New to oceania- dress code

LoriAB

I’m a newbie planning for a trip in April 2023. I noticed on some papers that sandals are not to be worn in the dining room. Being a FL resident, most of my shoes (even the dressy ones) are open in the front or the back. Is this going to be an issue for me? Thanks.

not  a problem with dressy sandal  no beach type  for dinner in the Restaurants 

You could were them in the Terrace 

smart casual  is acceptable  for dinner  for ladies

for men long trousers(slacks) & a collared shirt  Jacket optional

Enjoy

• Like 1

That's interesting. I've never seen that info before. It's pretty casual. I am guessing they don't want flip flops, although I have some nice flip flops I do wear. I've never seen anyone turned away because they weren't dressed correctly. You will see a range of the interpretation of 'casual'. My husband has a couple pair of travel pants (yes the kind with the big pockets) and he wears them to dinner every night. They look nice enough with a casual untucked shirt. 

It's one of the things we love about O!!

Unless they've changed it since 2017 (when we last cruised), O's dress code was "country club casual". That was absolutely meaningless to me - we do not have country clubs in the UK. I asked about it on a food forum I use, which had many American contributors, but never really got a good definition. The best that I could translate into British English was "smart casual" (as though I was going to a mid-range neighbourhood restaurant). Now, for me, that involves chinos and a polo (or smarter short-sleeved shirt). No flip-flops. I was fine with that and certainly did not look out of place.

I never saw anyone "underdressed" but I've no idea if that just meant everybody was conforming or some folk had been refused entry to the dining room.

41 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What new rule is that?

I think what they are referring to is “sandals not permitted  in the dining room”   

If that really is a rule most women would never be let it!!

Dress code is a major issue with me....and so i am just about to make myself very unpopular.

As a previous CC stated, as Brits "Country Club Casual" doesn't compute, so for us we put this into the same box as "Elegant casual".......FOR DINNER SERVICE !

So for me (male) this means, smart slacks (Smart Chino`s) and a long sleeve tailored shirt, not i am afraid a polo shirt or cargo pants and certainly no trainers or walking boots.

On a previous Oceania cruise i actually complained to a restaurant manager and they highlighted the dress code on an additional day, asking for people to adhere, as it leaves the staff feeling very uncomfortable to refuse admission.

You see, my view is that if jeans, polo shirts and trainers was acceptable, then i could have flown very light with no more than a rucksack......but i adhered to Oceania`s dress code and flew with two suitcases!

Once again apologies if i have offended!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rivercruisevirgin said:

Dress code is a major issue with me....and so i am just about to make myself very unpopular.

As a previous CC stated, as Brits "Country Club Casual" doesn't compute, so for us we put this into the same box as "Elegant casual".......FOR DINNER SERVICE !

So for me (male) this means, smart slacks (Smart Chino`s) and a long sleeve tailored shirt, not i am afraid a polo shirt or cargo pants and certainly no trainers or walking boots.

I think most people do dress smartly   there are a few that interpret the dress code suggestions to suit themselves

I have said before they need to show photos  maybe in the Blue book of what is not acceptable  for dinner service in the restaurants  & what is not

DH wears dress slacks & button down shirt  he stopped taking his blazer  a few years ago

JMO

25 minutes ago, Rivercruisevirgin said:

On a previous Oceania cruise i actually complained to a restaurant manager and they highlighted the dress code on an additional day, asking for people to adhere, as it leaves the staff feeling very uncomfortable to refuse admission.

You see, my view is that if jeans, polo shirts and trainers was acceptable, then i could have flown very light with no more than a rucksack......but i adhered to Oceania`s dress code and flew with two suitcases!

Your interpretation is partly right but mostly wrong. I can't see complaining to a Maitre de when the misunderstanding is yours, not the other people. A Polo shirt is more than acceptable, if by trainers you mean tennis shoes or sneakers, then while tacky probably slips by. I guess I don't know what walking boots are. Cargo pants are similar to a few other things, technically not outside the dress code, but not what I'd wear to dinner. On the other hand I have no problem with Cargo shorts at breakfast or lunch. 

Just for future reference, dress jeans, polos and other short sleeve shirts(no sleeveless for men though) are acceptable and within the guidelines of Oceania's dress code. So no need in the future to fly with two suitcases, unless you prefer to dress that way. Your World, Your Way. 

