Royal swapping ships and making cabin assignments

Royal is replacing rhapsody with serenade.   For those of you who’ve gone through this before….how did Royal handle the cabin types?  I have a junior suite booked on rhapsody, but there are way fewer (like nearly 40 fewer) on the new ship.

Did you find out your new cabin assignment before the date you had to accept the ship change or request a refund?  We have until 24 Aug to decide.  I’m looking for double points in a suite and will cancel if they move me into a balcony for half the points.  Just wondering what others have experienced.

10 hours ago, dianajo67 said:

Anyone know if you can move a NRD from a cancelled/swapped ship cruise to a completely different cruise…or is everything just tied up once they decide to cancel?

Yes, but you will pay the prevailing rate on the new cruise.

10 hours ago, dianajo67 said:

Royal is replacing rhapsody with serenade.   For those of you who’ve gone through this before….how did Royal handle the cabin types?  I have a junior suite booked on rhapsody, but there are way fewer (like nearly 40 fewer) on the new ship.

Did you find out your new cabin assignment before the date you had to accept the ship change or request a refund?  We have until 24 Aug to decide.  I’m looking for double points in a suite and will cancel if they move me into a balcony for half the points.  Just wondering what others have experienced.

Be happy that you get a much better ship!

• Like 1

From what I have seen, they will get you in the same type of cabin as long as they have enough of them on the ship you are being moved to.  Since you are going to a larger ship, it should not be an issue.  If going to a smaller ship, they need to get creative and I would be more concerned.

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

Be happy that you get a much better ship!

We were booked on Liberty and they have switched it for Independence.  These are sister ships so the lay out is similar. We had an outside balcony on deck nine. They told us that new cabins would be assigned. We got the new cabin assignments about 4 weeks before we sail (Aug. 15). They kept us on the same deck and moved us a few cabins closer to the center of the ship so not much of a change. 

My daughter, grandson and a friend are also on this cruise. Due to three in the cabin they were originally on Deck 7 in an outside cabin. When they reassigned they moved them up to Deck 9 on the other side of the ship from us. So it worked out better for us. Kept the same cabin class in both cases. 

• Like 1

Am I missing something, I thought there was no Lifting and Shifting from Rhapsody to any other ship?

No one is being moved?

Or are you just taking the funds from that ship and using that money on a new sailing at it's current prices?

Edited by Jimbo

We were moved from the Independence to the Odyssey.  We had booked a 2-BDR Grand and were worried because there we fewer 2BDRs on the Odyssey and thought we would be downgraded.  Instead when they reassigned us they put us in the Royal Loft Suite.  We were told prior to the final decision date.  The process takes time and goes in stages.  For us it was cabin moved first, but it took time for the original price to be manually applied (we got an invoice for ~$17,000 more than the original, which was then adjusted back down to the original price). 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SoCA6ft5 said:

We were moved from the Independence to the Odyssey.  We had booked a 2-BDR Grand and were worried because there we fewer 2BDRs on the Odyssey and thought we would be downgraded.  Instead when they reassigned us they put us in the Royal Loft Suite.  We were told prior to the final decision date.  The process takes time and goes in stages.  For us it was cabin moved first, but it took time for the original price to be manually applied (we got an invoice for ~$17,000 more than the original, which was then adjusted back down to the original price). 

Yes, I forgot that and it did take some time for the price to be corrected. Ours was paid off and when they made the switch we got a new billing with was an initial shock. But since all of this is being done manually since its not been done before it takes them awhile to correct the billing. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Am I missing something, I thought there was no Lifting and Shifting from Rhapsody to any other ship?

No one is being moved?

Or are you just taking the funds from that ship and using that money on a new sailing at it's current prices?

My cancellation letter said that everyone is being moved to serenade departing the same date (5-12 feb 22)  If we don’t request refund, we are automatically moved.  No mention of 125% FCC.  There are only 36 jr suites on the new ship versus 75 on the cancelled ship.

42 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

My cancellation letter said that everyone is being moved to serenade departing the same date (5-12 feb 22)  If we don’t request refund, we are automatically moved.  No mention of 125% FCC.  There are only 36 jr suites on the new ship versus 75 on the cancelled ship.

But there are more and better full Suites, so you might end up in one of those if Junior Suites are taken.. Just wait and see.

15 hours ago, dianajo67 said:

We were moved from Freedom to Explorer and they gave me an OS very similar to the location I had booked on Freedom. Assignment was done within a week of the announcement.

Sailing on Brilliance changed to Serenade this October. Just announced yesterday and already showing assignment. Went from outside on deck 4 on Brilliance to a superior balcony deck 10 on Serenade.

Thank you all!  I’ll wait until the last minute to decide and hope we get our new cabin assignment to consider before the decision deadline.  I have a NRD and have the opportunity to get a refund for it.  I have too many FCCs already, so don’t want to risk being stuck with another one if they downgrade our cabin type to a balcony room.  Keeping my fingers crossed that we stay in a junior suite minimum.

HOWEVER, I did make a fully refundable deposit on an alternate date as well as a back-up.  I spend a lot of time selecting my cabins and hate having no control!  Of course, the new trip is much more expensive!

3 hours ago, dianajo67 said:

If you get a higher category then you booked, do you have to pay additional? also are you paying whatever the current price is on the new ship to move?

38 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

If you get a higher category then you booked, do you have to pay additional? also are you paying whatever the current price is on the new ship to move?

Don't even think NCL would do that...

41 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

The letter says price protected or refund if the new rate is lower.  Zero mention of having to pay more if they give the upgrade.  I’m paying current price for the backup reservation I made for a different date.

2 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

The letter says price protected or refund if the new rate is lower.  Zero mention of having to pay more if they give the upgrade.  I’m paying current price for the backup reservation I made for a different date.

That's just like a lift and shift then but they are allowing you to book the cruise  on about the same date you had originally on Rhaspody.

So far I have received no letter from Royal or my Travel agent, just sent my travel agent an email to see what are options are?

Your second sentence what does that mean ?, current price for backup reservation?

20 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That's just like a lift and shift then but they are allowing you to book the cruise  on about the same date you had originally on Rhaspody.

So far I have received no letter from Royal or my Travel agent, just sent my travel agent an email to see what are options are?

Your second sentence what does that mean ?, current price for backup reservation?

Second sentence makes total sense to me. No need to explain it further.

Edited by coaster

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Second sentence makes total sense to me. No need to explain it further.

how so?, first sentence says category they selected is price protected?

Is this 1 cruise we are talking about or a 2nd one?

Edited by Jimbo

It would have been nice if they had mentioned something about moving people from Rhapsody to Serenade...if that was an option before I cancelled. I have not received an email and my TA didn't mention it. And it is too late now that I have cancelled. :classic_rolleyes: