Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

6 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

The only call I've received from Princess was yesterday when we got an automated message about having to wear masks on our cruise this Sunday.  It's good that they wanted feedback.  Hope you gave it to them!

The lady was very nice.  Basically gathering some feedback, what work to me, what does not work to me, hoping to see you again, etc...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Well I appreciated that they bolded the updated portions but am a little nervous that they took the "beginning August 15th" wording out of the testing requirements.  I will assume that this was a mistake and they aren't saying 48 hours before we are supposed to sailaway that they expect those on the August 8th cruise to provide a test.  It will be a very empty ship if that is the case as everyone will get turned away at the port!

I saw that, too. Had a minor panic and immediately chatted with someone at Princess. This is effective 8/15. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

Did you suggest that they should have done testing at point of embarkation as a service to customers travelling some distance and trying to coordinate this recent requirement?

I had said something like that.

Edited by CeCe_
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chai8 said:

I saw that, too. Had a minor panic and immediately chatted with someone at Princess. This is effective 8/15. 

It's what I assumed but I am happy that you've confirmed with Princess that date is still part of that policy.

• Like 1

I don't know why Princess and the Port of Seattle don't bring a mobile testing lab to Pier 91 and have them do testing for a fee for those who either can't get tested at home or don't know the requirements. WOW! now wouldn't that be simple!! Something like Sound Mobile Diagnostics.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

I’m so confused on the various tests offered.  Here is what I see in Walgreen’s website.  Are we allowed to use all except the middle one?

79E19F15-FCA2-4EDD-92E3-1E8ACB475948.png

I e-mailed my travel agent/nurse this:

“Which of these COVID tests will be accepted by Princess? Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT) from CVS or a Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW) from Walgreens? There is so much miss information.”

This was her reply:

“Either one will work, since you are both vaccinated.”

What I plan on doing is going to CVS in the morning and Walgreens in the afternoon on the Thursday before we cruise out o Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the new updates, I believe the Walgreens IDNOW test is valid.  It is a molecular NAAT test and the new FAQs say those are valid.  Here is the info from princess FAQ. 

• NAAT include: 
    • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
    • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
    • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
    • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
    • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
    • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
    • Isothermal amplification
    • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Informatics Nurse said:

Based on what my TA said, who contacted Princess medical about my question on NAAT Rapid and at home antigen test- the FAQ section is going to be modified.  Based on what they told him via email, I think you'll be able to use the rapid test- but keep watching. 

Both the PCR and IDNow, which is the rapid one are NAAT. 

Thank you for that new info. I will take a look and pray it will work.👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, P.A. said:

Thank you for that new info. I will take a look and pray it will work.👍

I'm just as confused as everyone else, that's why we are going to shotgun it, get a couple of tests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CeCe_ said:

Anyone got a call from Princess Corporate office?  I got a call today wanting to get some feedback in regard to my cancellations.

I did not get a call but I sent an email to Customer Relations advising them that they should follow the lead of NCL who has an agreement with CVS to conduct testing at their ports.  You enter your passenger ID # prior to embarkation and get an antigen test when you arrive at the port.  If it is positive they will then administer a PCR test to verify the results.

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/cruise-line-voluntary-testing

Princess basically told its customer you are on your own in terms of testing two weeks before departure. My wife and I were arriving three days early in Seattle and there was no way I was going to run around a city I have not been to before looking for a test facility and then hoping my results would come in prior to embarkation.

I am glad they gave my a 100% refund but disappointed to miss a cruise they did have testing in place like NCL.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

I am glad they gave my a 100% refund but disappointed to miss a cruise they did have testing in place like NCL.

Please do not let this event ruin your vacation.  My husband and I are celebrating our anniversary, RCL offers testing us at the pier if I couldn't get ourselves tested.  But with the sailing not on Sunday, we have a better chance making it even with PCR.  So we are happy now; we will be cruising!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eaglecw said:

I e-mailed my travel agent/nurse this:

“Which of these COVID tests will be accepted by Princess? Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT) from CVS or a Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW) from Walgreens? There is so much miss information.”

This was her reply:

“Either one will work, since you are both vaccinated.”

What I plan on doing is going to CVS in the morning and Walgreens in the afternoon on the Thursday before we cruise out o Sunday.

Thanks!  It sounds like from Walgreen’s we could use the PCR or the BINAX NOW.  Maybe not the ID NOW?

37 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

Thanks!  It sounds like from Walgreen’s we could use the PCR or the BINAX NOW.  Maybe not the ID NOW?

The IDNow fits the requirements also. It is a molecular NAAT test. It is listed as ok under their requirements.

HOW ACCURATE ARE THE ID NOW COVID-19 TESTS?

