Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

What is not known is home kits, which specific rapid tests, and turn around time.

Princess updated their FAQ to state that home kits which incorporate a video & audio link to a medical professional to oversee the administration and analysis of the test results are acceptable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Wow.  How much do the test cost?

In California most testing options are free. We have 2 tests set up for the Thursday before we sail and we won’t pay for either test. We test with our health plan (Kaiser) and then pick another test location just to ensure we get our results in time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We live in  Northern California and are going on two cruises.  For the Rapid Antigen test we are paying $129 pp so that is a cost to us of $516 total for two cruises, two people. 

My Walgreens test didn't ask for insurance but they have my insurance on file. 3 weeks later - they have not charged my insurance and their Q&A says I won't pay for it.

Walgreens offers free* COVID-19 testing is available to patients ages 3+. If you have insurance, you will be asked to show your insurance card at the Diagnostic Test appointment. The lab may bill your insurer, but you will not receive a bill from Walgreens or any of our lab partners.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

My Walgreens test didn't ask for insurance but they have my insurance on file. 3 weeks later - they have not charged my insurance and their Q&A says I won't pay for it.

Walgreens offers free* COVID-19 testing is available to patients ages 3+. If you have insurance, you will be asked to show your insurance card at the Diagnostic Test appointment. The lab may bill your insurer, but you will not receive a bill from Walgreens or any of our lab partners.

Great, Walgreens did my covid shot. Did you have to give a reason for taking the test or is it billed to insurance (& paid) for any reason? 

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

Good to know for the future.  Our Walgreens did not offer the Rapid test at the time I had to book.  Royal, like Princess changed the rules on short notice and we scrambled to get appts. done any way possible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, victory2020 said:

Great, Walgreens did my covid shot. Did you have to give a reason for taking the test or is it billed to insurance (& paid) for any reason? 

There is a questioner. I took the test because I had been exposed to someone who had COVID but had no symptoms. That was one of the questions. I did not do this for travel.

I just went through the questioner again because it has been several weeks. I said I had no symptoms and had not been exposed to anyone and it said I could test. There is an area where you can say you live somewhere where COVID is high. I said no even though I do live in an area.

I don't know if they are billing my insurance or not. It has not shown up on my insurance yet (I did mine July 15th I think). The Q&A says I won't be charged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The time I was tested earlier this summer at a county site when I had some symptoms, they did not ask for my insurance info. When I registered for a CVS test for my cruise in two weeks, they did. Either way, there is no cost to me. I do wonder, though, if insurance companies will try to charge people who schedule multiple tests on the same day.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, geoherb said:

The time I was tested earlier this summer at a county site when I had some symptoms, they did not ask for my insurance info. When I registered for a CVS test for my cruise in two weeks, they did. Either way, there is no cost to me. I do wonder, though, if insurance companies will try to charge people who schedule multiple tests on the same day.

If your insurance company doesn't cover, it would then be covered through the gov’t program.

Edited by Jadn13

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

I do wonder, though, if insurance companies will try to charge people who schedule multiple tests on the same day.

From my experience I have scheduled 2 tests on the same day and my insurance has not billed me. I did this on 2 occasions for trips to Hawaii. I test with Kaiser (my health insurance) and do a test at an urgent care site at SMF. I’m doing this same thing again for my upcoming cruise and I don’t believe I will be billed by Kaiser for the second test. But even if I was billed I feel better having a backup option which would be minimal in cost compared to the cost of a vacation.

• Like 4

I chatted with Medicare.  They said that tests (PCR) are covered by them. I asked about the rapid antigen tests and person said it isn't listed but should still be covered.  No prescription needed to take test.

I checked my Medicare and PPO health insurance.  No Explanations of Benefits/claims for any of the taken at Walgreens (3x).  

As I said, my cruise is still a ways out.  I will check back once this process has begun.  If need be, I will test PCR then rapid.  I know what it is like to stress over getting the results back in a timely manner.  

36 minutes ago, tuputts said:

I am booked for October 31 and am wondering if Kaiser in Northern California will give me an appointment that far out and if Walgreens will give me one also.

I would wait. A lot can happen between now and Oct 1st.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Have a great cruise!

Thanks, we are certainly going to need it.  After Covid test, we came home to find our refrigerator was leaking water all over the floor --- this is the 2nd time we have had problem with the compressor.  I had my husband unplug it, we emptied it out and a service repairman will be here when we return from cruise.  When it rain, it pours.  Definitely looking forward to returning to our happy place, Alaska.

30 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Just got back from taking Rapid Antigen test.  Got there at 9 AM and got results back for my husband and myself by 11 AM -- both negative. 

I LOVE reading good news. Thanks for posting. ♡♡♡

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thanks, we are certainly going to need it.  After Covid test, we came home to find our refrigerator was leaking water all over the floor --- this is the 2nd time we have had problem with the compressor.  I had my husband unplug it, we emptied it out and a service repairman will be here when we return from cruise.  When it rain, it pours.  Definitely looking forward to returning to our happy place, Alaska.

No......! Better it happened today and not 3 days from now.

Go be in your Happy Place! I was talking with my doctor the other day and he has gone to Mexico several times during COVID. He asked where my Happy Place was and I said "Alaska".

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

No......! Better it happened today and not 3 days from now.

Go be in your Happy Place! I was talking with my doctor the other day and he has gone to Mexico several times during COVID. He asked where my Happy Place was and I said "Alaska".

SOOOOOOOOO glad it happened today.  Hopefully, you will be able to get back out there and start cruising again --- we all need to go to our happy place. 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

My strategy is to take a test 2 weeks before cruise, then semi-quarantine.Take another test 2 days before the flight, hopefully that will cover all bases when I get to the ship

Why bother with the test 2 weeks before the cruise? You don't say you are going to do anything different based on its results. I don't see the point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Why bother with the test 2 weeks before the cruise? You don't say you are going to do anything different based on its results. I don't see the point.

Just want to know that I'm not testing positive & to also know how/where/how long it takes etc. I'm what you would call a super planner.

Edited by victory2020
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Good to know for the future.  Our Walgreens did not offer the Rapid test at the time I had to book.  Royal, like Princess changed the rules on short notice and we scrambled to get appts. done any way possible. 

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

Just got back from taking Rapid Antigen test.  Got there at 9 AM and got results back for my husband and myself by 11 AM -- both negative. 

That's good news. Where you have it at? Cost?

5 hours ago, geoherb said:

I called my ins, BCBS, and they said the test is free but if a provider is seen first then it applies just like reg ins, co-pay, etc. However, test NOT COVERED if used for travel. So when Walgreens says no cost to you, wondering if that means because their assuming ins will pay. Not sure. May just have to say I was in contact with someone.😝

2 hours ago, tuputts said:

I am booked for October 31 and am wondering if Kaiser in Northern California will give me an appointment that far out and if Walgreens will give me one also.

We are booked for an October 31st cruise also.  We're waiting until final payment date of September 1st  while we keep checking the Princess FAQ's for updates.  Then we will look into scheduling a test with Kaiser or somewhere else.....