Tips for reasonable one way flight back from Rome to US for a TA cruise

Next April we are going on our first TA on Odyssey from Ft Lauderdale to Rome. I’ve started checking the one way return flights on ChoiceAir and the prices are very high, more than our JS fares!  Do any of you experienced TA travelers have any tips, tricks or ideas on how to find a reasonably priced one way flight home? Thanks.

Best option is Air2sea via RCL. Two reasons, their one way flights are better priced, you get a lower rate if it goes down and you get a free cancellation and refund if the cruise is cancelled. After all the hassles with the pandemic it only makes sense to use the cruiseline for flights.

Edited by tottenhamfc
Spelling errors
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

Best option is Air2sea via RCL. Two reasons, their one way flights are better priced, you get a lower rate if it goes down and you get a free cancellation and refund if the cruise is cancelled. After all the hassles with the pandemic it only makes sense to use the cruiseline for flights.

thats where I was looking and now the prices I see are more than 2,500pp

13 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We also suggest air 2 sea. We have gotten good one way fares from the site. 

good luck. 

We always have used Air2Sea (choiceair) but their prices are very high now. Maybe they’ll come down?

I booked airfare as a multicity trip for my TA this fall - first leg is flight to Rome, second leg after TA is return from Miami to Baltimore. 

I have a friend who lives in Florida and does a lot of TAs and her return flight is from Miami to Orlando, but it counts as a multi city and is usually about half of what they want for one way.

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Next April we are going on our first TA on Odyssey from Ft Lauderdale to Rome. I’ve started checking the one way return flights on ChoiceAir and the prices are very high, more than our JS fares!  Do any of you experienced TA travelers have any tips, tricks or ideas on how to find a reasonably priced one way flight home? Thanks.

Yes,

We have used Choice Air one, but other times we used miles from Delta.  Example we had a TA that was cancelled for this OCT and our flight from JAX to ROME one way were 35,000 miles each.

If you haven't enough miles, check kayak.com for discounted flights.

Just checked flights from FLL to Rome and the prices are around 600pp one way in April. You can also go to London or Frankfurt and maybe find cheaper flights. You might be best to buy insurance if you dont use Air2 sea. It is too complicated right now as the airlines do not care about the reasons for the flight. They just sell A seat and the rest is up to you.

As @MommaBear55 suggested, TAP (Air Portugal) usually have very competitive pricing for flights across the Pond even when booking one-way. Note that when flying from Rome, you would have to connect in Lisbon, which is not a big deal as it's very small for a capital city airport, just one terminal (well, 2, if you count the low-cost one). There is also the option of stopping over in Lisbon at no extra charge.

That said, TAP are notoriously bad at customer service when it comes to refunds for cancelled, delayed or changed flights. Although the couple of times I've had to contact them about minor issues they were dealt with promptly and to my satisfaction, there are loads of comments on their social media platforms from angry people who have not been able to get redress. Obviously the pandemic has heightened the problems.

Lastly, TAP are Star Alliance so if you have, for example, United miles, you can probably use those rather than cash.

55 minutes ago, herbanrenewal said:

I booked airfare as a multicity trip for my TA this fall - first leg is flight to Rome, second leg after TA is return from Miami to Baltimore. 

I have a friend who lives in Florida and does a lot of TAs and her return flight is from Miami to Orlando, but it counts as a multi city and is usually about half of what they want for one way.

That’s a great idea! We can book Rome to Miami, then Miami to Orlando?

30 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

Just checked flights from FLL to Rome and the prices are around 600pp one way in April. You can also go to London or Frankfurt and maybe find cheaper flights. You might be best to buy insurance if you dont use Air2 sea. It is too complicated right now as the airlines do not care about the reasons for the flight. They just sell A seat and the rest is up to you.

We’ll be flying from Rome back home. Our TA starts in Ft Lauderdale.

2 hours ago, tottenhamfc said:

So you are suggesting to add another leg onto the journey and that lowers the price? I know you can book a return and not use the return ticket and that is way cheaper also. Probably different to And from Europe though.

Not always good when you check bags.

1 hour ago, Fabulous97 said:

Also if you can go from Miami there will be more options. Just had a quick look prices start from $300 each.

Miami is probably the better choice for international most of the time.  Like JFK when flying out the NYC area.

• Like 1

We often utilize our airline miles for one way TA flights. Also agree that you check from other cities. We live in Denver so we saved a lot by booking separate legs for our next flight to Barcelona. EWR to BCN was 1/3 the price of DEN- BCN. The Den to EWR leg was also reasonable. Just allow plenty of time to allow for delays. We booked both legs on United. I price compare on skiplagged and book directly with airlines.

• Like 1

My go to is Kayak.

I just ran it for the middle of April, and as others have said, cheapest is TAP.  As long as $603 each.  Two stops, Lisbon and Newark.

If you want one stop only, bests is Aer Lingus for $828, with one stop in Dublin.

Delta/Air France/KLM is in the mid $700 range with 1 or two stops.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SRF said:

My go to is Kayak.

I just ran it for the middle of April, and as others have said, cheapest is TAP.  As long as $603 each.  Two stops, Lisbon and Newark.

If you want one stop only, bests is Aer Lingus for $828, with one stop in Dublin.

Delta/Air France/KLM is in the mid $700 range with 1 or two stops.

google flights is good also