Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

32 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Thanks for the thought, but the nearest location that comes up through Covid Clinic is that hour and a half away. This is definitely a puzzlement.

It is a puzzlement . We are able to use several locations including Public Health Dept,  Walgreens, and CVS in southern New Mexico. What does your local doctor or medical facility have to say? 

38 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Thanks for the thought, but the nearest location that comes up through Covid Clinic is that hour and a half away. This is definitely a puzzlement.

I'm sorry, wish it could have worked for you.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

It is a puzzlement . We are able to use several locations including Public Health Dept,  Walgreens, and CVS in southern New Mexico. What does your local doctor or medical facility have to say? 

We haven't asked our doctor yet, but we do plan to do that. Local hospital has shut down testing facility, and I have no idea why that would be. Seems like they should still be doing that, doesn't it?

Edit: I checked back through our county's public health department, and it's the one I looked at yesterday that says results take 4 to 6 days. Doh!

Edited by Sea Hag
more info

7 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

I hope Princess will allow people to cancel and give people a refund. These are unusual times so I hope they offer some flexibility.  If you call them about canceling your cruise, would you share what they say?

Strange, I can't find my post from yesterday.  If you can find it please send me a link.  Thanks. 

45 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

This is stupid.  You get vaccinated AND get a negative test, you shouldn't have to wear a mask.  There will not be asymptomatic spread because NO ONE WILL HAVE IT!   We are scheduled to cruise in November and I'm not sure I want to go now.

Considering that studies have shown that a large number of test yield false negatives, even when people are symptomatic everyone testing negative is not proof that no cases made it on board.  It would mean that probably fewer cases would have than if testing was not required.

It really comes down to the illness incidence rate (which is high and climbing at this time), with a variant that has demonstrated more break through cases and where, unlike the earlier variants, has a high enough viral load for even vaccinated cases to infect others.

• Like 4

Reading a USA Today article that includes HAL which is part of the same HAL Group as Princess led by Jan Swartz they won’t provide testing at USA cruise terminals but will do it for free in Greece…why not in the USA? 😳

"For guests on Eurodam’s Greece cruises, an antigen test will be provided at the pier prior to boarding," Holland America said. "This test will be complimentary, and a negative result will satisfy our new testing requirements."

On hold for 34 minutes, which has been faster than the other calls I have made. 

The Customer service person I talked to said that we would get only 50% back (we're on 9/5) and 75% penalty by 8/8.  No refund for protection plan charges or the port charges at all.   I want to know how people are getting 100% back.  She also had no idea on the excursions.  She said she would fill out a form asking for penalty abatement, but that would cancel our cruise and would have no idea how much we would get back until they cancelled and emailed me. Arggggg!

She said you could get the test on Thurs for Sunday sailing.

37 minutes ago, TrailerNV said:

No refund for protection plan charges or the port charges at all.

She is wrong about at least one thing…when canceling you always get your port fees refunded.

So I’m skeptical about the information you received about this new policy change. Hopefully it was just an uninformed CSR who didn’t know about the 100% refund policy as other passengers are reporting due to the new mask & test policies. Although it hasn’t been disclosed if it’s only valid for certain cruises.

If it were me, I’d have my TA deal with it & if not booked that way would talk to another CSR. Receiving misinformation isn’t anything new & is likely even worse with a new policy.

Edited by Astro Flyer

55 minutes ago, TrailerNV said:

The Customer service person I talked to said that we would get only 50% back (we're on 9/5) and 75% penalty by 8/8.  No refund for protection plan charges or the port charges at all.   I want to know how people are getting 100% back.  She also had no idea on the excursions.  She said she would fill out a form asking for penalty abatement, but that would cancel our cruise and would have no idea how much we would get back until they cancelled and emailed me. Arggggg!

I am surprised.  I do get 100% refund.  After reading your note, I called Princess again to confirm there will be no cancellation fees.  And it should show up in my statement in 5 to 7 business days.

I would call again and ask to speak with a manager.  Don't give up.  The person you spoke with did not know what she was doing.

It was not her business to advise you what date to test for your sailing.  Ask her if she knows how difficult it could be to get tested in some locations.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Edited by CeCe_
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Reading a USA Today article that includes HAL which is part of the same HAL Group as Princess led by Jan Swartz they won’t provide testing at USA cruise terminals but will do it for free in Greece…why not in the USA? 😳

"For guests on Eurodam’s Greece cruises, an antigen test will be provided at the pier prior to boarding," Holland America said. "This test will be complimentary, and a negative result will satisfy our new testing requirements."

