Lost vax card, but she has health record showing vaccine history. Are we safe?

LoriAB

On 8/2/2021 at 8:47 PM, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Can you try the local health department? My parents got vaccinated in January before the CDC cards were wide spread. They were able to go to the health department with the records they did have in April to get the CDC card.

Good idea!

When we received our 1st dose of Pfizer, the person administering the shot at the drive-thru told us to bring the card when we came for our 2nd shot.   Well, we brought that card and they gave us an entirely new card any way!  Now we have TWO CARDS, one for each dose!!!  Do you think this will be a problem?

On 8/3/2021 at 6:20 AM, Blackduck59 said:

The 2nd most valuable travel document that anyone has (right after the passport) and she lost it? Okay, and the idea that an official document that was lost or stolen can't be re-issued? Hmm.

So what? People lose their passports, wallets etc every day for the one or other reason.

The paper card isn't really all that official. It's a piece of paper that happens to have a CDC logo on it together with handwritten information and a stamp of the pharmacy, not even a signature.

While there are electronic records (better hope there isn't a typo or you'll never be able to trace it) the fact that this isn't a government issued ID such as a drivers license or a passport makes it a lot harder to be replaced.

1 hour ago, HappyCamper49 said:

When we received our 1st dose of Pfizer, the person administering the shot at the drive-thru told us to bring the card when we came for our 2nd shot.   Well, we brought that card and they gave us an entirely new card any way!  Now we have TWO CARDS, one for each dose!!!  Do you think this will be a problem?

I doubt this will be a problem. Some people get their shots in different countries and have two entirely different sets of verification. It's highly inconvenient for you though.

Who ran that "drive through"? One of the reasons why I had mine done at a hospital was to make sure it's a bit more professional plus being near medical professionals should something go wrong.

1 minute ago, Fly and Sail said:

So what? People lose their passports, wallets etc every day for the one or other reason.

The paper card isn't really all that official. It's a piece of paper that happens to have a CDC logo on it together with handwritten information and a stamp of the pharmacy, not even a signature.

While there are electronic records (better hope there isn't a typo or you'll never be able to trace it) the fact that this isn't a government issued ID such as a drivers license or a passport makes it a lot harder to be replaced.

Sorry if my response was offensive to you. Mine is a crappy little card too but I know where it is and it isn't in the car. And I don't think I have ever traded a car in without checking every thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sorry if my response was offensive to you. Mine is a crappy little card too but I know where it is and it isn't in the car. And I don't think I have ever traded a car in without checking every thing.

No offense taken. I think this hasn't really been designed all that well to be honest. Issuing a card that has no unique tracer such as a serial number in a rather awkward format on plain paper, able to be replicated in your living room... would it be too much to ask to at least create something that has something like a watermark or woven-in reflective strip like a bank note? Let alone fitting in your wallet. I think not being able to fit comfortably in your wallet is a major reason why people will end up losing it.

1 minute ago, Fly and Sail said:

No offense taken. I think this hasn't really been designed all that well to be honest. Issuing a card that has no unique tracer such as a serial number in a rather awkward format on plain paper, able to be replicated in your living room... would it be too much to ask to at least create something that has something like a watermark or woven-in reflective strip like a bank note? Let alone fitting in your wallet. I think not being able to fit comfortably in your wallet is a major reason why people will end up losing it.

I agree the current "proof" is lame to the max. I don't know about the US but here in Canada every province is on a different page. In BC the cards are slightly oversized and don't fit properly in a wallet card slot. I'm also leary about laminating it, I would like to put it in a clear sleeve but then I would have to trim the card (is that tampering?) I hope we can get an international standard that looks more official than a hand written card.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I agree the current "proof" is lame to the max. I don't know about the US but here in Canada every province is on a different page. In BC the cards are slightly oversized and don't fit properly in a wallet card slot. I'm also leary about laminating it, I would like to put it in a clear sleeve but then I would have to trim the card (is that tampering?) I hope we can get an international standard that looks more official than a hand written card.

I think the best option is to find a plastic sleeve that suits the format of the card. Someone recommended a product from Amazon that apparently fits but I can't remember which one it was. Then another issue is to have this piece of paper recognized for international travel. I went to Germany this week and they transferred my U.S. issued CDC paper card to an electronic certificate so that's a relief.

The CDC card worked very well to achieve the purpose for which it was intended, i.e. a personal record of the vaccination dates and vaccine details.   It was never meant to be a "vaccine passport".  If the CDC had proposed a standardized and secure national medical record for vaccination status, I suspect the reaction from many people (some of whom are frequent CC posters) would have been extremely hostile to the idea, not to mention that the use of such passports would be illegal in some states.

The consequences of not having a national health system are many, this is but one.  On the other hand, having maximum choices when it comes to healthcare certainly has appeal for those who can afford it.

What would happen at the Wellness check-in at the pier, if a Wellness check-in agent had any questions about the proof of vaccine document being presented, they would call over a supervisor.  At least in Seattle, a  ship's medical officer would be on hand to assist in making the final derision.