• Like 1

This doesn't have to be complicated:

IS THERE A DRESS CODE?

Updated June 6, 2018

Recommended on board clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM. Baseball caps may be worn in the Terrace Café after 6 PM. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, khuselid said:

That's interesting. I've never seen that info before. It's pretty casual. I am guessing they don't want flip flops, although I have some nice flip flops I do wear. I've never seen anyone turned away because they weren't dressed correctly. You will see a range of the interpretation of 'casual'. My husband has a couple pair of travel pants (yes the kind with the big pockets) and he wears them to dinner every night. They look nice enough with a casual untucked shirt. 

It's one of the things we love about O!!

Believe me they do turn people away due to dress..

Jancruz1

Hi, Lori, and welcome to Oceania!  You have now reopened a can of worms that can never be completely closed.  For every Oceania passenger, there is a uniquely-personal perspective of what the dress code is -- or, for some, what it should be.  Clearly, based on DaQueen's posting above, Oceania has quite a broad policy for what is acceptable evening attire.  I'd recommend as guidelines: 1) If you could wear it to the beach, it's probably not something you'd want to wear to the dining room and, 2) If you're going to wear jeans, make sure they're dressy - not ratty, worn, ripped, or raggedy at the cuffs.  The maître d's - as well as Oceania, in general - seem to be quite accommodating as long as people make some effort.  Good luck!

(BTW, this is just my own "uniquely-personal perspective".)

Edited by Cliff-FLL
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rivercruisevirgin said:

Certainly not offended by your choices and/or comments. As I said, I didnt feel out of place wearing a polo nor, I presume, did the not inconsiderable number of others wearing similar.

I have no problems with a business, whether restaurant or cruise ship, setting an understandable dress code. The customer can then decide whether that place is for them or not. For example, I choose not to visit restaurants or holiday on cruise chips that require me to wear a jacket. It's no big deal not to eat/travel in that way. FWIW, my favourite Michelin starred restaurant, near home, has this as its dress code "Please be advised that our dress code is smart and informal. Sports wear, ripped denim or shorts are not accepted".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rivercruisevirgin said:

No need to apologize, but no one is telling me how to dress in a venue I paid for, that's why I go on Oceania.  If casual dress offends you and impacts your enjoyment there are many very stuffy cruise lines you can enjoy.

• Like 2

I have never been offended by what another person wears - just not important to my enjoyment of my wife or my miso sea bass, duck and watermelon salad or two appetizers of hot and cold foie gras. in fact I seldom notice.

My beautiful wife dresses up for me and I try and dress smartly for her. Isn't that the way it should be?

• Like 10

On 7/28/2021 at 5:25 AM, Harters said:

Now, for me, that involves chinos and a polo (or smarter short-sleeved shirt).

That's how my husband dressed. When at the specialty ones he wore what I guess I'd call a casual dress shirt 🙂 Long sleeved but with a subdued check or stripe. Tucked in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clo said:

Long sleeved

I have issues with long sleeved. Shirt makers assume that, if a customer has my chest size, then they must be getting on for 2M tall. No account is made for the short, fat men like me. A long sleeved on me has sleeves flapping about in the wind, they're so long. So, short sleeved for me - it did for work, it does for Michelin 3 star restaurants, it does for Oceania.

• Like 2

The dress code is more of a guide than gospel. Choose what to wear to a particular venue as the same as what you would wear to a similar venue in your home town. Linen table cloths and crystal in the Grand Dining room or an upscale buffet at the Terrace Cafe. Dressy Jeans is an oxymoron, there is no such thing. Hats and caps should never be worn indoors.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Harters said:

I have issues with long sleeved. Shirt makers assume that, if a customer has my chest size, then they must be getting on for 2M tall. No account is made for the short, fat men like me. A long sleeved on me has sleeves flapping about in the wind, they're so long. So, short sleeved for me - it did for work, it does for Michelin 3 star restaurants, it does for Oceania.

Are dress shirts no longer sold this way?

Here's the scoop: The first number on the size tag refers to the neck size and the second number is the sleeve length. So a shirt size “15 34/35” means that the neck is 15 inches and the sleeve is between 34 and 35 inches.Feb 20, 2020