Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

Additional Resource For Those Who Will Be Looking To Test In Seattle

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/covid-19/testing.aspx

**I do not have  first hand experience with testing in these locations so please

do your research and call the facilities with follow up questions. 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, P.A. said:

I totally understand the frustration..I'm right there with ya. However, we have to remember WE have chosen to resume cruising and because of that then WE have to abide by the rules and their only doing it to keep us ALL safe. If you don't want to be tested or wear mask, then simply don't go..that is your choice. I'm all for doing what can be done to keep us safe. I certainly don't want to be stuck on a cruise ship like others were last year. I also don't want to get sick while onboard and have to stay in my cabin. Therefore I will comply and not be complaining. Praying we even get to go. Our cruise is in 2 weeks and a lot can change. Have a BLESSED day.🙂👍🙏🚢

It is not a for-better-for-worst situation.  WE are not married to the booking.  When things changed, we tried to comply and if we can't, then there should be an option to cancel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The majority of testing at Southampton is done in a drive-through facility away from the terminal. You only enter the terminal when you have  received your negative test result, and arrival times are strictly monitored and enforced to ensure that the system flows smoothly, and that large groups do not develop. So it can be done.

However, I guess that unlike in the UK, the majority of US cruisers do not drive to the port, but it would not be beyond the ingenuity of Princess to develop a satellite test facility adjacent to the port, that passengers would transit on an appointment basis.

It just seems to me, as an interested observer, that Princess are copping out here, placing the onus unfairly on passengers to get test results, rather than helping facilitate the process themselves.

This was such a last minute change. All of the cruise lines are scrambling to get the information out to passengers. I don't see how they all could set up a drive through facility and obtain all of the tests in such short notice. The logistics are just not feasible. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Folks on our Nov. 30th cruise are cancelling because of this update, and we're seriously thinking of taking that route, as well---no fun to have to be masked virtually everywhere when we're fully vaccinated.  AND the final tipping point is having to obtain a negative covid test within 3 days of embarkation.  This really takes the fun out of getting back to cruising.

Our final payment coming up right around the corner--Sept. 1st.  Time for a decision we hoped we wouldn't have to consider.

For us as well. Our Nov 20 trip is also now off the table if these new rules are in still in place. Our final payment is due in a few weeks, but as it's only a few hundred dollars thanks to all our FCC, we will still pay it. I will be confirming with our TA before that time that Princess's temporary but helpful cancellation policy still means that we can cancel by late October and still have everything refunded as yet more FCC. Even so, I'm not confident that things will be back to enough semblance of normal by that time to allow us to sail. Starting to look like our next trip, in February, will be our first one in over two years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

Today's article by CC Staff "Which cruise line requires a C-19 vaccine". Under the Princess header it states "Acceptable Vaccines : Princess will only accept passengers vaccinated fully with either Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson. Mixed doses are not currently accepted, unless the mixed doses are both mRNA vaccines (Pfizer/Moderna)"

No mention is made of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine. I know Regal Princess have been running Staycation trips from Southampton for a week now. 

We've paid deposits to Princess for cruises (from Southampton) to Norway, Iceland and Greenland. Is there an official exemption to the above ruling?

The Cruise Critic article is not accurate.  Two doses of the AZ vaccine is acceptable as it is approved by the WHO.  Here are the relevant passages that we in the US can see on the Princess FAQ page:

image.png.65e91e884c281a118d3c056edaa126bf.png

image.png.306e619fd4c0c1d165900cac689c1fee.png

In addition, the US CDC specifies this definition of what they consider to be fully vaccinated:

image.png.7b4fa8494fdde3686064fc5311424592.png

I've researched and relooked at these requirements frequently as my husband received his vaccines through the AstraZeneca vaccine trial here in the US and we are boarding the Majestic Princess this Sunday.  Hopefully CC will edit the erroneous information but at least for now no worries about whether or not the vaccines you received in the UK are accepted.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, landlocked12 said:

So they are only adding new burdens on vaccinated cruisers.  Good one Princess. 

With many countries requiring all passengers must be vaccinated the unvaccinated will be slim to none. The only place for the unvaccinated to travel to is Florida.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Is there going to be a shipboard employee(s) constantly asking to see/scan the medallion

of any passenger not wearing a mask?

Perhaps someone in Ship Security uniform be able to make people do that.

There will be someone who do not want to wear the mask or wear the mask in the wrong way, such as partially covering the nose or mouth.  

Edited by CeCe_
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alcairns said:

I agree - everybody must remember two words - “Diamond Princess”. Another incident like that will not only wipe out Princess but also the cruise industry. With this in mind you may  understand Princess’s caution!

We do not disagree of the protocol.  We are upset there is no official note from Princess for FCC or Cash back cancellation.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Well, this creates a massive problem for me and my wife.  For our next cruise we'll be flying in 2 days prior to our cruise.  Hopefully this will change by the time we cruise, otherwise I don't know what we're going to do.  Our travel plans are already set.

A good friend just returned from a 14 day river cruise in Europe. All passengers were tested every day. They also wore masks. 

