Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

How do I schedule testing for my (NCL) cruise?

Testing is included at no extra charge with certain cruise line bookings.

Did you contact CVS to ask about whether Princess is one of the certain cruise line bookings that’s participating?

If not then Princess should begin to participate in this program. Instead of having passengers scramble to find an acceptable test they should partner with approved testing sites which as you know Hawaii did for their Safe Travels program.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

It was Rapid Antigen (BinexNow).  Hawaii accepted either rapid test or PCR test.  Results in 20 minutes

Some of the BinexNow tests are home testing kits, which will not be accepted as the tests have to be medically supervised.  Too bad ... that would make life a lot easier.  

Walgreens offers the rapid antigen test but the closest one to us here in San Francisco is in Oregon.  Really??  It's not like we are out in the sticks.  

7 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

You’re welcome & in that webpage they’re listed which tests are acceptable. I have no experience with rapid tests but believe the antigen tests they list are considered rapid tests. Several posts show the results of people’s research about those types of tests.

UPDATED: What types of COVID-19 tests are accepted?

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

• Antigen tests include: 
    • Rapid antigen test
    • Viral antigen test
    • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay,
    • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
    • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence
  • NAAT include: 
    • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
    • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
    • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
    • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
    • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
    • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
    • Isothermal amplification
    • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

Wow, this is way over my paygrade!  I think the ships need to say where to go and what test so people have that warm and fuzzy feeling all will be OK when they get to the port.  Or is that just me as I don't understand all that stuff?

What about peace of mind for all the cruisers already stressed with the extra stuff.  Would it be that hard for the cruise ships to make sure you got in to get your test first and get it in time and then you knew you got the right test....keeping in mind people coming into Florida without vehicles to travel, so walking distance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Did you contact CVS to ask about whether Princess is one of the certain cruise line bookings that’s participating?

If not then Princess should begin to participate in this program.

I was doing a lot of sofa surfing late last night.  At this time, only NCL has a contract with CVS.  I did a few mock bookings with CVS.  They do allow reservations 2 weeks ahead.  That's a good thing.  Testing sites are not very convenient, but within 10 miles.  I am hoping that if this test is good enough for NCL, it is good enough for Princess.  

5 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Some of the BinexNow tests are home testing kits, which will not be accepted as the tests have to be medically supervised.  Too bad ... that would make life a lot easier.  

Walgreens offers the rapid antigen test but the closest one to us here in San Francisco is in Oregon.  Really??  It's not like we are out in the sticks.  

I saw that Walgreens did offer Rapid Tests.  Ran into 2 problems...location (nothing near me) and  availability (none available).  Again, if you can find them, will they be accepted by Princess.

Again, it would be to everyone's advantage if Princess provided clearer instructions and teamed up with someone.  I am slightly more informed but not confident.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I just looked up my account on Walgreens website.  I received the ID Now rapid antigen test.  You drive thru they hand you a swap in a sealed bag.  You swab then put back in bag, reseal it and hand back.  20 min later you have results

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was doing a lot of sofa surfing late last night.  At this time, only NCL has a contract with CVS.  I did a few mock bookings with CVS.  They do allow reservations 2 weeks ahead.  That's a good thing.  Testing sites are not very convenient, but within 10 miles.  I am hoping that if this test is good enough for NCL, it is good enough for Princess.  

I saw that Walgreens did offer Rapid Tests.  Ran into 2 problems...location (nothing near me) and  availability (none available).  Again, if you can find them, will they be accepted by Princess.

Again, it would be to everyone's advantage if Princess provided clearer instructions and teamed up with someone.  I am slightly more informed but not confident.

I was dong the same thing and I am going with CVS right before my next cruise. We can either do the PCR test, with results that hopefully come back within 3 days, just under 10 miles to my home or we can do the rapid antigen test but it is more like 25 miles from where we live.  

I really do think Princess is trying to make it easier on us as they did update their statement on which tests are allowable.  And, I'm thinking if it is acceptable on NCL, it should be acceptable on Princess.  If not, they are going to have to turn at least half of their passengers away at check in ... I just don't think they will do that.  

I saw someone posted that the double pack of BiNex rapid antigen tests is available at Sam's Club.  They are like $10 for each test.  I know they don't want to have people lining up at the terminal but it would be great if they could have a nurse or pharmacist supervise us taking the test right at the pier.  That's actually cheap enough to take one at home to make sure we don't head to the pier if we test positive and then take one there at the terminal.  That might create a huge back up, though and right when they are trying to avoid that.  

• Like 2

Below is the language from Princess Website.  I have used Walgreens before and received the antigen test;  with results in 20 min.  Since Princess accepts this test;  I am going with it.  No stress and no pressure.  Go online make reservation 24-72 hrs from sail date(remember for those flying in a day early) the test is 72 from sail date).  

We will also require ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative, medically-observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings.

These companies that are doing the testing are making a boat load of money. When we got our COVID shots I asked the pharmacist how much he was making per shot and how mant shots he was giving a day. He told me that he was making $3600 a day clear giving COVID shots.