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

B - dare I admit that I once forgot about a 'modest' amount of cash I left in my car when trading it in to a dealership, I returned within three (3) hours only to be told there was no cash found in the car... LOL

So much for upgrading my beverage package that year!!!

bon voyage

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I can agree that the whole system of documenting our vaccinations may be something less than desirable for many, yet given the fact that the program was hurriedly rolled out to get as many as possible vaccinated AND given the amount of time for the powers that be to really think through all of the ramifications of documenting vs getting people through the door, the later won out.

I believe they went with the most basic and easiest way... have states document who has gotten what and when and btw here are some cards you can use for now until and unless you come up with something more secure, convenient, and easy for you but you must document in some manner or form.

As such for now, there is at least one (1) form which is recognizable nationally, that shows you have been vaccinated and with which brand. This does not take away the propensity for fraud, then again any determined individual who wants to by pass the system or make a quick buck on by passing the system, will get it done.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

In health and bon voyage

And same to you!  You make excellent points (as usual).

The CDC card was always intended as a record and for the individual being vaccinated and the provider of the second shot (when applicable).  The mistake made by many (me included) was expecting the vast majority of people would seek to "get through the door" in order to take advantage of the availability of the vaccine as soon as they could in order to avoid getting, and sharing, a disease that could be dangerous.  Had it been anticipated that the whole issue would become a red/blue flashpoint and there would be a long-term need to differentiate between vaccinated and non-vaccinated the documentation system might have been developed differently.  Who knows?

• Thanks 1

I believe that you should direct this question to your cruise line.

They are the final arbiters of what  vaccine documentation is acceptable.   

The cruise line will be aware of any similar foreign country vax. certificate requirements depending on the itinerary.  These  may in fact be the basis of the cruise line requirement.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jgmorgan said:

Where's the fun in that?  If everyone did that there would be no need for our never-ending speculation.😀 

I know.  But the bottom line is if the cruise line check in desk rejects the vaccination document and advises you that you cannot board.

Advising them that the experts on CC said it would be OK will not work very well for you.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure why people would think that the actual verifiable health record would not be accepted by cruise line in lieu of a vaccine card. The cards can be easily forged (and have been all over this country), health records not so much. Personally I think cruise lines should be requiring the health record over the cards since they are more reliable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iancal said:

I know.  But the bottom line is if the cruise line check in desk rejects the vaccination document and advises you that you cannot board.

Advising them that the experts on CC said it would be OK will not work very well for you.

Of course it will work well, on the way home without sailing....LOL

bon voyage

22 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Not sure why people would think that the actual verifiable health record would not be accepted by cruise line in lieu of a vaccine card. The cards can be easily forged (and have been all over this country), health records not so much. Personally I think cruise lines should be requiring the health record over the cards since they are more reliable.

I only have the card and no health record associated with taking the vaccine...

bon voyage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Not always.  Our local Fire Dept. gave us both shots and we have the little CDC cards as proof.

When I went into our Texas Health Resources My Chart, both vaccinations are listed for me but only the first one for my husband.    Guess it didn't get fed into the computers correctly or something and they can't correct the record.   

On 8/12/2021 at 7:54 PM, iancal said:

My experience when calling Celebrity is that you place 5 calls and get 5 different answers, none of which are binding. Because in the end it won't help you either if you tell people at the port "I was told this by the service center".

Also check with airlines and any foreign destinations if appplicable.

Friend flew  to Ireland and they wanted "the card", not anything on a cell phone.

She  saw folks without cards pulled to a sep line.. hadcno idea if they were allowed to board.!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

My experience when calling Celebrity is that you place 5 calls and get 5 different answers, none of which are binding. Because in the end it won't help you either if you tell people at the port "I was told this by the service center".

Either have five (5) different responses in writing from the responder OR review the website and printout what is 'explicitly' written there as the policy.

Many of us do complain about the different responses received from different CSA's, the real question for me is ask, where I can find it at the website. Because that person will not be at dockside when checking in to verify the information they gave you... and good luck trying to get them on the phone when trying to check in too...

Unfortunately, in the current environment, we all have to do a bit more work to get on vacation rather we like it or not. AND as most conveyances of transportation will tell us is: It is our responsibility to know what we need before leaving home.

Not fun for a few of us before getting on vacation, but well worth it for those of us who really, really, really want to hit the decks and high waters!!!

In health and bon voyage

On 8/14/2021 at 6:25 AM, Bo1953 said:

Either have five (5) different responses in writing from the responder OR review the website and printout what is 'explicitly' written there as the policy.

Many of us do complain about the different responses received from different CSA's, the real question for me is ask, where I can find it at the website. Because that person will not be at dockside when checking in to verify the information they gave you... and good luck trying to get them on the phone when trying to check in too...

Unfortunately, in the current environment, we all have to do a bit more work to get on vacation rather we like it or not. AND as most conveyances of transportation will tell us is: It is our responsibility to know what we need before leaving home.

Not fun for a few of us before getting on vacation, but well worth it for those of us who really, really, really want to hit the decks and high waters!!!

In health and bon voyage