Frank....If they do not find a way to give cruisers in Greece a free test. they cannot fill the ship. From this thread you can see how hard it is getting a place to rapid test you in Seattle and Ft Lauderdale....now how do you find a place in Greece?...Barcelona?...Southampton...etc. Damned test has to be done within 72 hours....not less or more....kinda tough....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, spunks said:

Frank....If they do not find a way to give cruisers in Greece a free test. they cannot fill the ship. From this thread you can see how hard it is getting a place to rapid test you in Seattle and Ft Lauderdale....now how do you find a place in Greece?...Barcelona?...Southampton...etc. Damned test has to be done within 72 hours....not less or more....kinda tough....

Actually the requirement for testing at the pier as part of the boarding process was part of the protocols that the countries approved when cruising restarted.  For example Italy with MSC.

The national differences in protocols is why the country the cruise is sailing from has more impact on the protocols followed than the cruise line itself.

55 minutes ago, TrailerNV said:

I finally spoke to Sabrina at Princess. No refund for September 26/21 Majestic cruise. Penalty to cancel is $2135. 
They have Not gotten any memo to say otherwise. 

if you want to be on hold and listen to loud obnoxious music for over an hour call Sabrina. 
lost connection 

We want to go on this cruise   it is just the mask wearing inside that I will have difficulty with, so to respect the rules and others I will enjoy the cruise from my balcony & cabin. Got drink package.  

1 hour ago, TrailerNV said:

You really drew the short straw on this one.

The fact that she didn't know anything about the excursions and port charges leads me to believe she had no idea what she was talking about.

As I recall, the excursions you can do yourself online as long as you aren't too close to embarkation.

I know nothing about the cruise cancellation, but certainly these other details are wrong.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Are you close to sailing? If so that could be a factor for your refund without any cancelation fees?

I asked this and was told No. there is a cancellation penalty. Guess some reps are saying otherwise 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 007colocruz said:

I asked this and was told No. there is a cancellation penalty. Guess some reps are saying otherwise 

Another poster on this thread got 100% money back on their 9/26/21 sailing.  I think there must be too many cancellations on one day that Princess now not allow it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CeCe_ said:

Another poster on this thread got 100% money back on their 9/26/21 sailing.  I think there must be too many cancellations on one day that Princess now not allow it.

That is not what Sabrina said. No memo. Regular cancellation applies. This is typical to get different answers. We are ok keeping this cruise. The worse customer service experience I have ever had with Princess was this call. 

51 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

I am surprised.  I do get 100% refund.  After reading your note, I called Princess again to confirm there will be no cancellation fees.  And it should show up in my statement in 5 to 7 business days.

I would call again and ask to speak with a manager.  Don't give up.  The person you spoke with did not know what she was doing.

It was not her business to advise you what date to test for your sailing.  Ask her if she knows how difficult it could be to get tested in some locations.

I am sorry this happened to you.

What date was your cruise?

1 hour ago, TrailerNV said:

We are getting a full refund for our 8-15 cruise. Tell them you are canceling because of Covid restrictions. See if that works.

• Like 1

Hubby and I were scheduled for 8/15.  Sadly, we had to cancel due to the testing requirement.  We live in a very small town - doctors will only give referrals for testing if you have symptoms.  The Walgreens and Rite Aid nearest to us have a 3-7 day turn around time for results as they use an outside lab.  After most of the day spent trying to figure out testing I gave up!  I did find one place but $239 per person was ridiculous and was over an hour away!

additionally the mask mandate is ridiculous!  

IMHO. Princess should have offered testing at embarkation.  

fortunately Princess refunded 100% and it will be back to us in 5-7 days!

• Like 11

35 minutes ago, DUCHESSRN said:

I can get Rapid Antigen Test $60 each at our Airport ...this is very confusing for us oldies is that Acceptable .

Are you in Reno, NV?  You can schedule the antigen test with CVS for aug 19, aug 20 and get result in less than a day   Princess says PCR or Antigen test but PCR takes couple days to get results

Just now, beaglesandducks said:

Are you in Reno, NV?  You can schedule the antigen test with CVS for aug 19, aug 20 and get result in less than a day   Princess says PCR or Antigen test but PCR takes couple days to get results

That is for aug 22 cruise   Other dates would apply to other cruise dates

4 hours ago, rayandshirl said:

Princess sent us an email yesterday.  Our TA gave us a link to get an appointment on Thursday as we board the ship in Seattle on Sunday.  Test costs $150.00.

So, the TA said anytime Thursday if you sail Sunday? I'm hoping this is the case. Princess should have alluded to exactly what 3 days means. Is it within 72 hours of your boarding? Does the sail day count as one of the three days, and so on. They need to make it clear.

I have seen explanations on this board, but I want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

• Like 1