Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

32 minutes ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

Musky Mike, I just came back from our local Walgreens pharmacy. You are correct, the tests are free and they have up to three different types of tests available. The rapid diagnostic test will have your result back in 24 hours by E-mail. Go to walgreens.com/covid for all the information to make an appointment. Make sure you enter your city and state for the nearest Walgreens to make an appointment. The site will show you all the information along with videos. Just enter your personal information along with a few questions, very easy. I hope this helps out some folks.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

For Princess approved/required test............COST ??

32 minutes ago, Coral said:

I just wanted to let you know how my process went. I did the test and asked how long it would take. They said I would have the results in 60 minutes. I went back to my office and at 90 minutes I called - I just wanted to make sure it was not inconclusive and that they had a result. I didn't know if they would give me the results over the phone. The pharmacist told me to hold on, he came back and asked me for my birthday and then told me the test was negative. He was surprised I did not receive the results yet via email. The email is sent from a lab.

I waited 24 hours and called the lab (it was in the paperwork they gave me). The woman said "they were behind"..... Though she then did tell me my results and immediately emailed me. 

So if you don't get a response quickly - call the lab.

When I got the paperwork - I could tell that Walgreens had the results in 20 minutes. I don't know if the lab dropped the ball on just mine that day but a friend had a similar situation 24 hours later.

For Princess required/approved test.........COST ??

1 minute ago, BettyNL said:

For Princess required/approved test.........COST ??

I did this as I was exposed to someone with COVID. There was no cost. 

The results I got in email would be acceptable for Princess.

1 hour ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

Musky Mike, I just came back from our local Walgreens pharmacy. You are correct, the tests are free and they have up to three different types of tests available. The rapid diagnostic test will have your result back in 24 hours by E-mail. Go to walgreens.com/covid for all the information to make an appointment. Make sure you enter your city and state for the nearest Walgreens to make an appointment. The site will show you all the information along with videos. Just enter your personal information along with a few questions, very easy. I hope this helps out some folks.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

There are 2 types of rapid test, only the BinaxNow is the antigen test required by Princess  (in addition to PCR).  We get tested 2x/week at work when counts are high. It is easy and accurate. 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 2:35 PM, voljeep said:

GREAT - we've got a location about 7 miles from our house

I e-mailed them and they can't get the results back fast enough. They send the sample to Southern California, 1 to 2 days and then it takes another 2 days to get the results. We are looking at Walgreens. 

For everyone thinking of Walgreens, be aware that their rapid diagnostic test called ID now is a genetic test, it is not an antigen or pcr test.  In the phx area, that is the only rapid test available.  Their rapid antigen test is only showing as available in Washington state when I go to schedule it.   Not sure if Princess will accept their ID now test.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do know that Walgreens does offer 3 tests,

Only the Antigen and PCR are Approved.

The third is a rapid molecular non PCR test that is not approved.

Double check that you are getting an ANTIGEN OR PCR only

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Coral said:

The rapid test does say 24 hours to get the results to you though - they know within 20-30 minutes.

My area only had 2 of the 3 tests. Rapid and PCR.

Our area Walgreens did not allow appointments that day online. My coworker called Walgreens and they told her to schedule it for the next day and once she was in the system, she could come that day. It was a situation where they needed to know. If you are going to do this, make sure you schedule a day out or call Walgreens and see if you can schedule the next day and show up that day.

I was just told my my local Walgreens that mine does NOT have the rapid antigen test that no walgreens in our state, Oklahoma, has them. They do have the rapid test but not antigen. Going to plan B now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, P.A. said:

I was just told my my local Walgreens that mine does NOT have the rapid antigen test that no walgreens in our state, Oklahoma, has them. They do have the rapid test but not antigen. Going to plan B now.

Based on what my TA said, who contacted Princess medical about my question on NAAT Rapid and at home antigen test- the FAQ section is going to be modified.  Based on what they told him via email, I think you'll be able to use the rapid test- but keep watching. 