Our ID NOW molecular point-of-care test met all testing criteria in the FDA's emergency use authorization (EUA) and we’re continuing to collect more clinical data in the field. The ID NOW instrument uses molecular technology and molecular tests in general are valued for their high level of accuracy in similar settings such as flu testing. Learn more.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/diagnostics-testing/how-id-now-tackles-covid-19.html

https://www.abbott.com/IDNOW/IDNOW-COVID-19-FAQ.html

From Princess's site:

• NAAT include: 
Edited by Coral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, redrobin said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDyxjN6arcA

As a comparison to Princess, here's a new video from 'EECC Travels.' They are on a NCL test cruise. The beginning shows how passengers will be tested and board the Norwegian Encore at Pier 66 in Seattle. Testing is done near the terminal at the Marriott. NCL's process removes the onus of testing from the passenger, gives real-time results, although traveling any distance only to test positive is an obvious downside to testing at embarkation.

Also makes for the interesting question if someone tests positive and cannot board.  Does any responsibility for the passenger rest with NCL at that point or would they be on their own.

3 minutes ago, nocl said:

Also makes for the interesting question if someone tests positive and cannot board.  Does any responsibility for the passenger rest with NCL at that point or would they be on their own.

A friend knows someone who tested positive before boarding a Celebrity ship in Europe. They had to stay at a hotel for 10 days before flying back. They are hoping to get reimbursed by travel insurance. Celebrity did not pitch in.

Edited by Coral

46 minutes ago, Coral said:

The IDNow fits the requirements also. It is a molecular NAAT test. It is listed as ok under their requirements.

HOW ACCURATE ARE THE ID NOW COVID-19 TESTS?

Our ID NOW molecular point-of-care test met all testing criteria in the FDA's emergency use authorization (EUA) and we’re continuing to collect more clinical data in the field. The ID NOW instrument uses molecular technology and molecular tests in general are valued for their high level of accuracy in similar settings such as flu testing. Learn more.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/diagnostics-testing/how-id-now-tackles-covid-19.html

https://www.abbott.com/IDNOW/IDNOW-COVID-19-FAQ.html

From Princess's site:

• NAAT include: 

Thank you so much for the clarification Coral!  This is extremely  helpful!

I will start (or someone else can) a new thread closer to the departure of the first Princess ship mid August.  We need real verification on which tests from which pharmacy will get us on a ship.  Right now, no one knows for sure.  

So many options, with no guidance from Princess.  At least Hawaii made it so specific (trusted partners) that you knew before getting to the airport if you had the correct test.  More than stressful.

If passengers will list their tests, we will have a better idea of where we all can go. 

What we do know is that the test can be taken 3 days before embarkation (regardless of boarding/sailing time).

•  PCR tests are valid

•  NAAT tests are valid

•  Antigen tests are valid

What is not known is home kits, which specific rapid tests, and turn around time.

7 hours ago, 007colocruz said:

This outlines it well with changes in Bold type updated August 6/21 

if the covid-19 pre cruise test is positive they will rebook you or give a 100 percent FCC. Sounds reasonable to me 

Only reasonable to me if Princess reimburses costs for getting to the port city and getting you home again.

As this thread has shown, many people will have to wait until reaching Seattle to be tested or if tested in home area may not have received the results before traveling to Seattle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I will start (or someone else can) a new thread closer to the departure of the first Princess ship mid August.  We need real verification on which tests from which pharmacy will get us on a ship.  Right now, no one knows for sure.  

So many options, with no guidance from Princess.  At least Hawaii made it so specific (trusted partners) that you knew before getting to the airport if you had the correct test.  More than stressful.

If passengers will list their tests, we will have a better idea of where we all can go. 

What we do know is that the test can be taken 3 days before embarkation (regardless of boarding/sailing time).

•  PCR tests are valid

•  NAAT tests are valid

•  Antigen tests are valid

What is not known is home kits, which specific rapid tests, and turn around time.

I thought the Princess FAQ was very specific as to which tests would be accepted. If a passenger has any doubt, consult the administrator of the test to make sure that the test satisfies one of these criteria: 

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include:

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay,
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

• NAAT include:
Edited by geoherb
  • Like 10

9 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

Wow.  How much do the test cost?

I clicked the CVS/NCL link, but it didn't list a price.

If you are hesitant about which test to get, call your local testing center or pharmacy and ask them which off of the list is available to you that complies with what Princess is requesting.

This list has grown since the first announcement so circle  back around and double check since a new option may be available in your area. 

• Like 3

All 3 of these should be accepted under the updated list.

NAAT-Molecular was the one in question before. Those having issues finding Antigen follow up about the ID NOW.

BB0B427A-269B-417D-B3FA-3845634B89B3.jpeg

BA1F1DE5-841C-4E0F-95BD-20C1FD00735A.jpeg

8213CE53-C7B7-4653-91CD-267E70ADCC6B.jpeg

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 2