Alaska in September…any advice?

Cg52

Even though we live in Alaska we periodically take Alaska cruises and are booked on a B2B pair departing September 17th.  We are going to be prepared for rain (AKA "liquid sunshine").   A waterproof, not water resistant, outer layer is important.

We've taken one other Alaska cruise in September.  It was the last Celebrity cruise of the season in 2013 and the first leg of a B2B as we continued on for a Pacific Coastal itinerary.  A number of our fellow passengers were surprised by the rain.  And we also experienced heavy seas one night (the MDR was about one-fourth full) and also missed Ketchikan the next day due to high winds in the Tongass Narrows.

2 hours ago, Cg52 said:

We are looking at transferring our cruise to September in Alaska. Any advice or suggestions?

It is a challenge packing for Alaska.  It can be warm on your cruise, cold, and/or  rainy.  It is important to have waterproof boots (shoes) and rain gear.  Long and short sleeved shirts and dress in layers. Consider gloves and a warm hat.    Note that the dress requirements are relaxed on cruises in Alaska.  Quite different from European and some Caribbean cruises.  

13 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Even though we live in Alaska we periodically take Alaska cruises and are booked on a B2B pair departing September 17th.  We are going to be prepared for rain (AKA "liquid sunshine").   A waterproof, not water resistant, outer layer is important.

We've taken one other Alaska cruise in September.  It was the last Celebrity cruise of the season in 2013 and the first leg of a B2B as we continued on for a Pacific Coastal itinerary.  A number of our fellow passengers were surprised by the rain.  And we also experienced heavy seas one night (the MDR was about one-fourth full) and also missed Ketchikan the next day due to high winds in the Tongass Narrows.

Are Pacific storms with rough seas a bit more common getting into late September?  Around Vancouver Island?

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Are Pacific storms with rough seas a bit more common getting into late September?  Around Vancouver Island?

Rick:  There was some discussion about weather and sea conditions on the Cruise Critic Alaska forum after the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act passed congress and the dates of the revised Alaska cruise season were released.  I tried to find a specific post by "Heidi13" and couldn't located the one I remember reading.  "Heidi13" was a bridge officer and spent several years on a cruise ship in the Alaska market.  Post this question on the Alaska forum and hopefully he will respond.  

We have been on Alaska itineraries in May, June, July, August and once in September.  On that 2013 September cruise the Century left Vancouver on September 15th.  

We got great weather in Alaska in Sept also.  Lots of the shops are shutting down for the season too as many of them operate in the Caribbean in the winter so you might get yourself some bargains.  Do pack for rain though and slip in a pair of gloves for the viewing of the glaciers.  You DO want to be outside on the top deck for this so you can see and hear the calving.  Have a great cruise.

On 8/8/2021 at 6:33 PM, Cg52 said:

We are looking at transferring our cruise to September in Alaska. Any advice or suggestions?

23 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Our last Alaska cruise started mid-September and the weather was wonderful. I think it's a great time of year to do it.

23 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've cruised to Alaska in September and the weather was great, but there are no guarantees.

One other thing to consider if you're a shopper:  that's the end of the season and there will be bargains in the stores.

Good question and good answers, we are booked with friends for September 2022 and and it’ll be our first Alaska cruise and we’ve been wondering what it could be like. Fingers crossed we are lucky 👍🏻😊

17 minutes ago, MR_T said:

Good question and good answers, we are booked with friends for September 2022 and and it’ll be our first Alaska cruise and we’ve been wondering what it could be like. Fingers crossed we are lucky 👍🏻😊

👍 Good luck!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, keesar said:

Seas can be rough in the open water in September.  I would look for a cruise doing the Inside Passage.  The Gulf of Alaska may be rough that time of year on trips to/from Seward. 

Yes- but now it is Seattle to Seattle only.  But I think the ships go around Vancouver Island in the open Pacific unless I am mistaken.

13 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Rick:  There was some discussion about weather and sea conditions on the Cruise Critic Alaska forum after the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act passed congress and the dates of the revised Alaska cruise season were released.  I tried to find a specific post by "Heidi13" and couldn't located the one I remember reading.  "Heidi13" was a bridge officer and spent several years on a cruise ship in the Alaska market.  Post this question on the Alaska forum and hopefully he will respond.  

We have been on Alaska itineraries in May, June, July, August and once in September.  On that 2013 September cruise the Century left Vancouver on September 15th.  

Thank you I will search for this.  It really does not matter.  Rough seas are a lesser concern than getting a COVID test in the 3 day required time with results, and whether by late Sept the Delta variant has surged enough that masking will be required for the vaccinated on board.

As a past resident of Alaska, I can attest to unpredictable weather.  I remember our first snow in September on Labor Day!  Agree with Northern Aurora on "waterproof" not "water resistance" jacket AND pants AND shoes.  For September and October sailings, I recommend layers with waterproof outer layers including shoes, warm hat, and gloves.

• Like 1