Both the PCR and IDNow, which is the rapid one are NAAT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

The FAQ link for USA cruises takes you to the UK FAQ! 🤣

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks…I appreciate their bold UPDATED notations. 👍 

Well I appreciated that they bolded the updated portions but am a little nervous that they took the "beginning August 15th" wording out of the testing requirements.  I will assume that this was a mistake and they aren't saying 48 hours before we are supposed to sailaway that they expect those on the August 8th cruise to provide a test.  It will be a very empty ship if that is the case as everyone will get turned away at the port!

17 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@Coralwas your test run by Minute Clinic or Walgreens? I have to get the results in time to print them off at Staples (no printer now that I've gone smartphone)

It was a regular Walgreens but the company that emailed me was PWN Health. I had problems getting the results. The email never arrived until I called them. Then it was quickly sent. This was on 7/15. So a few weeks ago. They maybe doing things differently now.

• Thanks 1

For what is is worth, this is the latest "Live Chat" I just did with Princess.  Hope it helps.  It's a long read.

Can I use a home covid test kit?

Renee 3:35:21 PM

What if it is a rapid test?

Aubrey 3:35:21 PM

Yes. Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

Aubrey 3:35:26 PM

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.

Aubrey 3:35:29 PM

• The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.

Aubrey 3:35:31 PM

• The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test

Aubrey 3:35:45 PM

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include:

• Rapid antigen test

• Viral antigen test

• Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay,

• Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or

• Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

Aubrey 3:35:49 PM

NAAT include:

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction

• RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR

• Quantitative PCR (qPCR)

• Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test

• Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test

• Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test

• Isothermal amplification

• Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)

• Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

Me 3:36:13 PM

Walgreens offers an IDNow supposedly antigen test. Will that qualify?

Aubrey 3:36:36 PM

As long as it is antigen and meets the criteria posted above, yes.

Aubrey 3:37:12 PM

We require all guests to produce a negative COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings.

Aubrey 3:37:14 PM

If you do not receive your COVID-19 test results in time, Princess will work to re-book you on a later date, or you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

Aubrey 3:37:29 PM

The 3-day period is 3 days before your cruise's departure. The 3-day timeframe provides you with more flexibility than a 72-hour timeframe. By using the 3-day window, your test validity does not depend on the time of your embarkation or the time of the day that your test was administered. For example, if your cruise departure is 4:00 PM on a Sunday, you may board with a negative COVID-19 test that was administered any time on the prior Thursday or after.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

This outlines it well with changes in Bold type updated August 6/21 

if the covid-19 pre cruise test is positive they will rebook you or give a 100 percent FCC. Sounds reasonable to me 

We will take test Friday for our Saturday flight & Sunday cruise embarkation 

thanks for posts that update 

• Like 4

To many variables in this testing. Just can't fly across the country to such a questionable situation. Canceling because Princess is not helping with a solution. We went to Cancun in May and the hotel had Covid testing on site at a small cost. That's customer service!!!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Coral said:

The Walgreens test I took was the Abbott ID Now which is a NAAT:

The ID NOW COVID-19 test is a rapid, molecular point-of-care test that detects COVID-19 in 13 minutes or less. It is used on our ID NOW platform.

https://www.abbott.com/IDNOW/IDNOW-COVID-19-FAQ.html

Please let me know if this test is considered valid for your boarding (After you board).  Was it "free"?

20 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Please let me know if this test is considered valid for your boarding (After you board).  Was it "free"?

It was free. Though Walgreens has my insurance information but 3 weeks later, they have not billed my insurance.

I don't have a cruise booked. I took it as I was exposed to someone who had COVID last month and my employer wanted the results.

It meets the requirements listed on Princess's website.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

Anyone got a call from Princess Corporate office?  I got a call today wanting to get some feedback in regard to my cancellations.

The only call I've received from Princess was yesterday when we got an automated message about having to wear masks on our cruise this Sunday.  It's good that they wanted feedback.  Hope you gave it to them!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

@Coralwas your test run by Minute Clinic or Walgreens? I have to get the results in time to print them off at Staples (no printer now that I've gone smartphone)

Why can't you just show them the electronic version on the phone?  Don't see why they need a hardcopy.  Not necessary per the FAQ.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

Anyone got a call from Princess Corporate office?  I got a call today wanting to get some feedback in regard to my cancellations.

Did you suggest that they should have done testing at point of embarkation as a service to customers travelling some distance and trying to coordinate this recent requirement?

• Like 4