We're sailing on Majestic in 2 weeks and will get the test. We have many options around here. I assume if I get the test on Thursday afternoon for the Sunday sailing we will be ok (We board around 11:30). Masks don't bother us, either. We pretty much got used to them.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Condocat said:

Does anyone know if the BinaxNow "home" test by Abbott Labs is accepted as proof for your Covid test?  Many airlines are accepting it for international flights.  That would make life so much easier! 

No because the test has to be witnessed by a pharmacy tech or other medical professional. They have to be sure that you are doing the test properly and that you are sending in your sample and not a sample from someone else. 

• Like 1

Whelp Princess isn't helping matters on the communication front.  They finally updated the outdated COVID-19 Guest Protocols page and listed this without mentioning the August 15th date that testing is required:

image.thumb.png.950803ab725596ec432825bf53b6717e.png

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/covid-19-guest-protocols/

I wish Princess would have ONE source for information instead of having policies listed in multiple, often conflicting, locations.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

This was such a last minute change. All of the cruise lines are scrambling to get the information out to passengers. I don't see how they all could set up a drive through facility and obtain all of the tests in such short notice. The logistics are just not feasible. 

True - the question is why the change was made at such short notice ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

True - the question is why the change was made at such short notice ?

I have read on the boards that it was a CDC recommendation.  If that's true or not I don't know but I can't imagine that all of the cruise lines would be scrambling now if they weren't coerced into it. The only line that I know of who was sailing unvaccinated was Royal Caribbean but now the islands in the Caribbean are requiring everyone be vaccinated so that has changed as well.   Things on land are changing as well as far as masks are concerned.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I had to learn the heard way.  I took a test on a Saturday.  It wasn't until after the test that I learned that the 72 hours was not a guarantee.  I was told the test would not be picked up until Sunday (for a Tuesday flight).  I was told FedEx did not work the weekends.  I was told that FedEx did not deliver on Sunday.  PCR tests require 24 hours at the lab upon arrival.

I was in a panic.  I did call FedEx.  I did call the pharmacy.  By some miracle, my test was shipped out on Saturday, over night delivery, arrived on Sunday, and received confirmation of arrival.  My results were sent back by 12:01 PM/midnight Monday.  Don't know where the miscommunication came from.  

This is the exact issue that we're going to have. Our first cruise will be on a Tuesday.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sailor moon said:

I wonder how the masking is going to affect the excursions we have booked for Alaska. Two are Princess excursions and one is private. 🤔

I would double-mask if transit buses are part of the tour.   We also have two excursions paid a day before yesterday.  

Edited by CeCe_

11 hours ago, johnasmith99 said:

We chose this because it was to be an all vaccinated cruise. Now we have to get the Covid test, on our own, even though we are vaccinated!  Masks will also be required in many indoor areas!  Can we say no, we no longer want to cruise, please give us a refund?  I know they are in a difficult position but that is not how we want to celebrate our 51st anniversary.  We completely missed our 50th because of the lockdown.  This is our first Princess cruise since 1972.  We normally cruise Royal Caribbean where we are Diamond.  We were looking forward to a different experience but not like this. 

I hope Princess will allow people to cancel and give people a refund. These are unusual times so I hope they offer some flexibility.  If you call them about canceling your cruise, would you share what they say?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

If you wear eyeglasses be prepared for them to fog up.  

DH bought some wipes to prevent his glasses from fogging up when we started going back to hockey games and everyone had to wear masks.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have read on the boards that it was a CDC recommendation.  If that's true or not I don't know but I can't imagine that all of the cruise lines would be scrambling now if they weren't coerced into it. The only line that I know of who was sailing unvaccinated was Royal Caribbean but now the islands in the Caribbean are requiring everyone be vaccinated so that has changed as well.   Things on land are changing as well as far as masks are concerned.

Agree. It appears all cruise lines sailing out of the US are changing/adjusting their policies right now. 

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

My opinion is that the decision was made to eliminate a large group gathering waiting to be tested and waiting for results at port. They could be hosting a super spreader just by testing. Nobody pays attention to boarding times and shows up at their convenience so scheduling wouldn't matter.  If they only have to test unvaccinated passengers they can board the ship safer and faster.

Well in the case of Holland America they could cut the time in Ketchikan, get to Seattle early, get everyone off the ship early, then leave Seattle a few hours later if need be.  I don't think anybody would complain about that, instead it was all dumped on the passengers, I'm sure nobody at Carnival corporation bothered to check on availability of tests, appointment windows, and time to get results.  

Edit: and strictly enforce boarding times

Edited by atexsix

17 hours ago, drmel said:

I really don't want to wear a mask all week in Alaska.  We just cancelled everything.😢

Did you have insurance to reimburse you for the cancellation?  Or has Princess agreed to give you, at least, FCC? 

(I am also considering cancelling because I don't want to wear a mask all the time.  It is very uncomfortable and it seems down right unhealthy to me! Also I have seen how mask wearing changes people's behavior and it's not a good or pleasant change.  The entire atmosphere onboard will be tense ... not what I was hoping for.  I'm sad ...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

I hope Princess will allow people to cancel and give people a refund. These are unusual times so I hope they offer some flexibility.  If you call them about canceling your cruise, would you share what they say?

I am also interested to hear the outcome.  Thank you.

• Like 1