced the “real” island and people on prior visits. I know many who have been to a port multiple times choose to stay on the ship when returning and that makes sense too. But we’d be like you and want to at least do something! 

And yes c-leg5 we too have always enjoyed seeing the areas away from the busier areas and meeting the people and experiencing their culture. The wonderful people here and their culture are THE reason we chose to retire here.

Enjoy your cruising, we hope to be doing the same soon! 🤗

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2021 at 11:59 AM, shellunderwater said:

I agree with you! We're FOHO's, been 4 times, will probably go more. Love the eastern side of the island, the big waves crashing on the big rocks, the white sand beaches, the sparseness of buildings, the friendliness of the people. Have you tried the Peanut Butter Tequila at the last bar? Great guide, bus is clean and air conditioned, ride out and back is good. So glad to see they survived the lack of cruise ships.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

I agree with you! We're FOHO's, been 4 times, will probably go more. Love the eastern side of the island, the big waves crashing on the big rocks, the white sand beaches, the sparseness of buildings, the friendliness of the people. Have you tried the Peanut Butter Tequila at the last bar? Great guide, bus is clean and air conditioned, ride out and back is good. So glad to see they survived the lack of cruise ships.

Have a bottle of PBT at home right now.  Love it. 

• Like 1