My Walgreens will only allow me to make a reservation 2 days in advance. We sail on 8/22 and the web site only allows 2 days in advance reservations. If I can't get a reservation on Tuesday the 17th for Thursday the 19th I'm screwed.

Edited by Eaglecw

3 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

These companies that are doing the testing are making a boat load of money. When we got our COVID shots I asked the pharmacist how much he was making per shot and how mant shots he was giving a day. He told me that he was making $3600 a day clear giving COVID shots.

Thus should concern us how?

• Like 1

I called my doctor yesterday. They do rapid covid testing. I was able to book an appointment on October 4th since we sail on the 6th. My next step is to call my insurance and to confirm testing is free. I’m ok paying my copay to see the doctor just hoping the test doesn’t cost anything. This is for our 3 day cruise. We want to check Majestic out before our 7 day in December. In addition Walgreens is my back up plan. I hope by the time we cruise they still have tests. But I’m not stressing about it. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

My Walgreens will only allow me to make a reservation 2 days in advance. We sail on 8/22 and the web site only allows 2 days in advance reservations. If I can't get a reservation on Tuesday the 17th for Thursday the 19th I'm screwed.

What are you worried about?  If YOU cannot make a booking more than two days in advance, then NO ONE ELSE can either.  Just set your alarm if concerned and should be NP.

I just tried to schedule an appointment at our local CVS on 8/19. No appointments available which I find rather odd, there was all kinds of appointments last night when I was playing around with it. This is all BS as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I was dong the same thing and I am going with CVS right before my next cruise. We can either do the PCR test, with results that hopefully come back within 3 days, just under 10 miles to my home or we can do the rapid antigen test but it is more like 25 miles from where we live.  

Where did you find the rapid antigen test 25 miles from where you live?

1 hour ago, mellon1 said:

Wow, this is way over my paygrade!  I think the ships need to say where to go and what test so people have that warm and fuzzy feeling all will be OK when they get to the port.  Or is that just me as I don't understand all that stuff?

Those technical terms are also way over my paygrade! 🥴

Princess should do like Hawaii pre-travel tests & make arrangements with testing locations they determine will provide Princess with acceptable test results.

Many of us were already struggling to complete the pre-boarding requirements using their wonky MC app and now we have to figure out how to get an acceptable test. If CC posts are any indication about the number of people canceling due to the testing requirement, they need to provide acceptable testing locations to prevent more cancelations. For my next 2 cruises I can drive to the port but if flying I would cancel the cruise due to the uncertainty of getting timely test results to board the ship.

If vaccinated guests arrive before getting test results within 3 days of sailing they won’t pay for any expenses. As I recall only unvaccinated passengers are tested at the port ($150 which also includes a pre-departure test plus needing a 3 day test which is additional) & if testing positive Princess provides a 100% FCC, shoreside care & travel home for them & their entire party.

So vaccinated guests who cannot board if test results are delayed get nothing but unvaccinated passengers (maximum of 5%) when testing positive at the port have their care & getting home for free. In my opinion that should include vaccinated guests whose test results were delayed.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

There are a number of them .... the closest is in Walnut Creek.  There is one in Burlingame and several in San Francisco.  

Thanks for the reply. I'm Northeast of the Bay Area, and there's nothing anywhere near where I am for the rapid test.

1 hour ago, Eaglecw said:

It just shows how much money these people are making from the government giving FREE COVID shots. The FREE COVID tests aren't FREE.

So time and labor costs don't count? really???????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Some of the BinexNow tests are home testing kits, which will not be accepted as the tests have to be medically supervised.  …

The “BinexNow Home Test” includes the remote online medical supervision. The “BinexNow Self Test” does not. Just bought the home test online as I don’t trust I can get a PCR test result in time. (Ship leaves on a Sunday, flight leaves on Saturday, test on thursday most likely will not get results before flight if demand is high. Not many rapid antigen text sites in East Phoenix Valley so went with the home test. Do labs work 24/7? I doubt it. Just thankful I have a month now to work out a backup if BinexNow Home Test is a bust. Shame on all cruise lines for making passengers scramble to get tested and results  back in 3 days time after booking and flights arranged with no guarantee of timely PCR results reporting.

There is one Walgreens in Southern California (Fountain Valley) but getting an appointment is next to impossible (none).  ID NOW 

Just did a mock run.  1 appointment available tomorrow afternoon (only can book for next two days).

This is becoming a keystone cops fiasco.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

As I recall only unvaccinated passengers are tested at the port ($150 which also includes a pre-departure test plus needing a 3 day test which is additional) & if testing positive Princess provides a 100% FCC, shoreside care & travel home for them & their entire party.

This isn't quite correct.  The unvaccinated also have to show up at port with a negative covid test taken within 3 days before boarding.  Then once at the port they are again tested again by Princess so they can board.  So everyone vaxed or not must have a covid test 3 days before boarding. 

• Like 1