Seattle hotel safety

labgalbella

We will be staying at the Motiff Hotel in downtown Seattle in 2 weeks before our cruise. I have been reading about the high crime rate and wondering how safe the area is. Wanting to go to Pike Market during the day and staying close to the hotel. Any suggestions as we are seniors?

We are seniors too but, unless you are "frail elderly", take the same precautions that you would when traveling to any large city anywhere in the world regardless of age. 

Be aware of your surroundings, avoid being alone on dark streets, keep your valuables secured and inaccessible except to yourself, ignore panhandlers and people wanting you to sign a petition, look as though you know where you are going even if you don't. etc.

You are in a good area.  Several blocks south of the Motif is less desirable but based on your interest of the market you will have no problem with safety walking.  You will most likely see some homeless along the way although most of them want nothing to do with you either.

• Like 1

We were in Seattle prior to our cruise on July 30th. Stayed at the Fairmont Olympic with our son and DIL. The hotel recommended to stay off 3rd Ave. Good advice.

We walked to a Walgreens a few blocks from the hotel and crossed 3rd Ave. There were massive homeless wandering - it was mind blowing how one city block would make such a difference. That said, we were not bothered at all and did not feel our safety was compromised.

Seattle is just like any other big city - use common sense and you will be fine.

8 hours ago, DogLover said:

We were in Seattle prior to our cruise on July 30th. Stayed at the Fairmont Olympic with our son and DIL. The hotel recommended to stay off 3rd Ave. Good advice.

We walked to a Walgreens a few blocks from the hotel and crossed 3rd Ave. There were massive homeless wandering - it was mind blowing how one city block would make such a difference. That said, we were not bothered at all and did not feel our safety was compromised.

Seattle is just like any other big city - use common sense and you will be fine.

Hi, I am staying at the Fairmont next week😃....wow, I can say I am sailing next week!!!!!!

How did you like the hotel and where did you have dinner? 

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I am staying at the Fairmont next week😃....wow, I can say I am sailing next week!!!!!!

How did you like the hotel and where did you have dinner? 

We loved the Fairmont and would stay there again. For dinner, we tried a restaurant right by the hotel called Purple Wine Cafe ... it was just ok - I wouldn't recommend. We had breakfast in the Olympic Bar/Restaurant at the hotel. Food, service and coffee were all excellent but we didn't care for the couch style seating ... too low and very uncomfortable for dining.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

5 minutes ago, DogLover said:

We loved the Fairmont and would stay there again. For dinner, we tried a restaurant right by the hotel called Purple Wine Cafe ... it was just ok - I wouldn't recommend. We had breakfast in the Olympic Bar/Restaurant at the hotel. Food, service and coffee were all excellent but we didn't care for the couch style seating ... too low and very uncomfortable for dining.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Hi again😃..oh wow, I was going to try the Purple but now I will look for something else.  I will speak with the Concierge and see what they recommend.

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi again, I should have asked......what was it about the Purple Cafe that was not pleasing to you?

Hi Lois,

I typed out an entire reply and it went "poof" when I hit enter. Grrrrrr.

Long story short, we didn't have a reservation so at 4:45 pm on a Thursday there was only one table available for walk-in but we had to be done by 6pm for a rez 😞 We were given the option to sit at the bar, which we did, but not ideal with 4 adults. The place was only about 1/3 full (I'm sure they're having hiring issues just like the rest of the world) but even so, it was VERY noisy.

The bartender was very busy and involved training a new employee so service was slow and inattentive. We finally ordered wine (good but expensive) and food (calamari appetizer, Burger with sweet potato fries, Chicken Marsala & Grilled cheese with tomato soup & side salad.) Food was good, but not wow great.

We felt it was a lackluster experience. Given the price point and uninspiring service, we would not go back. There are no doubt many other options in the area. Hope this helps 🙂

Edited by DogLover
fix typo

1 hour ago, DogLover said:

Hi Lois,

I typed out an entire reply and it went "poof" when I hit enter. Grrrrrr.

Long story short, we didn't have a reservation so at 4:45 pm on a Thursday there was only one table available for walk-in but we had to be done by 6pm for a rez 😞 We were given the option to sit at the bar, which we did, but not ideal with 4 adults. The place was only about 1/3 full (I'm sure they're having hiring issues just like the rest of the world) but even so, it was VERY noisy.

The bartender was very busy and involved training a new employee so service was slow and inattentive. We finally ordered wine (good but expensive) and food (calamari appetizer, Burger with sweet potato fries, Chicken Marsala & Grilled cheese with tomato soup & side salad.) Food was good, but not wow great.

We felt it was a lackluster experience. Given the price point and uninspiring service, we would not go back. There are no doubt many other options in the area. Hope this helps 🙂

Thanks for the reply. Normally I love sitting at the bar😃 (I travel solo) but the lack of service does sound pretty poor.

I’ve stayed at the Motif probably 20 times as a (female) business traveler and never had a problem.  I’ve eaten at the Purple Wine Bar several times and liked it a lot but YMMV. As a tourist I’d go to dinner in one of the many good ones at Pike Place Market. 

Lois, remember than ANY restaurant worldwide can & will have a bad night (we generally manage to find them!)  We're getting to our produce peak right now so I still urge you to ask the concierge to recommend a "farm-to-table" restaurant, even if it requires a cab ride.  Almost all of the local restaurants are experiencing a staff issue so do call & reserve in advance.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, irvington said:

As a tourist I’d go to dinner in one of the many good ones at Pike Place Market. 

I agree.  The number of choices are almost daunting.  I hope Lois R will remember the restaurant that I recommended.  I only found this restaurant because some cruising friends who live in the area suggested that venue when we had lunch together before a cruise on which I was sailing.  

32 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree.  The number of choices are almost daunting.  I hope Lois R will remember the restaurant that I recommended.  I only found this restaurant because some cruising friends who live in the area suggested that venue when we had lunch together before a cruise on which I was sailing.  

Hi rka, you had mentioned Anthony's, right? I have eaten there before.

The State Hotel is in a great location only a couple blocks from Pike Place Market and within a few blocks of the Westlake Center where the monorail is located and also the light rail.  The hotel is only a couple years old so everything is new. Most of the rooms are on the small size although they do have larger rooms with nice views.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 5:18 PM, Lois R said:

Hi rka, you had mentioned Anthony's, right? I have eaten there before.

Yes.  I did.  At both the upscale restaurant as well as the one below it.  Have not tried their street level facility.